Friday, February 24, 2017

Pazarli Street, 3 AM

A depiction of the court, lane and street where the players find themselves in Pazarli:


Sofia didn't take a chance on putting her head around the corner to see what the guards look like, so I'm depicting them with orange patches.

69 comments:

Enrico Guerriero said...

Did we have time for Enrico to armor up?

Did we pack up all our gear, so if we flee we have everything already with us?

If it's either/or, I vote for option A, but then again, I'm looking for a fight. :)

Alexis Smolensk said...

At the moment, I'm presuming you're all whispering. As soon as you start taking action, I'm going to roll the distance checks on stealth.

You can easily go into the house and dress; it will take you 5 rounds per point increase in armor class to get geared up. By then, you shouldn't expect the guards to still be where you think they are right now (they may have already moved on ~ it has been about 15 rounds now since Sofia was up at the corner, or 3 minutes).

Enrico Guerriero said...

Is it quicker if Kismet and Sofia dress me, or 5 rounds per point no matter what?

Alexis Smolensk said...

You can have one helper, who will reduce the time required to 4 rounds per armor class.

Enrico Guerriero said...

I believe Enrico going from AC 10 to AC 3 (plate) would take 28 rounds with Kismet's help, or nearly six minutes. Sofia could stand watch, looking and listening for the bad guys.

I think it's worth it, but of course, I'm the guy wearing it. :)

What do you think?

Enrico Guerriero said...

("You" meaning Kismet and Sofia, and our long-lost Ibrahim)

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Doesn't Kismet have armor as well? Either way, Sofia agrees to keep a watch while Enrico arms himself.

Sofia couches right where she's at (0412) and keeps a watch on the courtyard entrance, listening and looking out for the soldiers.

Enrico Guerriero said...

How about:
Enrico puts on his own armor while Kismet puts on his. Whoever finishes first (likely Kismet) helps the other.

Kismet said...

I was on watch, wouldn't it be reasonable I was already armored?
Especially for a 3 hour watch.

Now as I said before my default is the splint. But I would like word from Alexis if that is reasonable.

One thing of note, I'm not going to be running anywhere WITH all my stuff.
I was under the impression our extra heavy stuff was on the horse.

And if Enrico is riding it...

Kismet said...

Also yes, I have no problem helping you get your armor on.

That said, I do believe Alexis has penalties for partially worn armor.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[pretty tired; I'll just poke at this tonight]

I don't have penalties for partly worn armor. If Enrico wanted to put on half his armor and be content with an AC of 6, I'd be good with that. It isn't all or nothing; each 5 rounds he spends, his armor class gets better by one point.

Nothing stops Enrico from fully dressing. I'll accept that Kismet has dressed earlier as well. Sofia sees nothing except a lowly rat that runs into the middle of the lane, sniffs the air, then continues out of sight.

What next?

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia indicates she will be sneaking down the alley leading to the courtyard, toward the soldiers and waves her companions forward to follow her. She uses stealth, this time equipped with weapons, and moves forward.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I'll need to know how far behind you are Enrico and Kismet, and if Enrico is leading his horse.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico is slow and in full armor so presumably he will be easy to hear... especially if leading the horse.

How about Kismet and Enrico (with the horse) lead the way and Sofia trails behind? We will be heard and the intruders will come to investigate. Then Sofia can join the fight as a surprise.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Or if we're going to do that, how about Sofia stands still in 0412 and you guys start making a racket.

Sofia drops her pack and caries only a dagger in this case, increasing the odds of standing there undetected.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico leaves the horse in the courtyard and advances to 0509. He bangs his flail +1 against his shield.

Kismet said...

Sounds good. I'm fine with leading with Enrico. He's got greater durability by a lot so I'll take left side. Shield out, weapon not drawn yet.

Alexis Smolensk said...

That leaves you still in the lane. At the moment, you don't see anything.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Where are you, Kismet? I presume Sofia is in 0412.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Correct, Sofia is in 0412 with dagger drawn.

Enrico Guerriero said...

I think given that we are outnumbered we may want to stay in the lane.

Kismet said...

0410

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ah. I thought there was going to be a fight.

Very soon, you have four soldiers appear at the top of the alley way, shining a bullseye lantern, revealing Enrico and Kismet. These soldiers see the enclosed space, see the darkness of the courtyard, and do not approach. They wait for Enrico to stop banging his shield.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico stops banging his shield.

"Greetings, friends," he says quietly. "Looking for someone?"

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Yes, the narrow alley should help take their numbers advantage away.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"Who are you and what are you doing here?"

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Alexis, is it possible for Sofia to climb either (or both) of the walls that make the corner she's standing in while using stealth?

Enrico Guerriero said...

"We are adventurers from a distant country," Enrico says, though his accent gives that away. "We are told there is a fearsome beast that prowls this land. It only hunts at night and is insatiable when it finds prey. Coming upon this little village with its empty huts, we thought perhaps we had found it." He eyes the four at the end of the lane. "And you, gentlemen? What brings you to this desolate place in the middle of the night?"

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sofia,

It is possible for you to get to the roof via the tree or through the interior stairwell of any of the buildings around you. You could climb a wall, but scrambling up the tree would be faster.

Alexis Smolensk said...

As they hear this, four more soldiers appear at the end of the lane. The eight soldiers talk among themselves and one steps to the fore. "You have heard much, but all of it is nonsense. Did no one tell you this village is banned to outsiders? That it is under martial law? You two will lay down your weapons and come with us. You are arrested."

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia picks up her pack and ducks into the doorway in hex 0312 and looks for the stairs, using all of her movement to quietly move toward the second floor.

Kismet said...

"Given that we have met no one near the town, we have of course not been informed it was under martial law. Would it not seem more reasonable to keep a guard on the road to inform people to stay away?"

Kismet looks back to the road before returning his view to the conscripts.

"We have no problem with just leaving. In fact, that was our plan when we heard strangers rooting around. But we figured at the minimum we could handle bandits, and that it would be more reasonable to parlay with any local authority. Do you have any symbol of authority, or are you looters?"

Ignore that last line if they have any obvious signs of authority.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"Your innocence is a matter for the judge to decide. We are under orders to arrest all persons who are found in this town. That is the law."

Martial law does tend to be lacking in nuance.

"Put down your weapons. I will not tell you again. If you fail to comply your life will be forfeit."

Sofia, you're heading upstairs as this conversation is ongoing.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia shoots a glance back over her shoulder. She is not abandoning her friends and will back their play, but perhaps she looks worried counting eight soldiers to our three.

Enrico Guerriero said...

"It is obvious that you are bandits. Not just bandits but cowards at that, pretending to be the law to avoid a fight. Here are our weapons -- come and take them, if you dare!"

Enrico backs up to 0511, just in case they start shooting arrows.

Kismet said...

"Dirty, Scruffy, I think you're right!"

Kismet says as he also backs off to 411.

(Remember, if we get stunned we move back a hex, losing ground could get us surrounded.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

The soldiers go into a huddle, to discuss the matter, while three continue to watch Enrico and Kismet. In the meantime, four more guards appear with the rest of the group.

Sofia, you climb to the top of the roof. The buildings surrounding the courtyard are nearly all the same height, give or take three or four feet. You can see torches in every direction, gradually converging on your location.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

About how many torches do I count?

Enrico Guerriero said...

Hmm, enormous army of bad guys, narrow passageway, a tiny band of determined defenders...

Hey, did you guys see 300? That worked out well for the good guys in the end, right? :)

Alexis Smolensk said...

About a dozen, Sofia. But they all represent groups, not individuals. You can see two more groups of four moving around towards the court entranceway.

[I have a staff meeting I have to attend today. I'll be a few hours]

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

I think it's time to surrender boys.

Enrico Guerriero said...

I agree.

Enrico, seeing the gathering numbers at the top of the lane, is starting to get nervous. "What does your sword say we should do now?" he asks anxiously.

Kismet said...

Well if we know what you know... then yeah.
I mean they'll just bring ladders.

At this point I say (should I know about the number of opponents), "Ah it seems you have friends you should have said so. Bandits or not I know when I'm facing a losing battle."

I then drop the shield, sheathe the sword, remove the belts full of weapons and unsling my pike and place my hands visibly.

Kismet said...

That is unless the sword says something insightful.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia returns to the courtyard, unsheathing daggers along the way. She makes no effort to hide herself and places her daggers at her feet once back alongside her friends. Her glaive she rests against a wall and keeps her pack over her shoulder.

(OOC: Autocorrect wants to make "glaive" into "lawgiver". I might just go with it next time, :-) )

Enrico Guerriero said...

Presuming the sword has nothing to add, Enrico joins the others in disarming himself.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia whispers to her friends, "Go along with what they say. When we meet with whomever is in charge follow my lead. My father is a lawyer of Ottoman law in Sofia, not so far north of here, and we have the Vizier of Mytilene's name to drop. Perhaps I can talk our way out of this."

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Louder, to the soldiers.

"Our weapons have been set aside, you may approach safely. I apologize that my men did not wake me immediately. They fear my father's displeasure and so are over-protective of me at times. I am Sofia Viktorova Koleva, serving my father Viktor Koleva who in turn serves the Sanjak of Sofia. Are you escorting us to your commanding officer?"

Alexis Smolensk said...

[Forgive me, guys, last night was a bad night. I should have dealt with this then, but I'm only getting to it now]

Please, before you surrender.

The sword does have something to say: "You must fight. If you surrender, they will execute you. You're in a village under martial law, you are representatives of regions that are at war with the Ottomans: you're Italian and German. The magistrate here will have you executed to appease both sides of this conflict. If you think you will get justice, you are mistaken.

"And I will fall into their hands. We are inside the jurisdiction of Byzantium, so if I am given to the proper authorities, I will end up in Constantinople, where I will be recognized. If I am not, then I will sure to be recognized sometime soon, by someone, under other circumstances, as I will be carried around the halls of power. If that happens, I will fall into the hands of the gnomes, who will then find the books ~ I must aid my wielder ~ and use them in unknown, perhaps world-shattering ways.

"If you do not die here in defending me, you will die anyway. Let that be on your conscience."

Kismet said...

"The sword says, if we don't fight we die." Kismet looks at Sofia, "Executed to keep the peace. That our regions are at war with the Ottomans. How many of them were there?"

To the sword Kismet has his own few words, "As for you, if we live I will talk to you about what my conscience has to say about your fate. You haven't proven to me yet that you wouldn't be more harm than good to the Ottomans yet."

He then readies himself.

"Do we trust the sword? Or still think it's a good idea to surrender?"

Alexis, how does this line up with my/our character's knowledge of the political/"legal" situation?

Oddbit said...

[Also, I hope this wasn't from the all staff meeting... And I hope things worked out]

Enrico Guerriero said...

"If we must die I would rather it be on my feet with a weapon in my hand, not kneeling with my neck on the axeman's block," Enrico says.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[This was from the staff meeting. The restaurant is closing. We were given a week's pay and sent on our way]

Kismet,

You know that the Ottomans are constantly fighting against Genoan and Venetian pirates, who raid their possessions in Greece and along the coast; at the same time, Barbary and Levantine pirates raid the Christian European shipping and coast.

There have been numerous wars between Ottomans and Germany since the mid-16th century. There is not much love lost there.

The sword could be wrong. As Sofia says, everything looks like a nail to a hammer. But there is no reason to believe you're going to get justice if you surrender and every reason to believe otherwise.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Same question as Kismet. How does the sword's scenario jive with Sofia's knowledge of Ottoman law from her background.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

(OCC: I'm sorry Alexis. Tough business. I hope you land on your feet quickly.)

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Never mind, looks like you answered Kismet.

"If it is to be here, then let it be so. It has been wonderful to have made your acquaintance, dear friends."

Sofia scoops up her daggers and prepares to fight.

Kismet said...

Kismet (Who probably did not drop all his weapons in this case) steels himself psychologically and physically by switching to a throwing axe and says to his companions, "So do we stand here and take them all at once?"

He then sees if any opponents are in view.

If so, he will open communications with his opponent by throwing a throwing axe at their soft bits.

I assume at this point we will be rolling for something OTHER than the attack roll if they are visible.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

to Kismet, "Aye. The alley will ensure they can only approach two by two. For a time. If we see a chance to make a break for it, we must consider it. I saw many torches."

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ottoman law gives the local magistrate unrestricted power when dealing with behaviour. There's no lawyer or court; you are brought before a judge who then decides, alone, what happens to you. You're not permitted a defense unless the judge chooses to give you an opportunity to speak. As a foreigner, you have no "friends" in government, which is the protection that the locals count upon for justice. If you are connected, then those who would be angry at your death will soften the sentence. But as strangers, you don't have that.

At the moment, no one in the crowd of soldiers outside the lane are pulling together missile weapons (about a third have spears). They seem to be waiting.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Like Kismet, Sofia will hurl a dagger. She will target the same soldier as he does.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico hurls a hand axe at the man who was doing all the talking.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Please; you've been talking, moving around ~ can you confirm what hexes you're in? Are we good with the location of Enrico's horse? If you are now going on the attack, I will need an initiative die roll. The soldiers are not being lazy, they're watching you carefully and there's enough torch light now to show you clearly, if you're in a position to throw weapons.

Kismet, your turn to throw a d6 for initiative.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Let's assume the horse is where he's shown on the map; it would make sense that he would be tethered to the tree.

Enrico is in 0511.

Kismet said...

I rolled a 5

I hope that's good I think it is, but I never trust my memory.

Based on our discussion, I get the feeling I would have backed off, maybe to kind of the position sofia is in on the given map before provoking them. Perhaps that's 0412 but trying to use the corner for cover?

Alexis Smolensk said...

You have initiative. The corner provides cover for 20% of the hex, so I'll give Kismet a +2 AC as long as he's in that hex. I'll give Enrico a +1 for 0511.

I'll need Sofia's position, then I'll put up a new post with a new map.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

0412, just as you have it.

Kismet said...

Hey Sofia, I already said I was probably there.

Would you rather I or you be in that spot.

I figured you might have more maneuverability to maybe use the roof if cover is available up there.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

I'm sorry, I wasn't reading closely.

Sofia is in 0413

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.