Tuesday, February 21, 2017

At Night in Pazarli

Date: 3am Sunday, April 23, 1651
Location: Ruined Village of Pazarli, Gelibolu Peninsula

Weather: a gentle breeze from the south and a clear sky. Pleasant, feels like 17 C (63 F).

Turning in, keeping watch, treating Ibrahim as though he is still here, the party finds a good structure with a single entrance.  There is no door, all the doors have been broken, and the interiors full of broken furnishings and damaged goods.  Some of the buildings do have evidence of animals having lived there, even examples of spoor left behind.

The building you find has a single floor and it is recessed back from the main road in the village.  You find it is largely untouched and has two beds in good order and one that is less so.  You settle in, eat a little cold food and set up your watches.

Then, during Kismet's watch, he will hear the sound of what's probably leather armor outside, at least 50 feet away.  Kismet should be standing in the door so he can see the courtyard outside the residence, a courtyard surrounded by two other buildings with a narrow 8 foot wide lane leading from the road.  He can't quite see anything out there, but he can hear what must be a small number of men, and a sound like voices speaking (without being clear enough to be understood).  There's reason to think that if Kismet were to move down the narrow lane, nearer the road, he could tell what they were saying.

The building where you are has access to the roof, and that access includes a ladder down to the back yard of the building, a grove that will in turn give access to the outer edge of the village, if escape is intended.  You're not trapped.

51 comments:

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Alexis, should we assume the rest of the party is alseep?

Alexis Smolensk said...

I am following the schedule the party gave me regarding watches. So, yes, if Kismet is on watch, I should think the rest of the party would be sacked out.

Kismet said...

Kismet proceeds to, as quietly as possible, go to each party member and rouse them.

He gesture that someone is out there, and then will disguise any sign of their presence.

Right now it would be better to not be found than know what is going on in my opinion.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Count the party as awake.

Kismet said...

So, do we investigate or hide? We did offer help earlier...

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico volunteers Sofia to investigate -- as the sneakiest member of the party, she would make the best scout. And as the fastest, she could retreat quickly if necessary.

"We will watch from here," he whispers to her, readying his bow, "and be ready to come to your aid if necessary."

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sofia nods her willingness and looks to Kismet for his approval or disapproval of the plan.

Kismet. said...

Kismet agrees.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Leaving her pack, waterskin and glaive behind, Sofia gathers her weapons and gear.

She steps through the doorway and into the shadows of the courtyard, several steps away from the party's hut. Here she stops and attempts to hide and hear noise.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico crouches in the darkness inside the hut, bow at the ready.

Kismet said...

Kismet will duck behind the door such that he's ready to ambush if someone comes in. With the talking sword in hand.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sofia,

The rule now is stealth. When I get my monk sage tables in operation, you may not have the ability (it depends upon what you focus, ninja-monk or religious-monk) initially, though with levels you tend to get a low level of everything.

A roll of 1d4 + 2d6 is made, subtracting one if you're carrying only a dagger or no weapon at all. A further modifier of -1 per level is made. That indicates how close you can get in hexes. I make the roll.

Basically, you're approaching an opponent that is an unknown number of hexes away; if you come closer than the roll indicates you can, you'll be heard; if you are further away or equal to the roll, you're fine. The persons that were heard could be right around the corner (1 hex). They could be 10 hexes past the corner. However, it seems to me that there ought to be an additional -1 on the roll for a hiding place like this, so I'll add that in.

There is no "hear noise" ability in my world. I have no rules for it. But if you're within range of being able to hear the level of sound they produce, you'll understand what they're saying.

Good to go?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Technically, it is more of an ESP sword, Kismet.

Kismet said...

That's one for the scholars Alexis, Kismet probably doesn't make such a distinction. Lukas may have more to say on the matter however.

But yeah that's a better descriptor for sure.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[I'm going to work on the sure-footedness skill on the wiki today, then possibly a little on logistics, then start putting together a list of studies for the monk. That is going to be a trial, I know it. But as the bard's whereabouts are unknown - I suspect that the loss of his phone and his car have somehow snowballed into a circumstance to where he doesn't have access to the internet, as he as not answered my email - I will apply myself to the last class without any work having been done. Should be brain-twisting]

Kismet said...

[I was sorely tempted by Logistics, it sounded great, but everything around it didn't really mesh with Kismet's traits, so I decided I would get more bang for my buck from Discipline and Mastery of Arms]

Alexis Smolensk said...

[you will eventually get it. you average 1.5 pts per level outside your chosen field, so the average is that you'll have it by 6-7th level, but potentially by 4th]

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

(OOC: I had hear noise as "+1d10 hexes vs. stealth", reading it as an expanded detection range for those being stelathy... this is not the rule?)

Sofia carries only a dagger and carefully moves close enough to understand what the voices are saying.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Was the rule. Doesn't really work.

I'm adjusting the stealth rules right now, as we speak. They are very much in your favor. Just now, on April 23rd, checking moon charts, I see it is a waxing crescent. This means the moon has long set (waxing crescents appear in the evening). Adjusting for starshine, exterior urban environment, your level, wearing only your night clothes, you're at 2d6 -4 if you carry a weapon and -5 if you don't. Do you want to still carry the dagger?

[I'll be posting these adjusted rules in an hour at the most]

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

You know what, leave the dagger. If push comes to shove I have my movement and my hand-to-hand attacks.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[the stealth page has been a thorn in my side since I created it. I hope the reboot is clearer, more easy to understand and better adjusted to the circumstance]

Sofia finds herself at the corner of the lane out onto the street, only to be a little unnerved by the realization that she is about one hex from the guard that begins talking to someone just as she stops. In the starlight, she is likely near-invisible.

"This is the fourth time we've come back looking for this old bastard. I don't think he exists. Every time we surround the town with patrols and what? Nothing. Except that someone chances upon some beast and gets himself ripped apart or winds up running a sword through a compatriot. And now this night; the new moon was only three days ago. Gives me the creeps."

A voice answers, "How long are we here?"

"Til dawn at least. They want to go through the buildings one by one this time ~ the devil knows when that starts. We could miss breakfast."

Sofia thinks she can hear, very far off, the voices of others, perhaps two or three persons, perhaps two or three groups.

The stealth rules indicate that if you can get this close without being detected, you can retreat as well.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Sweet.

Sofia quietly retreats back to the hut.

"Soldiers, looking for the old man we met today. They apparently have the village surrounded and are preparing to search it, hut by hut. They mentioned being attacked by beasts."

Letting that sink in.

"If we stay put, we will be found but may seem as innocent travelers. If we try to sneak away, we might escape but would appear less innocent if found out."

Letting it sink in further.

"I mistrust large groups of jumpy, armed men. I vote we sneak away now, while we have the darkness with us and they seem to be getting themselves into order."

Letting it sink in even further.

"Do you think the old man could be a druid or a mage?"

Enrico Guerriero said...

"Or a werewolf," young Enrico croaks, eyes wide in the darkness.

Kismet said...

"Or just a Wiley old fart that learned not to be stupid enough to sleep in town. "

"If you think there's a way we can pack up and sneak out with our stuff without being spotted we should."

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

"There is a grove behind this hut which extends to the edge of the village. I propose we pack our things and make our way through it."

Sofia gathers her personal gear then begins the task of loading one of the horses with the hauled gear.

"Kismet, you are better seeing in the dark than Enrico or I, yes? Perhaps you should lead us out?"

Assuming the party is amenable, Sofia will depart with the others once we are ready.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico readily agrees to this plan, more worried about the creepy old man than the intruders.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico gathers his gear and, as quietly as possible, loads up his horse. He departs with the others when all is ready, assuming no one objects, and heads to the grove as Sofia suggested, with Kismet leading the way.

Kismet said...

Kismet looks for some ash or something nearby to possibly blacken some of the lighter parts of his skin and clothing, then agrees.

"Though likely Sofia will be the least likely to be spotted, I also don't know how likely we're getting out of this with that horse. But let's try."

Kismet will use Sofia's directions, and his memory from scouting out the place, before taking the lead.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Problem.

Enrico's horse would have obviously been left outside the house, in the courtyard, where the party would have access to it. It would NOT be in the back of the house, where the party would have had to walk about two hundred yards to have access to it, and where it wouldn't be protected from animals or the wind.

Therefore, how do you propose to lead your horse up the stairs, over the roof, down the ladder and into the back glade?

Alexis Smolensk said...

When you solve that problem, take note of this one. The horse is outside, about 8 hexes from the guards that are just around the corner. I will have to roll your stealth, which is 2d6 minus 2 for the environment. The horse does not have 2 levels, so no character benefits. It is "stripped" but it is also many hundreds of pounds in weight, so I think perhaps it should probably have a +1 stealth overall for that and probably another +1 for its hooves (I never thought yesterday of adding modifiers for horses). I'll forgo those added modifiers, though, because I don't like changing rules against the party in the middle of a game (we'll put them in place for another night, another adventure).

I don't think I can give the horse -1 for darkened skin, either. It is pretty big and the size of the horse will itself made a moving black patch in the vision of anyone who chances to watch.

So, 2d6 -2 hexes. Are you ready for me to roll?

Enrico Guerriero said...

OOC - Enrico casts Polymorph Other on the horse, turning him into a mouse, and puts him in his pocket.

Oh right... I'm a fighter. Drat.

Enrico belatedly realizes his beloved horse is outside and therefore Sofia's plan won't work. Even if they want to abandon the other horse, Enrico refuses to leave noble Corragio behind.

OOC - We do have two horses, correct... mine and another?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Admittedly, I am none too certain. Does Kismet or Ibrahim have a horse?

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

I failed to grasp that the only entrances and exits for the courtyard were the one the guards occupied and the second storey of the hut. In my mind I was imagining us walking around the hut and into the grove behind it.

I don't think there's any way we can get the horse out the back door. So, it seems our options are wait to be found or expose ourselves. Should things go sideways, I'd rather be proactive then passive, so vote we just gather the horse and walk past the guards as if we belong there.

Your thoughts?

Kismet said...

No horse here. I figured we would be doing water adventures.

As for "walk past as if we belong here" I think walking past in the middle of the night is about as suspicious as sneaking past.

If we walked past as if we belonged here in the morning, that would be something else perhaps...

Kismet takes this moment to grasp his sword and ask it a proactive question, "Anything I should say if the Janissaries are hostile that basic soldiers would recognize? Password or anything? I assume you realize I don't trust EVER Janissary. And I figure they wont let me touch my sword if they're suspicious..."

That said, dealing with this now while we still have a chance to make decisions seems best.

I think we should try and sneak out, then if confronted say we assumed they were bandits.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The sword expresses doubt that these ARE Janissaries. From the description, they sound like conscripted locals. The sword explains that the Janissaries are fanatical, they would be turning over the village.

The sword feels you should just kill them.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[I'm just getting ready for work; I'll be back around 11 p.m. EST]

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico suggests he mount his horse and charge back to the road. That should be enough of a distraction that the others can escape to the grove.

Or we could just kill them like the sword said.

Fight or flight, Enrico will do it on horseback. I have a lance and everything. ;)

Kismet said...

My concern isn't the 2-3 here, its the 2-3 after that and the 2-3 after that.

If we want to do this though, I'm game.

Kismet said...

I mean fight.
I'm good for giving fighting a try.

Enrico Guerriero said...

I vote for fighting!

Alexis Smolensk said...

If you want to fight, then I'll have to make up a map (easy). In the meantime, you'll have to establish how you're approaching that corner. Remember the stealth rules, that the highest roll made by any one of you could give away your approach.

Let me know and I'll set up the next post.

Enrico Guerriero said...

OOC - Waiting to give Sofia a chance to weigh in.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

I like the idea of Enrico charging through them and galloping in the opposite direction, with us sneaking out the back to meet up later. We still need to make it through these parts and I'd prefer we only appear suspicious and not actually be guilty of rebellion should we need to answer for tonight at some point. That said, if cornered, of course Sofia wlll come out swinging.

Alexis, Does riding in such a way at night as Enrico described above pose any significant danger to rider and horse?

Regarding the sword, I'm all about hearing it out on things but I suspect being a sword it's opinion will often amount to "let's just kill them." I'm sure everything looks like a nail to a hammer.

Alexis Smolensk said...

There is a very definite danger in Enrico riding pell mell out into the street. He doesn't know the village at all, and being an urban setting, the horse could easily trip on something and break a leg. The horse can see better at night than Enrico can, but it is an uneven environment out there.

Moreover, Enrico might not be able to find his way back once you were separated. All the houses look somewhat alike, and once he is out there in the groves and copses surrounding the village, it could take a lot of searching to identify this building and the specific grove behind it.

Kismet said...

He doesn't need to meet us here, possibly just down the road. We can play it cool and not attack outright and walk or sneak out.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Ah let's just kill them. They killed an innocent girl! They terrorized an old man! And who knows what unspeakable things they did to the goats!

Kismet said...

"Enrico.
I give us like 3% odds of not alerting them while sneaking out.
I didn't do the math, but 4(5?) creatures rolling 1 or 2 in metal armor, a horse and fully loaded with stuff....
Let's sneak just in case it works to ease Sofia's conscience and then brutally murder these terrible people when it fails."

Kismet said...

Wow I brutally murdered it.

Put the first quotes before Let's sneak just...

I don't think Kismet does that kind of math.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Alexis, it looks like we're going to need that map. ;-)

Alexis Smolensk said...

I'll get on it.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.