Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The 5th Opening

Ahmet once again opens the door.

Once again, the party finds themselves some 18 feet in the air, above the top of a hill.  The vegetation is somewhat similar to the 2nd Opening ... but where before oak dominated, now it is chestnut trees and maples; there are still a great many aspen.  Where before there were firs, now there are fat spruce, with the occasional cedar.  The forest is thinner, too, and there is more water visible than there was before.  The hill is no more than 50 to 75 feet in height, and the party can see fens with hay at the bottom of the slope.

The landscape is yet lush, and in the full colors of autumn.  The aforementioned hay is brown, as is most of the undergrowth you can see ... this seems somewhat further into the autumn than Germany, or the forest scene before.  But that could be a matter of being further north.

Once again, it is full day, but for the first time, it is overcast.  There's the hint that it might rain.  Janos tells you that he can smell the sea - the salt is blowing in upon the wind, which comes from the left of the doorway.  Janos can also attest to quite a great deal of humanoid traffic - marks upon trees, places where they've been cut from the forest, and even a broken cart he points out, nearly hidden by the trees across from the deluged hay meadow.

No one can be certain where you are - none have any experience with it.

It takes Ermeth to point out that something has changed about the walls of the room.  If you look intently at one place, you begin to believe you can actually see through the wall into the world outside - you cannot gain any detail of that world, but you are quite convinced the room has gained a certain "translucent" quality.

35 comments:

Lukas said...

"In my official opinion I believe the state of the walls would be considered a bad sign. However, we are also 18 feet in the air. This means that should we leave, returning may be a problem unless we can purchase an 18 foot ladder or leave someone behind with some rope.

On the bright side, this place looks more hospitable even though we don't know where we are."

Ahmet said...

I'm thinking we have one "jump" left. I wouldn't want to bet that the next stop will be better than this one, even if it takes us out of the fight for good. I'm for staying here.

Andrej, Janos?

Andrej said...

I'm guessing we're somewhere close to or within Asia and further north given the description. (Maybe my next character will be a ninja!)

We probably should have gotten off in Smolensk, but them's the breaks. This is as good a place as any.

"Rope?"

János said...

I'm all for getting off here. However curious I might be to see where else this thing can take us, we probably shouldn't push our luck.

Unfortunately, my rope is back with my horse...

Lukas said...

Sappers would have rope wouldn't they? Maybe?

One of my thoughts is we could return to check if the door 'recharges.'

Ahmet said...

Ahmet produces 50' of rope from his backpack. "Who is going to stay up here?"

Another problem -- since there's nothing in the room to tie the rope to, how will the person who is left behind get down?

Alexis said...

Batath will offer to stay up here. It's only an 18 foot drop, and he figures if he can land right, he should be able to avoid damage.

Andrej said...

I really don't see any point in returning to the door unless we figure out some way to use it. Once we get boots on the ground we should just figure out where we are and then decide whether or not that's where we'd like to be. The door, at least for me, is no longer a factor. I'm willing to hear arguments to the contrary, though.

Is there a tree nearby somebody could jump for and climb down, Alexis?

Ahmet said...

I like Lukas's idea about the door recharging over time. Who knows...

Alexis said...

No tree, but Batath repeats his offer. The dwarf weighs about 160 lbs, and feels he can use the edge of the doorway, plus a friend, as purchase to lower you down. Erdina's only 120 lbs; she can go next to last, 'cause Batath can handle her alone, and then he'll jump.

Andrej said...

But even a door with a full charge only gets us a few more chances to land in a few more random spots. I'd rather spend the time and effort figuring out where we are and getting to where we'd like to be in a more traditional fashion.

Andrej said...

I'm good with Batath's offer. Guys?

Lukas said...

Alright, I'm just saying, we have an portal here, and I'd hate to leave it behind.

My thought for the rope was to leave a few folks up to attend to the gate. But if we want to just trek out leaving this thing behind... Then we should all go down via Batath's offer.

Lukas said...

I'm alright with the trekking plan. Though it's a shame we can't at least inform Hornung we aren't dead, or confirm we disabled the stinger.

Alexis said...

On this I will definitely have to have confirmation from everyone. Janos's response seems to confirm, and so does Ahmet's ... but if I could hear from you both one last time, I'd be grateful.

We can then presume everyone is on the ground.

It won't make any difference who goes first - I don't intend to have anything attack you.

Andrej said...

I hear you Lukas. In Andrej's mind we did take out that stinger until somebody proves otherwise.

As far as getting word or selves back to Hornung, who knows... we might not be that far off. If our side lost the battle, though, this isn't such a bad place to be.

Though I do wonder about Emmanuel's fate... and all of our gear upon the cart (including the magical keg Ahmet, Silvius, Nine-Toes and I recovered from the frenchman.)

Andrej said...

Once on the ground, how about we have the dwarves figure out which way is north and then follow Janos's nose to the sea. Thoughts?

Ahmet said...

Once on the ground, Ahmet looks up. Is the portal still visible? Is it obvious, or more like a shimmer in the air that you only notice because you know where to look?

I also think we should check out the cart before heading for the sea.

Andrej said...

Andrej will check out the cart while Janos and the dwarves get their bearings and Ahmet examines the portal.

Alexis said...

At the point where Batath drops to the ground - in fact, just as he completely clears the door, before his feet touch earth, the room disappears.

The ground is fairly damp, and Batath has little trouble falling.

Ermeth will look up and remark to Lukas, "You suppose it goes home again?"

Before you make your way down the slope to look at the cart, Andrej, spare a moment to take note of the ship mast you can see about a quarter of a mile south, rising above the trees. As always, the door seems to have faced north (so the dwarves say), and this mast was not visible until you reached the ground.

János said...

Janos climbs down and begins to examine the signs of humanoid traffic, hoping perhaps to figure out if some footprints or cart tracks might indicate the direction of civilisation.

Andrej said...

Andrej points to the mast and nudges Ahmet in a jocular fashion "Turk, were you thinking about madame pirate when you opened that last door?"

Ahmet said...

"I'm always thinking about Madame Pirate," Ahmet mutters with a scowl that seems, somehow, wistful.

Andrej said...

Is the mast moving or stationary? How far off does it appear?

Alexis said...

Janos finds a path on the opposite side of the hill, the south side, and there are distinctly more feet pointed to the south on that path than pointed to the north. This would tend to indicate some kind of settlement nearby.

The cart, Erdina will determine, is sunk into the mud up to its axle, and appears to have been so for several years.

Ahmet said...

Is it empty? Any indications in it as to, well, what country we're in?

I'm sure the six of us could lift it out of the mud. Then all we need is an Emmanuel, a couple donkeys, and about 100,000 g.p. worth of stuff, and we're back in business!

"Well, let's head south."

János said...

"Perhaps we should investigate that mast first? Maybe we'll find some clues as to where in the world we've ended up."

Alexis said...

The mast is a quarter mile away ... it is difficult to tell if it is moving or not - 'tis possible, but only if it is doing so very slowly.

Alexis said...

Before I forget:

Ahmet should take 231 x.p.; he landed two shots on the tarn and its rider, and I haven't compensated him until now.

Alexis said...

Also, there is a new post; it is not part of the campaign, but it should be of interest.

Ahmet said...

The mast and the settlement are south, so I think that's the way to go.

János said...

Oh, I did not realise that. Southward it is, then!

Lukas said...

Let's go find us some civilization!

Andrej said...

Agreed. South it is.

Alexis said...

This is continued on the next post.