Wednesday, December 4, 2013

En Route to Amisos

Saturday, March 20, 1651, Evening
Weather: With clear skies and brisk temperatures, a light air and a prevailing wind.



The Petrel makes its way east along the Black Sea coast for five days, early on the third day, the mountains of Anatolia can be seen distantly upon the horizon, and the prevailing wind turns to the southeast, sweeping down off the mountains and bringing with it a cold, biting wind. A thin, splatting rain that keeps up for a few hours without even wetting the deck yet makes the 18th, that first day, unpleasant and unencouraging. Thence forward, cool days turn to brisk, and the nights turn chilly, making the ropes hard to manage and work upon the open deck a bitter chore.

With not but the bow sail up, the Petrel continues to make good time, as the pilot knows well the currents in these waters, and rides one that steers the ship steady on forty miles a day.

Deven, the Norwegian, chances to be alone in the mess with Ahmet, where they have both watched the Captain enter the kitchen for a hot coffee. Madam acknowledges you both, then returns topside ... and Deven says to Ahmet, "That is twice since Constantinople that I have watched your eyes closely follow the Captain." At that moment, Maximillian comes up from below and hears Deven add, "You have a story to tell about women, that is certain. You like them and you dislike them, is that not so?"

Maximillian will remember that Deven is the crewman who tried to strike him early in the voyage, and smashed his hand against the post next to the bunk. I think I can add that if Maximillian wishes to remain just out of sight, around the corner to the mess, that's possible, or he can indicate he enters the mess to get the same hit of coffee the Captain was lately wanting.

16 comments:

Maximillian Boii said...

Indeed, I stay out of sight.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet, lost in thought -- and ogling -- glowers at Deven's words. Then he leans back in his chair and gives a laugh. "As do all men, no? Women... the source, and the solution, to all our troubles."

Alexis Smolensk said...

"But one particular woman, nicht wahr? And I do not think it is the Captain." Deven pauses. "Forgive me; your party has been with the ship awhile now, and some of your friends have made a comment or two about you, and your hesitation to return back home."

Ahmet said...

Ahmet glares at Deven, then exits the mess without further comment.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Deven will wait until Ahmet is gone, then chuckle softly to himself ... but loud enough for Maximillian to hear.

Maximillian Boii said...

I continue to the mess for my coffee, then go abovedecks to watch the horizon for a bit.

I've fallen back into my usual shipboard rhythm, tending to the animals, then spending some time each day just watching the world go by. I dislike cold weather though, and have a susceptibility to colds, so on days when the drizzle lasts all day I tend to only go above when I can no longer stand being enclosed.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Having confirmed that Ahmet has no desire to unburden his angst, we'll continue forward towards Amisos.

I'm going to be a bit hung up tomorrow, but I'll get in with something as soon as I'm able.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Does angst burden count against encumbrance?)

Lukas said...

What was it again? Innui?

Right now Lukas is probably sampling various candies from Constantinople while reading books about exotic cultures.

I'm going to be set when this rule goes down. ;)

Oh BTW if you want some taffy or something I'm sure Lukas has some to spare...

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: meetings and other nonsense is dragging down my time; and I would very much like to hear from Andrej on Dietwiller's comments; if I get some time later, I believe I'll write a post, but I'm going to give another day to Andrej before landing the party in Amisos and starting Ahmet on his way home.

Lukas said...

I think an important thing about Lukas to remember is... Here's a guy who had no job prospects. He is suddenly wealthy and as such is seeking to pursue all the pleasures of life while he gets the chance. The fact they're travelling to exotic places sure helps.

Heck, it kind of makes sense he would have so many moments of clarity (leveling up) after seeing so many new things. Not too few of which are magical or strange.

Hrm... speaking of magical and strange. I need to add ghost ship to my list of to do. Or more specifically, to encounter...

Andrej said...

(OOC: Guys, sorry I've been scarce... my availability this week has been even less than I had thought. I wish I could say it was the California cun keeping me away, but it was 12-16 hour workdays and limited connectivity. I'm back to normal today, in the office, and can play some while catching up here. Next week should be good).

Alexis, I didn't comment overmuch on Detweiller's proposed location in the last post. It all makes perfect sense to me and he should proceed as he wishes. We'll catch up to him in Azov.

Andrej mostly returns to his typical routine on-board ship though has decided to augment this with the performance of a mass twice daily for the benefit of the party and the crew. His homilies will focus on the benefit of missionary work and bringing the light of Christ to new lands and people.

Andrej said...

(OOC: The typo above "cun" was supposed to be "sun". I provide this for clarity in the event those reading thought of something perhaps lower to the ground.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Good to hear from you, Andrej. I knew what was holding you up, and felt I did want to give you a chance to respond)

Dietweiller has a map of the coast line west of Azov, and will tell the Captain to let you off at the same place where he debarks. They will be inside Cumana, just west of the 'border' that country shares with Azov and the Don Cossacks, in the lands where the Torkastra dwell.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I'll get up a post today; give me about two hours.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Not that long, apparently. The next post is up.