Monday, February 11, 2013

Day of the Storm off Dugi Otok

Jan 17, 1651, Saturday night
Weather:  with chilly temperatures and a steady drizzle, with a strong breeze

The captain's mood in improved somewhat as the wind improves from the early afternoon through Friday evening, with a gentle wind that blows the ship down along the coast of Cres Isle and into the open Adriatic.  This wind dies during the evening, until the ship is merely edging outwards upon the current ... but with the morning comes the worst.

A terrifying blizzard strikes the ship an hour before dawn, bringing with it frosty temperatures that immediately freezes all the guidelines and the deck, making even walking a dangerous activity.  There's little time to string the necessary safety measures, and the party is rallied - at sword point if necessary - to help in battening and managing the ship.  Ahmet's chicken cages are tossed about - but manage not to break - and the whole ship is put into a wild flight as the captain fights to keep her ship from flying into the Adriatic.  Steadily, almost miraculously, she drives her crew to maintain the desired course.

At one point, Ahmet finds himself commissioned to hammer the knots in ropes to break them apart.  Burnt by the screaming winds, soaked to the skin, he endures as one of boatswain vilifies him for not swinging hard or fast enough ... whereupon Madam appears, shouts an order at the boatswain that he fails to understand, and she strikes him so hard that it lays him on the deck.  Ahmet cannot understand what either of them are saying, but the officer leaps to his feet, appears contrite, and flies at once towards the bow.

Step by step, throughout the day, the storm diminishes, while the ship makes good time; the coastline reappears (its been there all along, but couldn't be seen) and the crew describes it as Dugi Otok.  They've come through fine, wasted no knots and the ship has come through with little damage.

By evening, though the rain continues, at the point marked by the yellow star, the wind has died again, as it shifts to the northwest ... whereupon a strong breeze sends you quickly along.  Dugi Otok falls out of sight and the sea steadies into clear - if unpleasantly wet - sailing.

59 comments:

Lukas said...

Unaware of how useful raw lumber would be on a ship, Lukas attempts should he be able to offer his ability to conjur a limited amount per day should it be necessary.

(5 cubic feet per level, or 20 cubic feet. Might be useful for ship repairs)

Maximillian said...

During the storm I willingly assisted wherever needed, probably with the horses, and made certain Mareo did as well. Now, in the calm of the evening, I'll share my ale with whoever is not already asleep or on duty (I think I have about 30 pints, can't remember exactly), before crawling off to bed myself.

Alexis said...

I must be as dumb as the posts you're conjuring, Lukas, because I can't think of what spell or cantrip you're using.

Maximillian,

Several of the men take advantage of your offer of ale, pleased as punch for the opportunity to sip a sud or two.

After going to sleep, however, you find yourself roughly seized in your sleep by two large men. You have no idea what their intention is.

Lukas said...

I am offering the 'Material' spell. A second level spell that conjures non-metal things in a raw form. It's got a lot of details, but wood is one of the basic ones.

Maximillian said...

I'll let out a yell like a startled donkey, and struggle as best I can. If the men are on either side of me, I will do my best to get to one side or the other, trying to move directly towards the man on that side. If they are both on one side, I will pull away from them

At this time, can you describe where we are sleeping? How much visibility is there?

Note that Mareo is at -1 if his sleep is interrupted.

Alexis said...

Oh, I'm totally accepting the use of the spell, and the sailors aboard are grateful! I just could not think of what the spell was ...

Alexis said...

Maximillian - roll a d20. Mareo is nowhere to be seen ... not that you have much ability to see anything at this point.

Maximillian said...

{d20: 13}

Alexis said...

Maximillian,

You manage to clip one of the individual's on the jaw (roll a d4 minus 3 plus strength bonus to damage to determine damage done).

They are neither of them stunned, even if you roll maximum (though it's potential experience).

Maximillian also manages to squirm out of the way, so that the one with fists as big as the druid's head misses a punch and slams his hand into one of the solid posts by your hammock. The other, however, jabs his fist hard into Maximillian's ribs, causing three damage.

Roll the d4-3 for damage and then let me know your next action.

Does 3 damage stun Maximillian? Stuns up to 12 total hit points - if you have less than or equal to that before being hit.

Maximillian said...

{d4-3+1: 1-3+1=-1} I guess my tender caress heals one damage ;)
Not stunned, new hp: 17.

My next action is still dependent on their positions, as I'm trying to get free of the hammock and put it between me and the one with the big fists. I'm fine with moving towards the other one if that's what it takes to do so.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Do what you will to the Druid, but if you bugger my chickens there will be hell to pay!)

Alexis said...

Reading that as trying to free yourself from grappling, Maximillian, please roll a d20.

Lukas said...

(OOC: Looks like you made some friends. No good deed goes unpunished.)

Maximillian said...

{d20: 18}

Alexis said...

Maximillian manages to squirm out of his hammock, drop to the floor and get to where his back is against the bulkhead.

He can see now the two men. They're both huge. You've seen them before over the past few days - they seem to spend a lot of time near the Captain.

"Slippery fellow, isn't he?" says one, rubbing his sore hand.

"Yeah," says the other flatly. He draws out a belaying pin from his belt. "But the Captain said bring 'im, and she said bring 'im bruised. And I ain't convinced yet he's bruised enough."

They move around the bunk and Maximillian will need to roll initiative. A d6 please.

Maximillian said...

{d6: 3}

Alexis said...

The boys are going to roll a 4.

We'll continue this tomorrow.

Alexis said...

They advance towards Maximillian, pins in hand - and a voice behind them says, "That's enough."

It's the boatswain, and he says, "Jacobo, he's bruised enough. Take him to the Captain and let's get on with this."

The men move to seize Maximillian.

Andrej said...

zzzzzzzz.....zzzzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzzz

(OOC: That being a very literal expression of Andrej's and Sofia's current actions, not a comment on the campaign's activity or content.)

; )

Alexis said...

I think we may assume that Andrej and Sofia, along with Ahmet and Enrico, are in the port chambers, while Maximillian is in the starboard. The others of the party are watching Ahmet's chickens and the horses, while the men at arms are settled on the cargo deck. With all this action, we may assume the rest of the party has awoken.

Andrej said...

Andrej addresses the bos'n, "What is the meaning of this?"

Alexis said...

"Captain wants to speak with him," says the Bos'n. "You want to know why, ask the captain."

(OOC: I need to know before we can move forward if Maximillian resists the sailors)

Andrej said...

"Very well, let's go." Andrej makes ready to follow the bos'n and the sailors to the captain, donning his cross.

"Be calm Maxamillian, all will be well."

Ahmet said...

Ahmet tells Enrico and his fellows to remain with the horses and chickens while he accompanies Andrej and Maximillian.

"Your heathenish love of drink has caused this," Ahmet mutters to Maximillian.

Maximillian said...

(Sorry, running a little late this morning.)

With the arrival of the botswain, it becomes clrear that these two do not have a nefarious purpose, so...

"Very well, let's see what the captain wants."

Maximillian said...

(OOC: A couple of significant things have happened recently. The weekend before last, I became engaged to my girlfriend, and last night she rolled up her first character. Things are looking pretty good.)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Congrats!)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Indeed, congrats Maximilian.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: May you have many happy years together!)

Maximillian said...

(Thank you all, I'm very happy.)

Lukas said...

(OOC: Congratulations.)

I don't think roughing up and stealing away to the captain counts as 'not nefarious'.

Lukas will probably be interested with what's going on, but wont press the parties luck by pushing to follow as well. Don't want to threaten the captain with numbers.

He'll try and arrange himself so he can see the exit of the captain's quarters if he can.

Alexis said...

Maximillian finds himself brought to the Captain's cabin - which is, after all, only twenty feet away - and the party in tow, the door not closed to hide what is going on. All will see the first and second mates, along with the ship's steward, standing side by side - not looking at all comfortable. There's a man who's back is turned to the party, standing in the center of the cabin, and the Captain appears to be have been interrupted while redressing him.

She looks at Maximillian and says to her men, "Bring him here!" in a very forthright manner.

Maximillian is pushed forward, to stand beside the other man.

"Do you know this man?" The captain asks Maximillian, pointing at the other.

Maximillian does. He was one of the men eager to have some of Maximillian's ale, earlier. At the moment, the man looks a bit drunk ... however, none took more than a few swallows of Maximillian's ale.

Maximillian said...

"Good ... evening, Madam Captain. I have made his aquaintance as a member of your crew"

Lukas said...

Lukas cringes slightly at Maximillian's flippant greeting and response. Since apparently he can see and or hear this intentionally public display.

Alexis said...

"And did you give him strong drink?" demands the Captain.

You can, Lukas.

Maximillian said...

Madam, I provided for this sailor the same as I provided to the other off-duty sailors, what meager ale I had to share. I cannot take responsibility for his current state.

Andrej said...

"That is to say, I'm sure the small amount Maximillian gave was not enough to result in such a stupor."

Alexis said...

"Steward!" says the Captain. "Who here is responsible for allocating the rations allowed the sailors aboard this ship?"

The Steward: "I am, Captain!"

The Captain: "And who approves those rations?"

"You do, Captain!"

The Captain looks at Maximillian. "And are you aware that this man -" she points at the apparently inebriated sailor standing beside the druid; "- suffers from a condition where the slightest amount of alcohol renders him DRUNK?"

Lukas said...

Lukas bites his lip stifling a comment. Perhaps better to wait till later.

Maximillian said...

"No, Captain."

Alexis said...

Still to Maximillian: "Did you clear it with the Steward before adding to this man's rations?"

Maximillian said...

No captain.

Alexis said...

"Did you clear it with ME?"

Maximillian said...

"No, Captain. Did he?"

I think that this point is where it makes sense to play my conflict cards. Can you play only a single action card per round, or can you add a second action as a modifier to the first in addition to other modifiers?

Maximillian said...

Considering the number of cards she's likely to have, on second thought I'm not going to risk angering her and worsening any punishment. I'll continue with the "Yes Captain, No Captain"s until she gives more indication of her intentions.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I presume you're stepping out of character at that moment because I'm making you nervous - but you know it disrupts the emotional tension)

"If you want to take on the privileges of being Captain and bestowing on my crew whatever you like, you can experience the other part of it too. Bos'n - take seaman Praest to the bottom hold and chain him. He can have two dozen lashes in the morning. And have Mr. Boii sit with him overnight and make sure he's comfortable."

To the druid she'll say, "I'll make sure you get a good look in the morning. Now get out!"

Maximillian said...

(yes, sorry I forgot the parens)

As we're being lead away, I express my displeasure to the sailor. "A fine way to repay a kindness, wretch."

Alexis said...

The Bos'n, who's leading you down to the bottom of the ship, remarks, "This man's about to take a whipping for you, because you never took account of where you are and what it takes to manage a ship. You think we came through the last storm by luck and a prayer? The Captain's discipline brought us through it, and you saunter along the decks as though these men are your personal gamesmen to play with. They're HER men, you supercilious fool ... and when you watch this one die on the rack tomorrow, you might give a thought to what you're thoughtless temptation has lost this ship!"

Maximillian said...

"Bourne to Praest was ale
to wet his lips with thanks.
Wreched Praest grew pale
no thought for steadfast ranks.
Blind to fate he mustn't be
knowing blows she bring'st he.
Bear his burdens now must we
when his temptations snared me."

Maximillian said...

(OOC: I applaud you, Alexis. That sequence was exactly what should have happened. I've read enough sea-stories that I really should have seen it coming, but I was completely taken off guard, and that really built tension as I went through the stages of incomprehension to indignation to resignation. At first I thought this was a mugging, and I was going to be dumped overboard.

I have to say though, I'm really looking forward to a fair fight! (Or if not fair, at least an open battle))

James C. said...

The bos'n having said it all, Andrej remains silent. Sofia moves to speak on behalf of the sailor, knowing something about the temptation of drink, but thinks better of it, shooting Maxamilian an angry look instead.

Andrej intends to be on hand for the lashings. He asks Madame Salvador for the opportunity to hear Praest's confession prior to their commencing in the AM.

Alexis said...

There is no requirement for anyone except the druid to be on-hand for the punishment. Of course, the captain is bound to lose respect for anyone "hiding out" due to their weak stomachs.

The night won't be much use to Maximillian's knowledge - the fellow soon after being put below gets sick several times, and though Maximillian can clean it up, the smell will last until morning.

I'm more or less ready to put up the next post. Does anyone have any issue they'd like to clear up before morning?


Ahmet said...

Ready to move on!

James C. said...

Yes, will the captain allow Andrej time to hear the drunken sailor's confession prior to the lashings?

Maximillian said...

I'm ready.

Lukas said...

Ready after Andrej's question is answered.

Alexis said...

Madam will allow Andrej to offer last rites when the sun rises, before the punishment occurs.

I'll be about two hours before getting the next post up.

Andrej said...

Great, then ready for the next post.

Alexis said...

The next post is up.