Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Pleasant Afternoon in the Main Valley

October 15, 1650, Wednesday night

Weather:  with cool temperatures and clear conditions, with a light breeze.

Throughout Tuesday night, you keep watches, but you see no more of the wolves, nor any sign the next day.

You wake again in the morning to another storm, a steady hard rain with a strong breeze, disrupting your breakfast.  Throughout the early afternoon, however, despite some threatening clouds, the breeze falls off and grows sweet smelling and clean.  By late afternoon, though it remains overcast, the temperature is actually pleasant ... you remove your coats and ride pleasantly.  As you find yourselves near an inn on the road at the end of the day, the sky is clear, you can see stars, and there's no sign that it's rained that day.  It is cool, yes, but not near as brisk as it has been.

Perhaps it is from being on the south side of the Harz Mountains.

Moreover, as you come down the slopes onto the Hessian plain, passing into lands held by the House of Darmstadt, Andrej becomes more and more convinced that you're bound to pass by Frankfurt today.  The density of the population increases, fields reach to the horizon in every direction, and there are thousands of cattle.  Sure enough, as you enjoy the weather, the spires of Frankfurt appear ten miles away.  You circle the city and its 50,000 buildings, plus the many stockyards, warehouses and fishing docks that extend outwards from the great town.  The party takes a ferry across the Main River, and Andrej leads them off the main road onto a secondary road, to follow the Main up to Ascapha.  You haggle at the border with two guards before ending the Bishopric of Wurzburg, and reach the aforementioned Inn - the White Cup.  Here is where Andrej stayed on a prior occasion, after departing a barge that took him downstream from Wurzburg.

May I presume you rest here again?  Alternately, you can camp on the bank of the Main.

I haven't got a critical file I need to determine Ascapha's market, but I can tell you a private room is 6 s.p., stabling is 5 c.p. and feed for a light warhorse/riding horse is 9 c.p.  Let us presume you eat your own food, hm?



38 comments:

Andrej said...

If the party can stomach another day of Andre's create food and water spell, that works for me. Cash deducted for both Andrej and Sofia.

Alexis said...

I had forgotten to include fees and tolls.

There was just two: a s.p./person to cross into Wurzburg, and 3 s.p./person to cross the Main River, and 1 g.p. per animal to cross the Main River.

When I'm confirmed about everyone paying costs for these and the Inn, I'll continue.

Ahmet said...

Can we just call it 3 g.p. a person for fees/tolls/inn/stables?

Ready to move on!

Andrej said...

All paid up and ready to go.

Alexis said...

Pay whatever you want, Ahmet, but pay the minimum.

Lukas, Janos?

Andrej said...

Doh! I just over-wrote my blog character info with my updated equipment... that is, I lost everything recent about Andrej. Alexis, do you have my updated xp, hit point totals etc... that you could send me? My offline sheet is pretty our of date.

Alexis said...

No, I'm afraid I don't keep character records.

And I don't have your original data about your character background because my computer crashed long ago.

Make the best estimates you can and go with those.

Lukas said...

updating my gold now with fees.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Dang. I'm pretty sure I have the right hit points @ 43 but XP I'm guessing around 15K.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I have a meeting that will run about two hours)

Quickly, as someone in the Inn discovers you're heading east, they'll mention that there's been some trouble out that way. Apparently, food has been short in the hills above Wurzburg and Nuremburg (can't look up the name right now), and there are humanoid tribes plundering granaries all along the Main Valley.

I'll leave you with that and come back sometime about 2:30 EST.

Lukas said...

Talk about disappointed when they hit us... You mean you only have HORSE food?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I think they mean they only have horses FOR food...)

While we're chatting with the locals, Ahmet brings up the "dancing wolf" and his mate that seemed so interested in following the party. Ahmet freely admits that it's possible they were just following in the hope of finding garbage or jumping a straggler, but it did seem like odd behavior.

Hopefully another member of the party stops him before he advances his own peculiar theories.

Andrej said...

Andrej keeps his nose in his mug, concealing a smile, and let's the mighty turk advance his peculiar theories.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'm here now if anyone has any queries).

The mountains to the north that I mentioned are the Thuringerwald.

Ahmet said...

"...which is why I suggest keeping wolvesbane in your trousers," Ahmet concludes at last.

He casts a sideways glance around the room, looking for anyone who seems to have a particularly wolfish cast to his features.

Alexis said...

I'm guessing that everyone is good about moving forward ... just to remind you, the route you plan to take is up the Main Valley.

Ahmet said...

I'm down with bashing some humanoids.

If they have food in town here, perhaps we should buy some -- we don't need it ourselves thanks to Andrej, but I'm sure you do-gooders will want to distribute it among the starving villagers.

Ahmet said...

I take it that none of the locals have any comment on the odd wolf behavior? Or perhaps it was an early indication of the lack of food about.

Lukas said...

Do gooder? Only in so far as it isn't TOO inconvenient. I mean, pounding raiders to let the food through sounds like my kind of do gooding. Actually transporting food for free... Well...

But yes, perhaps we should bring some food. I mean maybe we could use it to buy off the raiders if they seem too numerous or capable.

Ahmet said...

Yeah, food is probably the best currency if times are as hard as they say.

You know at some point Andrej is going to want to do his loaves and fishes schtick with the locals, so if nothing else we'll have to pack in food to feed ourselves. ;)

Or we could pick another route...

Andrej said...

I'm thinking pick another route.

Alexis, querying the locals... would a route south to Mannenheim, Heidelberg then cutting east through Wurttmemberg for Nuremberg avoid the trouble?

Alexis said...

If you tell me what you'd like to purchase, I can give you a price.

Mannenheim, Heidelberg, Heilbronn and east to Nuremberg is an alternative route. Longer, though.

Ahmet said...

How much longer would it take, and any word on trouble in those parts?

Alexis said...

It is really difficult to say; there are no road maps available, and the local populace can pretty much only say, "Well, that would take longer, but it would get you there."

Alexis said...

Lukas, incidentally, would probably know the road south of Heidelberg ... its likely that's the road he would have taken to come up from Switzerland.

Andrej said...

I'm guessing about 30-50% longer.

Ahmet said...

Aw, come on, where's your sense of adventure! There's humanoids to slay, villagers to rescue, maidens to deflower...

Andrej said...

I hear you Ahmet. I guess with the ranger up front we can maybe avoid walking straight into an ambush...

Alexis said...

Decision? Lukas and Janos seem awol today.

Andrej said...

Aww, what the hell. Let's do it Ahmet.

I say we take the Main Valley.

Ahmet said...

Booya!

We gotta level up your monk somehow ;)

Alexis said...

(OOC: for encounters, I have been rolling one die a hex ... so there's only a chance of catching something along the way if I happen to roll a die that indicates it.

Also, I've been using a general roll of 1 = vermin; 2 = benign event; 3-4 = animal; 5-7 = humanoid; 8 = threatening event; 9 = authority; 10 = intelligent villain ... in order to control the variety of possible events. Thus, if I don't roll the right kind of encounter, you may not have anything to worry about.

It is just to keep me from automatically railroading you with the standard D&D trope of rumor = guaranteed adventure)

Andrej said...

You mean you're not an adventure-dispensing pez machine?

Alexis said...

(OOC: well, the dice are. I still have to figure out what kind of vermin, right?)

I'm sure the remainder of the party will agree with you both, but let me give them both a bit of time. I'll work up the next day of travel - these things take a bit.

Ahmet said...

After the incident with the pig, I shudder at the thought of another of your "benign events." :)

Alexis said...

(OOC: that was technically "animal")

Lukas said...

I am good with going through the dangerous territory.

(OOC: Sorry, late night last night. Girlfriend's computer decided to die. Reinstalled the OS and it decided to boot once. I think its the mobo :( )

Alexis said...

The next post is up.