Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Yawl's Tale

The Captain speaks to the crew of the yawl having secured that boat to the Petrel:

"Count your vessel, your wealth and your LIVES in my hands, for I'll kill any man who dares lift a hand against my will. I am the Lady Ramona Salvador of the Southern Netherlands, and I am the Captain of the Petrel - who here speaks for my new boat and my new crew?"

One Turk climbs up upon the small boat house in the centre of the yawl. "I am Irik al-Harim Hassan, and I am the Captain of the Hizli Kosucu."

"You were the captain," says Madam Salvador.

"We are on a mission of mercy," says Irik. "We have nothing aboard but grain and fresh water, bound for the starving island of Mikonos to the west. You can have the coin aboard, you can have our few weapons, you can seize whatever you like but this boat, it's sails and the life saving food aboard. I'll sink this boat before I give up our mission!"

"I own this boat," says the Captain. "If it pursues a mission, it'll be on my say-so. Jacobo ... Anders! Go aboard. Search the yawl, find out for sure what they're carrying. And if he wishes -" She points at Ahmet; "He can go with you."

At about this time, the rowboat with four boys and the very large, very short man, with bump against the far side of the yawl's stern, unseen at the moment by anyone except the party (it goes out of sight for a moment as it reaches the yawl, for those who have been watching).

94 comments:

Maximillian said...

When the captain appears to be completely done speaking, I call out.

"Master Hassan, who is yonder man in the rowboat who is in such a hurry to get aboard?"

Alexis Smolensk said...

Irik looks somewhat embarrassed and fails to answer.

Maximillian said...

"Madam Salvadore, may we go and greet our visitor?"

Ahmet said...

Ahmet barks at Enrico, Tazio, and Carlito: "Watch those in the rowboat!"

Then he joins Jacobo and Anders in swinging over to the yawl.

Lukas said...

Lukas bites his lip and seems a bit more agitated as each party member either speaks out of turn or gives orders...

He remembers something about when such an operation occurs that the captain is in charge.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The Captain snarls at Maximillian.

"Keep your damn place, passenger - I'm Master of this boat."

Alexis Smolensk said...

The party can hear someone climbing aboard the yawl - none of the crew moves, eyeing carefully the bows of Ahmet's men and four heavy crossbows beside that have been trained by the Petrel's crew.

Ahmet, Jacobo offers the open hatch to the hold, as if to ask if you'd like to go first.

Anders begins shaking down the men one at a time - most are not wearing pockets, but two begin to pull chains over their heads and hand them to the gruff crewman.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet draws his scimitar and enters the hold.

Maximillian said...

And I keep my mouth shut.

Ahmet said...

(Incredibly bad timing, but I'm going to be gone for the next few hours.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: nothing personal Maximillian; there's tension all over the two ships. The Captain is in fact more worried that one of her own crew will get itchy, or that one of the other crew will do something stupid or rushed, and in a few seconds you'll be in a combat that is sure to get everyone on the yawl dead - she's trying to avoid that)

Alexis Smolensk said...

That'll be fine, Ahmet. There's nothing below decks except the cook, who very wisely moves away from the hatchet buried in the galley counter that he uses for meat, and one helluva lot of bags of grain.

Strangely, the hold is not full. The cargo is perhaps 12 tons in all, Jacobo remarks ... including fifty pottery jugs full of water, just as said. It is February - perhaps it is all the grain that could be found.

Maximillian said...

(I understand. I'm not certain if max does, but he was trying to avoid such a confrontation by preventing surprise, and by having the man greeted by someone other than a pirate. Heh, quick wisdom check: 20 he does not, and just smarts from having his exuberance smacked down.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

Huffing and puffing, the fat man climbs up onto the deck of the Hizli and shouts, "Stop, stop this!"

The Captain answers, "Who are you. What is your business here?"

"I am ..." he stops, gasping for air. "Parvenicus Poppazoukalou ... and I am ... " *puff* *puff* "I am the Prince-delegated ..." *puff* *puff* "magistrate of Greater Koufonisia and the Environs under the administration ..." *puff* *puff* "Of the Republic of Venice in ... the Aegean." *wheeze*

He draws himself up to his full height of 5 foot five:
"And I demand this piratical action cease forthwith!"

Alexis Smolensk said...

This is followed by the crew laughing. Even the Captain's visage changes to a lighthearted smile.

She turns to Maximillian. "My error. This is your problem. You, you and you!" she points. "Round the crew up on the bow. Get it done."

The crew move to follow her orders. The Magistrate, red in the face, too exhausted to do anything, leans over and puts his hands on his knees - though he is clearly angry that he hasn't been heard.

Andrej said...

Andrej hangs back, most comfortable in the role of passenger at this point. It is his custom to wear his priest's garb when not in armor so he would be recognizable as a Catholic friar. He casts warning looks to both Maximillian and Lukas should they meet his gaze.

Sofia will also hang back.

Maximillian said...

(ooc: well shit.)

I turn to Andrej and Lukas. Well? Let's try to salvage something. Any ideas how?

Andrej said...

Andrej whispers back to Max, "For now I think we continue to behave as bystanders as best we can."

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Give me some feedback; I can't see your faces. If the Captain seizes the grain and people die in Mikonos, which is Ottoman, that will surely come back on the party; on the other hand, you gave your permission to the Captain ... and she's clearly indicated that the local Magistrate is the party's problem - or at least I tried to clearly indicate it)

Andrej said...

(OOC: I wasn't certain yet that the captain was seizing the grain. I was hoping she'd leave it and take whatever other valuables were aboard and we could play down our role in things as best we could. Should the captain move to take the grain we could discretely offer to buy it instead. 12 tons would retail in Hanya for about 460 GP. Maybe she'd give us the wholesale rate ;)

One thing I don't suggest we do is challenge the captain openly.

Maximillian said...

On Andrej's recommendation, I take no action and don't give any further indication that I am associated with andrej or Lukas at this time.

(OOC: Alexis, I am at this point waiting to be "allowed" to act. I realize that I can act without permission, but I also sense the tension, and don't want to trigger anything right now.

I am very anxious that we as a party don't get on Poppazoukalou's bad side. I suspect that he can be bought if need be, but if we can act decisively now to right his impressions of us, the price should be lower.

Like Andrej, I have not identified any opportunity to alter the course of things at this point, but I believe we would take such an opportunity now that we have more info.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: I'm not so sure on Poppazoukalou being bought. Anybody that would nearly kill themselves (and still might) rowing out to stop the pirate seizure of a mercy mission is a man of principles. Of course, the yawl may hold more than just grain...)

Andrej decides now to speak up to the captain, as she has already indicated the magistrate is our problem. I wasn't clear if he was being moved to the bow of the Petrel or the bow of the yawl. In either event it is Andrej asks leave totalk to the man face to face either waiting for him or getting permission to swing over to the yawl.

Maximillian said...

(yeah, andrej, I'm thinking there may be more to their mission as well.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

Poppazoukalou isn't being moved with the others - the Captain seems to think he isn't her problem.

"By all means, Father." She says the next loud enough for Poppazoukalou to hear: "I have a natural hatred for local officials, and I might kill him out of habit."

Ahmet climbs out of the hold and announces there nothing but grain and water below.

"YES!" shouts Pappazoukalou. "They came here for nothing but fresh water!"

Andrej said...

Andrej casts know intent and swings over to the yawl.

Andrej said...

Sofia follows Andrej.

Maximillian said...

(OOC: Oh, I thought I said this, but apparently edited it out. I hope that we can use nationalism as a bit of an excuse: "We saw an ottoman ship, and just assumed..." etc.)
not that we are any of us Venetians, but the land is at least currently Venetian.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

With whom do you want to start, Andrej? The Captain and most of those present tighten as soon as you begin to cast, but make no move to stop you.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: interesting; re-reading the spell, if you don't need to be concentrating to keep it going, just busy - can a Cleric give a +4 Armor Class to participants in a battle by shouting, "Maximillian, that left head is going to attack you!" ... ?)

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Or have I conveniently outed myself by saying that you learn of the attack, but not who they will attack? I think I have. But now I like the idea - does keep the cleric from doing anything else for ten rounds - I may rewrite the spell)

Andrej said...

Once aboard the yawl, Andrej begins concentrating upon the magistrate.

Sophia addresses him directly, "It is not our wish to hinder your mercy. Will you be forthright in answering questions?"

Alexis Smolensk said...

The Magistrate intends to stop any combat from taking place, and to plead the innocence of the yawl's crew.

Andrej said...

(OOC: I took from it a cleric would learn the intent to attack but not the method or target... but the other way sounds even better should the combat benefits be worth the cleric being tied up.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"I have no reason to give mercy," says the Magistrate. "We are all friends here! There's nothing to plunder, the Hizli must be on it's way and no hard feelings!"

Andrej said...

Sofia "If there was something of greater monetary value upon this yawl than just the grain or water, we would seek to know it. Would you keep it from us?"

Andrej continues concentrating upon the magistrate.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: you took the spell as is, Andrej - I trust you're satisfied with it. Let me see how it plays over a bit more gaming; you've had little reason to make use of it)

Alexis Smolensk said...

"What?" asks Poppazoukalou. "No!"

The Magistrate's intent won't change; Andrej's free to move onto the next person.

Andrej said...

Andrej concentrates on the yawl captain, then each of Anders and Jacobo. How far away is Salvadore from Andrej?

Lukas said...

As a side note, I'm all for the paying for the grain should the captain wish to take it. Should she not however...

Maximillian said...

(ooc: Alexis, for GCI, would that spell allow you to know if someone 'intended' to lie?)

Alexis Smolensk said...

(GCI: Yes, I'd have to answer it as, "Poppazoukalou intends to deceive the captain and everyone else about the yawl and it's crew ..." Deception is a verb.

Maximillian said...

(Thanks. Also, for curiosity's sake, how would you handle it if a non-player cast the spell on me right now? you know my general intention, but no actions.)

Lukas said...

(OOC: I would guess he would interpret likely action. It is only based on what you intend to do, and until we post that we intend to do something our characters might as well not intend to do it.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

2nd Round: The yawl captain intends to listen and hold fast, or to leap very hard onto the top of the boathouse to his left and crash through into the hold (that may be a little bit more than the spell strictly is supposed to say, but I'm playing with it generously).

Madam Salvador, meanwhile, calls over her first mate (call him Trey) to speak quietly with him.

3rd Round: Jacobo intends to follow the orders of his Captain, whatever that may be, and intends to watch the largest of the yawl's crew particularly, at the bow of the boat.

4th Round: Anders has collected all the things of value; he intends to palm one of the chains of lower value, and turn over the majority of the gain to the Captain.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: I could ask you your intention in a side note, Maximillian, then demand you stick to it)

Lukas said...

(OOC: With the degree of interpolation involved in post based interaction it's just easier to ensure your intent is known in the first place. It makes it easier for Alexis to keep from screwing our own intents over.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

The last in-campaign statement was in reference to the rounds 2, 3 and 4 of the know intent spell. I'm going to delete all comments since then (including this one later on). I've put up a new post for General Campaign Information.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: I misunderstood what you were having a problem with, Lukas; I think I get it now ... but the change is made, I'll leave your last comment (11:16) up and retain the new policy regardless)

Lukas said...

(OOC: This is also a good thing, will make threads easier to navigate. The other problem is not likely to be resolved.)

Maximillian said...

I'm going to let Andrej finish his spell and the captain declare her intent before I make any further actions.

Lukas said...

Lukas is prepared on crowd control, but is waiting on the captain or Andrej to call shots.

Andrej said...

Andrej's spell can reach 50'. Is it enough to read the captain's intent?

Alexis Smolensk said...

(I thought you might ask if it is evident who you're checking, friend cleric ... but guessing you already the answer is no)

The Captain intends to let the yawl go, as soon as she can determine how to save face.

(Please, let's play this with the understanding that only Andrej knows that - so do not play your character as though this information is evident, or I may have to 'accidentally' have a crossbow randomly fire with dire consequences ... heh heh heh)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'm back.)

If the cook is still in the hold, unsupervised, Ahmet drives him out to be held with the rest of the crew.

Ahmet pokes around in a few random bags and jugs to ensure the contains are indeed grain and water and nothing more.

How big is a typical bag, how big is a typical jug?

Alexis Smolensk said...

See, jugs, bags, that would be the kind of question for the other post; but I'm guessing Ahmet hasn't seen that yet.

The cook allows himself to be pushed, but - unsatisfied - he demands to know why another Turk would be serving the Pale Ones.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Noted, Alexis)

Andej nods to the magistrate and captain, attempting a countenance of discrete assurance toward each man.

Andrej moves to re-board the Petrel and approach the captain. Should he make it that far he will indicate that he wishes to speak privately with her.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'm asking about these bags and jugs specifically. Can Ahmet haul one out himself?)

"I serve no one, pale or otherwise," he hisses at the cook.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The Captain is still discussing things with Trey.

Ah, Ahmet, I hadn't realized. Apologies all around. The pottery jugs of water are about 15 gallons each, so around 150 lbs ... the sacks of grain are about 80 lbs. each.

Ahmet doesn't find anything else significant below except some meat, wine, and a basket of hard tack, figs, beat-up oranges and onions.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet exits the hold.

Andrej said...

Andrej awaits the captain's attention, indicating via body language that he wishes to have it, though he doesn't behave in an impatient manner.

Sofia remains aboard the yawl with Ahmet.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"Yes Father?" Asks the Captain at once.

Andrej said...

"May we speak privately?"

Andrej said...

Privately or not Andrej will continue, "I do not wish for your hold nor your thoughts to be encumbered with so much grain. Allow me to purchase it from you. If Ahmet's counting be right there must be 300 sacks in the yawl's hold (12 tons in 80 lb. sacks). I propose to pay you a gold piece per sack, only a silver less than what it could sell for in Hanya, should you even find a buyer for so much of it. In this manner the needs of captain and crew are satisfied immediately and we may resume the intent of my party's mission. I only stipulate that you also allow the yawl and her crew to go free, as I've no use for the grain myself and only seek expedience given current circumstances."

Alexis Smolensk said...

She sends Trey (Trevelyn, I suppose) off, and leans in close. "Speak, we are private enough here."

Andrej said...

Andrej speaks as per above.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: I was somewhat waylaid)

"Purchase so much grain so you can give it to Mikonos?" says the Captain with a grin. "I very much doubt, Father, that you wish to incur the wrath of either the Ottomans or the Magistrate by having it loaded on your island, or aboard my ship ... where I could expect to make a much better price in Mikonos than Hanya."

She looks seriously into Andrej's eyes, and claps her hands on his shoulders. "I am in need of neither coin nor consideration, and I have very nearly broken my ship on the rocks in my anxiousness for adventure. I think that my not looking the fool today is too much to ask, and we both have more pressing appointments elsewhere, do we not?"

Andrej said...

Andrej smiles, somewhat apologetically. "Yes" he says, as a response to everything, briefly clasping the shoulder of the Petrel's master in return. Turning, he affixes a brief but encouraging look upon Maximillian and Lukas, then approaches the gunwhale near the bow to peer down into the yawl, assuming a relaxed air.

Sofia observes her master and likewise relaxes, handing her water skin to the magistrate and encouraging him to take a deep pull, "I think all will be well, master Poppazoukalou."

Alexis Smolensk said...

Treveyln, with no more than a look from the captain, shouts to let the Yawl go. There's some protest, while Treveyln shouts the crew down, threatens them, puts a hand on the sword on his hip and the crew gets moving without further word.

Captain Hassan of the yawl recognizes what's happened, and bows towards Captain Salvador, touching his forehead and his chest in salute. Madam does not acknowledge it and turns away.

The Magistrate Poppazoukalou looks from one to the other and seems perplexed as to what to do and what to say. Ahmet is still aboard the yawl ... I suppose that with Anders and Jacobo, he makes his way to the Petrel.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet does so.

Andrej said...

Sofia likewise makes her way back to the Petrel.

Lukas said...

Lukas will relax and maintain his 'not in the way'ness.

Maximillian said...

likewise. I move to Andrej and motion the rest of the party to join us and confer.

I am concerned that we may have engendered some ill will among the crew, who may conclude that we stood in the way of their share.

You three also could stand to repair the damage done to your reputation here.

I don't know that there is much if anything we can do about the first problem, without a stroke of luck. I'm wondering if we should release the ship, to pick us back up in, say, 10 day's time. I know the captain would be upset by delay (The men at arms should come with us, just to get them off the ship as well.)

What do you think? Should we instead continue on as quickly as possible?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Not sure what to do with himself, Poppazoukalou begins to descend to his little boat ... and as the yawl begins to draw its sails again, the Magistrate looks up at the Petrel. "AHOY!" he shouts.

The Captain signals the party that they should answer him, that it's nothing she cares about.

Lukas said...

Lukas will call to the Magistrate, "We shall meet on land master Magistrate and speak on important things! Do not strain yourself now!"

Then returns to his milling about.

Maximillian said...

Should we go in his boat (for the meeting)? Or should we borrow the ship's boat?

We can decide about the the other matter later.

Lukas said...

I believe the Petrel is just going to dock...

Maximillian said...

Oh, heh, I assumed there was no dock... Carry on then.

Lukas said...

If there isn't let's just deal with him later and approach this in an orderly fashion at the captain's pace.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The Captain intends to bring the ship into the harbour and put off the ship's boat there. It will seat ten, and she plans to put half her crew ashore, whether the island likes it or not (she perceives the island has nothing to say about it, as she understands the party are the owners).

We can presume the party can be put off as they desire; and Poppazoukalou, chagrined, orders his boys to make it back to shore.

(OOC: I hate to do this, particularly to Maximillian, who will be compensated by having a great vacation we hope, but I'm in the thick of it and not likely to get back to posting today. I will need to start a new post, and those often take some design - more than I have time for right now)

Maximillian said...

(OOC: That's OK, I have a lot I should be doing to get ready to leave...)

I would like to know what the party thinks about plans though.

Lukas said...

Meet with the Magistrate is on my list, as is asking the party if funding a party for our arrival would be a good way to salvage some relations.

Andrej said...

To Alexis, no worries.

To Max, ill will among the crew is what it is. The two crew members Andrej knew intent upon both had obeying the captain in the front of their thoughts. That's encouraging. The best way to handle these guys is probably to take her example... show no weakness, make no apologies. She seems to have a pretty firm grip.

As for our reputations upon Kofunisia... not an ideal introduction, I grant you, but the mercy mission went on its way so while feathers might be ruffled no harm was really done.

As for the ship... we really have less control here than you you seem to imply. She's in a port, she's putting in. We're passengers. It's not like we've bought the ship and crew. The ship may even need repairs at this point for all we know.

My advice would be for us to put ashore and go about our business behaving like we belong here. We are the landlords, after-all.

Andrej said...

A party might be nice, especially if the magistrate gets to preside over it and strut about some. It seems his ego was a bit wounded in playing a secondary role upon the yawl and being put off by the party. We might need to fluff that ego a bit there. But not too much, mind you. Again, we are landowners here and not itinerant rogues.

Lukas said...

(OOC: 'Everybody loves the landlord...' Was watching Les Miserables last night...)

Maximillian said...

A party is an interesting idea. a good way of showing good will, perhaps.

I think ultimately you're right about how to deal with the crew, Andrej, I guess I was overthinking things.

Lukas said...

I would suggest bringing the captain in on planning the party if we intend to invite the sailors. I don't want to have issues.

Maximillian said...

Speaking of which, those sailors put ashore could also be a source of chaos...

Lukas said...

Nah, I'm sure after being stuck on a ship for weeks they'll be perfect gentlemen and go around helping the locals. That said, I don't think there's much we can do about it without having to choose between the pirates and the locals.

James C. said...

I think under no circumstances whatsoever should the crew of the Petrel be involved in whatever feast or party we undertake. The captain and some few of her officers, perhaps, but that is it. Consider the crew to be wolves and our tenants sheep. We,then, must be the wolf-hounds.

The more I consider it the more I feel any kind of feast would be a bad idea. Instead, perhaps, we should meet with the magistrate and feel him out on presiding over a dinner or small feast including ourselves, himself and some few prominent citizens as there are on the island. Lacking these, just himself and the party. I am curious to know more about the infrastructure, local government, commerce, skilled trades etc... we can perhaps worry about public relations once we decide what to do with the place, eh?

Thoughts?

Maximillian said...

That sounds good to me.

Lukas said...

Indeed.

Ahmet said...

Agreed.

Lukas said...

If we're lucky perhaps we can arrange the Magister hosting the meal in an attempt to impress us.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up; I'll try to keep up as much as possible today, but I'm busting out with news and I want to spend some free time getting that down too.