Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Stream At Celle

October 12, 1650, late afternoon Sunday
Weather: with cool temperatures and a brief drizzle, with a light breeze

The party is awoken in the morning of the 12th by a freezing rain; the morning storm is wet and drops a fifth of an inch of rain, dousing the camp.  Thankfully, it's no worse that a strong breeze, and despite the flapping of tents and such, the party diligently breaks camp, shivering and damp.  Andrej is mindful that it is Sunday, and when the rain ends at midday, he holds the party up for two hours to give services.  Those members of the party who have accepted catholicism join in.

Andrej was last in Calenburg in June, when it was green and lush.  Now the leaves have fallen over the road, and the horse's feet crunch the leaves as they ride.  As you pass through Munster-an-der-Ortze (the other Munster), past companions are dimly remembered.  It's been a month since the battle in Arnsberg ... already one month.  The party feels strangely old and mature, perhaps more than they've ever felt.  They're like their mentors now, people who have seen some significant part of the world and who have tales to tell both pleasant and unpleasant.  And it has only been a few months.

South of Munster-an-der-Ortze, the road leads to Celle.  South of here, Andrej recalls there's a fork that goes either to Hildesheim, the road Andrej knows, and Brunswick.  You reach Celle by mid-afternoon, and there the party dismounts and waters the horses in the Aller River.  From here, the ground climbs above the wet heath of Lower Saxony, to drier parkland.  There's a ford across the river that does not cost money to cross.  The party hopes they can make the aforementioned fork before dark.

Aller River
As the party watches the horses, and eats a bit of food Andrej had created, they find themselves joined on the river by an old knight.  Without dismounting, he urges his horse into the stream about twenty years from you, and lets the horse drink.  The knight is well past his sixties; he wears armor nearly as old as he is, and has a sword in a scabbard that is so worn it shows part of the blade.  The helmet he wears has a few dents in it.  His clothes are expensively made, but have not been cleaned in ages.  A fairly heavy, but rumpled sheepskin coat is wrapped around his shoulders, untied in the front.  The knight nods his acknowledgement to the party, and returns his attention to staying on his horse as he drinks.


27 comments:

Alexis said...

I have a few details to wrap up.

1) I did not work out the price of melting down the helmet. The reality is also that it probably would have taken a week to get it done, meaning waiting three more days - and I believe I will have Serafina hear of the plan, and encourage Andrej not to do it. "These things from the past are valuable," she will say. "And we do not need gifts from you, Father. Keep it. There may be more in its presence than we can guess at."

I'll still have it done, if you want, because I should have said this before leaving Lubeck, but it got caught in the cracks. I'll give you a price if you still want to do it.

2) I have added a link on the subject of feeding your horses, which can be read on the side. The bulk of the food can be picked from the side of the road, but we will follow the website and say that your horses each need 2% of their body weight in grains that you carry along ("feed"). For the riding horses, that's 2 lb. a day for travel, and 3 lb. if the horse is involved in a battle. For the light warhorses, kick that up to 2 1/2 lb., and 4 lb. if they're involved in a battle. Let me know if you need more feed - you're passing through trading towns more or less continuously (both Hamburg and Luneburg were marketplaces).

Alexis said...

3) Andrej, with regards to Sofia. If you are waiting for me to tell you what she does or thinks, like I did with Emmanuel, just be aware that she is now YOUR character - and as I don't say what Andrej thinks, the same is true for Sofia. She thinks whatever you wish her to think, just as you play Andrej.

Andrej said...

1) That's cool, I wouldn't mind you working it out as a future option but I'm not hard over on it now. It was just a nice and symbolic way of wrapping things up in my mind as Andrej closes one book and opens another. The trip through Calenburg you wrote on above also addresses this. We can consider the helm and amulet safely in my saddle bags.

2) This is consistent with your previous ruling and I deducted 2 lbs. for yesterday. Will up it to 2 1/2 and if anybody needs horse feed we had plenty that I took from the old cart.

3) Noted. I didn't expect you would play her, I just haven't yet gotten into the habit of playing her.

Andrej said...

Andrej likewise nods to the old cavalier, "A poor time to be upon the road, sir knight. I hope necessity does not drive you too far from your home with the winter nearly upon us."

Alexis said...

"Nay, sir, I go to my winter home." He smiles as though he has made a jest. "Winter is nearly upon us, is it not?"

Andrej said...

'Indeed." Not quite getting the joke, Andrej goes about his business, keeping one eye on the curious knight.

Sofia eats her food without rushing, but with purpose and then mediates while her companions finish up their own.

Lukas said...

Lukas will look to the man, listen to Andrej's exchange, then attend to his horses.

János said...

Alexis, was this knight traveling in the same direction as us along the road, or the opposite?

Janos leaves his horses for a moment and ambles closer to the knight along the bank of the river. "Tell me, friend, do you have a name? It is rare to encounter men of such noble bearing upon the road," he says, obviously being a bit generous with his compliment.

"I am Kaszás János," he adds, bowing slightly.

Alexis said...

You're not certain which direction the knight was travelling.

He backs his horse around, to climb out of the river again, and it's clear from his face that it causes him pain to do it. "I am Luis Ruiz de Gonferraldo," he answers, though there isn't a hint of spanish in his speaking pattern; he may look a bit from that country, but it can hardly be told.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I meant to add a pic to the blog post and forgot. You can find one there now)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Any signs of Sancho Panza?)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I knew I should have made him Bulgarian)

Andrej said...

:)

János said...

"I must admit, I find it hard to place your accent, good Sir. If you don't mind my asking, where have you come from, and what business brings you along this road?"

Andrej said...

Andrej also bows and introduces himself, "Father Andrej."

Sofia as well, "Sofia Koleva."

Alexis said...

"South, Sir! I am bound south. And it is the road that brings me, not my business, to lands of olives and wine."

Alexis said...

Ruiz will acknowledge Andrej, but it's somewhat plain that he's not especially anxious to speak to a priest.

Andrej said...

Hmmm... curious, that. Andrej will continue to go about his business, keeping eyes and ears open as Janos prods the knight.

Andrej said...

Sofia pretends to return to her meditation, curious about the knight and wanting to be ready should her new companions need her.

János said...

"We happen to be headed southward ourselves, Sir. Perhaps you'd ride alongside us until our ways part—good company is always welcome, I say."

Alexis said...

"Oh, I think not young man. I shall make my way leisurely, whereas the young must arrive everywhere the very hour they depart. I have no such ambition."

He rides his horse out of the stream, sitting quite stiff in the saddle. "I wish you a good day."

And thus he departs.

János said...

"Good day to you too then, sir."

Janos returns to his horses, looking to Andrej with a mildly perplexed shrug. He saddles up and prepares to get moving whenever his companions are set.

Lukas said...

I am ready when everyone else is as well.

Ahmet said...

I'm back!

What an interesting fellow.

Ready to move on as well.

Alexis said...

With my next post, I'm going to presume that the party takes the fork to Hildesheim, and follows the same general path which Andrej took before. Does anyone have any objection with this?

Andrej said...

Hildesheim it is.

Alexis said...

Turns out, that decision doesn't need to be made yet. The next post is up.