Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Bug Hole

The party carefully descends into the bug hole, with Andrej in front. His infravision, separated from the torch, allows him a vague view of the tunnel perpetrated by the heat produced by the thin plant covering, lichen that is in fact too small to be seen. Andrej recognizes this effect, however, and realizes that if not for this spore-level life, it would be too cold for him to see at all. As it is, he can only barely discern the tunnel's shape. Slowly, from the torch light above, his light-detection faculties take over, and he can see a tunnel that slowly curves to the left and out of sight, some 30 feet away.

Presuming, if I may, that the party decides to continue forward for a minute, or five rounds, moving carefully, only 10 feet per round, they follow along the tunnel for fifty feet from the Old Storeroom. The tunnel descends slightly, and weaves in a gentle path away from where the river bottom of the valley would be, somewhere to the party's right (right and behind, as they follow the passage forward). The descent is between five and ten degrees at most. Andrej is forced to either light a torch or take the one from the back of the party, as his own shadow is blocking his clear vision of the way ahead.

I'll pause there, to let the party decide on further action.

33 comments:

Andrej said...

Not seeing the harm in having two torches, Andrej lights one of his own from the already lit torch, then passes the first torch back. He'll carry the torch in lieu of the mace, keeping his shield ready.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet suggests the marching order: Andrej, Ahmet, Lukas, with Maximillian bringing up the rear. (I'm presuming Max is marginally better in hand-to-hand than Lukas.)

Ahmet passes the torch back to Lukas, then follows Andrej, Dilmek and shield ready.

Lukas said...

I am good with continuing for now. We may want to consider our lighting plan for heading back.

I can use bluelight, but once I cast anything else bluelight will be gone.

Maximillian Boii said...

This does not seem it will take us to another part of the complex. I propose that we continue forward in this manner for perhaps another hundred feet, and then we can consider whether to turn back.

Ahmet said...

Applying Ahmet's knowledge of mining and underground construction...

Does this still appear to be "bug made", or does it appear to be another form of construction?

Is Ahmet confident of the tunnel's stability?

Alexis Smolensk said...

It is most definitely made by something natural and almost certainly not by humanoid hands. The hole shape and size is very consistent, and veers around larger stones rather than attempting to remove them. The soil is consistently clay.

Forward, as Maximillian suggests?

Ahmet said...

Lead on, Father.

Andrej said...

Andrej leads on.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Another hundred feet will take ten rounds. Given the pause in the hall to discuss further action, I'll count it as four minutes since leaving the old storeroom. That will cut the duration of the first torch to 9 minutes. I'll count the second torch as down to 17 minutes (remember, 5 rounds = 1 minute).

The tunnel continues to drift, now a bit back and forth, so that you're beginning to lose your sense of direction. There is a point where the tunnel drops about six feet in a fairly rapid slope, but apart from that it is gently downward. Another hundred feet, however, fails to produce any meaningful change to the size, shape or nature of the tunnel. I'd like the druid, however, to make a wisdom check.

Maximillian Boii said...

d20: 13
Wis: 17

Alexis Smolensk said...

The druid can detect the odor of something very faint that reminds him of the mown hay of the high country in his native Italy.

Maximillian Boii said...

hmm, that is out of place, but not immediately worrisome. We are probably nearing some sort of lair.

Would anyone like to make a case for or against continuing?

Andrej said...

Press forward?

Ahmet said...

Either a nest or an exit...

Yes, let's continue.

Maximillian Boii said...

Works for me. I'll continue to protect the rear.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Using the measurement of intending to travel 100 feet, the party moves for two more minutes further and finds a 'node' in the tunnel, a scratched-out circular space (the walls indicate scraping actions with a large 'tool') about 15 feet in diameter, with the bones of an uncertain number of animals scattered upon it (surely, no more than 5 or 6). The bones appear to be bovine in origin, given that there are three different cow-skulls and one half cow-skulls among the litter. The skulls are very small, however, much smaller than a cow's would be. These 'cows' couldn't possibly stand more than three feet at the shoulder.

Alexis Smolensk said...

There are two exits from the room, both similar to the one you left. There is definitely a cold feel to the air in the left tunnel. The right tunnel appears to climb upwards, at an angle of perhaps 30 degrees - the air seems more stale in the right tunnel also.

Andrej said...

I would recommend Lukas and Max, being perhaps the most learned of our troupe, investigate these bones while Andrej and Ahmet watch the front and rear respectively.

Ahmet, would you like to switch to the front now? I'm not getting much out of my infravision any way and I can still walk in the second spot and carry the torch.

Ahmet said...

Is the left tunnel apparently relatively flat, or does it climb upward/downward?

Ahmet said...

New marching order will be Ahmet, Andrej, Lukas, Maximillian.

Maximillian Boii said...

How about pelvises? I remember a time as a child when I wore a small cow's pelvis on my head as a mask.

Maximillian Boii said...

(ooc: like this

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes, there are some pelvises, but none of them are whole in one piece. They appear to have been broken apart; all the larger bones have been split in some fashion for the marrow within.

The left tunnel does continue the gentle slope downwards.

The second person cannot carry the torch; the front's body would still create a shadow that would make seeing ahead in the tunnel difficult. The front person must be a torchbearer.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Hm. No rangers, no thieves.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Could I get a d6 from everyone, please?

Ahmet said...

Ahmet: 3

Maximillian Boii said...

d6: 2

Andrej said...

d6:4

Ahmet, I'll leave it up to you whether you want the torch and the #1 spot or let me have both. I'm good either way and see benefits and drawbacks either way.

Ahmet said...

I'm OK up front with the torch.

Lukas said...

1d6: 3

Alexis Smolensk said...

And ... the party is attacked. Maximillian, who rolled a 2, is surprised. The highest roll was Andrej's, so I'll let him roll initiative for the party. Another d6 if you please, Andrej.

Post to follow tomorrow.

Andrej said...

d6: 5

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.