Monday, May 22, 2017

Some Unusual Things

The party finds the path turns to the left of Cauldron Mountain and ends in a river bed and gravel field, with interspersed plants and trees growing throughout.  Sofia sees something odd just eighty feet ahead and moves to investigate it: she sees the bases of three pillars, with no pillars atop them, dating perhaps from the Greek or Roman periods.  They are placed across the bottom of the stream bed.

As she sees these, nine hexes behind her (a fairly safe distance, regarding giving yourself away), are Kismet and Enrico.  They have just heard a very large sound in the direction of 0315, ahead and to the left, but immediately there is no evidence of anything there; whatever it was, it was big.  They are not surprised, however (Kismet rolled a 5).

25 comments:

James Clark said...

Did it sound like a creature? Like a heavy, stone door swinging into or out of place?

Alexis Smolensk said...

It definitely sounded like something alive.

Kismet said...

Kismet looks a LOT like the picture actually.

Shield up in the direction of the noise, sword out and scanning for the source.

He's going to slowly move towards Sofia keeping himself ready for attack and close ranks in the party.

The assumption being, stealth means nothing to something THAT big.

Enrico Guerriero said...

I think you're right about the stealth.

Enrico accompanies Kismet, moving until he either reaches 0909, Sofia tells him to stop, Kismet stops, or something else happens.

Sofia the Monk said...

You two are reading my mind. Sofia closes the distance towards them, moving quietly (in case it matters) to 09010, 0911, 0912, 0913, 0914.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I'll identify Kismet's "slowly move" as half speed, giving him two hexes towards where Sofia was, putting Kismet in 0515. But it would make it easier if you had just given me a hex you wanted to move to.

After all the talk about Enrico's horse, I am still not sure of Enrico's movement.

Guys, please let me make something a little clearer.

When I ask what's in your left and right hands, and what is your move, and what is your armor class, I need to have these things stated as simply as possible.

I don't really need to know what your move will be if you drop your backpack or what it would be if you're wearing your plate, which you're not, etcetera.

If we were gaming at a table, this would be super-simple. I'd ask, "what are you moving?" and you'd say, "four." But with everything in text, scattered over four or five posts since entering the hills and then the mountains, I find myself wandering around the comments trying to find one simple number rather than ask, again.

BUT, this is on me. I have GOT to make myself a table that states on the table what these things are, then put the damn table on my desk top and look at it often enough to memorize it. I'm doing too much of this catch as catch can. I apologize for that.

So, if you can get away from smudgy descriptions of your movement like "Enrico...moving until he either reaches 0909, Sofia tells him to stop, Kismet stops, or something else happens," which is, frankly, 100% useless for me to run as a DM, I promise to get things straighter on the bookkeeping end and we can waste less time.

Once more for the record, then. IN AS FEW WORDS AS POSSIBLE: 1) what is your movement; 2) what is your armor class; 3) what is in your left hand; and 4) what is in your right hand. I only want to know the actual answers, not what the answers might be if the situation changes. If you change the situation later, you can tell me, and we'll adjust the number and the weapon. Okay?

Kismet said...

Ap 5
Ac 6
L hand, Shield
R hand, esp broadsword

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Ap 6
Ac 7
L hand, nothing
R hand, nothing

Enrico Guerriero said...

AP 4
AC 7
LH shield
RH horseman's flail +1

Alexis Smolensk said...

Thank you. Now tell me where you're going, Enrico.

Enrico Guerriero said...

0714

Alexis Smolensk said...

Again, thank you.

From your new positions, you see something large and white moving from 0107 to 0406. It seems to be camouflaged with the stones. In size, you'd guess it to be about as high as the floorboard of a wagon and as long as a wagon and a team of four horses. It is big.

Kismet said...

Well that's no truffle pig.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Just drop my pack and daggers into 0814 if you can Enrico.

Sofia retrieves her daggers, leaving her pack once they are located in 0814.

Kismet said...

Kismet holds his ground and states,

"I think it's one of those lizards we were warned about. I wonder if the hunter's kill is luring it over?"

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

"It fits the description of big and leaping from the brush, Kismet, but I suppose I was expecting something more... green?"

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico drops Sofia's pack in 0814. (Increasing his AP to 5.)

"Maybe it hasn't seen us yet," he whispers, somewhat hopefully.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(At work)

It can likely smell you.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sofia's daggers are obtained; dagger in just one hand, Sofia?

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.

Kismet said...

Alright big critter, give me xp or give me death. This could be good. Or bad, it's pretty big. Much bigger than my mental image of a Komodo dragon. But hey, this is DnD. I should really just expect it.

Kismet said...

Also map looks pretty.

Are these low hanging branches that impede movement? My guess is yes.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Partly. While I remember it, treat any hex that is more than 50% covered by foliage as 2 AP to enter. The lizard is big enough that it can ignore the foliage.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I am going to be here online continuously after noon EST tomorrow, for 8 hours, if you want to be a little more diligent in your blog checking. I'll try to answer more quickly and often to your responses.

I'm not working tomorrow.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

I will check in and post as often as I can today, especially from noon onward.