Friday, May 19, 2017

A Stranger

Sofia comes within five hexes of an orc who is working in a clearing about fifteen feet across, a wide place in the trail as it were.  As near as she can tell, she has not been discovered.  The orc is humming to itself, a curiously familiar tune that Sofia cannot put her finger on.  Apparently, the orc has just killed an antelope, which it is in the process of freeing of its entrails.  The orc has its back to Sofia.

It is dressed in the manner of an Oriental; instead of a yalma, he is wearing a heavy shirt, baggy pants and a four-inch wide beaded belt around his waist.  He has removed his jacket, which appears to be embroidered silk.  He is also wearing heavy leather boots, which must weigh at least three pounds each by the look of them.

He's a fairly large fellow; you would guess he to be about six-foot-six or thereabouts, weighing at least 300 lbs.  You don't know enough about orcs to guess his age, but he is certainly no older than a mature male.

Action?

17 comments:

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

I back up quietly and slowly, retrieve my belts and cloak on the way, and report what I have seen to the others.



Enrico Guerriero said...

"I suggest you return and continue to watch quietly, while Kismet and I continue up the trail toward him. If this fellow has no ill intentions, I would like to talk to him about what he's seen around these parts... perhaps hire him as a guide. But if he decides to attack us, you can give him a nasty surprise."

Oddbit said...

"he appears to be living in a remote area perhaps there is a reason for that. That said, we could always try saying hello."

Alexis Smolensk said...

Waiting for Sofia to confirm the plan.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia finds a place to hide in closer proximity to the orc and away from her friends no closer that 10 hexes. Her claok and pack are left behind. Her daggers and belts are being worn.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The orc is gone.

There is evidence of the entrails on the ground and the carcass of the animal is missing also.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia waves her companions forward. We should enter the clearing together in the event he's trying to turn the tables on us.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico enters the clearing. Spotting the entrails, he looks around for a blood trail or drag marks or any sign of where the Orc may have taken the animal carcass, and wishes again they had a Ranger in their party. (Looking forward to getting high enough in level that my henchman can get a henchman!)

Kismet said...

Kismet follows into the clearing as well, his attention on the potential attack from outside the clearing.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia enters the clearing with her friends, scanning as does Enrico for signs indicating where the orc might have gone while Kismet covers our backs.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Apparently, the orc has hefted the deer onto its shoulder and is carrying it. Searching soon reveals another trail, thinner and less easy to follow, through a thick bracket and leading in the general direction of Cauldron mountain.

No attack occurs. Do you wish to return to your scouting ahead practice and follow the new trail?

Kismet said...

Sounds good to me.

I think the danger will only increase as we go further though, as I think the odds are greater there will be more orcs/others around where they are going.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Confirmation?

[going to work]

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Confirmed, same plan as before except Sofia leaves her daggers and cloak with her pack, carried by the others but no lighter due to less food so that she may go "stripped down".

Alexis Smolensk said...

You tramp off into the bush. Separately. I will need Kismet to roll a d6.

(On a bus now)

Kismet said...

5

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.