Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Old Storeroom Again

Once again, the party is underground, having removed their armor, replaced it, sorted themselves out and settled into a discussion of what to do next.  A description of the old storeroom can be read here.

93 comments:

Lukas said...

Lukas will use the light from Bert's lantern to disassemble the wall.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Bert is happy to hold the lamp for you, and refrain from inquiring why you're doing what you're doing.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet draws Dilmek and watches the wall. He asks Andrej to watch the bug hole, and Max to guard the gate they entered.

Lukas said...

Lukas will offer a thought after he starts picking at the mortar again.

"Bert, there's a room on the other side. Perhaps when this hole is big enough you can see what's in there. Shouldn't take as long as for us."

Then he continues picking away at the mortar to disassemble the wall.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Bert thinks. "Hm. Well, it's an adventure. Agreed."

Andrej said...

Andrej accepts Ahmet's direction and keeps an eye on the bug hole while Lukas works.

"Never thought I'd live to see the mage doing the grunt work, boys."

;)

Lukas said...

Looks like we proceed until Bert can go through.

I do anyhow.

Alexis Smolensk said...

When there is a hole large enough for Bert, he will hand the lantern to Lukas, then apologize. "Don't let this upset you," he says.

Then he vanishes.

Lukas said...

Given Lukas is left with an additional lantern, he assumes that Bert has 'gone to sleep' again. Except without the sleeping part.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Two minutes pass. There's no noise from the hole.

Andrej said...

"Wait it out some more, I suspect Bert can take care of himself or would at least shout out if he could not."

Andrej said...

"Though, perhaps in the meantime we should be working on making that hole bigger..."

Lukas said...

"Bert, are you back?"

Lukas will whisper, under the assumption that Bert may have forgotten he is invisible, or was not asked for reporting afterwards...

If there is no reply he will look to the others before starting to remove more bricks.

Every few minutes he will whisper it again... just in case.

Alexis Smolensk said...

He reappears, sweating a little. "Yes, yes, I am here. Sorry, I do not see that well in pitch darkness. I felt it would be best to be silent and wait for some light from the hole to find its way through before exploring."

He stretches his neck a bit, then goes on; "It's empty, it seems," he says. "It's a storeroom; sacks, some lumber, some big solid pieces of salt ... and a giant bureau that's seen better days. Seems to be just stuffed in the back. There's a few tools by the hole we made, too. That's about all I could see."

Lukas said...

Lukas nods, "Is there a door? Or just the room and no other proper entrance? Also, did you notice any lighting tools like lamps, candles or torches inside the room?"

Lukas waits for a response then adds, "Thank you for taking a look. I'm going to finish the hole so we all can get through."

And he does.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"Oh yes, yes there's a door. I don't know if it's proper ... I mean, morally speaking, that really depends on what's on the other side, no? And isn't a lighting tool the thing that creates the light, rather than the thing that stays alight?" Bert shakes his head. "You know, you're plainly a very intelligent fellow, Lukas, but I do with you would speak more plainly."

Lukas said...

While continuing his work, Lukas will try and clarify, "Is there any evidence that the inhabitants that use that room require light to see?"

Maximillian Boii said...

The lazy druid deigns to assist Lukas.

Bert, speaking with you is just as puzzling for us as it seems for you.

Your manner of speech implies that you experience the world quite differently from the way we do.

Have you seen a clock?

Alexis Smolensk said...

"I have faced that face, yes," says Bert.

"No, no evidence of that kind," Bert says to Lukas. He then goes on to describe the door he saw as about 104 inches high and 52 inches wide.

Lukas said...

That helps support a minotaur theory.

Anyhow, I continue opening the hole.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Steadily, Lukas reaches the point where the hole is fully opened, and large enough any to climb through comfortably.

Lukas said...

Lukas does his best to stealthily make his way into the room. Bringing the light he begins to look around.

Maximillian Boii said...

To Bert, I ask him to describe the motion of a clocks hands. (While we're working at the wall.)

After Bert replies, I follow Lukas.



Alexis Smolensk said...

"Around," says Bert.

Maximillian Boii said...

Sorry, I'm going to abandon the clock conversation with Bert. let's presume I interrupted myself to follow Lukas.

(I was trying to understand if he didn't understand time, based on some of his comments)

I will whisper to him, though, "Oh, and one more thing: We are here in hopes of treasure. So there are no hard feelings, I thought you should know that, when it comes time to divide it, Ahmet will get the first choice.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet follows.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: think about the phrase 'hard feelings,' Maximillian, and consider how that colloquialism, taken literally, makes very little sense. How can feelings be 'hard?' They're not tactile in any way. This is what is baffling the heck out of Bert)

He appears to consider Maximillian's last statement, and does not answer it.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The lantern in the room reveals that there is indeed a lot of sacks, shovels, picks, about 400 board feet of lumber and one massive bureau, that looks like it fell off a mountain.

Lukas said...

Lukas will try to quietly open the bureau and examine the contents, should it prove too noisy he will abandon the attempt.

Should the contents appear mundane he will assume they will search the storage after clearing the rest of the area and then gesture to Ahmet then the door.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet guards the door while Lukas examines the bureau.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The drawers of the bureau are stuck, and would make quite a lot of noise while they were forced open.

The door is massive, and a bit swelled in its stone/cobbled masonry frame. It will take some doing to open it quietly.

Maximillian Boii said...

(ooc, Sorry, I keep thinking I've published a comment, and then come back later to find it still sitting waiting. It's just that sort of day, or week.

Yes, I knew he wouldn't understand the hard feelings bit...)

I stand by Ahmet at the door, and on seeing Lukas' difficulty, wave him (and bert) over to us.

Andrej said...

Andrej casts bless, bestowing a +1 bonus to hit for Lukas and I and, if he is Catholic, the same and a +1 morale bonus for Bert. This lasts one hour.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Bert looks at the door doubtfully.

Andrej said...

Once that is done, assuming that it is, Andrej next casts Silence 15' radius just prior to our attempting to open the door.

:)

Ahmet said...

Are you doing your trick where you cast it on a small stone, Andrej?

Andrej said...

Actually I was going to go with sling bullet this time, since I have a few handy and should the need arise I can chuck it quite far this way... unless there's a sling-sized stone handy nearby, that is. Alexis?

Maximillian Boii said...

I feel left out with all this casting, so I cast Shillelagh (moving back outside of Andrej's range of silence, and then resuming my place by Ahmet.)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet casts... his gaze about the room, trying to decide what the minotaurs were doing with all this lumber. And didn't Bert say something about massive blocks of salt?

Lukas said...

Lukas casts no spells, he also hopes it's a thick door with nobody on the other side.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Lukas has produced many small stones from taking apart the stone wall, Andrej.

Yes, there are several blocks of salt, measuring in general about 18 inches in diameter.

Ahmet said...

Do they appear to be from here... like, is this a salt mine? or does it appear someone brought salt from somewhere else?

And what's in the sacks?

Alexis Smolensk said...

There's no indication that there is a salt mine, so the salt blocks seem to be stored in this place.

The larger majority of the sacks seem to contain a sort of compressed hay mixed with groats, the huskings of some sort of plant that is somewhat similar to the leavings from maize. Two sacks contain dried cement, and there is a sack of flaked limestone.

Ahmet said...

Does Ahmet know what flaked limestone would be used for?

Alexis Smolensk said...

It breaks down in cement when they're mixed together, making mortar.

Andrej said...

Once Ahemt's questions are answered Andrej casts silence upon one of the dislodged stones that is about sling-stone size. We then have 10 rounds to get through the door and do whatever is required on the other side that we may need silence for. I will be tied up until about 1:30 PM ET today.

Ahmet said...

One more question from me: Is the hay recognizable as some kind of building material, or is it more likely... bull food?

Maximillian Boii said...

And the salt for licks, perhaps...

Lukas said...

Yeah, might be a luxury item for cow people. I really don't know what they eat.

I wonder if we're essentially like the damn rats in the store room to these minotaurs.

Lukas said...

Anyhow, when everyone is ready I encourage Ahmet to open the door.

Ahmet said...

Everybody ready? Spell cast, Andrej?

If yes -- Ahmet opens the door.

James C. said...

Spell cast.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ahmet does not know what the hay is for.

Roll a d6, Ahmet.

Ahmet said...

D6: 1

James C. said...

Andrej shoves the silenced rock into his pouch and stands close to Ahmet ans thw door to hopefully disguise the noise of its opening.

Alexis Smolensk said...

That'll do it, Ahmet.

As the fighter drags on the door's handle, as it opens towards the party, he can feel the wood fighting him and inching out from the doorframe an iota at a time ... but it is certainly moving. It is silent, however, due to the cleric's spell. With the idea that Ahmet, however, would prefer not to throw the door wide open, he eases it bit by bit with his knee against the wall ... and just as he's a picture of effort, head down, pulling with corded arms, Maximillian and Lukas together can see a distinct line of light appearing between the door frame and the door.

Maximillian Boii said...

When it gets wide enough that I could possibly see around it, I tap Ahmet on the shoulder and motion to take a look, or to let me.

Andrej said...

Andrej sees Max and shakes his head "no". Pointing to Max and then to himself and and then to his own eyes with two fingers he indicate his preference that the fighter should continue moving the door while one of us pokes a head through to see what's what.

Ahmet said...

Max, you can take a look, in case Ahmet needs to pull the door closed again...

Maximillian Boii said...

Ok, I take a look, not putting my head through just yet, merely an eye to the crack.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The door's movement would be noticed by anyone on the other side by the time it is open enough to see through (the door is about 5 inches thick). I'm going to have to rule that this is what happens, due to the description ... but there is no one in the hall beyond.

The map is confirmed by the shape of the halls. There is a t-intersection, with the party at the right side of the top of the 't' ... the walls are made of stone and mortar, better built and shaped than those inside the new storeroom. The intersection is about 30 feet away. There is a door at the left side of the top of the 't' ... it is about 60 feet away.

There are three torches burning in sconces, suggesting there's a great deal of movement in the hall, and that these torches are replaced regularly.

At the intersection, and for quite an area around it, the masonry between the stones is stained a dark color, in an area about 20 feet in diameter.

Have I forgotten something?

Andrej said...

"At the intersection, and for quite an area around it, the masonry between the stones is stained a dark color, in an area about 20 feet in diameter."

This is on the floor/ ground, yes? Does it look like a blood stain?

How many rounds out of 10 are left on the silence spell?

Once the door is open wide enough for us to step through, Andrej does so. Once on the other side he waits to see that the others are all through, including Bert, then points to the hall at the top of the T-junction that leads ostensibly to the meal area.

Maximillian Boii said...

That's a good question...

Rather than try to convey all that by gestures, I lend my free hand to help pull open the door.

Maximillian Boii said...

I follow Andrej, letting Ahmet go before me.

How wide is the hallway?

Alexis Smolensk said...

The hall is 15 feet wide.

It does look like a large brown stain, and it is on the floor, the walls and in less succinct coverage, the ceiling too. More precisely, it is a compilation of many, many stains, but that is not necessarily important.

Ahmet said...

So the marching order is Andrej, Ahmet, Maximillian, Lukas, and... wherever Bert wants to be.

Lukas said...

Lukas tries to stay near someone in the rear. He ensures he has a dart handy.

He tries not to fall behind.

Formation setting time?

Ahmet said...

Wide enough I think we should be two abreast -- agreed?

Lukas said...

Agreed.

Ahmet - Andrej
Max - Lukas

Bert wherever?

Bert honestly could fit in any spot with it being 15ft wide.

Andrej said...

Agreed, once sorted out as per above Andrej moves toward the intersection urging the others to follow.

How many rounds left of the 10 round silence spell duration?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Bert has gone invisible.

Wide enough for you to walk THREE abreast.

Give Ahmet two rounds to open the door, one round to get set up for him to do it, call it one to sort yourselves into walking order ... 6 rounds left.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: I should have mentioned a bit of a slope in the new storeroom towards the door you've entered. Let's please consider that having been included, to allow the present 12' ceiling in the hall)

Andrej said...

Thanks for the clarifications Alexis.

Andrej is moving down the passage, hoping the others follow.

Maximillian Boii said...

Indeed, following in the second rank.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(obviously, you can only guess that Bert is still nearby ... heh heh)

As you come to the intersection, you can look around the corner - but I need confirmation that you do.

Andrej said...

Ahmet, being on the left side, is probably better positioned to look. If he defers, Andrej immediately steps over to the left side, leans against the wall and looks.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet leans against the wall and peeks around the corner.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ahmet can see a 60 foot hall similar to the one you're in, but sloping about 10 degrees away, and ending in a large black space as large as the hall, where the light ceases to be reflected. He guesses a cave, or a very large room perhaps.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet tries to use hand signals to relay what he saw, but he's never been too good at charades. He's apparently either describing a large room at the end of the hallway or a ravenous gelatinous cube advancing toward them.

Alexis Smolensk said...

That would be one big cube.

OOC: I'm putting up a separate post on this blog for discussion purposes, if anyone has the time to comment there, ask questions or make suggestions. I've only just posted that. We'll be continuing exploring on this thread for a bit yet)

Andrej said...

Andrej indicates his desire, via hand gestures, to turn the corner and approach the meal area. If all are willing he leads the way down.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet advances forward as well.

Maximillian Boii said...

I continue to follow.

Alexis Smolensk said...

It soon becomes clear that you're approaching a deep hole ... and the air is getting slightly warmer. At the edge, you look in. The ceiling of a cavern rises about 15 feet above you ... below you, the torch light fails to illuminate.

The visible walls are covered with more of the silk-like growth you saw earlier beyond where you fought the ankhkeg. There is a difference; these seems to have flowered stalks that reach out into the air on curly, hard vines that twist upwards from the downward growth of the plant stalks. The flowers are about an inch in diameter (the flower stalks similar to dandelion stalks in width and color), and these weave very slightly from air rising in the chamber.

In terms of the outside, you would guess you're about 100 feet south of the temple you crawled under to begin with (storerooms and this hall inclusive).

Alexis Smolensk said...

(keep thinking of details)

There are dozens of flowers per square foot, and a few thousand that you can see in the torchlight. They are blue in color, mixed with green striations and yellow spots.

Andrej said...

Interesting, but I recommend that we leave and come back later. Let's check out the front chamber.

Ahmet said...

Agreed. Remember, the map says "Guard" en route to that room...

Lukas said...

I grab one flower as we go.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The 'guard' on the map would be standing approximately at the intersection between the two hallways.

The flower stalk is tough, and is hard to break, but you get what you want, Lukas.

Maximillian Boii said...

The walls of the hole were vertical?

Yes, let's get back to that other door.

Andrej said...

Next post intersection?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes, let's continue on the next post. It has been added to the blog.

Maximillian Boii said...
This comment has been removed by the author.