Friday, July 12, 2013

It's Running Away?


Boroge turns, flattens itself into the water and swims away, somewhat more quickly than it would wallow.  The hump of its back shows above the waterline (and you can see i've added a 'glow' to that) which the party can see, but which will modify the chance to hit (particular issue for Enrico, as now the hydra is a bit far for daggers).  It moves 5 hexes altogether.

The party's move is shown as before.  Feel free to take action.


UPDATE:

I can save a little time if I put the next update here:


79 comments:

Andrej said...

Sofia moves to hex 2107.

Andrej assumes Ahmet will make it to hex 2307 and will discharge his spell at that time.

Ahmet said...

Let's try three possibilities with Enrico.

Option 1: He advances one hex (2 MP) to 2308 and fires his short bow at the hydra's body (2 MP), which is 9 hexes away.

Option 2: If for some reason he can't advance then fire, but he can see the hydra from his current hex, he fires his short bow at its body (2 MP), at a range of 10 hexes, then advances one hex (2 MP) to 2308.

To hit for Option 1 or 2: 15
Damage: 3

Option 3: If Enrico can't advance then fire, and if he can't see the hydra from his current hex, he advances to 2308 (2 MP), and reloads/aims so he can fire next round.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet makes his 30 degree turn and charges four hexes to 2307 (4 MP).

Andrej said...

Andrej uses the spell upon Ahmet, restoring 6 hit points.

Lukas said...

A bit far for daggers, but I calculate a 10 hex distance if I step forwards for my darts. This means it's right on the far edge of -2...

Therefore, Lukas steps forwards into 2109 and throws a dagger at the hump. Hopefully the fire will offset the range penalty.

D20+2-2: 9
D3: 1

Maybe next time... 18 of 20 darts remain.

Maximillian said...

I'll cross behind Ahmet into 2209 and take a deep breath.
Now what?

Alexis Smolensk said...

There's no problem with Enrico advancing, then firing, or firing, then advancing.

Enrico hits (-4 to hit because the body is under water, +2 for faerie fire, hits AC 5 ... so does it with Maximillian's help. Enrico causes the damage and Maximillian feels a little better that the faerie fire lets the creature be seen at this point.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I did forget to mention that Ahmet took one more damage from bleeding as the hydra swims off.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Andrej can touch Ahmet just as he comes up, but has to wait for the whole round to do so.

Give Ahmet his heal, Andrej.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sorry, I missed that you had. Thank you.

Andrej said...

Squeeze in one more round?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Judging that Enrico is in 2308, I'll try to get up the next one.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Okay, I've updated THIS post ... you can see a new image above. The creature continues almost out of sight - Ahmet can just see it go around a corner.

Maximillian's spell is due to run out after this round.

Lukas said...

Lukas slogs to 2310.

Ahmet said...

Are we still in combat movement, or can we move more freely now?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Where the party is, and when, is still relevant, unless you take particular actions. So please let's stay in specifics as to your locations, what you're carrying. I'll let you know if relaxing is an option.

You can still talk freely, obviously ... but I'd like to keep track of where you are.

Maximillian said...

Well friends, what shall we do?

Which direction is the water moving?

Lukas said...

I move forwards until the 2400 column where I take care to check the upcoming depth.

"Watch out I bet it gets deeper!"

Alexis Smolensk said...

Let's leave Luka at 2310 for the moment, until I know what everyone is doing.

Ahmet said...

Enrico reloads his bow and watches for any sight of the hydra's return.

Ahmet moves to 2309, scimitar at the ready, cautiously probing the depths with his foot.

Ahmet said...

Good question about the water flow...

Alexis Smolensk said...

The water is moving a little through the wide tunnel towards you, but there's no real current.

The slope of the floor or the depth of the water does not change.

(OOC: Must be SOME reason the DM wants to keep up the combat movement ...!)

Maximillian said...

I move to 2211

Maximillian said...

I look down, curious if there's blood in the water, and then I wonder where the water might be flowing to, so I turn around to look.

Lukas said...

See if you can see my missed dart floating along...

Lukas said...

Unless maybe the Hydra has some way of flooding the cave.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet advances to 2510 and continues probing the depths. Still not getting deeper?

James C. said...

Andrej casts bless.

Once those catholics present are affected, +1 to hit rolls and +1 morale (don't think that matters) for the next hour.

Sofia keeps a look-out behind where the party's attention is presently drawn. She still holds a torch.

James C. said...

Meaning Sofia is keeping an eye out behind us, toward the tunnel to the surface.

Maximillian said...

That is also the direction I'm facing at the moment, trying to determine where the water is going.

Ahmet said...

I'm afraid to ask this but... Can anyone swim?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Did anyone look at the swimming link on the wiki?

Andrej said...

I did. Neither Andrej nor Sofia are swimmers. Maximilian, however...

Ahmet said...

For the curious, here it is.

Of my little group, only Enrico's hireling Carlito (the son of a sailor) can swim... and he's not with us.

I'm curious as to why the water doesn't seem to be getting deeper. Nevertheless, unless someone has a better idea, let's fall back toward the rope and regroup.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: As an aside, let's devote some downtime to swimming lessons for the rest of us...)

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Mondays and Tuesdays are always going to be bad for me ... but I'll give what I can)

I'm prepared to let the party reduce their actions to non-round time units ... but just to remind you, the faerie fire has run out, and the dark is now the dark again. The hydra could easily return to just outside the range of light given by your torches.

Andrej said...

I'm not ready to pull back just yet...

Alexis, the how tall was the hydra's hump when it was standing closer to us? I'm trying to get a sense of how deep the water is where we lost sight of the hydra.

I'd love to at least see what's around the bend. I presume the hydra normally sits on dry ground and this is somewhat confirmed in the content of the conversation Ahmet and Sofia overheard.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Regarding the water.

The flow would never be more than the speed of water as it moves towards the drain of your bathtub ... which is not to say its the speed right at the end, where it forms a spout ... but the part of water around your body, which is barely moving.

And no, it does not get deeper. There's no reason to presume it MUST deepen.

The direction of flow is FROM the direction the hydra has just gone. However, the current is so slight that it would not impede your way (you've technically been moving 'upstream' all along).

Ahmet said...

How much rope did we use to get down here? We had three 50' coils; did we use all three?

Maximillian said...

(OOC: I will also be offline most of the day, but I'll check in this evening. I'll also be unavailable on Friday.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

Andrej,

The hydra is apparently able to flatten itself out quite a lot; the hump only appeared about a foot and a half above the waterline. This is clearly how it approached in the dark before rearing up.

Andrej said...

All Catholics present should consider themselves as under the effects of the bless spell for the next hour.

I say we press forward, two by two:


left - right

Andrej - Ahmet

Lukas (w/ torch) - Maximillian

Sofia (w/ torch) - Carlito.

Lukas said...

Indeed. Let us press on, though be certain we do not encounter deeper waters while watching out for a giant beast that can squish itself underwater.

Lukas said...

Might want to be prepared to keep a little space between each person though. Because if we're right next to each other we might as well be letting it just chomp on all of us at once.

Andrej said...

How does one hex distance between each column and row sound, until we get through the tunnel and into the larger cave, where we can spread out more as needed?

Andrej said...

And this might work better so we don't turn as a group so much as turn as individuals:

left right


Lukas (hex) Andrej

(hex) (hex) (hex)

Carlito (hex) Ahmet

(hex) (hex) (hex)

Sofia (hex) Max

Sofia and Lukas still have torches

Ahmet said...

Carlito isn't here... he's back at the docks with Hichem and Mareo. We have Tazio, but he is up top with the horse. But I see you didn't account for Enrico, so I think Carlito = Enrico. Got it.

Hey, do we collect X.P. now? Not sure if anyone is close enough to leveling up for it to make a difference, but maybe...

Maximillian said...

I'm not sure I follow which is the front in that diagram, do you have me in the right front position as we enter the tunnel? That's fine with me, I just wanted to be clear. Let's enter.

Andrej said...

Max: Essentially the "front" are those on the right side. I tried to keep those with torches and/ or distance weapons on the left/ back. Since you cast shillelagh I was counting you as a melee fighter, but you can swap if you like.

Maximillian said...

No, it's all good. I can take at least one hit.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet (with shield and Dilmek) and Enrico (with short bow) head deeper into the cavern as per Andrej's marching order.

Lukas said...

After some arranging, Lukas proceeds with the party.

Maximillian said...

We all enter together.

Andrej said...

As per the diagram, Lukas and Andrej lead on the first "leg" of the trip.

Andrej will move as far as hex 3216 then stop, should he make it that far to assess what we see by torch light. everybody should be moving in a straight, diagonally downward line as per the arrangement.

Sofia moves forward also.

Alexis Smolensk said...

How much rope; yes, you used all three.

Remind me again please of who is Catholic. I've forgotten.

I was wondering if you could designate a hex number for the layout of the group, so that I can figure out who is where - then I can move them forward using one of the party members as a key, the others keeping formation. Put that front-most right-most person in hex 2412, and we'll go from there.

Andrej said...

If the others have no objection, I can arrange the party as per the layout I proposed.

Andrej said...

Sofia and Andrej are Catholic (can Andrej bless himself?) as are Lukas and I believe Enrico. Ahmet and Max I'm not sure about.

Andrej said...

Andrej in hex 2412

Lukas in hex 2410 w/ torch

Ahmet in hex 2211

Enrico in hex 2209

Max in hex 2010

Sofia in hex 2008 w/ torch

Maximillian said...

I will be where andrej places me, however if you want me in front in place of Lukas, that's fine. I can even hold a torch in my offhand.

Maximillian said...

(OOC: my spotty availability begins now. I'll do my best to check in when possible.)

Ahmet said...

Enrico is "Catholic" but hasn't been baptized in-game yet, so I don't believe the spell will work on him. Ditto for Ahmet.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Okay, Maximillian is gone, and I'm out of the picture myself for some hours ... I have the party layout and Andrej will be able to advance to 2814 before we need to worry about anything.

As the party moves forward, they notice there are some things in the water ... a trident, a warhammer, a heavy crossbow (just off to Lukas's left), a great helmet in 2713 and three suits of scale mail ... apparently without any bodies in them.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Plenty of water around.

Andrej said...

Andrej might like to pull at least one of those suits of scale outta here, should he finally decide to give up his plate mail for better mobility. And the great helmet was called out by hex, hmmmm....

Let's bypass the looting for now, though, strong as the urge may be. Once he gets to 2814 he stops and does his best to look south and east as far as he can see in the torchlight.

Does the torchlight ruin entirely Andrej's infravision, or with it positioned as it is behind him would he be able to perceive something beyond that illuminated by the torch?

Ahmet said...

Interesting that the armor is empty but apparently not destroyed/managled. I doubt a hydra could neatly pluck a man out of scale mail...

Lukas said...

Did they get out of it willingly? It would have to be an emergency to get out of it and discard it in water.

Lukas said...

I recommend ignoring looting. All we need is for this place to be run by an illusionist cannibal for us to suddenly think we're drowning and fall over into 2 feet of water and actually drown.

Lukas said...

At least until it's safe and we can detect magic with caution...

Andrej said...

Agreed. Besides, I see now that the scale mail won't benefit Andrej directly anyway, unless I can manage somehow to get an 18 strength.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Suspending what goes on around the corner for now (haven't the time). The light does spoil Andrej's infravision. You don't know that the scale mail is undamaged (its under water).

And a snake like creature could devour something through the spaces of the armor ... particularly if the body swelled with the water.

Ahmet said...

Stop shooting down my conspiracy theories with logic ;)

Alexis Smolensk said...

Every time I do that, Ahmet, just assume it's Lukas's 17 intelligence.

Ahmet said...

How far back would the torchbearers have to be for Andrej to be able to use his infravision? Perhaps we can halt the party and send the sacrifice, I mean, the half-orc forward.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Andrej would have to be outside the circle of light depicted by the torch; so, more than 8 hexes from the torchbearer. Even then, he wouldn't be able to see infravision in the direction of the torch. Right on the edge would give him 180 degrees of infravision.

Andrej said...

Once we're all out from behind the wall and in position to move downward the sacrifice, er half-orc, will give it a shot.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Give me a couple of hours, gentlemen; I'll try to get up the next post & map by 2 EST.

I just had to write the post I wrote this morning.

You guys like the treasure table? Anyone tried to get a feel for how much treasure might be under the hydra? Incidentally, the New Wiki link on the Campaign blog has also been updated)

Lukas said...

(OOC: I had some thoughts, but then I realized they were better sounding in my head and didn't add anything to the conversation, so I didn't post anything.

Aside from that, I like the idea, it will help make the treasure a bit more... consistent with the setting? I'm not sure if that's what I mean to say, but it seems the closest to the wording)

Lukas said...

(OOC: Oh and I'm not calculating the treasure, I like to wait for it to hatch first. I will calculate odds of success, I will calculate the strength of the foe, I will calculate the value of a spell or item, but right now the only thing I'm counting on is XP and hopefully a hydra skull for my library.)

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.