Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Onto Pino's Saddle

As the day stretches, clouds begin to appear to the north and drift lazily across the sky, eventually bringing some relief from the sun in the early afternoon. The party grows hungry and sits to eat; Arkemis shares some figs, unleavened bread and a clear dipping sauce made of crushed limes and fennel that's sharp to the taste, yet unusually delicious to German palates.

In time you work your way down to the saddle, and find there to be cracks in the stone along the north side of the island, most often a foot or so wide but 10 or 20 feet deep, like dried pudding that has split on the surface. The south edge of the island (where the tilt in the plateau falls towards the sea) is all gravel and sand, held together with occasional scrub.

About a hundred yards ahead, you can see the top of a big olive tree, thirty feet wide ... but it appears to be growing from inside one of the cracks, for you can't see the trunk of the thing at all. The canopy is rich and full, however, unusual for the island, so you suspect there must be a water source for it.

As you close within 70 yards of it, the entire olive tree canopy gives a terrific shake. A large bird emerges from it, and you realize as it drops towards the south end of the island that it's an ordinary-sized vulture, not remotely large enough to shake the tree, just put out by the shake. The vulture soon reaches the water, hundreds of yards from you, and disappears as it becomes too small to see.

The tree seems untouched, but you're all wary. After another minute or so, it gives another terrific shake. It appears as though it is being struck with something, but you do not hear the sound of a blow.

148 comments:

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico draws his broadsword and tells Carlito to ready his bow. He gives Arkemis a questioning look.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(GCI: I answered your question about the sling, Neklan)

Arkemis looks worried and as confused as its possible to be.

Sofia Koleva said...

How far off the ground does the canopy begin? Put another way, I understand that we cannot see the trunk of the tree, but at 70 yards distance can we see any space between the ground and the lowest branches?

Neklan Krasna said...

Wow, I ready my sling and move back and to the right.

Neklan Krasna said...

Actually, instead of the previous action, I begin casting Phantasmal Figure.

Kismet Korkmaz said...

Kismet readies a hand axe in each hand and tries to move towards the fore of the group. (Mainly to avoid having to draw the second axe later and just having to switch hands with it.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

The bottom of the canopy of the tree just about rests right on the ground.

The tree shakes again and Arkemis drops behind a three foot boulder for cover, so as not to be seen.

Alexis Smolensk said...

*poof* the figure comes into being.

Neklan Krasna said...

I have the figure look similar to Arkemis in clothing and armament. the figure will walk carefully towards the tree, seeking cover where available, but not hiding.

_now_ I ready my sling.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico sheathes his sword and readies his bow... nocking an arrow and aiming at the tree, and tells Carlito to do likewise.

Alexis Smolensk said...

You see a large piece of root, about pretty thick and 12 feet long, pop up and onto the far side of what must be the crack.

Point in fact - you're at 70 yards. 42 hexes. Many of you have weapons that are just not going to throw that far.

Sofia Koleva said...

Sofia holds her glaive like a staff or walking stick and eyes the dwarf moving past her. She follows him. Should Kismet stop once at the party front, the monk smiles and winks at him, continuing to follow the phantasmal image forward. She will not move closer than 20 yards without word from me, though.

Kismet Korkmaz said...

Kismet will let the illusion get a healthy lead.

In fact, he will try and maintain an equidistant position between the party and the illusion just to make things complicated. But will not get closer than... oh 18 yards unless something happens to incite him to get closer.

I'm vaguely hoping that whatever is 8ft tall is one of the things I get an AC bonus against...

Enrico Guerriero said...

(OOC: What are the ranges for a short bow?)

Neklan Krasna said...

http://tao-of-dnd.wikispaces.com/Fighter%27s+Combat+Abilities

Alexis Smolensk said...

That's the right link.

Incidentally, Neklan, the range on your figure is 30' per level. You can't direct it beyond that range.

Neklan Krasna said...

Once Sophia and Kismet are about 12 yards in front of me, I begin moving forward as well, maintaining that distance. The figure moves to the limit of where I can see what's going on and pauses. (I.e. I can't see the presumed crack, so the figure will not try to enter it.)

Neklan Krasna said...

Oh, heh, so it does. In that case, I move to keep the figure within 30 feet of me, but do not pass kismet and Sophia, instead urging them on, telling them I'll use the figure to draw out whatever's in there.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico keeps pace with Neklan and orders Carlito to do the same -- Enrico on Neklan's right, Carlito on Neklan's left.

Kismet Korkmaz said...

Kismet keeps moving forwards...

Neklan Krasna said...

The figure moves to the crack, or to the edge of the tree's canopy, whichever comes first.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Neklan. Crack, 70 yards away. Figure. Limit in range of 30 feet per level.

The figure gets 6 hexes from you and stops.

Neklan Krasna said...

Sorry, I meant maintaining the formation that we all described, the figure does not advance beyond the crack or the canopy.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Kismet is about 60 yards from the crack when the large root comes out. He's about 55 yards away when he sees an enormous head appear, facing away, following by a pair of shoulders and arms. It's definitely humanoid, but devoid of any hair except on it's head ... about eight feet tall, perhaps nine.

There's something immediately odd about the appearance of the humanoid ... it's shoulders and hands, when you see them, appear to be covered with baby fat ...

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sorry, Neklan, I missed a bunch of comments there.

Presume the party is positioned in back of Kismet.

Neklan Krasna said...

OK. My figure continues to move about two hexes in front of kismet, and two to the right, so as not to be directly between him and the figure. I move appropriately so that the figure is 20 feet in front of me.

Neklan Krasna said...

(OOC: a baby cyclops??)

Alexis Smolensk said...

As it climbs out and stands full upright, it would appear to have the proportion body of an eight-to-ten year old boy.

It is wearing a tunic wrapped with cord, and there's a large sling shot, about a foot in diameter and two feet long, tucked into the back of the belt.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(GCI: Check for my answer, Kismet)

Enrico Guerriero said...

(OOC: I hope this little boy has learned to only pick on people his own size...)

Kismet Korkmaz said...

(OOC: Given the number of folks his size I presume no.)

Kismet will swap one of the axes out for a broadsword and look backwards for a sign from his companions on the next action to take.

Sofia Koleva said...

Can we see the creature's face yet?

Upon Kismet looking back to Sofia for a sign the monk nods and begins moving away from the fighter on an arc around the tree. That is, if Kismet and Sofia were formerly at 12 o'clock together and the big baby were emerging from the tree at the center of the clock, Sophia begins moving toward 3 o'clock.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico mutters, "Perhaps we should try talking to it... er... him?"

Neklan Krasna said...

Seeing this, I have my figure move to 9 o'clock. (I'll move if necessary to accommodate.)

Neklan Krasna said...

I'm game to try talking.

Kismet Korkmaz said...

Kismet will stand at the ready until the 'kid' does something.

Alexis Smolensk said...

You can't see the face yet. The 'boy' sits crosslegged in front of the root and starts working on it with a knife as big as Enrico's forearm.

Alexis Smolensk said...

9 o'clock of the boy, I presume.

Sofia Koleva said...

Me too, but should words fail us and a fight break out I think it better that we be spread out and try to use hit & run and/ or missile weapons against a single, large opponent.

Neklan Krasna said...

If no one objects to talking...

Alexis, Can I have the "figure" talk for me?

Neklan Krasna said...

Alexis, yes that's what I meant, 9:00 to the boy.

Sophia, I agree.

Sofia Koleva said...

Once Sofia is at 3 o'clock she looks for a place to hide or at least provide cover from that slingshot.

Kismet Korkmaz said...

I'm not sure if I get my bonus vs giants against child Cyclops...

If that is the case, and it comes to blows, this may not be horrible if I get in close.

Alexis, would their arms give the kid reach? Or could I tell from here?

Kismet Korkmaz said...

A Cyclops, provided it were an ally would be an amazing way to protect a docks.

That said, if we can't make friends it would be a horrific thing to let grow up into something meaner.

Neklan Krasna said...

Ok, assuming I can have the figure speak, he says "Hello there."

Meanwhile, I begin swinging my sling.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico shakes his head at Neklan and motions to stop swinging the sling. After all, the kid's sling is still on his belt.

(OOC: I'm imagining the scene in a Western where the villain says, "We just wanna talk!" as he cocks his pistol.)

Enrico Guerriero said...

I'm assuming after walking all this way Enrico and Carlito had to lower their bows, but if they haven't done so, Enrico does so now and tells Carlito to do the same. Enrico's bow is still at the ready, but no longer aimed at the tree.

Neklan Krasna said...

heh, true. I let my sling fall slack. The figure's sword is sheathed, and he holds his hands out to show that they are empty.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The figure cannot speak.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Neklan, you get far enough around that you can see the creature in almost profile; Sofia is finding a place opposite. I don't think an actual distance was specified, so I'm going to rule about 35 yards.

It's a cyclops. No question about it.

I believe Neklan has the book on cyclops? Take no actions without allowing me to comment on your answer to that question, please.

Neklan Krasna said...

Yes, it's an "Unusual" book, entitled "One-Eye."

(Damn, too bad I can't speak for the figure. Time ot learn ventriloquism.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

Your bonus applies to the cyclops, Kismet.

Neklan. Your figure is NOT a player character. It can only do what it states it can do in the rules. It appears as a combatant. It always appears to be ready to fight. It will always present that way. It cannot gesture, talk, speak, motion, or otherwise take action for which it was not created.

Sofia Koleva said...

Is Sofia able to find a place to hide or find cover at 3 o'clock?

Alexis Smolensk said...

I agree that ventriloquism would be a practical option.

Neklan remembers one very important thing about cyclops. They like the taste of human meat.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes, there's plenty over cover. And Sofia can also see that its a cyclops boy. She's in a slightly better position; it appears that the boy is whittling a quarterstaff.

Sofia Koleva said...

What are Sofia's odds of successfully moving to a 6 o'clock position from her current 3 o'clock one without being observed by the cyclops boy?

Enrico Guerriero said...

Anyone volunteering to be spokesperson?

Neklan Krasna said...

(OOC: Restrictions noted. That was not clear to me, especially given the discussion about it being created from phantasmal force. This is all fine, it's only a first-level spell.)

(Seperate OOC: I'm thinking talking is not an option...)

I simply have my figure continue to circle the boy, so that when he comes into view, he won't be facing directly towards the boy.

Sofia Koleva said...

Not me, Enrico. I'm looking to maneuver Sofia into as advantageous of a tactical position as I can manage and will from there hide and await the outcome of a parley.

How about the gnome?

Enrico Guerriero said...

You game, Neklan?

Neklan Krasna said...

My thought is to present the figure in as non-threatening a manner as possible, and judge the reaction from there. Hence, moving the figure into view, but facing a bit away from the cyclops, i.e. _not_ poised to charge at him.

Kismet Korkmaz said...

Yeah, I'm thinking 'not human' might be the best spokesperson. I mean, keep in mind, 'human meat'. I'm hoping that implies not dwarf or gnome meat.

Alexis Smolensk said...

How are you going to have your figure circle the boy, when the figure can't move farther than 30 feet from Neklan, and Neklan is 35 yards away?

Kismet Korkmaz said...

I'm about ready to just walk up and start talking to the thing. At least I'm the best armored non human. That said, my Cha is probably not the best for the maneuver.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"Creates the illusion of a willing and able humanoid with desired weapons and armor, who will appear to engage in combat like any other creature."

Why is this not clear?

How is this illusion - which is of a creature appearing to engage in combat, going to appear "non-threatening?"

What exactly is the issue here, Neklan?




Alexis Smolensk said...

Once you move the figure, which is a spell creating a threatening looking creature, in the hopes that something will fight it and not you while you cast spells, to its full range, it is FIVE YARDS closer to the boy than you are. That is still 30 yards.

The creature has no 'facing.' It is designed to face its opponent. It is designed to draw combat. Why is this not clear?

Neklan Krasna said...

(ooc, sorry, got pulled away from my desk.

The problem here is that I did not understand the spell. Bear with me, I understand now.)

I'll describe my movement in a moment, unless Kismet get's bored and says hi.

(If you want to know why I got confused: I got hung up on the part about having complete control, and took the combat actions as examples of what could be done, not the extent of the spell.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Okay, I understand now ... but 'complete control' refers to the thing as its defined in the first sentence of the spell description, not of something the spell isn't).

Alexis Smolensk said...

Okay, we got siderailed. Let me sum up.

Neklan and the figure are 35 yards away at the boy's 9 o'clock. Sofia is 35 yards away at the boy's 3 o'clock. The rest of the party - except Arkemis - are 50 yards away at the creature's 6 o'clock.

The creature is completely immersed in what its doing, and none of you are making enough noise to distract it (the whittling it is doing is making enough noise to conceal you).

Kismet Korkmaz said...

Kismet is going to make his way to 35 yards away so as not to be left out.

Neklan Krasna said...

OK, apologies for the extremely crude nature of this. You put me to shame, Alexis.

I used 10ft hexes for convenience. The red hex is the cyclops, and his arrow indicates the direction he's facing. The green hexes are the tree.

The letters indicate my understanding of each person's position before we move. Anyone feel free to correct me. So, as the figure moves into view, you are correct I have to move towards the cyclops to stay in range, and the figure is not much closer to the cyclops than I am.

I'll say that I am moving slowly and cautiously at this point, so if anyone wanted to do something before I have a chance to pull this off, they're free to.

Neklan Krasna said...

argh, I thought noone had commented while I drew that... Ignore it while I read what people said.
.

Neklan Krasna said...

Actually, it seems like the drawing is pretty close to where everyone is. the only thing I'd assert is that I am not next to his illusion, but back from it.

Unless anyone still wants to try the nonviolent approach, I'm going to move as described in the image.

Kismet Korkmaz said...

We aren't going for the non-violent approach?

Ah, then at this point we should just rush em.

We have two flanking and are lined up to go. My only concern at this point is getting stuck on the edge of the ridge or them running away on the one side we don't have covered.

If you want to try the non-violent approach and interact I have no problem harassing them verbally.

James C. said...

Sofia moves to 6 o'clock, waving to a companion to occupy 3 o'clock before she moves off.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico would still very much like to attempt to parley.

I think the phantasmal figure is occupying far too much of our attention and is dictating our strategy. Please have it stand a few feet in front of you, Neklan, and use it as a target dummy/shield.

Neklan, if you don't want to be the spokesman, I'll do it.

Sofia Koleva said...

I agree with Enrico. Somebody should step forward and parley (say, by 11am ET) just to move things along. I don't think it really matters all that much who does so at this point. I admit I don't have much hope for a fruitful discussion, but am willing to wait and try as long as you guys are still inclined that way.

Alexis Smolensk said...

YARDS ... not feet.

35 yards would mean TEN HEXES away, not 3.

Neklan is at the boy's NINE o'clock. That would mean the boy's left hand side. The boy is always sitting in the middle of the clock. Sofia would be on the boy's right hand side. So in the diagram, you have them reversed.

Sofia said she is moving to six o'clock, which is behind the boy. You have Sofia running in front of the boy.

None of this matters ... I had set for this to happen with the start of today, however far the party got.

You hear a voice shouting "PHILOS!!!" It is from quite far away, and you hear the shout without seeing the shouter. But a moment later something starts to emerge from the ground about 350 yards away.

The boy stops what he is doing and stands up, not changing his direction.

Neklan Krasna said...

Agreed Enrico, the figure gets us at most one hit anyway.

I move forward to about 35 ft, and the figure moves 5 feet behind me.

I call out "Hello there!"

Sofia Koleva said...

I'm guessing (hoping) that Neklan gets to take that one back.

Sofia hides.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes, I think so. Technically, he hasn't moved to 35 feet away, so he'd be moving when he'd hear the call.

The shout comes again, and a humanoid steps out into sight, apparently from the ground, about 15 feet tall. It's wearing a woven smock of some kind, but at this distance there isn't much more detail. It shouts "PHILOS!" again, louder now.

The boy answers, "YES MOM, COMING!"

Kismet Korkmaz said...

Kismet decides to get low at this point and has the nagging question answered at about the same time. This of coarse brings up yet another nagging question about a father, but we'll just work that one out as we go...

In other words, Kismet does his best rock impression in the nearest rock impression.

Neklan Krasna said...

wow, that was close. I draw my camouflaging cape closer to make me not stand out so much, and slowly sit. I don't think I can have my figure hide, so I dispel it.

15 feet, is that small for a cyclops?

Neklan Krasna said...

(OOC: I need to be productive today, so I'll be posting irregularly. Hopefully we live through the day. My current vote is to run away with my tail between my legs.)

Kismet Korkmaz said...

My current vote is to send the rogue to look at the spot the came from and THEN run away.

Neklan Krasna said...

I am up for doing some recon for sure. Let's see if we get away first ;)

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico crouches down to hide and, if Carlito hasn't already done so, motions at him to do the same.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The boy runs off to join his mother, deliberately leaving his stick/quarterstaff behind - this is evident, because he pauses for a moment, then quickly sticks it out of sight between two rocks before heading off.

As you watch, unobserved, the boy and the mother disappear back into the ground again.

Neklan Krasna said...

WHEW

So... I'll move toward the group and share what I know about cyclopes.

Kismet Korkmaz said...

I would like to know if it were specified human flesh because they DON'T like dwarf flesh with the same zeal, or if it is because the book was written by a human... or if they don't know.

Alexis Smolensk said...

That is the thing with books and authors; they're prejudiced, they're incomplete, they're inaccurate ...

Sofia Koleva said...

How far off is the spring from our current position?

What more does Neklan know about the underground nature of these things? Do they arise and descend into the ground magically? Via concealed cave entrances?

Kismet Korkmaz said...

I'm betting cave entrance. I'm betting we will know a lot more after scouting it out. With whoever has the best scouting sneaky skills.

That said, maybe some observation could teach us something that says they CAN be friendly... without having to talk first. I mean the fact his mother wouldn't have liked the quarterstaff is an interesting note.

Alexis Smolensk said...

What Kismet said regarding magical appearance.

You're about a mile from the boat.

Sofia Koleva said...

Do we know how far we are from the spring on the map? I recall there being a large tree just above the spring, can we spot it from here?

Neklan Krasna said...

So Sophia or I are the sneakiest. I'm guessing I'm sneakier, even if Sophia's level 2.

If the party wants me to go investigate, I will, and the rest of you can hide out until I get back.

Approximately how far away was the mother?

Sofia Koleva said...

Sneaky is as sneaky does. I will not sit idly by while the gnome has all of the fun. :)

I leave the glaive behind and quietly approach the olive tree where we spotted the cyclopean youth, attempting to use what cover there is to best advantage while approaching.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The boat, the tree and the spring are all in the same place.

The mother emerged about 350 yards, 1,050 feet, about a fifth of a mile away.

The olive tree is growing out of a crack that is about 30 feet deep and 8 feet wide (at the top), about 70 feet long, with - it appears - a flat floor about six feet in width.

Do you need an image?

Sofia Koleva said...

I think I've got it now.

Presuming Sofia is now close enough to have observed the description of the crack above she peers down into it. Is the floor one of dirt? sand? stone? hardwood? ceramic tile?

Neklan Krasna said...

While Sophia's investigating this, I tell the others I'm investigating up slope. I move about 250 yards up slope in the general direction of where the mother appeared, seeking cover where available and not making undue noise. I also keep my cape drawn around me to cover my white clothing.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The crack's floor is packed clay.

Don't forget the stealth ability, Neklan, that allows you to approach anything without drawing its attention (point in fact, your figure wouldn't have had this stealth ability). Remember that if you are going stealth, that at a distance farther than your worst possible roll, you can't be 'heard' (though there are qualifications to this you could read if I ever got off my ass and posted them).

Alexis Smolensk said...

There's no sign of Arkemis.

Neklan Krasna said...

gotcha, I've got the stealth window open as well ;) I chose that distance to take another sight before I chose my next action. If it wasn't clear, I am being stealthy.

Neklan Krasna said...

Can I see any sign of a cave entrance or large crack? My next action is to move to approximately 100 feet from said cave entrance(30 hexes), or to a point where I can see the cave entrance, whichever is nearer to the cave. There I cast Change Self to give me more cover by reducing my size to 50% and changing my clothing to blend in.

Sofia Koleva said...

Sofia is likewise being stealthy. She's also climbing down into the crack.

Perhaps one of the others should see about Arkemis?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Neklan,

As you appear to shorten in height, you continue to have the perspective you possess because that is an illusion; you can see approximately at 60 hexes (five-feet per hex) hence a very large crack, at least fifty yards long, but with edges that make it difficult to see the whole crack at once. It may be that you're on the higher side of two edges. You move up to 100 feet, as you said, or 20 hexes, and make out much of the top of the crack. There's nothing in the way of guard or lookout.

Your thieving skill hear noise detects no sound coming from the hole. I'm going to post something on hear noise before tomorrow's running, but for now let me say that if there were even one person speaking normally near the edge of the hole, you would be able to hear it.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sofia,

As you drop down to the floor, you get a terrific surprise. There is a sort of 'hut-like' shelter at the bottom of the crack, like a pot hole rushing water would make, but dried out ... and in it is stuffed the sort of things a boy would keep in a clubhouse. There's a deer's head, dried, a lantern about the size of Sofia's body, some rough tools (too large to use), a blanket that may have been a ship's sail, a pile that seems to be a fishing net, a boat's steering wheel, a small pile of rather smooth, pretty rocks, most fist-sized but nothing valuable, and finally a bag that has about ten pounds of hard bread loaf in it, though probably still edible.

The walls inside this pothole have been scratched on and are covered with badly-drawn pictures of humanoids, boats, deer and apparently a self rendering of the boy himself, holding a much smaller humanoid body that has no head, colored with brown berry juice.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: how messed up is that?)

Enrico Guerriero said...

Assuming Arkemis is returning to the boat, Enrico and Carlito head in that direction, calling after him.

Neklan Krasna said...

Cool!

I move up to the edge of the crack and look down.

Sofia Koleva said...

(OOC: Pretty messed up)

Does the description above represent the fruits of a thorough search or a cursory examination? If it is only the latter, then I embark upon the former.

Kismet Korkmaz said...

(OOC: Englishman bone bread?)

Kismet will ask the companions on top if they have rope and prepare to lower some if necessary to get Sofia out.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Let me hold off on that Neklan (you don't see anything, but you might hear)

Sofia, everything is as it proports to be. The bread seems to have been made of grains, but you have no idea where they would have come from. Call it a thorough search.

Neklan Krasna said...

Yeah, no problem.

(OOC: I previously thought there was no chance of communicating with the boy. Now, seeing the fort, I have had a change of heart. It would take some work, but I think it could be done. I don't really want to put in the time to do it myself, but if anyone else is inspired, I'll help out as I can.

Neklan Krasna said...

and by It, I meant befriend. There's always the chance it wouldn't work, of course)

Kismet Korkmaz said...

I figured we could communicate the second he said 'yes mom'. That said, I still have some doubts on the results NOT being someone dying at some point or another.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Neklan,

You look over the edge into a very deep hole, perhaps 90, a hundred feet. From this particular place, you don't see any place you could rest within your no-fault climb ability. There's no sound except the air moving, but you can just barely smell a whiff of campfire. No sign of any smoke though, meaning that it has dissipated long before reaching the top of the crack.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Please take note, Sofia and Neklan, I have posted something about Hear Noise on the main blog)

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico and Carlito have any luck finding Arkemis?

Neklan Krasna said...

Is there any sign of how the boy entered? i.e. is there a slope down at one end of the crack?

I'm imagining a vertical vent, is that accurate?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Definitely vertical.

Neklan, can you please roll a d4.

Neklan Krasna said...

d4: 3

Alexis Smolensk said...

Arkemis gets to within 15' of Neklan before the thief sees him. He's keeping low. He hisses at you, just loud enough to hear, "What do you see?"

Neklan Krasna said...

(ooc: that's a surprise!)

I hiss back "Nothing, I can't see where the entrance is.
I'm going to check over there (gesturing one way), you check over there? (gesturing the other)"

The two directions are where I guess entrances might be.

Neklan Krasna said...

I choose the most likely one, or failing that the downslope drection.

Alexis Smolensk said...

At that point, Neklan hears the voice of his master, saying,

"The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it."

Arkemis says,

"You're not going down there?"

Neklan Krasna said...

Heh, but that's why I'm no longer his apprentice... point taken though.

I hiss back "No Way. Are you?"

Maybe I'm not understanding the lay of the land... This crack must be quite long and wide, and I assumed I couldn't see either end of the crack. I wanted to scout out where the cyclopes might emerge from, so that we'd have that for future reference.

How many rounds has it been since I cast my spell? I'd guessed about 6.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I described the length of the crack. I presume that if you can determine the length of the crack, you can see both ends.

You were sixty hexes away when you cast change self. You were stealthy, so your move was 4 hexes a round ... that's 15 rounds just to get to the edge, call it another four while you investigate. 19 all together.

Neklan Krasna said...

Oh! I thought you described the depth.

In that case, assuming that one end or another of the crack would serve as an entrance for the cyclopes, I am ready to get the hell out!

Alexis Smolensk said...

The cyclops has a much longer reach than you, so assuming the boy is 8 feet high, without thieving abilities his no-fault ability is 1.6 ft per point of dexterity ... probably 16 feet. That might offer five or six places along the whole edge of the crack.

Neklan Krasna said...

Oh, I see now, I'd forgotten the other post. Yes, definitely ready to leave.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Neklan,

I am going to have to ask at this point that you read my posts more carefully. Quote,

"As you appear to shorten in height, you continue to have the perspective you possess because that is an illusion; you can see approximately at 60 hexes (five-feet per hex) hence a very large crack, AT LEAST FIFTY YARDS LONG, but with edges that make it difficult to see the whole crack at once. It may be that you're on the higher side of two edges. You move up to 100 feet, as you said, or 20 hexes, and make out much of the top of the crack. There's nothing in the way of guard or lookout."

Alexis Smolensk said...

Come noon I'm going to have to call the day; I have a couple of meetings and two things I must do before being free for the weekend.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico and Carlito continue searching for Arkemis until they reach a point where they can see the boat dragged up on shore.

If the boat is still there, but Arkemis is not in evidence, they turn around and head back, still looking for him.

Neklan Krasna said...

Yes, that's completely my fault for not going back far enough this morning.

I move back to join the rest of the party, and relay what I'd seen, motioning for Arkemis to come with me. I move stealthily until I get to the tree.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Okay, let's reunite at the tree.

I'll pick up a post from there on Monday - do you wish to stay on the island?

Enrico Guerriero said...

Enrico suggests they return home to discuss what to do next.

Kismet Korkmaz said...

That does appear to be a fair amount of exploring for the day... though it does bear interesting fruit...

James C. said...

Sure, let's head back... but how about we take the long way back, circling Pino in a clockwise fashion and maybe check out that tiny island off the southeast shore before we move on?

Neklan Krasna said...

Sounds good to me.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Agreed.

Alexis Smolensk said...

You feel you have a pretty good handle on the east end of Pino, and Arkemis lets you off for a half hour on the small island off the southeast shore - Glaronisia, it's called. It is little more than a gravel bank, rising just barely 40 feet above the sea - 3000 feet long and 800 feet wide.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Shall we agree to start the next day in Koufonisia?

Sofia Koleva said...

That works for me. Let us plan to survey western Pino and possibly Skhoinousa on our next trip.

Sofia deducts 33 c.p. for Arkemis. That was the correct amount, yes?

Neklan Krasna said...

That works for me as well. I make sure to commend Arkemis for his unexpected bravery.

Do we (including Arkemis) know if Karos is inhabited (by people?)

Kismet Korkmaz said...

All for leaping to the next day.

If we have a gap, I think Kismet would like to have his own hovel to retreat to should Lukas appear.

Enrico Guerriero said...

Yes, next day on Koufonisia.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.

(OOC: I'm still going to always find mondays and tuesdays to be the busiest times. I'll poke in when I can. I did some work on the weekend making the necessary maps for the other party's foray into Anatolia, and I'll be interested to run that soon)