Friday, August 3, 2012

After the Magic & Crossbows

September 19, 1650, before midnight Friday
Weather: with cool temperatures and a steady drizzle, with a moderate breeze

At the moment the bolts fly, the eyes disappear and there is splashing heard everywhere;  Klaas's second shot is completely blind, as he cannot see a thing to shoot at (but being zero level and somewhat concerned, he shoots anyway).

[For the record, I should point out that I never did get a 2d6 roll for Klaas, to see if his morale is up to it - so I rolled myself]

That is it.  Nothing else seems to happen.  There is no advance from the creatures that the party is able to see.  The party can detect no movement that disturbs the surface of the water, given that it is dark, and the continues to be a very light rain.  The party is getting more damp, and Ahmet, who entered the water, is beginning to shiver.

I don't want to push the time that passes, for I don't want to invest the party, but no matter what you may do, I promise you that for five minutes, nothing happens.

42 comments:

Andrej said...

I'm not going into that bog and we need to rest so I propose we try to do so now. How about we post two at a time to watch, at least one dwarf or me on each detail for the improved night vision?

something like:

Erdina/ Andrej
Batath/ Klaas
Ermeth/ Ahmet
Kushi/ Lukas

Janos just sort of there but not there or we can swap him in fro Klaas, I guess.

Ahmet said...

Aww, I was hoping Ahmet would be paired with Kushi :)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I want to make something happen just now, but it is somewhat involved, and I don't want to try and squeeze it in today.

Can anyone tell me, do Americans get Monday off; we do)

Andrej said...

Not I. Tuesday is fine for me, however, for the sake of not rushing.

Lukas said...

(OOC: I do not.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Let's run on Monday. I'll do it from home for a change)

Andrej said...

(OOC: That also works :) Enjoy the weekend, all.)

Lukas said...

I accept this watch plan.

Alexis said...

Start with Erdina and Andrej, then?

Ahmet said...

Aye

Andrej said...

Let's do it.

Alexis said...

You lay yourselves down, and your torches are driven into the soft ground to provide as much light as possible. The dwarves will do this even if the party does not.

Andrej and Erdina keep watch; but it is dark, and either standing behind the torches, or in front of them, makes it difficult to see.

It is perhaps five minutes before there is the sound of something slipping out of the water, perhaps 30 feet away ... and it is doubtful that Andrej hears it - roll a d20, O Cleric.

Andrej said...

d20: 3

Alexis said...

That was a successful wisdom check; Andrej can generally place the direction of the sound - but still cannot see anything in the water. However, he does see a bundle of something loop down out of the sky, about the size of a breadloaf. It hits the ground near Lukas, sounding like a ball of wet mud hitting a wall.

Lukas is not quite asleep when he and Kushi, lying beside him, are both splattered with wet mud. They arouse themselves, needing a moment to react.

Andrej holds up a torch, and sees on top of Lukas's torso a large, white grub, about six inches in size, rapidly eating its way through Lukas' blanket. Another one has landed on Kushi's arm ... and the dwarf has started to scream.

Ahmet said...

Do his screams wake up Ahmet, his player asks hopefully?

Alexis said...

No one has had time to fully go to sleep ... so yes, Ahmet is awake. He rolls over, unprepared, but seeing what Andrej does.

Andrej said...

I try to grab the blanket and fling it and the grub off of Lukas.

Lukas said...

Indeed, it is now time to start flinging of blankets and beating off of dwarf arms.

Alexis said...

Erdina flies towards Kushi; Kushi tries to pull the grub from his arm, but its teeth have closed and it does not come free.

"Let go, let go!" shouts Erdina.

For a moment Lukas felt the teeth of the grub before Andrej flung the blanket away. Ermeth crushes the creature underneath his foot; there's a hole about an inch in diameter on the blanket.

Andrej said...

Assuming Erdina or the others will help see to Kushi, Andrej grabs a torch and approaches the area from where the sound originated.

Alexis said...

As before, this would be out in the water.

Andrej said...

I stop short at the edge of the water. Do I see any movement? ripples on the surface of the water? a deeper cloudiness where mud may have been disturbed?

Alexis said...

As you raise your torch, seeing only the surface of the water, showing some signs of movement, you guess that whatever it is has dived under the surface again. You feel uncomfortable at the idea that something could be mere feet away ... or that there might be nothing there at all.

Lukas said...

If Lukas knows if the Yawn cantrip wont work against a grub, he will not do that. If he does not know, he will see if that can force it to loose it's grasp on Kushi.

Andrej said...

What rules would govern a forced march? What are we up against if we decide to break camp and keep moving?

Andrej said...

(OOC: Nice thinking, Lukas)

Alexis said...

Damn, that's brilliant!

Now that is using a cantrip. I can think of no reason why "yawn" wouldn't work.

Alexis said...

The worst effects of a forced march would a loss of hit points, the chance for each of you to contract a cold or pneumonia (tiny chance for the latter), and in Ahmet's case, still in wet clothes, possibly hypothermia.

Andrej said...

Guys, I think picking up and leaving is worth whatever risks there are in getting sick or injured. I'm not liking this at all.

Lukas said...

So, if it hasn't been said appropriately, Lukas casts yawn on the grub on Kushi.

I agree Andrej. At worst we'll have to hole up in the big city for a few extra days for illnesses.

Alexis said...

As the worm lets go, Erdina pulls it free and crushes it against the ground.

There are two other grubs that did not happen to land on party members. Apparently, they were thrown in a ball of mud wrapped inside leaves, tied together with vines.

Andrej said...

If Ahmet agrees we need to book, I start breaking camp.

Lukas said...

I almost wish I could catch one of those for study... Shame that. Maybe someday I might make a lab for such things.

Andrej said...

::shaking head in disbelief::

"Mages"

::shaking head in disbelief::

Lukas said...

Hey, just saying, if it is so dangerous and frightening to US imagine what WE could do with it...

Alexis said...

When you get to Memel, Lukas, you will note that the glassmaker and the potter both sell containers which you can use for collecting such things (and I think tongs from the blacksmith's).

Awaiting Ahmet or Janos's confirmation ... I'll move forward with 3 out of 4 voices.

Ahmet said...

Go

Ahmet said...

There are two other grubs that did not happen to land on party members. Apparently, they were thrown in a ball of mud wrapped inside leaves, tied together with vines.

Grab those two if you're up to it, Lukas...

Alexis said...

Very well then,

You begin to pack up camp.

This brings some response from the creatures in the water. Batath reports that you're being watched again ... but this does not dissuade him or the other dwarves from pulling together their things.

You're not disturbed as you begin to move on.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Here is where the weather table really takes hold. Remember, at the moment I'm not using any system for wilderness damage effects - I just haven't been motivated to work on them. This is a good thing, given the way things play out from here.

I'm working on the next post; I should have it up in about 15-20 minutes at the most ... probably sooner, since I have no distractions.

Just for the record; haven't rolled a die yet. However, unlike other DMs I can say I have killed characters with disease brought on by wilderness conditions - I don't like doing it, but sometimes that's the way it rolls. The chance is small: 1 in 10 of getting a cold, 1 in 4 of that cold becoming pneumonia. Because Ahmet did not change his clothes after getting wet, his chance of catching cold is 2 in 10.

I'm going to assign damage as 1d6; double if you catch cold, and quadruple if you catch pneumonia. You'll know in a brief time)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet is assuming he had no dry clothes to change into. C'est la vie.

Lukas said...

If I die due to pneumonia I will be laughing. This is not because I don't like Lukas, but just because of the odds of that happening.