Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The 2nd Opening

As you open the handle ...

The door's entrance, once it looks out at the world, appears to be 11 feet above the ground.

You find yourself looking out at a lush, rich forest filled with mixed conifers - mostly firs - and deciduous trees, a mostly aspen and oak.  It appears to be autumn, as it should be, as the date you remember was September 12.  There is a warm sun, somewhat cooler than the desert was, but it glistens upon the leaves and the firm, grass-and-shrub covered ground.  The forest is not dense, but spacious, as a forest would be if woodcutters were gleaning trees regularly from the growth.  The ranger will note that he can see places where this was done.  Everyone in the party can see the trail below, of packed dry earth, a rich black in color - a color that would suggest very fertile earth.

The forest trees do not allow the party to see more than a hundred yards, and then only in some directions, enabled by the fact that you are high enough above the ground to see past the fatter parts of the fir trees.  The time, you would guess, would still be full day - but once again you cannot see the sun, just as before, from inside the cross-dimensional room.

Ermeth will push to the edge of the door - "This is like the forest on the way to Smolensk," he says.  "We went there once when I was a young boy."

21 comments:

Ahmet said...

Ahmet can't say "I told you so", because it was his player and not him who suspected that closing the door and opening it again would lead to somewhere else.

Lukas said...

I persist in questioning the use of such a function, unless of coarse if the original source did not have a specific use.

The forest make sense, the desert does not, I guess we'll see where else we can go...

Alexis said...

At this point, Lukas, I can rely on your mage's training and intelligence to provide a possible answer to this puzzle.

It would appear that the gate opens upon, perhaps, a random location - and that someone familiar with the gate, who possibly knew how to control it, would be able to make the door open where they wanted ... but not having that knowledge, you are at the gate's mercy.

Lukas said...

Lukas shares this information. "I wonder if it is at all particularly complicated given those men were using it. Furthermore, I question how long until we open this gate to somewhere hostile..."

Lukas said...

"Finally, if we COULD control it, I wonder if we could open it to Hornung's forces... Then open it back to somewhere in the castle?"

János said...

Janos pokes his head out of the door and looks around for any signs of recent human traffic.


I'm thinking that we should continue trying the door until it brings us somewhere useful. Worst case scenario, if the door opens up somewhere we don't like, we always have an instant means of escape.

Lukas said...

What if it's the elemental plane of fire? How's that escape plan work?

Lukas said...

(OOC: BTW anyone ever watch Sliders? I got a wonderful image suddenly...)

James C. said...

Maybe its as simple as thinking about the place you want it to take you.

Ahmet said...

I was thinking that, although none of us apparently felt a kinship to the barren desert. Maybe because we weren't thinking anything? Andrej... think of Madame Pirate's quarters aboard her ship. Preferably in the evening. ;)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Yes, watched Sliders. Cool show from what I remember.)

True about the barren desert, but Alexis did say above we'd be at the mercy of the portal if we did not know how to control it... so rather than the gate plucking some location from the backs of our minds, it looks like it just goes to some random place. Maybe even some place its been before?

Despite concerns regarding the Elemental Planes, I think it might be worth a try Lukas for one of us to try controlling the gate. Don't ask me how, precisely, but you're the wizard... you figure it out. ;)

Alexis said...

I'll just wait until given instructions or a question, shall I?

Andrej said...

Seems reasonable to me.

I'm willing to try myself, but a) suspect the magic user will have a better chance and b) won't do so until we get at least a mojority consensus that we should try.

Andrej said...

(OOC: mojority: mo·jor·i·ty
   [mow-jawr-i-tee, -jor-] noun, plural mo·jor·i·ties.
1. The state of being when the greater part one's aura is defined by their obvious sexual prowess, self-confidence or self-assurance.)

Alexis said...

I hadn't considered the influence of sexual prowess in this situation, but I suppose the Bishop's proclivities must somehow balance the expected solution.

I am wondering what is definition (2.)

Andrej said...

2. The condition where greater than half of the individuals in a defined group are said to posses a sufficient amount of mojo.

Lukas said...

You know Andrej, the bishop isn't a wizard.. Erm... He's kinda a cleric most likely.

ANYHOW, if you really want Lukas can think really hard and open a door. He might even be good at it.

Lukas will think really hard about the town outside the castle. Preferably a spot that was likely controlled by Hornung that they have been to.

While doing this he will ensure both doors are closed, then open the resulting openable door, unless anyone objects.

Andrej said...

No objections and a good point, Lukas, but I'd counter that the bishop may not be the creator and user of the portal. If you strike out I'll give it a shot, though.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet readies his crossbow just in case this foolproof plan doesn't work. ;)

Alexis said...

I don't want to steamroll over any objections Janos might make ... I trust he will forgive me taking a mojority opinion here.

Give me fifteen and I'll have the next post up.

Alexis said...

The next post is up.