Thursday, March 16, 2017

Climbing Higher

The drifting tunnel continues upwards for an uncomfortable distance and after about five minutes you're tired from the climb.  As the torch begins to breathe it's last, giving about three minutes warning, you come across a place in the tunnel that seems to have been shifted by an earthquake (which are fairly common in the area) ages ago.  The difference is perhaps six inches, with the tunnel above you simply shifted to the left and some stones in the walls and ceilings broken.

It seems to be stable, however; the dust on the floor suggests the shift happened at least years ago.  However, more recent, something has emerged from the rift and crawled upwards along the tunnel, leaving a trail of grease behind it about three feet wide.

Here is an image of the room, after Sofia's discovery:


40 comments:

Kismet said...

Kismet mutters under his breath, "At this point I envy the horse..."

He gestures that they should keep moving and points out the grease.

Does the grease have any slippery qualities or anything tactically noteworthy at this time?

If no, he proceeds.

Alexis Smolensk said...

How do you wish to test the slipperiness of its qualities?

Kismet said...

I'll start with the butt of my polearm.
If it doesn't start smoking, melting, sticking or any other obvious dangerous things, I'll then go ahead and try my boot.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The grease seems to stick at first, but no smoking or melting detected. However, an examination of your polearm indicates that the butt end has no grease on it; the wood has been scoured a little, as though with an abrasive.

The grease does not cover the whole surface of the passage floor, only a thirty-inch wide path.

Kismet said...

Kismet displays the end of the polearm to the others and shrugs. He does one more test. Taking a leather glove from his pack he presses it against the grease and removes it (much as one would when walking on it).

If the glove is damaged by this, he will not walk on the trail and proceed. If not he proceeds stepping on the trail as necessary.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The glove looks as though it has been scoured as well, as though scrubbed with a pumice stone.

[you're so calm!]

I'll read it as Kismet begins walking up the tunnel, keeping to the side of the grease, using the roof here and there for support.

Kismet said...

Yah this is totally not something I want to step on.
That will be the tactic.

Furthermore I'm guessing whatever we fight could potentially damage equipment.

Our directions are to go up, it's our only route out. At best grim determination is what I have. This thing is not good, but we have only one route in front of us.


Alexis Smolensk said...

Not quite. As the torch sputters, you reach a landing where there is one set of stairs up and a set of stairs down.

The dark greyish black stain, the grease trail, leads up the stairs.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia lights the new torch (one of three she posesses) with the last of the old torch.

"Our friend said we must go up, so up we must go."

She follows Kismet.

Kismet said...

Kismet nods, "Would probably get lost and just have to come this way again."

Kismet goes up.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico follows.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[I get the distinct feeling that I'm being far too obvious here]

It is difficult to climb the stairs without touching the grease track, so that the edges of your shoes do get 'cleaned' a bit. The stairs lead to a long corridor; this drifts left as it comes to a ledge, a continuous structure of rock that continues for about thirty feet. The hall widens and it is easier to walk alongside the track, which now begins to follow the right side of the hall.

At the end of the ledge, you find a door; this has been half-eaten away and hangs loose on one hinge. Beyond the door is a room. It might have been a guard's room of some kind; you find some half-devoured bedsteads and other furniture, broken pottery and shreds of clothing. A table with two legs eaten away is on the left side; a collection of stone holes for storage were long ago drilled into the wall on the right. This seems to contain some books. There seems to be no evidence of living persons in the chamber.

The track now covers every part of the room; whatever it was seems to have been everywhere in here.

Across the floor is the remains of a heavy ladder that leads up into a hole in the ceiling. The bottom three feet of the ladder are gone.

Enrico Guerriero said...

"Whatever was leaving this track apparently did not go up," Enrico says. "Perhaps we should."

Alexis Smolensk said...

[been a rough week; we're catching up, Enrico]

Kismet said...

"Well it also didn't eat the books."

"If we're quick I assume no harm for our feet. Let's grab the books, perhaps Sofia should be last if we need a boost to get up the ladder? I anticipate she has the best chance of getting up without the bottom rungs."

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

"Unless the creature back-tracked over its own trail or there is some exit we are missing, isn't it still in the room?"

Alexis, are there very many likely hiding places for a creature capable of leaving the trail?

Sofia's dagger is drawn.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico is troubled by this notion. He draws his weapon as well.

"Perhaps it is a creature that has the lower half of a slug but the upper body of a man... a slugtaur... and it used its arms to climb up the ladder," he says, gazing up wonderingly.

Kismet said...

"I anticipate the lower half would have still dissolved the remaining portion of the ladder. Perhaps it is a were-slug. And transformed into a humanoid shape before climbing."

Kismet adds helpfully.

"We should not stay long in the room regardless. Shall I help Enrico climb up or would you rather I check the books Sofia?"

Alexis, do we anticipate any real challenge for climbing? Such that boosts are needed? Or am I making a mountain of a molehill?

Alexis Smolensk said...

The challenge that is required for climbing is only that because you're armored and loaded with gear, you'll probably have to put some sort of step under the ladder. You won't be able to just pull yourself up by the arms.

You could boost each other, but a step would be easier and could be made out of any of the damaged furniture around you ~ bedsteads on the right, table on the left.

Kismet said...

[Here I am, stuck in the middle...]

Alright,

I think I can drag some stuff into place for a table, Enrico can grab books and Sofia can watch our backs, then we rush the ladder assuming we're not attacked?

That seem fair?

Everyone be sure to say we're doing that if we are.

Once everyone says go, I go and do as written.
I'm fine with going up first if no boosting and enrico last.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

I'm not getting the rush the ladder part. We'd still have to go up one by one I imagine. I read the rest as:

Kismet creates the step from available materials
Enrico grabs the books for later identification and perusal
Sofia keeps watch

I agree.

Sofa keeps an eye out.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Only waiting on confirmation from Enrico.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico gathers the books to see if there's anything of interest.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Because Sofia is keeping watch, I will need a d20 roll from her.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

d20: 6

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sofia, you succeed in your wisdom check. As you see Enrico and Lukas move towards the two sides of the room, you notice there is movement against the far room; this seems to ripple as a long stream that follows the baseline of the wall. You warn the others and they turn to see; and as you watch, this rippling draws together as a black, pasty mass, about four feet in diameter. It is about one hex from where Enrico would have reached for the books and one hex from where Kismet would have begun building a platform under the ladder.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I have updated the post above to include an image of the room and the location of the thing you've discovered.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia calls a warning out to her friends and flings her dagger at the blob.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Roll.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

to hit: 16 (unmodified)
dmg: 3

Can Sofia light a torch so she has two lit with the rest of her move?

Alexis Smolensk said...

The dagger makes a glop sound as it disappears into the mass.

Sofia can obtain her torch and flint this round, then take 1 AP to light the torch next round.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia takes the remainder of the round to get her torch and flint.

Question, could she light the new torch from the burning torch and forgo the flint?

Kismet said...

On being alerted, Kismet will roughly chuck any material he can at the ladder and withdraw back towards the entrance to the room.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes she could, of course, light the new torch from the existing one. Is Sofia holding the torch? If so, why would you not just say so when you spoke of lighting a new torch? It's a matter of pulling it from your sack (it would stick out) and putting the two together. That doesn't take 5 AP, that just takes 2 AP.

So noted, Kismet.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Assuming Kismet is in, say, 0507, Enrico backs up to 0706.

OOC - At a conference until Saturday, might be a little slow in responding.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[no problem, I was out for the day]

Kismet, I'll move you back to 0507 and set up a new post. I'm going to recolor the debris so that it is grey and easier to ignore - but take note, rushing forward into combat (two or more movement, then swing) across a hex line covered in detritus is going to require a dexterity check. A fail will mean you fall on your face.

I'll go work on the next post.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

I said Sofia was lightng a new torch so she'd have two lit, but didn't specify how. I'll be clearer next time. Consider the flint still packed away as she is now holding two lit torches.

Sofia is done moving.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

No worries, Alexis. I really will try to be state things more deliberately. I know when reading through a bunch of posts quickly its easy to miss something. I've done it plenty.