Thursday, April 10, 2014

An Interrupted Night

Sunday night, May 16th, 1651
With overcast skies and pleasant temperatures, but with a strong west wind and a light rain falling

Moon: one day after the first quarter

The Petrel leaves Amisos late in the day, following the loading and arranging of cargo.  The party becomes aware that the ship is carrying ten tons of lumber in it's hold, cut in various pieces, suggesting that it is intended for creating some kind of structure.  The serfs and slaves are put in the forward cargo hold, and the party's goods and provisions, along with animals, stored in the center cargo deck.  Here's the image reproduced of the upper and lower cargo decks on the ship:


I haven't made it clear before, so I'd like to list off the crew at this time.  Forgive me if I get a name or two wrong, or miss someone ... I've been working from memory for two years and now I'm somewhat disconnected.  Anders has been made the Bos'n, and Jacobo the First Mate.  The Second Mate is a Frenchman named Henri, and the Master-at-Arms is a Dutchman by the name of Jesper.  The cook's name is Maurice.  The pilot's name is Frelg.

Apart from these, there are nine sailors:  two Danes named Gerdt and Helvig; a Walloon by the name of Dumont; three Frenchmen named Georges, Dominic and Sevrin; an Irishman named McCann; and two Spaniards by the names of Milagros and Teodor.  IF it should happen that the party remembers another name, that I haven't included, I should swap it out for one of the above ... otherwise, I'm content to go forward with these sailors as described (with an apology for not having done so ages ago - pure laziness).

The Petrel will not strike out north, across the Black Sea, but east with the wind following her.  The delta of the Yesilirmak River shows on the shore, 20 miles east of Amisos, just as the sun is setting, thick with wand-like trees that grow from under the waterline into a low, rich canopy.  The ship hugs quite close to the coast, so that the swamp is only a mile and a bit away as the Petrel skids past it, alive with the screams of monkeys and bird calls.  The party settles in for the five-day voyage as the sun goes down.

They awake again to find the ship isn't moving.  Every sailor aboard sounds as though they're awake, and the ship is lit up with some twenty lanterns, as though it were in port.  Curious, roused from their bunks by the noise, the party climbs onto the deck to find Anders giving orders to clear the deck away and lay out netting. Attempts to query what's going on provides no answers except sharp, dismissive orders to back down and stay out of the way.  The Captain is nowhere to be seen.

The party can see two longboats approaching the Petrel from the shore with lanterns on their prows, and as they get closer the party can first see that there are fifteen figures on the boats, and that two other boats, without lights or persons, are being towed along behind.  Eventually all these boats reach the ship, and the party can see that the towed boats are loaded with pieces of heavy metal.  The crew aboard the Petrel begin to throw down grapples to snag up heavy, half-empty sacks from the ships, braces, brackets and angles, and to use nets to pull up iron balls the size of grapefruits.

87 comments:

Maximillian Boii said...

Interesting, but not concerning. perhaps some smuggling of siege weaponry?

I find a place where I'm not in the way.

Lukas said...

Can we presume I might have knowledge of whether or not these are supplies used in construction? Say of a pirate refuge somewhere?

Alexis Smolensk said...

You're not really sure, Lukas. It doesn't fit with your experience (at least, as far as we know about your experience at the moment).

The loading will go on for an hour, and during that time the Captain will not show her face. Is the party good with letting the hour pass?

Maximillian Boii said...

Yes, I have no plans to interfere or interrogate.

Lukas said...

I have no problem with letting it pass. It's not like we presumed these folks were fine upstanding citizens.

Although I will be very concerned with our direction after we begin moving again and with whether or not anyone will be kicking us off the ship.

I will take the time in the morning (provided we aren't dumped overboard) in asking the ships cook after the well being of the captain.

Furthermore, I have some concerns about the captain being forced to do something terrible to us due to some reason or another.

We may be about to be robbed. Not certain, but there are some clues. Maybe we should keep an extra eye out if possible.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Before the morning comes, 11 of the boaters - 10 men and 1 woman, all looking very hard, very dangerous, unwashed and dressed in dirty adventurer's clothing, and all Kurdish in descent, will climb onto the ship, while the remaining four will row the boats back towards shore.

Lukas said...

Lukas will try and get some private time to consult with the party. "I have concerns. They COULD just be workers to construct... something, but I want all of us ready and concerned about our group and goods safety."

Andrej said...

"I am concerned also. When Max and I gave our gifts to the captain she seemed strange. I do not yet fear for our persons, Madame Salvatore could have done with us what she has wished all along... but I do fear our involvement in some scheme or another, and hope we are not working at odds with the captain somehow."

Andrej goes to the captain's cabin.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The door to the Captain's cabin is shut.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet goes to the captain's cabin as well, and finding Andrej there, compares notes about her recent mood.

"I would like to talk to her myself, if that's all right with you," Ahmet says to the priest.

Maximillian Boii said...

Max finds somewhere else to get busy.

Lukas said...

Lukas will make himself busy overseeing the party's belongings and workers.

If Max seems to be aimless he will happily recruit him to this task.

Andrej said...

"Just tread lightly, Ahmet, and let me start things, OK?"

Andrej knocks on the door.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet grumbles and crosses his arms, waiting to see if Andrej's knock is answered.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The door knock is not answered.

Lukas said...

It's always possible the captain simply wanted to sleep through a routine cargo pickup in the middle of the night...

I just don't see TOO much loss in keeping an eye on our stuff.

Andrej said...

"Captain, it is Father Andrej and Ahmet. We would have a word if you are willing to grant it."

Alexis Smolensk said...

Maurice, the cook, will emerge from the galley. "Leave her alone, Father," he says. "She won't explain it."

Andrej said...

Andrej accepts that and gently pulls Ahmet along with him to return to our quarters. "Perhaps another time, then."

Seeking out Lukas and Max, with or without Ahmet, Andrej makes conjectures. "If anything the Captain is perhaps embarrassed over something or loathe to cause open acrimony or debate. Were we now enemies somehow I suspect it would be evident to us. Wary patience should be our adopted practice henceforth, friends."

Andrej shall go about the ship armed and armored. Breaking in the new armor, of course.

Otherwise, he spends his time in study and working to convert our settlers to Christ. He will seek to counsel Sevim, Mistassa and Ahmet as well. Should they express a willingness, he will prefer audiences with Sevim & Mistassa to be seperate from those with Ahmet.

Andrej said...

While at rest and upon the ship Andrej's spell may feed 50 people, 25 if we were working but not fighting. That easily covers our whole group, so feel free to partake of Christ's gifts. Just be ready to catch a prayer at every meal and a short sermon once a day. :)

Andrej said...

In between bouts of study and proselytizing Andrej assigns one of the slaves to assist Max in animal care, another to Lukas to assist with whatever project he's cooking up with the vardo and the third and most promising of the three, should any of them exhibit any greater promise to himself, to assist in his studies and to keep the rats away from our food stuffs.

With the serfs he will discuss immediate plans for their labor... preparing fields and building what structures will be immediately necessary... coops, fences, perhaps a well? Andrej is spending time to get to know these families and to see what skills, abilities and temperaments they may posses.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Good. Moving events along. I'll have a new post in the morning, and have just a little time for the rest of today)

Anders will drop down to explain that the deck where the party sleeps will be occupied by a group of mercenaries who have boarded the ship to make it more "battle ready" in case that is needed. He asks that the party not try to speak to these eleven others, in order to ensure that there is less conflict aboard ship; they will be going with the Petrel until the ship reaches its destination.

Andrej said...

"And which destination would that be, Anders?"

Andrej said...

Ahmet, you might want to keep a close eye on Sevim and Mistassa around these mercs, and while doing so if I may ask it watch over our serf families?

Ahmet said...

Ahmet would rather camp out in front of the captain's cabin and see if she comes out -- or if any food goes in.

Can one of you watch the women and families?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Anders tilts his head and says to Andrej, "Cumana, no?"

Alexis Smolensk said...

If Ahmet makes an attempt to remain overlong in the hall outside the Captain's door, Anders will politely ask him to return to his cabin and not be a bother.

Lukas said...

Lukas is more keen on ensuring no mercenaries get to the parties goods, but if someone else is interested in ensuring the valuables are safe, he will be fine with spending time with the women.

He will bring some of his games, a bible for teaching should they wish to learn to read and perhaps some of his other goodies from his bag of many pleasures. (various sweets and wines and whatnot)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet politely ignores Anders's polite request.

"Sorry to be in the way," Ahmet says, offering what he thinks is a smile. "I'll be back in my cabin as soon as I speak to the captain."

Andrej said...

"Cumana, yes."

Andrej trusts the others will sort out their activities based on their priorities. Left uninterrupted, he'll continue as described above perhaps dropping in on Sevim and Mist regularly, regardless of whatever their religious interest may be, simply to check in and chat.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ander will have the Master at Arms come around and politely request that Ahmet return to his cabin.

Maximillian Boii said...

I go with Lukas.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet politely declines the Master at Arms's request.

"Perhaps the Captain should ask me next," Ahmet suggests helpfully.

Maximillian Boii said...

That said, I don't intend to take up camp outside their cabin either. I keep a more watchful eye about me, but I intend to more or less go about my normal business.

Speaking of which, In the evening, I delivered the first of many pails of milk to Maurice the cook, I am teaching whichever slave it was andrej assigned to me the care of the animals (that is, what he doesn't already know) but until he picks up the hang of things, I'm doing the actual work myself, aside from the simplest of tasks.

Maximillian Boii said...

(ooc: Oh, one more thing. It occurs to me Ahmet that everyone thinks you wish to talk to the captain about the mercenaries. I think that you may have more on your mind, and may get somewhere by saying so (if that's actually the case.))

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'm going to be gone for pretty much the entire day tomorrow, so in the interest of not getting hung up waiting for me...)

Faced with the Master at Arms and Anders, and not seeking to provoke some kind of conflict, Ahmet raises his hands in peace. "Please ask the captain to send for me when she is ready for visitors," he says. He returns to Sevim and Mistassa, keeping a wary eye on them as concerning the mercenaries.

Lukas said...

Yes, let us not get kicked off the ship.

I'm guessing the captain is setting up something she'd rather not have non-pirates know about after we're dropped off.

Better that we wont betray them (willingly or unwillingly).

Just like we have no interest in telling them about our own secrets.

Andrej said...

I'm inclined to see things your way Lukas. The mercs being Kurds may be indicative of an inclination on the captain's part to stay local and to raid Ottoman ships. She could have learned and done much in the several weeks we have been apart. If she wants to keep that information to herself, who can blame her? I assume that the materials onloaded last evening are for this purpose. My greater concern right now is co-habitation with the mercs and seeing to the souls of my new charges.

Andrej said...

Thinking long term, if the captian does stay put with the intention of raiding merchant ships and our mission grows to serve merchant traffic, we may ultimately be at odds with one another.

Maximillian Boii said...

I agree with lukas as well. If the captain intends to put herself at odds with us, we'll know it soon enough.

Andrej, sometimes the presence of wolves drives the sheep to the fold...

Maximillian Boii said...

Actually, that's not a good analogy.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: I'm going to need two hours)

Lukas said...

Actually Andrej. If we're lucky there will be enough ships that connections with us could ensure the ships actually get through.

It's just a matter of what deal we strike with the captain. That said, the government might have some questions for us at that point.

Maximillian Boii said...

The advantage of being in the middle of nowhere, Lukas...

Andrej said...

It's a good point Lukas, partnership with the captain, and was ostensibly her purpose in seeing us here to begin with if you recall. Andrej was originally set on this path by a Hapsburg noble and then the church, so they would be our natural allies or sponsors. In this scenario, the Capatain could enrich herself raiding Ottoman ships and hopefully would only remain a nuissance to such a vast empire.

The way I'd see things shaping up would be our mission would serve as a Western alternative to Azov for shipping and trade and rather than questions we'd most likely be fending off or managing advances made by regional and even foreign powers to take over or wipe out the operation. The Ottomans could flick a pinky and wipe us out... for that matter the Russians, the Cossacks and even Cumana could as well. We'd be operating in-between and beneath the notice of those powers only for so long should we enjoy any success. I'd suspect eventually we'd be absorbed or wiped out by one or another. It's really quite cheeky what we're attempting here.

Alexis Smolensk said...

At the moment, having started a new post and then backing off from it, I think the best thing to do would be to explain the next day, and let the party respond to that first.

The shit turns to the north, with clear skies and a prevailing wind, while the 11 mercenaries begin to construct mangonels on the deck of the Petrel. I suppose I don't need to explain it, but these are six foot square small catapults designed to throw the iron grapefruits that were brought on board the ship. The lumber from below is hoisted up onto the deck, and the angles and braces are then pounded into place as the wood is sawn and finished to make seige weapons. The Kurds are too busy at work to be much of a threat to the serfs or slaves below deck, but Anders gives orders that the families at least should not be allowed above the cargo hold unless the Master at Arms attends them. The Master at Arms, in turn, doesn't have the time.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"the shit" ... lol. Should be ship. Sorry.

Andrej said...

It's just as well the serfs stay put. Andrej's actions remain as describe above, summarized below:

- personal study and proselytizing
- look in occasionally on Sevim and Mist
- Get to know serfs and slaves alike to ascertain any noteworthy skills, capabilities or personalities
- Feeding our entire party with 50 lbs. a day of food
- assigning slaves to work with Lukas and Max on their projects

Maximillian Boii said...

My main task is teaching the slave his duties with regard to the animals as described above, milking the cow and trying not to be a nuisance while observing the weather on deck.

Andrej, Did you add the 1000 gp I donated to the mission to your inventory?

Lukas said...

Sounds good to me for now. Here's hoping our Cumana arrival isn't a raid of the town we arrive at.

Andrej said...

Max, I did not. I wasn't sure if you still intended to give it after I encouraged you to keep it. If you confirm or re-confirm your intention I'll make the changes as necessary.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Very well, let's talk counsel/proselytizing. For each day, Andrej attempts to spend an hour with each of the fathers to encourage them to change their faith. This is three hours a day, and does not count as resting, so Andrej will feel the effort in his food consumption.

To manage this, however, requires that Sawlat (wis 10), Faiz (wis 9) and Munzir (wis 7) are willing to let Andrej discuss the matter. Starting with Monday morning, and going until Wednesday, I find that Andrej can talk to both Faiz and Munzir on both Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday, they both turn Andrej down. Sawlat, however, won't talk to Andrej until Wednesday.

Thus, I need five % rolls from Andrej, two each for Faiz and Munzir, and one for Sawlat ... and as regards Thursday, the ship will be approaching Cherzeti and I will want to make another post by then.

Go ahead and roll.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Regarding typical shipboard life, allow that the slaves learn their duties, that Sevim makes herself familiar with the serfs and manages to befriend them on the whole, that word is not given to Ahmet that the captain wants to speak for the three days, that Lukas works on his Vardo with Hichem's help, etc.

Andrej said...

Five percentile rolls in order:

12%, 6%, 30%, 12%, 86%

Alexis Smolensk said...

Go ahead and say which were successful, Andrej; they have to equal or be less than your study points. You need ten successes with each candidate.

Andrej said...

That's four successes, so I'll just go in order and say two each for Faiz and Munzir. The 86% was for the more reluctant Sawlat.

How could/ should my enthrall spell be influencing this? I think either the spell description or your method of determining converts may have changed since I selected the spell... I recall selecting it based in large part upon its utility in making converts.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ah, make a system, and so come the 'obvious' influences ... heh heh heh.

I love power players.

Take note that the conversion system DOES NOT depend in any manner on Andrej's charisma. The wisdom check on the listener exists because it assumes the listener has been preached at before, and has a natural resistance to be preached at again. So the fact that Andrej's charisma is raised to 21 by the spell actually has no effect on any of dynamics of the conversion system.

Granted, it does give the cleric the power to talk for a LONG time; but since the purpose of the spell is to amuse and 'enthrall' the listener, and not necessarily to 'convince' the listener of any particular belief or ideal, while the spell goes on the magic is what is active, not the cleric's choice of words. In fact, read straight, the cleric can talk about the same-gender sex practices in chickens and the audience will still love it.

In now way does the spell indicate that anyone comes out of it with a different opinion of the cleric or anything the cleric believed, nor does it imply that the cleric can use the enthrall time to any specific purpose.

Thus, my argument would be that enthrall has NO effect whatsoever on religious counselling or conversion.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: I have a meeting in about half an hour. Is there any other business before the end of Wednesday, game time, the 19th of May?)

Andrej said...

I'm not Power Playing, but playing under a previously established assumption based on the passage below from you cleric class description, written prior to the current system:

Upon reaching the 4th level, the cleric may choose to establish a church or temple; he must do so in a community of no less than 2,000 persons, where such persons do not have spiritual leadership. A city of 10,000 that possessed 4 churches would be a sufficient locale. The site may be rural, but must have a single municipality of no less than 100 persons. The ground must be consecrated. It is possible for the cleric to find an abandoned church free from desecration and rededicate it.

To induce a congregation to attend, individuals must be approached in-groups of 2-5 persons. The spell enthrall will allow the speak to as many as the spell will allow. All approached will be “gathered” according to a modified random die roll. Each number between 2 and 12 indicates each groups toleration.

Andrej said...

I'm perfectly OK with rules changing, and consider your current system of using sage abilities to be superior to the one previously implied in the copied passage. But if enthrall no longer has any bearing on the system, and since I haven't once used it in the campaign since selecting it, would you allow me to select another 2nd level spell in its place?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Plainly, we do have two rules that don't work together ... what I would call in the passage I'm writing at the moment values. Well done for calling me out on all that.

Please, choose another spell.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Power players demonstrate immediately what's wrong with the system. If you prefer that I do not use that term, I'll say "smart" players, or "big picture" players. You caught me out, plain and simple.

I had considered this morning the argument that a sermon could serve as a mass means to convert a lot of people, if you could get them to all come out (wisdom check again) and listen, so that everyone who wasn't in the religion could be upgraded one success every time they could be induced to join. That would allow greater conversion speeds for lesser persons.

For the record, please delete all the content that you posted. It was copied and not properly read over when I upgraded the sage/ceremony rules.

Andrej said...

Power Player does have negative connotations for me, but I wasn't certain whether you were being sarcastic or not. :)

Like I said, your most recent take on proselytizing and how the sage skills influence it strikes me as far superior to what I had assumed was there before. I like that its a learned and honed skill and not poof you're a Christian, you failed your save.

I also like that I can now select augury as I had originally wanted to do when I took enthrall. Thanks!

No more business for me. As the weather is nice here and what work remains can be easily put off 'til Monday, I'm headed home. Have a good weekend all.

Lukas said...

Does this mean Andrej will be entertaining my paranoid questioning?

Andrej said...

Lukas, you don't know how hesitantly I selected that spell for just that reason. ;)

Maybe I'll grant you one augury for every fireball you cast on the party's behalf.

Maximillian Boii said...

haha, I love it. What do I have to trade you for my own inane auguries?

(ooc: As an aside, as an athiest I always misunderstood conversions to happen more or less that way: "poof you're a Christian, you failed your save." Also, I think my wife would happily listen to a talk about same-gender sex practices in chickens, no spell required. So both those quotes gave me a good chuckle.

Andrej, you're hands down the best player I've played with, which maybe isn't saying much, but the fact remains. Equally as much as Alexis' detailed worled, it was the chance to play with you and Ahmet that inspired me to send the first e-mail to Alexis. (Sorry Lukas, you were still pretty new then.)

I think I have the same connotation of power player as being synonymous with "Munchkin")

Alexis Smolensk said...

Oh god, Munchkin.

Lukas said...

I hope you enjoy campfires lit by fireball Andrej...

I'm ready to ride out till our destination unless some conflict happens with the crew/mercs and us.

I will take the advice of the leadership of the crew to be in our best interests and follow it.

As an aside, 3rd level spells are a VERY hard choice I'd welcome some thoughts from the party from my 'narrowed' choice.

Blink
-Teleport through walls, defensive

Fireball
-Massive damage AoE, No Friend/Foe, environmental hazards

Haste
-Everyone gets defensive/offensive boosts

Invisibility 10' radius
-Everyone is invisible

Lightning Bolt
-High damage, Friend/Foe

Melf's Minute Meteor
-Low/Moderate damage, Friend/Foe, break armor

Monster Summoning 1
-Minions to bog down/trip traps/whatever tickles my fancy

Phantasmal Force
-Super flexibility, capable of defensive/offensive ability

Protection from Normal Missiles
-I have yet to see magic ranged weapons.

Suggestion
-Charm Person for non-persons.

I'm feeling like we need some more ranged damage or defenses which would be covered by all but two of those spells, but the rest are still plenty useful.

Fireball is the classic, but I would expect Alexis will actually pay attention to the fact large amounts of loot (books, scrolls, wood wands...) will be turned into ash.

Andrej said...

Max, thanks. I take that as high praise given the other outstanding players in the group. Playing with you guys specifically is a large part of the draw for me too, though I have enjoyed every incarnation of what was originally Alexis's Bavarian campaign.

Lukas, fireball and lightning bolt are both the classics to me and its tough to argue against them, particularly with how combat xp is earned in this game. That said, I've always been a fan of haste and blink.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Lukas, take note. Phantasmal force no longer exists as a spell. It has been chopped up and moved entirely into the illusionist camp.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: I'm going to work on other things today, Gentlemen. This is going to happen more often, I'm afraid. I have 75 days to finish my Advanced Guide and about 20 days to finish my essay collection)

Lukas said...

Darn, Phantasmal Force was my lead contender. Make sure it's not in your spellbook generator, if you used one that is. My spellbook had it in the spreadsheet.

Lightning bolt only hits up to 3 targets in this version. I believe Fireball is untouched. With Phantasmal Force out of the way, Fireball has a strong lead, but might prove not to be used often due to collateral damage risk.

OH! and Andrej if any of these are on your list and you're planning on taking them, be sure to mention that reason. Unless it's a 'more is always better' spell.

Oh there's a Fly too. I don't think I included it because it didn't seem particularly relevant to our adventures so far.

Fireball
Haste
Monster Summoning
Lightning Bolt

Are my top 4 right now.

(OOC: That just means about 90 days till more consistent scheduling yeah? Accounting for shipping things and whatnot.)

Maximillian Boii said...

I don't know how you could pass up fireball, but yeah, it's a dangerous spell.

In addition to the experience benefits of such a strong offensive spell, consider the potential need to defend our mission from potential marauding hordes...

Lukas said...

Phantasmal Force was an easy sell.

Oh look now there's a giant wall. Good luck shooting arrows at us.

Oh no, the wizard opened a pit.

Uh oh, he's calling down meteors from the sky....

I mean, if you take into account that they can see me casting 'a spell' and assume that most people are too ignorant to know which spell, it's an easy sell in Alexis game.

There are a number of spells that are heavily swung out of traditional weighting of power due to the nuances of Alexis world and the assumption that the DM isn't trying to beat the players.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I generated that spell list of yours, Lukas, before I started rewriting the Illusionist and dividing P.F. into phantasmal figure, phantasmal feature, phantasmal guard and so on.

Shipping time is typically 5 days, so I will be trying to bring it in under 75, yes.

Our fundraiser was advanced to July 3 (the June 12th date didn't work for the act we found), so I might be able to bring the book in by that date. Maybe.

If not, the legitimate launch will probably be around the 15th of July, and of course Toronto is the last four days of August.

Andrej said...

What is the area on fireball again?

Do what you need to do, Alexis. I'm sure we'll be ready when you are.

Lukas said...

Here's the base info...
Range: 10’ + 10’ per level
Duration: instantaneous
Area of Effect: 40’ diameter sphere
Casting Time: 2 rounds
Saving Throw: half damage

1d6/Level still.

Lukas said...

This pretty much makes it a choice of which half of the room to toast.

In retrospect I should definitely choose fireball. I get a cut of XP for all damage taken by the party ;)

Andrej said...

I think you'll get less frequent use out of a fireball due to that 8-hex diameter, but it should be spectacular when it is used. As far as doubling up on spells, none of those you listed are cleric spells. Off the top of my head, the only spell on my own short-list that is also a mage spell is dispel magic.

Lukas said...

That is an option as well, but it wasn't on my list. Someday it's going to be a good one, but I wanted my first 3rd to see a lot of use, and the ones after that to see less and be more utility oriented.

Lukas said...

Oh and the full rewrite of lightning bolt essentially says...
"Pick three targets in range. They take 1d6/level, have their equipment fried and save for half damage. BTW lightning does not bounce."

Alexis Smolensk said...

There are quite a number of rules I have been playing for some time that haven't been written down.

The fireball does not have to be full-sized with every cast. The 'ball' can be made any size that the mage wishes. However, it does have to be cast as a sphere. Because my combats rarely go on with everyone in a neat line, and because it takes two rounds to cast a third-level spell. usually the battlefield is a mess by the time the mage can get the spell off; this means, either cause damage to friends and foe alike, or get not so many foes at one time.

Also, the fireball is less damaging in my world, as everything, particularly larger monsters, get more hit points.

Experience is awarded thusly: 10 x.p. per point of damage of the fireball, up to the maximum amount of damage the creatures take. Thus, if the mage does 21 hp with the spell, and three orcs with 15, 12 and 11 hit points die in the blast, the mage gets 150 x.p. If the orc with 11 hit points saves, and thus only takes 10 damage (fractions are discarded), while the other's die, the mage gets 120 x.p. However, if there were 5 orcs, all with 12 h.p., whose combined hit points were 60, who all died, then the mage would be entitled to 3 x.p. per total hitpoints destroyed, or 180 x.p. (instead of 120). In the first example above, the three orcs lost a total of 38 hp, which x3 would only be 117 x.p. - so the higher total of 150 x.p. is given.

Thoroughly confused now? I trust not. This is more or less how all damage from all mage spells works.

(... more coming)

Alexis Smolensk said...

The preference of the lightning bolt is that it will pick three targets in range of the spell, in any direction from the mage, so upon casting the spell I can hit an enemy to my right, my left and behind me, simultaneously, with no damage done to any ally, since the lightning can curve around them or over their heads (there might be a situation where this wouldn't work, such as being surrounded by very tall allies who blotted out the mage's line-of-sight). Experience is usually based on the total maximum damage of the lightning bolt to one target x10.

The monster summoning gives the mage 5 x.p. for ever point of damage the summoned monsters cause, and 10 x.p. bonus points to the entire party (not just the mage) for every point of damage they suffer. It's not that I like giving this XP, but technically it is damage and death the party witnesses, so it fits with my justification for giving group experience. It usually doesn't wind up being as much x.p. as it looks, as by this time parties need much more x.p. to go up levels.

Lukas said...

This is probably the point where I prefer reading algebra to be honest.

X = XP, D = actual Damage (Not potential), tD = total Damage

Lightning bolt:
Greatest per creature of
D*10

Summons:
As normal combat except I get minion D

Fireball: (This one is throwing me more than the other two.)

Greater of...
tD*3
or
Greatest Per Creature of
D*10

Not sure about the last one...

Variable damage up to 40' of course yes?

Lukas said...

Sorry, that last line should be elaborated.

I assume the variable diameter of the fireball has an upper limit of 40'?

Also, I always agree with the concept of optional variables as they usually incur increased versatility.

Ahmet said...

Ah, I never thought about it this way before: Fireball is a bomb and lighting bolt is a guided missile.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes on all counts, Lukas. Yes, that's right Ahmet.

The next post is up.

Lukas said...

Ok, that makes sense. I think there was a typo in the original fireball that suggested if the 11 HP dropped the damage by half the XP goes down.

I think you meant the 15 HP target. Thanks for verifying.