Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Exhausted, Then Awake

Feb 3, 1651, early afternoon

Weather: with cool temperatures and overcast conditions, with a light breeze

(There were some incorrect moon phase graphics; those have been fixed)

I doubt sincerely that it would take more than a few hours, after finding the treasure, to move it up and out of the cavern and secure it on horses.  You may not have the necessary sacks, but we're talking no more than a hundred pounds worth of coins, which if necessary could be buried somewhere about (so suggests Tazio).  Armor and other finds can be secured upon horses, which can be walked back to Zante if necessary.

Between searching the floor for treasure, the party will come up to the surface for food and to get war, where they will find it is full night.  The men-at-arms have food cooking, bedrolls laid out, etcetera, but no one gets any sleep because your adrenaline simply won't let you.  You're driven to poke through all the hydra's lair, even those areas of the large first cave for awhile before you're convinced the hydra killed no bodies there.  Now and then you find sunk, waterlogged bones, of adults, signs of the other fighters who came there, but no children's bones; Andrej postulates the hydra ate them, perhaps because children's bones are softer and digestible.  The party also finds a wad of rotted clothing that has been used to stuff between the cracks in one corner, for a foot high platform under the water where apparently the hydra sleeps.  Much of the clothing is that sort which children would wear, but it is faded and of course ripped to pieces.

Once you get the material and the gear and what have you hauled out, filling bags as necessary and emptying them out as necessary, to let the people up top try to jury-rig pouches if necessary, the party, exhausted, crashes onto their bedrolls.  They sleep fitfully and unwell for five hours, awaking only as their bodies cry out for more food.

I'm guessing you find a way to keep the coinage, then, but beyond what I've described, I make no assumptions about what the party does once it awakes and eats again.

76 comments:

Ahmet said...

Ahmet shows Tazio the engraved helmet, the chain mantlet, and the short sword (anything else made of metal that you guys want him to appraise?) for his opinion.

Maximillian said...

I will cast Cure Light Wounds on myself.
D4+4:5

Was that enough rest to heal any naturally?

Andrej said...

Sofia offers up her gold medallion for inspection by Tazio.

All, please give me your current hit points and maximum hit points so that I may mete out healing based on need.

Lukas said...

I dig out my spare burlap sacks that I have picked up in abundance for just this kind of occasion.

Of coarse, my back pack is full of random stuff, so it is practically incapable of really helping with anything beyond providing said random stuff.

I was probably using the burlap sacks as extra padding in the big portion... (I have 7 listed, but I'm not sure how tightly burlap sacks can be rolled up. That said, whatever amount is reasonable is how many I have (+1 wrapped around a box)

Alexis Smolensk said...

Keeping in mind that Tazio is not himself a metallurgist - his father was - his assessment is more limited than an expert's. Still, I rate his ability as a "27" ... which I said was the realm of a gifted amateur.

He would estimate the mantlet and short sword are upward of 500 g.p. each; that the engraved helmet is something less, perhaps three or four hundred ... the medallion, a hundred, perhaps 150 less. The gold ring is featureless and perhaps not of true gold, he'd estimate less than a hundred gold. He guesses the flail is magical without being told.

Alexis Smolensk said...

A day of rest is required to heal hit points. One full day of doing nothing but resting. 24 hours.

Alexis Smolensk said...

3 lbs. of food each today for consumption, please.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet is at 8 HP out of 53.

Enrico at 3 of 17.

Tazio is 10 of 10, Carlito is 9 of 9.

Maximillian said...

Max is at 3/27

Andrej said...

Andrej covers the party and retainers with a create food and water.

Also, Andrej rolled a "46" for his artifact knowledge re: the flail, any more details?

Andrej recommends that Ahmet consider baptism now, so that he may benefit from the aid spell's hit points.

Andrej said...

Max, is 3/27 after you cured yourself 5?

Maximillian said...

Yes, I was at -2 before.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I think there are other short-term benefits to baptism, like a bonus to saving throws, or something? I'd like to keep that card in my pocket if we can... I expect we're going to have some down time once we return to the ship.)

Lukas said...

That said, Andrej I did also take a hit. I am not as poorly off as the others though.

LUKAS 7/23

Alexis Smolensk said...

Make a note, Andrej, that the 46 you rolled applies to bludgeoning weapons.

You're fairly certain it is a run-of-the-mill flail +1.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Fellas, DO check out the new treasure and arms table on the wiki; I just put it up, been working on it since last week. Includes magic use now)

Lukas said...

My big push right now is to rewrite and update the equipment section of my character sheet with an emphasis on clarity and accuracy...

I don't know what I was thinking with some of it... and it still had my second horse.

Maximillian said...

(OOC: Alexis, Are you going to post about the treasure table on your main blog?) I have some comments/questions about the bell curve, but I'll hold off on those if you're currently doing a writeup._

Alexis Smolensk said...

I did post. It's not a bell curve.

Andrej said...

Andrej casts cure light wounds upon Max and restores 5 hit points.

Andrej casts aid upon Lukas and restores 15 hit points.

Lukas said...

Thank you Andrej.

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: I'm going to go mess with weather tables for a bit; I'll check in again after awhile)

Lukas said...

I need to look up the carrying capacity of burlap sacks... then compare it to the size of hydra heads.

Maybe if we're lucky someone in town can help us deal with them so they wont smell too bad on the way to our destination.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The heads weigh about 14 pounds, so call it one head per sack.

Salt the heads; about 80 pounds of salt per head will pickle them.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Sorry, that should read 8 lbs. of salt.

Typo.

Lukas said...

For a moment there I was doing some strange math. Thank you Alexis.

Maybe I can buy some barrels and just put heads in them with salt.

James C. said...

I suspect that by spreading out the load and walking our horses we should be able to get ourselves, our loot and the hydra heads back to Zante. Should we thusly commence?

Ahmet said...

Yes, let's commence.

Maximillian said...

Yes. I'm not sure what a riding horse's max load is considered to be, but with me on my horse, I'm guessing I'm getting close.

Lukas said...

I can also conjur up a mule. (I suspect they have a better carry than a horse if not I'll conjur a riding horse.)

James C. said...

Max, this is why at worse we can walk the horses. Surely our new gear and trophies can't weigh more than ourselves and our old gear?

And away we go...

Maximillian said...

Actually, I just realized I never deducted what the horse ate, so I probably have a bit more room, not that I think anyone's gone over.

Alexis Smolensk said...

A horse, at maximum, will carry its own weight. A riding horse is about 1000 lbs.

However, since you want to take it off a rocky hill, I would suggest keeping the max to 500.

A mule will also carry its own weight: 2000 lbs. And a mule will make it down the hill no problem.

Alexis Smolensk said...

As you are wrapping up the camp, pulling together your gear, packing your horses, sorting out the last bits of things, finding rents and tears in your clothing that you haven't noted through the night, etc., you see two figures coming across the open high grass through the pine trees, towards you.

They look vaguely familiar.

Maximillian said...

Plenty of room!

As we walk down the hill, I ask if anyone thought more about my suggestion yesterday, of sending a note to roberto and federico explaining the situation and letting them deal with it as they saw fit.

If you'd rather try and get the glory ourselves, should we go straight to whoever's in charge? Or should we tell the townsfolk and let the rumors precede us?

Maximillian said...

Ah, I guess we may have other options to consider.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The two men are sailors from Madam's ship - Jakob and Anders.

Andrej said...

Max, personally I say we make for Zante and perhaps mention to any villagers along the way that the creature is dead and should the practice of dropping the village children into the cave continue, they can be safely fished out. We can show the heads as proof, should it come to it.

Andrej hails the two sailors, offering them a bite and a pull from his skin.

Maximillian said...

Are these the same ones that roughed me up in the middle of the night? One's name was Jacobo

Lukas said...

Weight wise I think the Mule has us covered gents. Especially given nobody rode it in. Just pack up the bags and throw it on the thing.

Lukas said...

Meanwhile I wait patiently for them to arrive and find out what they're up to.

Andrej said...

Andrej and Sofia are able to pack away themselves and their gear on their horses, as we took no armor, so you gents have at the mule.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Yes, sorry, Jacobo. The other Maximillian doesn't recognize, but Ahmet does.

Anders shouts hello from about 30 feet away.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"We have come to find you," he says.

Lukas said...

Lukas offers a friendly wave back but keeps to the Tetris game of packing onto the conjured mule.

Andrej said...

"I trust all is well with Captain Salvadore and the Petrel's Wing..."

Alexis Smolensk said...

"All is not well," answers Anders disconsolately, coming to a stop about ten feet away. "The Petrel has been deported. It is banned from Zante."

Andrej said...

"What has happened?"

Lukas said...

Lukas now has full attention, "And why is that exactly? Do we know or was it not explained?"

Lukas gestures to the packing, "As you can see we were on our way back even as we speak."

Alexis Smolensk said...

"The Captain has gotten drunk again. She's killed the youngest son of a landholder; he challenged her and she stabbed him in the throat."

Jacobo looks a bit sour, as though remembering the sight and reliving it. Anders shakes his head and says, "It is not the first time something like this has happened. It was three men in Gibraltar. She has been like this since the death of her husband."

Lukas said...

"I guess we may not be celebrating with the locals then. Let us return and flash a head of the hydra and get out of here. I doubt the landholder will forgive THEIR lost son even though all the peasants have already lost theirs.

That said, I bet this place is primed for revolt."

Ahmet said...

Ahmet looks like he has been struck by Cupid's arrow all over again. He flutters his eyes and smiles wistfully.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"We have come to find you, to tell you that the Petrel waits on the north point of the island.

Andrej said...

"Where is the captain now... and the ship, and your crewmates? Also, my soldiers and our retainer Hichem?"

Andrej said...

Assuming Hichem and my men are onboard as well, we make for the north point.

Ahmet said...

(and Carlito and Mareo)

Lukas said...

Perhaps we should leave a sign on one of the roads... Carve something in wood or something.

Maximillian said...

Well, I guess it could be worse. Shall we head north then?

Andrej said...

That was a question for the rest of the party, not a statement... forgot my "?"

Andrej said...

Lukas, why not stick one of the heads upon the sign that formerly read "Fear". They'll figure it out. And if not, well... maybe its bets they throw the children down the hole after all. ; )

Alexis Smolensk said...

(Where they can slowly starve to death)

All your other men are aboard ship with the crew.

Maximillian said...

Yes, I vote to make haste.

Ahmet said...

To the ships!

Andrej said...

Seriously, let's write "No" in front "Fear" on the sign if anybody has ink (Lukas?) and secure the head somehow. If we see any island folk on our way north we can also spread the word that way. Spending a single head to leave evidence of our deed seems a good use of a trophy.

Maximillian said...

I suppose Jacobo and Anders may know the way.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Anders tells you the compass knows the way.

Maximillian said...

Verry well, I propose we head to the ENE, to stay in more cultivated lands. I'd rather not encounter a dire boar in this condition.

Maximillian said...

(OOC, Actually, I just found the map...) Make that the NE, until we find a road to the north.

Andrej said...

While the others finish packing and preparing, Andrej takes one of the heads and makes his way to the cave, securing the head as described above to the sign. Should anybody produce ink he will alter the sign as described above. If not, mud will do.

Should this be done without interference, we are ready. I do not object to Maximillian choosing our best course north.

Alexis Smolensk said...

"The ship is not where people are," says Anders. "It does not invite a patrol. If you are ready, come on."

Alexis Smolensk said...

(OOC: Okay, I'm going to go for the day. Was good; let's give it some more time tomorrow).

Maximillian said...

We are ready; Father Andrej will not be long.

Lukas said...

We carve the NO into the sign using one of our many sharp implements. Ink unnecessary. Rub some dirt into it if you want.

Lukas said...

And BTW, not the female head. It WAS different than the others, want to keep the distinct one.

Lukas said...

I have a hand compass BTW, after we do our best to keep children from starving to death cold and alone in a cave, let's go to the ship. I just wish we could claim some credit for our good deed...

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.