Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Keyhole

Starting a new post as the previous one's comment thread is getting long.  Everyone's location; Bert, Maximillian and Ahmet are in the first room of the minotaurs; Lukas and Andrej are standing on the plank in the pool room.

35 comments:

Andrej said...

(Pasted from last post)

Andrej places the wand back into the chest.

"You're going to like this, Lukas."

He closes the lid then pushes it onto the plank for lifting. His next action, should he go uninterrupted, will be to tie this chest up like the last for Max to hoist up.

Andrej said...

(Pasted from last post)

Lukas, once I fetch the mirror and it gets lifted out, how about we have the boys shut the lid and you and I stay down here and see what happens, eh?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Presumed that Andrej's stated actions have taken place.

Lukas said...

How about we don't shut a lid that requires 6 hands when we don't know if Bert's hands count?

I actually did have a thought if we got stuck down here. I think we'd be good till the oxygen gives out given you can make food.

Lets instead use the staff technique?

Maximillian Boii said...

so, are you guys going to stick the key in the keyhole, or what?

When the chest is ready for hauling, I pull it up.

Ahmet said...

Lukas having dropped down to the plank, he attempts to discharge - but he doesn't unlock the keyhole with his cantrip. Lukas can feel the magic turned back by the surface of the pond.

Why try to do anything down there? Get it up here away from the pond.

Andrej said...

I had assumed Bert's hands would count, but sound thinking nonetheless, Lukas.

Andrej hands his key off to Lukas for his contraption.

Andrej moves toward the mirror, and unless interrupted will lift it, carry it back to the plank and tie it up for hauling out.

I assume once both chests are topside, Max and/ or Ahmet will begin consolidating them as previously suggested.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Lukas has just enough twine to tie his key to his staff, the end of which he has to split with his dagger. The twine is about 20 inches in length.

Accepted that both chests and the mirror have been lifted up to the floor where Ahmet and Maximillian are standing. Bert lays on the first trunk to come up and falls asleep.

Andrej said...

All right Lukas, I'm ready when you are.

Ahmet, I don't think we'd be able to reach the key hole from up top as you suggested, but if Lukas can somehow make it reach, I'm game.

Otherwise, if you're ready let's try this thing out, Lukas.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I gotta get confirmation from the Mage on that.

Lukas said...

I try the key-spear for the lock.

And by try I mean I stick the staff in and insert the key end into the lock then rotate the staff with the intent to unlock the... something?

Maximillian Boii said...

I stand at the ready to do ... something ... if the mage is vaporized or otherwise hurt without also killing the rest of us.

Maximillian Boii said...

(ooc: argh, no idea why I keep getting double posts. sorry.)

Ahmet said...

Maximillian, you want to consolidate while I guard, or vice versa?

Ahmet said...

I suppose the chests themselves have some value, but I just think we're going to run out of hands.

Lukas said...

I'm more concerned about the 'no armor' exit.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Lukas finds the key hole is about six feet under the surface of the water, but he feels no more resistance to his pole, and no more effect, than he would if he were pushing the pole into an ordinary pond. He has some trouble lining up the key, but it goes in straight and true, and when he turns the key, he feels a very definite click.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Immediately the bottom of the pool drops, and the water rushes away all at once, as though the bottom were smashed out of a flask. The center stays in place, where the chain from the trap door above is fixed, but all around the outside there appears a circular stairwell, with stairs 8 feet wide, turning out of sight. In no time all the water is gone, there's no sign of any electrical effect, and Andrej and Lukas are standing on a plank some ten or twelve feet above the line of stairs below. If either of you have any vertigo, a roll needs to be made.

Lukas said...

Well then... I think we need to make a choice here. Do we need to use healing items and move on?

Lukas said...

Unless it's not in my character generator I do not. I do however make my way to the top of the stairs.

Alexis Smolensk said...

No trouble getting there, Lukas.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: We've made some headway today. I'm glad. I'm going to have to make my way for the rest of the day. Feel free to speak among yourselves, with reference to Lukas' proposal)

Andrej said...

As much as it pains me to say so, I think we need to leave now, haul out this loot and collect our XP for it, heal up and return.

Lukas said...

OK, but lets rebury the door then.

Andrej said...

Yes, agreed. We shut and re-bury the door.

Let's also try moving the key counter-clockwise to see if the stairs resume their previous posture as well. Probably not, but worth checking, no?

Lukas said...

I wont lie, but I can't imagine that would be much of an issue leaving it open and seems more of a hazard than a benefit to rely on the stick-key that much.

If the cows really were shitting on it, then I doubt they went down there often. Also, given it drains downwards, I have my doubts things go upwards very often.

Lukas said...

The staircase open. Not the hatch.

Andrej said...

In the event that we have the only key I'd like for us to control access to whatever is down there.

Ahmet said...

I agree with Andrej... let's leave it locked.

Alexis Smolensk said...

You can't close the stairs again with the key, should you try. Apparently, once open, they're open.

So, may I take it as a given that you climb up, close the trap door and rebury it, then begin taking your gain outside?

Andrej said...

Yes, only adding that the chest we don't use will be dropped into the space below the trap door before closing and burying it.

That should leave us with one combined chest of unkown weight, a mirror or unkown weight and three books @ 45 lbs. each left to haul out.

Did Max have time to butcher the bull?

Maximillian Boii said...

It took me overnight to admit it to myself, but I agree with andrej, we should get out of here as quickly as possible. So, as far as I'm concerned, we can take that as a given, Alexis.

Ahmet said...

Ready to go.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Give me 20 minutes)

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.