Saturday, March 4, 2017

Rats ~ Round 5

Things are happening.  The guard in 0413 makes his morale check and doesn't flee.  However, a rat skitters across the courtyard and engages him.

This guard is profoundly focused, however, and manages to ignore the rats in order to attack Sofia.  He manages to roll a natural 20; his second d20 roll is a ten, so that he causes double damage.  With his scimitar he causes 12 points, stunning Sofia and knocking her back into 0314.

Sofia has a wound and will now bleed 1 point per round on the enemy's turn, until she binds her wound or is able to receive magical healing of some kind.

The rest of the guards do not move forward and attack; they've found themselves beset upon by rats, about a dozen of them, and the shouting in the lane has become a din.  There seems to be rats all around, but none of them are attacking the party.

Then, all of the sudden, Enrico's horse begins to freak out, rushing back and behind the tree in 0614/0714.  A section of the courtyard falls out and collapses, leaving a black hole ~ it is too dark, with eyes not adjusted, to see what has caused it within a single combat round, so the hole is all you can see.

I want to emphasize that the rats are NOT coming from the hole; they have appeared to be coming from everywhere.  No rats at all come from the hole.

The players can now make their move, excepting Sofia.

20 comments:

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Well, at least I'm getting XP for that wound. ;-)

Kismet said...

Kismet attacks 0413 guard.
D20+3: NAT 20, 6
2d4+5: 8

Then moves to 0414

Alexis Smolensk said...

"+5"??

Please explain.

Enrico Guerriero said...

The hole is troubling, and we have to hope the rats stay on our side, but let's deal with these soldiers first.

Enrico advances one hex to 0511 and attacks the soldier in 0510.

Do I get a bonus given he's already engaged with two rats? In this particular case it probably doesn't matter.

To hit: 16 (rolled a 14)
Damage: 6

Oddbit said...

4 strength, 1 sword

Kismet said...

Kismet has a very high str.
Also, I anticipate that hole is a friend giving us an out. I think the man was a druid.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I had totally forgotten your strength was that high, Kismet.

I thought it was some weird doubling thing you were doing. Take note. Roll a natural 20, you double your damage. You should have told me you did 16 damage. Nicely done.

Enrico hits too and drops that man also. But no, fighting someone who is also fighting something (or someone) doesn't get a bonus. Nice try, though.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Kismet, your observation regarding the hole seems likely to me, but I wonder what we do about the horse.

(OOC: I'll be on travel for work this week and on central time, but will do my best to keep up.)

Kismet said...

I think the druid could probably figure it out...
Or maybe there's some kind of animal skill we have that can help.

Also apologies on posting account used, busy weekend lots of travel. Using the phone mostly.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[take the day off, fellows. i'm down over the work thing, i'm fighting myself to get the third monk post up and frankly i'm needing a little self-care]

I will explain this one thing and then I'm going to find a beer to cry into.

A torchlight appears in the hole and a moment later there climbs out a huge rat, about five feet tall, wearing ring mail armor and carrying a scimitar. It says, "Come with me if you want to live."

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

(OOC: Be well Alexis.)

Sofia rubs her eyes, fearing perhaps her blood loss is causing hallucination.

Perhaps we finish those off immediately before us and make a retreat?

Alexis Smolensk said...

At the moment, with the two that Enrico and Kismet dropped, you don't have any guards fighting you at all. The rats will double in number with this next round and keep the guards busy.

Enrico Guerriero said...

"I won't leave my horse," Enrico says to the Ratman.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"My rats will keep your horse safe," says the Ratman. "Come save yourself."

Alexis Smolensk said...

[just give me another day, fellas; I'm undergoing some self-care just now]

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Be well Alexis.

Kismet said...

While I am excited about the prospects of the game...

Health first.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[yes, well, I have found myself contemplating health all day]

Enrico Guerriero said...

OOC - Hang in there, better things are ahead.

Alexis Smolensk said...

There is a new post.