Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The Young Men

It becomes evident to Enrico very quickly that these two men were not a threat to his horse.  They found the animal on the beach and were interested, but presumed that whoever left the horse here was bound to come back quickly.  They have, in fact, been looking after the horse without being asked, as a matter of course.

Their names are Anticles and Pericles.  They're brothers.  They're on their way to a small town in Thrace, Igneada, where they are to become part of a ship's crew.  They were recruited in Canakkale a week ago and told to head to that point.

38 comments:

Enrico Guerriero said...

"This may be an odd question," Enrico says as he adoringly pats Corragio's neck, "but did you happen to find my horse in the company of a number of rats?"

Kismet said...

Don't forget to claim ownership Enrico. In case that hasn't been done yet. I mean... It sort of goes without saying, but I'd rather it said than unsaid.

Kismet smirks at the comment from Enrico and speaks his own question when time permits, "We are travelers as well, do you know where the ship is bound yet? Or just that you have been hired?"

If we don't SHOP for a ship maybe we can take one anyhow with less attention to our route.

That will be the direction I would like to steer conversation if the ship seems like a viable route.

That said, if it isn't I wouldn't mind a few encounters after we rest up. I anticipate only one or two would level me and I would love to up my sage skills, I mean, the HP and attack bonuses would be nice too.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

(OOC: Great opening, Enrico)

Sofia, noting that the party and the brothers are at ease and sharing information, strides from cover with purpose. Approaching Corragio, she finds where her spare gear was packed and replaces the cloak ruined by the blob and her shirt and doublet if they were also "singed".

She dresses with the quick and efficient movements of one trained to use her body, lacking any outward show of modesty which she would regard as a show of weakness.

Assuming Enrico's question is answered first,

"The port you seek, it is to the north, yes? Are you familiar the lands hereabout?"

Perhaps these brothers will make good traveling companions, she seems to ask her friends with her eyes and a lift of her brow.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

And Kismet's question as well.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Enrico, the brothers did not. And they are amazed by your question. On the other hand, a close look at the beach will reveal thousands of paw prints all around - if you were a ranger to notice.

To Kismet, Pericles will answer, "It's bound for Kefe, in the Crimea. We understand it is a merchanter, owned by a Greek named Salmoneus. They would probably take passengers if you were willing to pay."

Alexis Smolensk said...

"Yes, the port is in the Crimea. Salmoneus does much dealing with Tatars. We were asked if, once we arrived there, we would be willing to take a village inland. So we are not just sailors," Pericles says proudly. "We are mercenaries too!"

Kismet said...

That very much does bring us closer and seems to have the potential for making friends and/or enemies. So friends and/or XP/adventure. I'm not sure if we want to hire on to take part in taking a village, but it could also be an option potentially. I'm thinking it's not TOO close to be shitting where we eat as it were.

Kismet presses, "Will Salmoneus be having part of the taking the village? Or is it simply a job of convenience? What do you know of the captain and his ship?"

Alexis Smolensk said...

"Oh, we know nothing about it!" says Anticles. "But it sounds exciting!"

Kismet said...

"It really does!" Kismet agrees. Because for sure it will be exciting, but I wonder how long they will remain excited as it were.

I think we should take the company of these folks to our destination, then maybe consult with the captain from there. Assuming they will travel with us.

I'm guessing enthusiastic, but maybe not the brightest. That or a con of some sort. Which would of course be a problem.

Alexis, if I were more trained in my fighter hireling skills, could those be used to gauge the loyalty/trustworthiness of regular folks? Potentially to others? Or does that seem like more of a bard thing?

Kismet said...

To be more clear about the loyalty thing.

Like, know how loyal someone is to another commander/master.
Know whether or not they are actually a hireling to someone else.
Know who they are loyal to if referenced at any point.

So in this case it would be a "are really hired by a captain"

Alexis Smolensk said...

The morale rules on the wiki discuss these points:

"If a hireling is dismissed without cause or if a hireling's pay is cut . . . or if a hireling is allowed to die without the character party taking every possible action to restore the health and life of the hireling, there is a 10% chance that any witnessing hireling will spread a rumour that will have the same effect as if the character had performed an act of questionable morality. Determining which hireling spread a rumour will be difficult, but will serve to amend the situation - however, most of the hirelings in the immediate vicinity will already have failed their checks and may already have moved beyond the party's reach."

Basically, they will remain loyal if you treat them well.

These being two strangers, the hireling rule applies: make a wisdom check for them. Since they're brothers and in my mind much of the same mind, one check will serve for both of them. If your check is successful, AND I state you can say you can trust them, then you can trust them.

I don't like games where the DM is constantly ganking the party with NPCs. I know I did it one time, back in Switzerland. But that did not result in the death of a player, did it? Only of another NPC.

Kismet said...

Whew
d20: 9 and d20: 2

Had to double check what part of my character background hurt my interaction with hirelings. Fortunately it's only in the hiring them part. (Cha check to hire no matter what)

My wisdom is 11 so I think I pass.

Regarding DM ganking. Yeah, I do remember you are not fond of that now. Or at least use it sparingly as losing trust is easy and gaining it back is very hard.

But I am also just thinking about how a fighter might analyze a battlefield as well. For instance knowing the cavalry should charge THAT flank cause those folks have some terrible morale...

Alexis Smolensk said...

Which is exactly how wars were fought, Kismet. And the reason why a general would not post his mercenaries in a position of necessity. Even better, consider that posting men the enemy was sure to attack (because they were the weakest) would enable you to predict your enemy's action ~ so do you attack the weak flank, knowing that's what the opposing general expects you to do?

Fun times.

You wouldn't be able to tell their legitimacy in a few moments, Kismet, but the brothers feel that it would be great to have you along. They get no ill feelings from you, either, and five people on the road through Thrace is better than two people.

Enrico Guerriero said...

OOC - Good plan, Kismet!

Enrico Guerriero said...

The brothers, being sailors, remind Enrico of Carlito, who also was a sailor, and Tazio, and takes an instant liking to them.

"My name is Enrico Guerriero, a cavaliere from the Kingdom of Napoli, and you have already met my horse, Corragio." He smiles.

James Clark said...

"Sofia, from a city of the same name. My father lacked in imagination." She smiles at them both and shakes hands. "We too are mercenaries of a sort and welcome the company. I suppose you know the way, so lead on when ready friends."

Kismet said...

Kismet nods, "And I am Kismet." I'm good for travelling. Though at this moment I anticipate the party would be eating and probably tired.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

You are right, Kismet. Eat, then journey?

Enrico Guerriero said...

OOC - I agree we are in dire need of rest and recuperation, but it is just after dawn -- not sure if our new companions would be willing to camp. But perhaps they're way ahead of schedule and wouldn't mind.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia digs out one of her heavy rations and eats. "I'd like to put some miles between us and the soldiers, but a full day's travel might be much after a full night's. Perhaps we walk till midday?"

Kismet said...

"Yes let's pace ourselves for now. Though we shouldn't stay long."

Kismet looks at their new companions.

"We made a poor choice of camping in an empty town to avoid wild animals. Nearby soldiers attacked us for doing, and we had been fleeing all night."

Yah had been hoping not to bring up that subject till after we got said distance, but here we are.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes, you are pretty much all operating on fumes. And it might not be a good time to show your faces in any of the local towns. You might want to explain that you've been up all night and that, it being a warm, clear day on the beach, this might be a good place to sack.

Of course, explaining why you're crashing at 7 am might be a problem. And yes, eating some cold food would be desirable; your bellies are all churning.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Now, that makes no sense.

First, you distrust these men so much that you're cautious about the possibility that you might have to fight them . . .

And then you flat out tell them that you're criminals? Without any hedging at all? How does that work?

Could we, perhaps, find a happy medium where disclosure is concerned? I did tell you that they wouldn't stab you in the back, unless you gave them a reason. But explaining that you're on the run from soldiers IS a reason.

Kismet said...

This is fair.

I felt the only reaction to announcing we are on the run from soldiers was to explain we accidentally broke some unposted rule.

Enrico Guerriero said...

OOC - Are we retconning this exchange or just roll with it?

Alexis Smolensk said...

This is hardly a time when minor rules apply; they execute people for stealing an apple.

The common people aren't concerned with whether or not you are guilty. They just don't want to be around when the soldiers show up.

Now, we can retcon that moment or I can have the brothers run away. Which will it be?

Kismet said...

Let's just retcon, I think this is a modern sensibilities vs in-character knowledge conflict.

If we were in person we would probably do likewise.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Let's retcon. I think that Kismet would have resisted talking so lightly about it, given the probable response. Think of yourselves being in a sort of fascist regime, only more so. The Ottomans maintained a very strict top-down hierarchical military culture.

Give it another try.

Kismet said...

"Yes let's pace ourselves for now. Though we shouldn't stay long."

Kismet looks at their new companions.

"The road is a dangerous place if you don't take it seriously."

Yeah, let's have a quick bite then hit the road asap. Maybe we can recover some rest by being slow to rise tomorrow morning. Our overall pace isn't so critical, though our companions' probably is.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Both Enrico and Kismet have gotten about three hours of sleep; I'll allow a half-day's travel, but after that you're going to start taking damage to your biological units from exhaustion/forced march.

Where do you want to go? The brothers are only vaguely aware of the region, but do know there is a fishing hamlet along the coast where a cousin of theirs resides, a place called Komur Limani.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Let's head toward the hamlet and travel one half day. Sofia departs when all are ready.

Kismet said...

That seems like a good idea. Hopefully we will fly under the radar for at least one rest.

Kismet heads that way too.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico (and Corragio) join the others.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[I'll create a new post tomorrow afternoon. I have a job interview in the morning, but I should be up and going by 3 EST]

Kismet said...

Wishing the best.

I think with these two guys I was more worried about soldiers following the horse.

That said, I have no problem with some companions for a journey. Even ones that already have a job.

I do have concerns about being tracked to the next town, but I mean that will be a concern for a while unless we go cross country.

I think we keep shoveling in on the not thinking about the actual local psychology/customs/laws (Or at least I do) and I need to try not to.

The thought does cross my mind about visible wounds though and how that may effect our interactions. I know we seem to gloss over that generally, but it is a random thought.

James Clark said...

Good luck Alexis.

I suspect we'll attract attention anywhere we go except larger towns and ports. Hopefully we can stay ahead of word travelling. Also, we might be confused with/ mention of us overcome by reports of the rat avalanche. Imagine trying to convey word of what transpired from the soldiers'point of view without it sounding confusing or even contradictory.

Oddbit said...

Yeah but on the flip side, we have an unarmored person who may or may not be a wizard or other caster. Remember generally magic is known and an army would certainly be appraised of some information about them.

If we're LUCKY they already have this association with the old man and at best we are now associated with said old man.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[The interview was fine. It was with a placement company, which is at least the possibility of being placed in some other position if this one doesn't pan out. It isn't glamorous - a call center job. But I'll take anything right now. It is tough times in Calgary; the whole province is in a vicious recession and, given that prices are falling at the food stores and for rental property, it could be called a downright depression]

I have created a new post. Oddbit is right; this notion that the common person doesn't understand about magic or doesn't believe in lycanthropes doesn't apply. People know all about these things and the appearance of the rats would be perfectly understood by the people in charge.

I've skipped any tracking of you to the next town. We'll just put that all to bed right now. You're out of it, safe, with the Black Sea in front of you.