Wednesday, July 17, 2013

OMG

(OOC:  Most of the time, I play a monster, and I am a bit underwhelmed by the monster's failure to do anything.  I insert some horrific creature, such as a 'hydra,' expecting that hydra to be dangerous and potentially deadly, only to find that a party dispatches such a beast without hardly a scratch.  Not that I want to kill a party, mind, but most of the time I get a round like this, where I get four attacks, and all four miss.

And then there are rounds like this one.  And when they happen, I find myself wanting to re-roll the dice.  Okay, here goes).

Before the Attack

Boroge does little more than pivot, bringing its right most head towards Maximillian and the left most towards Andrej.  The two in the middle both strike at Ahmet, who has given this beast the most trouble, it must be recognized.

I roll a 6 to hit Andrej ... and he's missed.

I roll a 15, then a 17 against Ahmet, hitting ACs 1 and -1.  I roll 2d8 for damage and Ahmet takes 13 from the first blow ... then he takes an additional 13 from the second.  The second, I am absolutely certain, stuns Ahmet.  I'm pretty sure the first one did.

Then I roll a natural 20 against Maximillian, who has finally had the nerve to get into this.  That is followed by a 6 on a d20, so that it is double damage ... and for damage I roll 2d8 and get a 12 ... doubled for 24 damage.  The hydra snaps his mouth around Maximillian's body and then hurls him into the arms of Sofia, in 2812 (the arrows on the image below show Maximillian moving forward to attack, then being thrown back).

Maximillian is still alive; he's at -4 hit points.  He'll need to roll a modified wisdom check (under 60% of his wisdom) to stay alive.  He's double-wounded, so he'll be losing 2 hp per round if someone doesn't start binding his wounds immediately.

Ahmet is also wounded twice, once from each blow.  He's stumbled back into 2813.

That was ... brutal.  I can't express how much I'd like it if that hadn't happened.



Please do what you can.

32 comments:

Ahmet said...

Ahmet bleeds.

Andrej said...

Sofia pulls Max straight back as far as she can. I'm not sure how many hexes she can move carry-dragging Max, normally she'd be moving three.

Andrej can either move or attack, and momentum being what it is I feel I need to strike a blow for our side to prevent a bloody rout. Andrej is the rear-guard... unless you guys have a better idea the rest of those who can should probably pull back.


Andrej strikes at the head directly in front of him (3015)

to hit: 19 (yes!)
dmg: 6

Ahmet said...

Enrico, assuming he can step over Ahmet, advances to 2913 (4 AP). He can't attack this round but at least he can give the heads someone else to target and maybe give the back row time to regroup.

Maximillian said...

Max Bleeds, Rolls...
(12, 60% of wisdom is 10, so fail)
and bleeds more.

Andrej said...

Andrej appreciates the additional, fellow target in Enrico.

Alexis Smolensk said...

If Maximillian is conscious, he will be able to move under his own power. (Sofia could start binding his wounds, which he could finish once he had regained his senses); let's find out if he's conscious.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ah, he has failed. Damn.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Enrico can move past Ahmet to the designated hex.

Andrej said...

Typo above, yes? Max's modified WIS check was to stay conscious, not stay alive.

What are Sofia's options in terms of binding at this point? Must she get Max to dry land?

Maximillian said...

(LOL, yeah, damn.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

The head in 3015 - the woman's head - is stunned.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Oh, Maximillian is still alive ... but he's bleeding 2 hp per round. In three rounds, if attention is not paid to him in that time, he'll die (he stops losing hit points the moment someone begins binding his wounds, which takes three rounds).

Alexis Smolensk said...

Also, I don't know if anyone has a healing salve, but that will stop a wound also.

Ahmet said...

Healing salve? Uh... (Ahmet whistles innocently) Get your own, bub!

Andrej said...

Neither Andrej nor Sofia have any salves currently (damnable time to have not replenished).

If worse comes to worst, Andrej happens to have a death's door scroll he can use.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet has one left.

Maximillian said...

better stay alive then, andrej.

Andrej said...

The scroll will be a lot tougher to replace than Ahmet's salve... ; )

Lukas said...

Lukas begins healing salving Max.

Also, if he can he will move one hex back to 2811 first.

Unless they do move him out of range of healing... Which I don't think will happen. Cause I have some healing salves.

Ahmet said...

Yeah. Assuming I get unstunned I'll pass it over. Ahmet still has 8 HP left, so Max needs a lot more than he does. (Enrico is at 7, btw.)

Lukas said...

I have also noticed I neglected to note the rules on salves on my sheet.

Side Note: Putting healing salves in my pouch was a great idea... Should be easy to find amongst the loose change.

Maximillian said...

(OOC: I thought we were so close...)

Andrej said...

(OOC: There's always tomorrow)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Yeah, this has been an amazing fight. The first round looked like we were done for, then we came back in a big way, we followed him in here and nailed him pretty well, and then... boom.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

I'll rule that Lukas can get the salve into Maximillian in a few moments; he won't lose any hit points next round, and the healing salve will kick then (might wake Maximillian up).

Meanwhile, as Lukas comes forward to tell Sofia he's got Maximillian, that leaves the Monk free (we'll say Sofia loses 1 AP ... she has 5 AP left).

Alexis Smolensk said...

Have I missed anyone's comment?

Ahmet said...

I think we're good.

James C. said...

Sweet...

Sofia steps up to 2912 to hopefully give Lukas and Max the time they need.

She also draws and hurls her last dagger at the main body:

to hit: 1

oy fucking vey

Alexis Smolensk said...

Lukas will have to douse his torch, however, to administer to Maximillian - he needs both hands.

Sofia's torch will still be up.

Andrej said...

Is it possible to lose experience points in combat?

; )

Alexis Smolensk said...

This is usually the moment someone in my offline party throws a natural 2 ... shooting one of their fellow party members in the back.

I'll get up a new post today.

Maximillian said...

(OOC: Speaking of negative experience, the only damage I've done in this game has been negative, so there)