Sunday, December 18, 2016

3rd Dive ~ Ibrahim First

Ibrahim, since you did not specify the point of your dive, I'll put you back where you came out of the water, diving to 0605b, where you emerged from the Mess porthole.  You use the rest of your first round underwater swimming through the porthole, then the doors, to reach 0404.  The old man is still floating in 0303, but now his eyes are open.  He has risen into a position that is halfway to upright.  As you come in the door, he stares at you, apparently wary of what you might do next.

Enrico will drift into the doorway right behind Ibrahim.

Your action?

45 comments:

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

Seeing him awake, Ibrahim will make a 'come, follow me' gesture with one hand while pointing up with the other, watching to see the strange man's reaction.

Alexis Smolensk said...

While you do that, the old man will point down at the floor, then swim down and thump his index finger specifically on one of the boards.

By that time, if Enrico so desires, he can be counted as also in the room.

I'm going to count that you, Ibrahim, have 3 AP left this round (treating these actions as more or less simultaneous).

Enrico Guerriero said...

While Ibrahim "converses" with the old man, Enrico looks around the cabin for anything of value, sentimental or otherwise, that Madame Salvador would not have likely left behind if she had abandoned ship.

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

Huh. While Enrico searches the cabin at large, Ibrahim will swim over and attempt to pry up the board indicated, using his knife if necessary.

Yuliya Romanyuk said...

Yuliya will be swimming outside the cabin doing her best to keep watching Enrico.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[sorry for the absence; I'm here, I'm here]

Enrico, the cabin looks as messed up as the kitchen did, like everything has been hopelessly swirled around.

Ibrahim, the board will take the rest of your 2nd round under water. You do need your knife, but the board comes up relatively easily.

There is a brass coffer, with silver edging and brackets, under the floorboard.

Enrico Guerriero said...

(I assume Enrico doesn't recognize the old man?)

While Ibrahim works on the plank, Enrico again motions to the old man to come with them to the surface.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Correct; there is no recognition.

The old man nods at Enrico's motion but then makes a sign that suggests, "wait and see."

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

Ibrahim will take no more than a moment to test how heavy the coffer is, then head for the porthole and the surface. Unless the coffer is feather-light, he's not trying to bring it along this trip.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Does Ibrahim plan on stealing the coffer, is he charitably doing the salvage work for whomever has the salvage rights or is he hoping to get paid for salvaging? I'm not judging or criticizing, just wondering where your head is at.

Jonathon said...

None of the above just this moment, actually; he's hoping that the coffer contains something that will answer the question "what is a weird mega-bearded apparently-human person who can hang around underwater doing here."

(Based on what we've seen so far, and the fact that we haven't touched him yet, I'm wondering if it's somehow a spirit. Or a magical projection. Or something disguised as something else. But since he pointed out the coffer's hiding place I'm hoping it holds some clue.)

The fact that we can only get through a single round's worth of underwater charades before having to go back up for air - and with no active threats, Ibrahim sees no reason to risk drowning to squeeze out one more round per dive - is pushing me to hope I can get answers that are portable enough to carry back to the surface, whether in the coffer or taken out of it. Opening it underwater is fine too, but if neither Enrico nor Yuliya do that this dive I figure that's the next step.

Enrico Guerriero said...

I don't think opening it underwater is a good idea -- what if the contents are liquid or powder?

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

Or paper!

Nine-toes said...

Or another eel....

Yuliya Romanyuk said...

Well, the old man didn't seem to want to surface until we take or examine the chest, so resurface, dive down, and maybe two of us can lift it so that it doesn't encumber any one person too severely?

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

That sounds like a plan to me!

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

That's fair, Ibrahim. I'm in agreement with everything so far.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Sounds good.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The coffer is about 10 inches by 5, about three inches high, and weighs about 2 lbs. That's not much, so I'll rule that you do as you say and go out the portal. The old man backs up to the windows that make up the stern-side wall of the captain's cabin and begins to swim out through it.

Enrico? That leaves you here alone. I don't want to hold things up, so I'll either answer any last questions/searching you might want to do, while dealing with up top.

Ibrahim, you break the surface holding the book. Yuliya saw you go past and may/may not break the surface a moment later. About four seconds after you do, the old man breaks the surface.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"HAGIOS!" shouts the old man. "The water is too cold for me!"

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico swims out with the others to resurface.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

A book eh? Inadvertent slip?

Yuliya Romanyuk said...

I'll break surface with Ibrahim and the old man. Let's get him out of the water and back to shore. How old does he look exactly?

And, since Enrico doesn't recognize him, we'll definitely want to figure out who he is. Along with how he was breathing down there. Why he was aboard the ship. What made him decide to show us the board as opposed to say, taking the chest himself and heading out.

Maybe there's something linked to him in the chest? I'm definitely suspecting some kind of spirit at this point. What's everyone else thinking?

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

He's either tethered to the box somehow or... just really wanted someone else to take it?

Anyway, I'm sure we're all as tired of the water as he is. Time to get back in the boat and head for shore so we can quiz him?

Yuliya Romanyuk said...

Sounds good to me!

Enrico Guerriero said...

Agreed.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes, that was an inadvertant slip. Damn. [you can hear it moving around inside the box]

The old man looks, as I said, in his 70s. He is swimming slowly, almost painfully, towards the rock.

One thing that must occur to Ibrahim, watching the man swim, is that perhaps he didn't have the strength to pry up the board. He certainly isn't swimming like a spirit might.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[OOC: I'm going to be out most of the day and evening, Christmas shopping, visiting, generally enjoying the season. Merry Christmas, all]

Nine-toes said...

Merry Christmas, Alexis.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.

Yuliya Romanyuk said...

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

I hope all of you have wonderful holidays and are able to spend them with those you love!

Kismet said...

Indeed, Merry Christmas!

Enrico Guerriero said...

Happy solstice. Good luck getting that job!

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

(OOC: Starting Saturday I'm going to be very scarce until January 3rd. I'm not sure what you intend in terms of running during that time, Alexis, but if the game moves forward I will do my best to keep up. If I seem lacking at all during that time its just that I'm busy with family and friends.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

[OOC: for everyone over the holidays ~ participate as little or as much as you want. Don't feel stressed to appear, or make comments; the game is going to run here and there, as people respond. This group isn't in combat, I don't imagine I will get a combat started, as that would involve moving you to a new location (unless people want to start diving again) and probably a lot of party planning.

There might turn up a confab about where the party goes after this, and some may want everyone to have a say . . . so it will probably slow down after that. No worries]

Enrico Guerriero said...

OOC - Speaking of combat. Seeing what's happening over at Campaign Juvenis, I suggest before we move onto actual combat that we "spar" against each other as a practice. I think it would be helpful both for the new players and for those of us who might be a little rusty after our time off.

Nine-toes said...

I would be happy to spar, I think that's a good idea.

Sofia Viktorova Koleva said...

Yea on the sparring.

Alexis Smolensk said...

When the time comes, give me an idea of the surface you'd like to play on, then you can pick teams.

Yuliya Romanyuk said...

I'd definitely agree to a quick sparring match to help us get comfortable with the rules.

Oddbit said...

Fair enough.

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

I think a quick spar would be a good idea.

Let's see what the underwater man has to say, and then we could even spar on the beach to help warm up those of us who were underwater!

Alexis Smolensk said...

When we're ready to continue, I have put up a new post, for describing the old man's actions.

[I did not get the govt job; got an email just a day before Christmas that I hadn't been chosen. Nice, eh?]

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

[Not nice. But exactly what I would expect from a big organization's job search process, government or otherwise.

Sorry about it, Alexis. I hope you had a nice Christmas otherwise!]