Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Evaluating a Broken Room


As you contemplate your options, the mass remains in place, gently undulating.

34 comments:

Kismet said...

Kismet draws the ESP sword, "What do you think we should do? Do you think were-slimes could even be harmed by swords? Maybe try and burn it?"

Kismet said...

"The garbage around here looks flammable, but it would probably make the ladder hard to use, and who knows if we would die from the smoke."

Is there any air movement? The hole in the ceiling is non-descript, so I assume it does not look like it leads directly into a night sky as it were.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"I think you should keep me the hell away from that thing," says the sword. "Far, far away!"

There is no detectable air movement. You haven't looked up the hole, so from where you are it is pretty dark. There's no sunlight coming down through it, or any other light, that you can observe.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

We could try to attack it with fire short of setting the room ablaze, but I've only one more torch after these two that I have lit. How are you guys with torches or oil and lanterns?

What do you think it's eating? Anything organic, or is it after something specific? Could we possibly lure it out with bait instead?

Kismet said...

I'd bet organic, but probably softer stuff is preferred. It's not attacking so we COULD leave and come back potentially. Bit to be honest I'm not sure we have enough nonstandard weapons to thwart it.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

What if we take our softer, organic material and start dropping it as a bread crumb trail our of the space. If the creature follows us out, we can head back to the room as soon as we come to a wide enough space for us to do so. Sofia, with her better movement, will go last.

Kismet said...

I don't pretend to know the psychology of an ooze (why did it go down a whole bare hallway to this point? can it id the location of edibles from a great distance?), or the possible speed/spread of one for that matter.

Though, to prevent movement speed issues if we do breadcrumbs, we should do so up to the door of the room BEFORE completing the trail so we don't have to move slowly to set up said breadcrumbs. Or we could give someone a headstart.

Alexis about how far was it to the room where we chose our route? it's greater than 30 feet that's for sure.

I figure we direct it back whence it came so we hopefully do not lose options.

Also Alexis when it became a ball was it a quick movement?

Alexis Smolensk said...

More of a mass than a ball.

I'm not sure what you're asking, Kismet, but I'm guessing you mean, how long was the trail from where you first picked it up. You followed the trail for about ten minutes.

By your estimate, the weight of the mass (5 feet across, maybe two feet high) makes it about 600 lbs. Breadcrumbs sounds like you're trying to feed a full-grown lion with bacon bits.

Kismet said...

I'm asking physical distance from here to the point when we had a choice to stop following the trail and instead go downwards.

This helps determine if it is reasonable at all to line up potatoes say... 200ft till it would be far enough out of our path.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ah. That was about three minutes ago. You didn't measure it, so you can only guess the distance in terms of time.

You don't know if you have enough potatoes - but that seems unlikely.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

I could hand one torch off to an attacker and light my last one from the other remaining lit one for two of us left if you guys have other light sources. We could bludgeon it with fiery brands.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Perhaps it would enjoy eating the books... soft paper bound in leather?

Kismet said...

And if they go out we're in the dark with the blob. And who knows what else. I'd rather take the nuclear option or evade it if possible...

Kismet said...

Can we grab debris and make any torches out of those?

I think we would at least need some cloth...

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Can you each answer this: Do you have any light sources?

Alexis Smolensk said...

The debris wouldn't burn like a torch because its not soaked in oil, but yes, you could get some of the pieces to burn, as they're thin enough and made of wood.

Kismet said...

My inventory says no.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[Forgive me, but this room seems to have you stalled. Part of is it Enrico's commitments, I'm sure. Me, I am concentrating on a hard part of the novel that has challenged me since I first conceived it. But I will be around today to answer questions if you have any]

Enrico Guerriero said...

Kismet, we have two lit torches -- what's the concern? I believe Sofia's plan is to burn the thing.

Kismet said...

Alright let's do that then. You first.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Now I'm scared to do it :)

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia hands a lit torch to Kismet and reaches into her pack to pull out and hand the final, unlit one to Enrico. She will move two hexes to the blob and attack with her remaining lit torch when able (based on movement and whether initiative needs to be rolled).

Alexis Smolensk said...

I will need an initiative die roll as you engage. Please roll a d6.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

d6: 4

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ah, I roll a 5.

Sofia's 15 dex does not give her a +1 reaction adjustment (as it says on your character sheet). That requires a 16. This gives me initiative.

As you approach, a pseudopod emerges from the mass and tries to strike at you. I roll only a 5, however.

It is your move. You will need to roll a d20 to hit with the torch.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico touches his unlit torch to Kismet's lit torch.

Anyone have a flask of oil?

Kismet said...

Kismet is waiting on the effect of Sofia's torch.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia moves 2 hexes forward (4 AP) and swings at the blob with her torch:

d20: 14

Kismet said...

How much time in rounds would it seem it might take to make the ladder climbable? Is it out of the realm of reason to do it during combat?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sofia, that is a hit. Please roll a d3. The mass seems to withdraw remarkably from the presence of the fire, even before you succeed in hitting it.

Kismet, to answer your question: it would probably take (for anyone but Sofia) a round to begin climbing, then another round to get enough out of the way so that someone else could start. So two rounds per person.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

d3: 3

YES!

Maybe we could use the fire to scare it off if it withdraws when we brandish it. If you guys attack from one side (right or left of Sofia, not both) and leave it a way out, maybe it'll take it.

That is, if we can't manage to kill it outright.

Alexis Smolensk said...

You have managed to push it back against the wall, part in 0603 and 0703, with your first attack. Because it is not stunned, however, it will create a pseudopod and swing at Sofia with it, even across a distance of 8 feet. It rolls an 18, causing 4 damage to Sofia, more than enough to stun, knocking the monk back into 0505.

I will get a new post up.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next round is ready.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Didn't the pseudo-pod already attack and miss (rolling a 5 to hit) this round? Does it get two attacks?