Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Minotaur, Round 2 & 3 - The Melee Begins



Here's the end of the minotaur's move, showing character paths from the round before.  The minotaur leaps back to the wall, seizes an enormous battle axe, stamps onto the hay bed and takes a defensive stance, emitting a terrifying bovine roar as he urges Ahmet to come forward.

Andrej has his spell ready.  Please take action.

UPDATE: following the players' last action, and the successful hold person on the minotaur:


56 comments:

Andrej said...

Andrej moves to 0507 and releases the spell at the minotaur.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I want to get other person's actions set before rolling a save against the spell.

Maximillian Boii said...

(Argh, I wanted to wait until I saw if the spell was going to work...)

Maximillian Boii said...

Allright, caution and compassion to the wind... I'm moving at double speed now, and charge at the minotaur, making an attack with my admittedly puny-feeling club (Shillelagh'd). Ending up in 0405.

d20+1+1:16
2d4+1:5

I don't remember your charging rules, but I don't think I get a bonus to hit.

Andrej said...

Hitting the minotaur with an attack will dispel the effect. Will the attacks count before the spell takes effect or after?

Lukas said...

Does it look like he can reach out 2 hexes with that axe?

I want to move forwards and throw another dart, but don't want to be immediately within arms reach.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Andrej is releasing the spell in his first AP; Maximillian, who has declared his move, is using his first 1.5 AP to cover the three hexes to the minotaur; then 2 more AP to swing.

IF he had said he was moving up to attack, then I would automatically say that he'd pull his attack once the spell took hold. But Maximillian has already indicated that he's "charging" ... so he's going to swing in if he doesn't make a wisdom check.

However, first, he must roll a d20 to see if he does or does not break before charge (the charge does give a +3 bonus to hit, and +1 damage, Maximillian). Could I get that d20 roll, please?

Lukas, yes, he can definitely swing that axe two hexes.

Lukas said...

Lukas will move to 0506 and then draw and throw a dart (provided hold person does not work.)

I assume the point is to use hold person to arrange ourselves? Or will we try and talk? I mean, I guess I'm confused about the plan then.

Lukas said...

If the throw happens...

d20: 16 (14, thrown +1, dart +1)
d3: 3

Maximillian Boii said...

(ooc: shit, sorry. I thought he meant my action would take place first.)

d20: 19

Lukas said...

(OOC: That brings up interesting thoughts regarding synchronicity. Going in order of AP makes sense for tiebreaking... until we have different AP, so do you cut from the beginning or end? Or am I nitpicking again? I just like the academic questions...)

Andrej said...

Wouldn't Andrej be using his 3rd movement point, since he moved two hexes then releases?

Plan is, I think, once held we have time to do whatever we want. We could disarm him and all line up to wallop him with our best stuff, for instance.

Maximillian Boii said...

Or, ya know, speak to him...

Anyway, I'm sorry I screwed up the plan.

Andrej said...

It's OK, it was more a spur of the moment thing than an actual plan.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes, sorry Andrej. BUT. Until you discharging the spell, you can't move more than 1 hex. IF the rule is there that says you can't move more than 1 hex during a round in which you hold the spell, it does follow that you can't then move two before discharging one.

I had not looked at the map; I assumed you had moved 1 hex, and didn't check it, and then totally forgot that you had moved at all when describing the timing of everything that happens.

Let's go back, hm? You use one point moving, then one point discharging; still makes Maximillian's attack happens after you.

Please redesignate your move before discharging.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet charges two hexes to 0504 (1 AP) and swings Dilmek at the Minotaur (2 AP).

To hit: 15
Damage: 12

Alexis Smolensk said...

Maximillian's roll of 19 to charge blows his confidence (wisdom check with a bonus modifier of +1 per three levels). Thus, at the last moment, Maximillian finds himself face to face with a terrifying, massive beast and loses his will to swing. His AC drops by 4 points and he stands there freaked out in his boots.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Maximillian's roll of 19 to charge blows his confidence (wisdom check with a bonus modifier of +1 per three levels). Thus, at the last moment, Maximillian finds himself face to face with a terrifying, massive beast and loses his will to swing. His AC drops by 4 points and he stands there freaked out in his boots.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I don't mind the nitpicking, Lukas. I'm mostly anxious that we don't play a game where people stand around for two AP of Andrej's move before taking any kind of action at all, to see if the spell worked, and then decide to use their whole five AP after to take actions.

The points to guess how much Maximillian would do before the spell went off was, straight out, an answer that was made given the situation in order to offer timing here. I could institute a total system for who uses what AP at what point in the combat if you like; it's not something I would do live, because it's a huge hang-up, but if that is what the party wants me to do ...

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Can't we just go by Dexterity, as we did in the Ankheg hole? Maybe it's not realistic -- I'm sure all this stuff is pretty much happening simultaneously -- but at least going by Dex we'd all know the "batting order" every encounter.)

Lukas said...

I think this current system works.
I have no problem with this system.
I think we shouldn't hold up combat for this.

That said, I'm curious if thought into this would yield anything beneficial for other combats.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I went and wrote the post on this.

Ahmet, I have no problem with by dexterity. All I wanted was a clear statement of what everyone intended to do before the spell went off. I really hadn't planned to get into this sort of debate.

In future, we can limit the answers to, "I charge the minotaur" "I'm going to move and throw" "I'm going to move and ?" ... and then we can leave specifics to after the saving throw is made.

Andrej said...

Re-designation: Andrej moves to 0709 before discharging his spell.

Andrej said...

As for how to manage combat and timing, I think the way this was handled works just fine. It's OK if we sometimes step on each others toes, we'll just learn to coordinate better.

Maximillian Boii said...

It's certainly more realistic than the typical turn-based fight...

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ahmet, you also said you were charging. I need you to roll a d20 also.

I need to settle that roll before I can move forward.

Ahmet said...

D20: 4

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ahmet, at the last moment before attacking the creature, pulls up - seeing that Andrej's spell has taken effect. Ahmet has seen it before ... and once Maximillian realizes that he's not going to suddenly die from having over-pushed himself, relaxes.

Suspending the rest of Maximillian's move, as he gets over the shakes, and since the attacks do not take place, Ahmet has used 2 AP, Lukas 2 AP and Andrej 2 AP. Does anyone wish to make further moves this round?

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: I have a meeting that's going to use up the last of my day. Take care all)

Ahmet said...

(2 AP, or 1 for me? I charged two hexes, I thought that would be 1 AP? Or does pulling up cost 1 AP?)

Lukas said...

I'm good for planning now. I have no intent to deal damage. Let you guys sort yourselves out.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet takes no further action.

Andrej said...

Andrej draws his mace.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sorry Ahmet, my brain is just not on. You're right. You've expended 1 AP.

Ahmet said...

I'm assuming we have to throw out that roll. So I'll hold off my attack. It seems like the other members of the party were interested in parleying. Frankly I don't think we'll get very far but maybe we can say something that will... moo-tivate him.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The minotaur cannot speak while being held, so parleying is out of the question at this point. Andrej, could you briefly explain your reasons for hold person. I'm going to put up a new image on this post that shows the change in character position.

Lukas said...

"Plan is, I think, once held we have time to do whatever we want. We could disarm him and all line up to wallop him with our best stuff, for instance."

So try and disarm and prepare attacks.

I guess that means next round I start casting magic missile?

Ahmet said...

Hm... I wonder how long he is held for.

Could I saw off his thumbs?

Lukas said...

I believe that counts as an attack or damage.

Andrej said...

Let's take his weapons away, position ourselves around him to maximize our tactical advantage and try to kill him.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet attempts to remove the battle axe from the minotaur's hands as gently and non-attackingly as possible.

He asks Maximillian to grab the great sword off the wall.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The rule says, "... if the creature is struck or attacked, the spell's influence on that creature will be broken." I have to rule that disarming the creature will not break the spell.

Keep in mind that time is running on the clock. As Ahmet begins to remove the axe, and as Lukas considers casting magic missile, and as the others consider what they might do, a bull-roar is heard from behind the closed door beside the straw bed.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet disarms faster.

Andrej said...

You guys finish disarming him. He'll be held for 9 rounds from the spell taking effect.

Andrej moves to 08016.

Lukas said...

Well at least it's the closed door.

I'm definitely casting magic missile.

Lukas said...

We may want to focus on the newcomer if this one is down for 9 rounds for sure.

Andrej said...

Agreed Lukas.

From his vantage @ 0816 can Andrej tell of the door @ 07012 opens into this room or into the adjoining room?

Ahmet said...

Is the trough movable? We could try barricading the door with it, if it opens into this room.

Although anything we can move is probably not going to pose much of a challenge to an angry bull man.

Andrej said...

Ahmet, I say we instead maximize our time trying to kill what's behind the door while the current guy is held.

Lukas said...

If the door opens inwards I could probably stop them from getting through for a while with one spell.

That said, it would probably stop us from getting through for a while too...

I'm just saying, a maximum sized block of stone from a material spell has to weigh a LOT.

Maximillian Boii said...

While we're deciding what to do, I take the sword off the wall, and slide it across the floor towards the door we came in through using my left hand.

We could try to bind the held one using my rope, but I don't know how successful we'd be...

Lukas said...

I prefer focusing on the new one.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The door opens into the adjoining room.

The trough is about 700 lbs.

Understood, casting magic missile.

I'll be getting up the next post likely within the hour.

Ahmet said...

Yes, I think we have enough time... provided a) it comes through the door fairly soon and b) there's only one of them. :)

Once Ahmet has the battle axe, he slides it toward the 0707 doorway/Andrej.

Alexis Smolensk said...

0816 is well off the map, Andrej. Do you mean, perhaps, 0806?

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.