Friday, December 28, 2012

Isarco Road, Round 7


Hichem takes into view everything that's happening now ... and at this point needs to make a morale check.  His morale, I believe, is 9.  Could Andrej please roll a 2d6 to see what Hichem will do next round.

#6, who was not held, loads his bow and aims.  He and #8 accounted for the two shots that missed in the previous round.

#5 did not fire last round, nor did #4.  Both let loose into the magic user Lukas.  They both hit AC 5.  #5 is using a short bow, and does 6 damage.  The second arrow does 2 damage.  That is 8 altogether, and Lukas is stunned from the first shot.  He falls back into hex 1415.

#3 loads his bow and takes a bead on Ahmet.

#2 swings his mace at Ahmet.  He leaps and lands a blow that hits AC 0 and does a powerful 10 damage - tit for tat. Ahmet slides back into hex 1014 and must make a dexterity check.

As #2 has four movement, he uses his other two to back away from Sofia into hex 0915.

Meanwhile, #1 moves to hex 0713 to swing at Sofia, making a successful dexterity check as he passes through 0613.  He rolls a 2 on Sofia and misses.



Ahmet and Lukas are stunned.  I need that dex check from Ahmet.  I need that 2d6 roll from Hichem (rolled by Andrej).

And if Ahmet fails the dexterity check, you know that Andrej will have to make one too.  (This is the moment where as a DM, I would get out of my chair and lean close to the die roll to make sure personally what the result was).

Sofia is free to take any action she will.

54 comments:

Lukas said...

Lukas now unwillingly/willingly takes a face full of dirt at -1 health.

Ahmet said...

D20: 7

Ahmet said...

FYI: Now at 7 HP.

Alexis said...

Ahmet manages to keep himself from tumbling into Andrej. At the moment, however, the Turk's big bulk is in Andrej's way, and he must waste another three movement climbing into a different hex than 1014.

Alexis said...

Lukas, you're still quite conscious ... but you will make much less of a target flat upon the road.

Lukas said...

You will definitely remain prone.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Worst pick-up line ever!)

Lukas said...

Oops sorry tried the speech to text. How it turned I to you is interesting. Lukas remains prone.

James C. said...

2d6:4

Had Sofia been within 20' Hichem would have a +2 morale.

Sofia backs up into 0914, two daggers drawn.

Andrej climbs to 1113 and tosses his mace into hex 1114. "Take it, please. Take whatever you want, just stand down."

Alexis said...

Andrej hears #1 say, "Will you swear by God that you will cease hostilities, Father?"

James C. said...

Andrej: "I swear by God that if you cease attacking us I will do likewise."

Sofia: "I swaer it to"

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Just letting you know I'm here today, even though Ahmet is stunned.)

Oddbit said...

(I am totally here, even though I'm cowering)

Alexis said...

#2 will come forward to 1015 and will tell Ahmet to drop his weapon and shield. #1 will move to 0813, look across at both men and say, "Fear not. My men will not harm you. But divest yourself of all your weapons. Release my men, Father, and make no move to cast further spells.

Ahmet said...

"This is the blade of Kemal Reis! It is not to be tossed aside like some child's plaything." He sheathes the scimitar.

Alexis said...

"Then we shall remember to bury it with you!" answers back #1.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet apparently regards this from #1 not as a threat but as a concession, which he accepts with a nod. "Agreed," he says. "I swear by Allah I will abide to this truce."

Lukas said...

Lukas will fiddle with his quiver attempting to remove it. Of coarse the many arrows sticking out of him are an impediment.

James C. said...

Andrej tosses his maces and bullets aside, and climbs back up to the trail. His sling he leaves folded up in his belt pouch. Afterall, it is not really a weapon without ammunition.

Sofia tosses her daggers aside.

Alexis said...

"Very well then, my friends," says #1 to Ahmet and Andrej. "Free my men from your spell, and surrender ALL your weapons ... or shall my bowmen finish you? And afterwards we shall find your body in the chasm."

He lifts his arm, preparing to drop it.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet drops all his weapons save Dilmek, which he hands over to #2 still in its scabbard.

Andrej said...

Andrej releases the men.

Alexis said...

#1 will wave down his men, hang his own mace on his belt, and move to offer Ahmet a hand to bring him back onto the road.

"It is unfortunate that things have arrived at these circumstances," he says. "I'm afraid that I must insist now that you accept my hospitality at my home."

Ahmet said...

Ahmet takes the offered hand and moves back to the road. He looks dubious about #1's offer, but it's not like they have a choice.

Alexis said...

Your experience from the combat:

Ahmet: 1,670 x.p.
Andrej: 944 x.p.
Lukas: 944 x.p.
Sofia: 224 x.p.

Andrej said...

Andrej perhaps notices the look of dubious resignation upon his friend's face. "Indeed, Ahmet, we have little choice. I suppose if he truly meant us harm we would already be dead, though."

To #1 "I, Father Andrej of Cummana accept, though I would like to know my host's name before I receive his hospitality."

Alexis said...

"I am Hadji Lazaro," says #1. "Please come this way." He will lead the party towards the two trees in the upper left corner of the map. #2 will wait to follow behind.

Andrej said...

Sofia helps Hichem gather the horses while Andrej follows Hadji.

"Forgive my directness, but I am curious and feel that having spilled one another's blood already perhaps we are beyond normal pleasantries. Lazaro sounds Italian enough, but Hadji is a name I had long associated with muslim arabs. It is a curious combination."

Lukas said...

944xp means I just leveled.

Lukas will get up and slowly make his way following his companions and attempting to help lead horses.

He will cast a few nasty glances at any archers that try and draw near.

Andrej said...

(OOC: I meant to say "Italian and Christian enough" above, Lazaro sounding like a latin form for Lazarus.)

Andrej said...

Also, assuming Lukas can move or be helped, Andrej will give him a cure light wounds once we get settled. I'll roll for it when ready.

Alexis said...

Sofia finds herself opposed by #2, who has just indicated that Lukas and Hichem move forward to join the others. Lazaro will say, "Do not worry about the horses. They will be returned to you."

He explains quite sharply that his men will manage them. Neither he, nor #2, even bother to collect the weapons from the ground.

IF the party can be reconciled to leaving the horses alone, Lazaro will add, "Questions can wait for dinner, Father. I know you are quite rash, but there are matters to attend to first, and we have a climb ahead of us."

Alexis said...

Lukas ... congratulations. You're owed two spells, I believe, a first and a second for fourth level, and two cantrips. I roll 1 personal and 1 reversed cantrip.

Take note that you are being closely watched by the bowmen that struck you before.

Andrej said...

Fair enough, questions and horses can wait. Sofia re-joins the party and directs Hichem to follow her.

As for the healing spell, I must insist Andrej be able to cast that now to help sustain our friend the mage before any arduous climb. Assuming that's OK:

1d4+4: 7

Alexis said...

You will DEFINITELY not be allowed to cast any spells.

In case you haven't noticed, you're prisoners. I recognize parties don't like to act like it, but if you don't do as your told, I'm going to have to shoot you.

Alexis said...

Playing that what you say is what you do, Hadji will punch Andrej in the face as he tries to cast. He hits, does 1 hit point of damage, and ruins the spell.

Andrej said...

Lukas was negative hit points. My understanding was given that he could not make any climb, let alone move more the a step or take a half action, I forget which. Unless Hadji has a plan for that, too, it'll be a slow climb.

Andrej said...

Taking the punch, is that 11 more experience points? ;)

Alexis said...

Remember that negatives reduce a person's stats by 10% per point below zero ... negatives do not render a person weak and helpless. Someone with -9 hit points coulds till technically fight ... though at 10% of their strength they'd have trouble hitting anything. At -4 or lower, you have to roll under your adjusted hit points to remain conscious ... but it is already established that Lukas IS conscious, so he would be able to climb. In any case, it's Lazaro's problem now, isn't it?

Plus, please note, Lukas went up a level. He's entitled to increase his hit points by a d4+2.

The punch is more experience points, but if we have to fight again at this point, I'm going to hold off.

"You are most stubborn, Father," says Lazaro. "I would hate to have to leave one of you behind to make a point. But I had your word you would take no more aggressive action." Please note, that even if you were healing your friend, Lazaro cannot tell one cleric spell from another!

Andrej said...

I don't intend to fight, not.

"I gave my word and I meant it, Hadji, this day is yours. The spell was meant to heal my friend, who was brought near to death by your arrows. Hasty perhaps, but by no means a break of our truce."

Alexis said...

He seems unconvinced. "Perhaps ... but if any of you tries to spell again, I shall leave one of you in the canyon. Come on."

#3 and #4 will back up as the party moves forward. If there's no more to be done here, I'll move forward to the next post.

Andrej can take 40 x.p.

Alexis said...

Actually, belay that x.p. I think I'll spread it around. Andrej can take 28; Ahmet and Lukas 6 each and Sofia can take 3.

Alexis said...

There's a narrow slot in the wall behind the tree. Can I get a committal from Ahmet and Lukas that you're willing to climb up through it?

And Lukas, please roll your added hit points, and let me know what spells you're taking.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'll have to double-check when I get home, but I believe I only needed about 1,000 XP to make Level 5 -- just broke 18,000.)

Lukas said...

Darn, I was hoping to get a Legerdemain. There are a few good ones I hope to get at some point.

Lukas knows better than to move in a suspicious manner. Hopefully the 4 he got on his HP will add immediately to bring him up to 3hp?

I'd like some elaboration on the Mount Spell. It summons interesting mounts, but says they are typical for their species. Does this mean they A: require food and B: can only be ridden by someone of the appropriate class (aka can I ride a hippogriff from that spell?)

For the second Level I will be choosing Material.

Cantrips: Dust and Unlock

Lukas said...

Sorry that took a bit of research being at work and all.

I will follow as compliant as possible, but giving plenty of dirty looks as possible.

Lukas said...

AKA I go in, furthermore if my captors demand something I intend to comply until further notice.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Butch, I'm not sure what kind of character you were thinking to roll up for your devoted henchman, but I've been mulling over the idea of dropping Andrej's armor to take better advantage of higher movement for spell casting, missile fire and two weapon use.

When we first started out together, and even before that when the other regular character in the game was a bard, Andrej was needed more as a front-rank fighter and damage sponge but now that Ahmet has surpassed him in both experience and fighting prowess, I'm thinking Andrej might be better utilized as a primary spellcaster/ bullet slinger from the second rank.

Don't feel compelled to act on that info, you must be happy with your character, but IF you were considering a front-rank type don't be dissuaded from it if you believe Andrej is already helping to fill that role.)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I know party-wise, we really need another warrior-type. But I'm already playing a warrior, so I wanted to do something different. My first thought was a spell-caster... but we already lean heavily in that direction with you and Lukas.

My second thought was to make a thief or assassin to fill the role of a scout as well as being able to provide missile support, which we've sorely needed. But presumably Sofia will (eventually) take on the scouting role.

I know Alexis's advice would be to make the character I want and not worry about the party's composition. Plus we have (I think) some new players joining us, yes?

But in any event, it seems a little premature to roll up an NPC as we may be heading toward a shallow grave anyway!)

Andrej said...

(OOC: My advice also is to play the character you want. We really do have the bases covered at least minimally in all regards. Part of my wanting Andrej to drop back and sling was to help with the sore lack of missile fire (both Lukas and Sofia throw things, at least) but a bowman would be even better, so if that's your desire go with it... shallow graves notwithstanding)

Maximillian Boii said...

(Fyi, my character is a druid)

Maximillian Boii said...

(Also, I bring a shortbowman hireling)

Alexis said...

JUMPING THE GUN, JUMPING!

Please do not spoil surprises

Andrej said...

"The muslim I can take... he's at least a child of Abraham, albeit a misguided one. But a heathenish priest? God give me strength!"

:-)