Thursday, December 15, 2016

2nd Dive ~ Investigating the Captain's Cabin

Here is the lower deck below the top deck.

If I had more time, I'd redraw this ship, with labels; the captain's
cabin is the 0300s and 0400s on the image above.

To recap:

Sofia says that the masts were cut intentionally but I must have the divers express uncertainty.  No one moved more than 15 feet closer to the masts, and remember that in water it is hard to have any clarity at a distance of greater than 6 feet without a mask of some kind.  No one was close enough to any mast to know how they were removed.

Enrico has dived back into the water, to 0703a ~ he can use his momentum to propel himself down a deck, to 0703b on the image above (one deck down); as he can do this in 2.4 seconds (diving), he can still move 2 hexes from his position on the lower deck.  He has been on the ship, so he will know that 0603 was the cook's kitchen.  I myself can't remember what 0604 was ~ can anyone remember, save me time looking?

Either will get Enrico to the Captain's cabin.  The doors of both are hanging open.

I'm going to count Ibrahim as diving a round later than Enrico; so for the moment, he hasn't actually dived; we'll work out Enrico's next move and then Ibrahim will dive to the same 0703b that Enrico is at now.

39 comments:

Enrico Guerriero said...

I don't remember what was in 0604; I found this map showing belowdecks but nothing there is shown.

So let's say Enrico goes through the kitchen and on to the captain's cabin.

Yuliya Romanyuk said...

Per Enrico's suggestion on the last post, I will dive the round after Ibrahim and watch him from 703a.

Alexis Smolensk said...

[OOC: Sorry all; had a major job interview today with the Govt, would be a massive change in my fortunes; came home, gave some time to the other campaign and then crashed for a bit. I hope you guys don't feel ignored; I love you all]

Enrico, as you go into the mess and into hex 603b, I will need you to roll a d6.

Ibrahim will plunge down to 0703b a moment later.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Hopefully this wasn't to determine how many Sahuagin are waiting for us -- I rolled a 6.

Alexis Smolensk said...

You manage not to be surprised. There is a large, six-foot moray eel that you've awoken, curled up inside one of the ship's cupboards. It snakes out towards you, quite rapidly. Please roll a d6.

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

[Congratulations on the interview, and best of luck! It sounds like a great opportunity.]

Just to check, Alexis: do you have rules in mind for lifesaving efforts? For, say, towing stunned party members back to the surface? One or more of us might need some help shortly.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ibrahim, I do. It takes between 2-3 minutes for a person to actually drown; so if someone does actually stop breathing underwater, that is, fails their constitution check, get them to the surface FAST.

It will matter.

Enrico Guerriero said...

1D6: 4

Alexis Smolensk said...

Enrico, you're not surprised. We'll roll initiative next, but hold off.

[OOC: I'm going to take a rest for tonight and perhaps for tomorrow night as well. I am not working Sunday at all ~ I have the day off. Let's take that day and make some headway on the adventure!]

Alexis Smolensk said...

[OOC: Anyone still out there?

Surprise vacation today. After three hours this morning, the outside -35 C weather caused a pipe in the restaurant to burst. Water turned off, no cooking today! So I am home early; anyone want to run?]

Enrico, do you want to roll a d6 for initiative?

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

[I'm around for a bit. Headed out for a birthday in about 90 minutes; will be back around later this evening.

Yikes on the restaurant, hope that gets fixed quickly!]

Enrico Guerriero said...

1d6: 3

Alexis Smolensk said...

I roll a '4' . . . the eel, winning initiative, drifts past Enrico, swims upwards to the ceiling and then across until it finds a small chink in the wall in 0503b. It leaves the room without attacking.

Enrico Guerriero said...

That was lucky.

Enrico gives Ibrahim a thumb's up.

Do I have enough air to explore the cabin or did the eel use up one of my rounds?

Alexis Smolensk said...

I would argue that you spend the rest of the second round reacting and relaxing after that, Enrico. But you still have a third round. The captain's door is open, but in a position that doesn't let you see into the captain's cabin. You're still in 0603b.

Ibrahim is in 0703b (now in his first round) and Yuliya is waiting to jump into 0703a.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Oh, since the map indicates a porthole in the kitchen, I will make the point that it is also open, and not clamped down or latched. Stripped down as you are, you could easily swim through it.

Enrico Guerriero said...

instead of using his last round to check out the cabin, Enrico will instead quickly survey the kitchen.

• Does it appear to have been looted, or is there evidence the crew left in haste? Are things packed away as would be expected, or does it look like the place was ransacked? (Obviously on a sunken ship things will be tossed around, but perhaps he can get an idea of how things had been left before the wreck.)

• Is the dead soldier in here, perhaps a victim of the eel?

After spending a round in the kitchen, Enrico will rejoin Ibrahim and then make for the surface.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The elements of the kitchen are in total disarray, as though someone took an enormous spoon and mixed everything together on the floor. Everything seems to still be here. A closer look at the window of the porthole shows that the screws are loose in their brackets.

There is no dead soldier in the room.

You wish to go back through the stairs? The way up through the kitchen's port would be faster.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico has always been a chubby lad and naked or no doesn't like the idea of squeezing through a window. He'll go back the way he came.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Hm.

I did say that you could, quote, "easily swim through it." How did that become "squeezing through a window"??

You're 217 lbs, not 317; you're 2nd now, so you're hard muscle. I'm not sure why you're changing my statements so that you can do things your way, but that's a 2 and a half foot wide window there, so you can EASILY swim through it.

Very well. You swim past Ibrahim and back up the stairs. I'll wait for Ibrahim and Yuliya to tell me what they're doing.

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

I swim 0604-0504 with the remainder of my first round's movement unless something interrupts me or jumps out as important during that path.

Alexis Smolensk said...

You move through a small eating area, Ibrahim, coming once again to a door that will push inwards, away from you. The doors are open, but they are largely closed. The porthole to the mess is open, as I described the one in the kitchen.

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

[That's all my movement for this round, right?]

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes, but not for this dive.

You have the opportunity for a third round of movement (and a fourth if you want to try a constitution check).

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

I should wait on Yuliya's movement then, but for reference in case I'm not around when she acts: unless a threat to her or myself presents itself during her action, I will use next round to push the door open (seeing whatever that reveals) then immediately swim to the porthole and up for air.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I can say with confidence that Yuliya is not within two hexes of a threat at this time.

You push open the door to the captain's cabin and see an old man, perhaps in his late 70s, long, scraggled beard floating about two feet in every direction from his face, apparently sleeping. You can tell he is alive from the bubbles rising over his face, rolling up to the ceiling, and from the slight twitches in his smiling lips ~ he seems to be dreaming.

Still push through the portal and towards the surface?

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

[Just said '*what*?' out loud. :-D ]

...

Is he within arm's reach? If not, then yes. Ibrahim boggles for a moment, but his own air is reaching its limit and the man has apparently been underwater for days. Our next dive can be directly to the mess and give us a chance to deal with him. Ibrahim strokes for the surface, and upon breaking into air shouts for the others.

If so, then he'll reach out to tug the man with him.

Alexis Smolensk said...

He's floating in 0304, about a foot above the floor. So you shout out to your friends as you said.

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

Ibrahim clambers back into the boat preparing to dive again, but waits for the others before doing so.

"There's a man alive in the cabin. I'm not sure how, but he's alive down there!"

He explains what he saw to the others.

[Heading to bed for the night; will check in tomorrow.]

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico swims to the surface with Ibrahim and Yuliya. He reports on the eel, perhaps making it a tad more menacing than it truly was, though it was pretty scary from his perspective.

He racks his brain trying to remember if there was a water-breathing old man on the Petrel.

Enrico Guerriero said...

OOC - OK, you got it. I thought it would be safer for Enrico to retrace his steps rather than risk another encounter while on his last round of air, and thought it would be more amusing if he avoided the window because of his body image issues.

Yuliya Romanyuk said...

[OOC – Sorry for my long absence, all. This time of year is always very busy.]

After my jump into 703a, I would figure that Ibrahim would find the old man at the same time. So I will return to the surface when he does and make my next move from there again.

We're probably getting a bit cold by now I'd expect.

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

[Looking at water temperature maps, it may only be a few degrees cooler than the air at this time of year, so we might be okay for now and one more dive might be enough!]

Alexis Smolensk said...

[Yes, you're in Greece. I have the surface water temperature at 16.6 C. That's typical vacation swimming water.

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

"So, shall we dive all together and try to pull the man out? He is close to the mess porthole, so we should be able to pull him out quickly from there.

One of us at least should hang back, in case whatever magic allows him to sleep in the water is dangerous."

Yuliya Romanyuk said...

I concur, it's possible he could be affected by strange magic. Whoever should go to pull him out should have a spotter nearby and another spotter a way's back. Perhaps we should do so in the same order as before?

Ibrahim Bin Yusuf said...

"If you'll watch my back, I am sure that Enrico will watch yours."

Ibrahim will dive back to the mess porthole and proceed to 0404.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Agreed. I dive in and swim after Ibrahim.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.