Thursday, July 26, 2012

Emerging From the Woods

It takes very little time, a mere two hundred paces, before the party stumbles across a stony clay path that originates next to five huts on the edge of the wood.  There are a few old women who look up from their dough-making when four humans, a half-orc and four dwarves emerge from the trees.  They seem undisturbed by this, and go on working.  They appear to be in eastern European dress - colorful patterns, bright reds and yellows, wearing Hollar caps, apron-petticoats and slightly pointed shoes.

The path leads directly towards the edge of a mighty river, 250 yards distant.  The river is hundreds of yards wide - the ship mast that was seen earlier belongs to a ship that seems to be floating peacefully down the river, with men aboard busily working at making her ship-shape.  Across the river, the forest seems pretty much the same ... low, gentle hills, quite a sylvan woodland filled with the colors of autumn, and breathtaking despite the overcast sky.  There are some signs that the clouds are brighter and thinner towards the southwest, as you understand the perceived southwest to be.

29 comments:

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I suggest one of you glib-types try to speak to an old woman... unless you think we should skip them and head right to the menfolk working on the ship. But I'm curious, in addition to where we are, as to why they seem so unperturbed about our arrival. How often do strange bands of men, dwares and half-orcs come parading out of the forest in these parts?)

Andrej said...

Andrej approaches one of the women and bows deeply, "Madame, I am Father Andrej. My friends and I are wayfarers upon the road who seem to have lost our way. I would be grateful if you could tell me what country are we in and what river is that?"

Alexis said...

The largest woman, and apparently the oldest, being in her fifties, asks, "How is it you do not know where you are?"

(OOC: At Ahmet: vis a vis disconcern - never underestimate the power of apathy. You're none of their business, after all)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Absolutely. There's also the fact that, would a heavily armed group of strange men enter your area, the most likely course of action for a group of unarmed women is to ignore them. There may be nothing to it, but I'm still curious as to whether other travelers may have used the Bishop's device.)

Andrej said...

"Well madame, the truth of it is that we stepped through a magical portal before knowing where the thing would take us."

If this becomes a Conflict! case, could I consider the above a jest (despite its bare-bones truth) for our purposes?

Alexis said...

Another of the old women will ask, "There really are such things as magic portals?"

Lukas said...

Lukas nods with a straight face, "Indeed, even as a priest of god may heal wounds, and a wizard can perform tricks, some of the more powerful can create gateways and portals to other realms."

He pauses a moment, "I think perhaps in retrospect it was a poor idea to enter the portal. We are fortunate we arrived at such a mundane location."

Andrej said...

Andrej, providing a reassuring smile "So again, we would be much obliged to you if you could tell us which river that is and which land we find ourselves in."

Alexis said...

The first woman ignores Andrej and says to Lukas, "Then you won't be wanting to do that again, will you?"

And another says, "It's always the way - you think you want to do something, and then when you do it, you don't want to."

All the women nod, saying, "Yes, yes, that certainly is how it is."

Andrej said...

The Andrej will initiate A Conflict!

"Ladies, Please! We have come from the midst of crucial battle to God knows where and would know where we have landed. Time is of the essence!"

Persuading, using his clerical status, good looks and able-bodiedness:

first lady: 2d6+4: 10
second lady: 2d6+4: 12

Alexis said...

"My my, pushy," says one woman.

"Foreigner," snorts another.

"Obviously, look at that pig nose of his," returns a third.

"Very well," says the first woman who spoke. "If you must know, you're in Lithuania, and that river is the Nemunus. I hope you're satisfied."

Ahmet said...

(OOC: You know, this might not be a bad time to pick up that Torturer card...)

Andrej said...

(OOC: You have my blessing. Go for it. I'm looking to keep my pig-nose clean.)

Andrej said...

"Thank you, ladies."

Andrej crosses and casts out a quick blessing, then proceeds straigh toward the river bank and away from the cackling of hens.

Lithuania...

Andrej said...

So if we wish to return to Germany, we might be best served by taking the sea-route via the Baltic to northern Germany... possibly to Lubek and somewhat familiar ground for us. If, instead, we want to go directly to Anatolia/ Cumana the land route south to the Black Sea seems most direct. Or, we could do something completely different...

Ahmet said...

Let's talk to these sailors and see if they're heading toward Germany.

Alexis said...

Before making any definite decisions, I would recommend reading the post I just added.

For the record, the boat is about a hundred yards out, in the river, and not adjacent to land. I meant that when I was describing it.

There is a road running both ways along the Nemunus, however, as you move down towards it, and you see a ferry across the river a few hundred yards away.

The road has a sign; to the right it points, "Memel, 34 miles." To the left it points, "Tilsit, 35 miles."

Alexis said...

(OOC: The post on my main blog, I meant to say)

Andrej said...

Could you remind us of the current time of day?

So reading the main blog, I conclude that we should feel reassured that those who care to know will know we are not slain and may even contact us via magical means should we simply now embark upon our next most interesting thing to do. Our "stuff" should remain intact, possibly overseen by Emmanuel. He and Ahmet's cousin we can also reasonably assume will be seen to by Hornung and if not, certainly by Serafina.

Given all of the above, any burning desire to return to Germany still?

I'd like to instead make our way directly to Fiume upon the Adriatic, then see about a ship to Constantinople. From there we can decide whether to see about Ahmet's family affairs in Anatolia or Andrej's clerical prospects in Cumana.

I'm assuming, of course, Janos and Lukas's desires can be met along with these or they are amenable to adopting these courses as their own. It will never have to be al bout Ahmet and Andrej, of course. The road is long and I'm sure filled with opportunity. Constantinople, for instance, is a large and cosmopolitan city at the verge of two worlds. If we can't find something that interests us all there...

Lukas said...

"For the record ladies, I agree. It does always seem to go that way. I think it's because one expects it to be a better experience than it ends up being. I wish you a good day."

Lukas catches up with his companions.

"I must say, there's a certain something nice about having the chance of being eaten by giant animals or ambushed by an evil bishop reduced. Not that I disagree for the need of entering the castle, but a break from danger is appreciated."

Ahmet said...

Ditto on the time of day... we ought to seek accommodations, maybe for more than one day. I'd love to be back up to my maximum hit points again.

Alexis said...

The time of day is now very early afternoon.

A point in fact, Andrej; while Hornung may know about you, you do not know anything about him. Did he survive? Did the Bishop win? There is a certain amount of the post that applies to the winners ... or at least, with the remaining forces of the side you joined.

Serafina would probably search for you, but if Hornung lost, would she have the resources, and would she perhaps need more than she had to give?

Alexis said...

Janos has noted that there is a smaller board nailed underneath the above-described sign, which can only be read from a few feet away. It points in the direction of Tilsit and says, "Silute, 3 miles"

Andrej said...

Yes, I'm assuming above that the good guys have won. Andrej would not abandon his friends and not knowing the battle's outcome would naturally want to see to their safety.

Andrej said...

Head for Silute for now and see about an inn?

Ahmet said...

Aye.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Sorry fellas, I'm going to write off the rest of the day. I'll check around and so on, but for the time being I don't think I'll be moving the adventure forward to Silute until tomorrow)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Works for me. On the morrow, then.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Trouble with running the real world, you go look up what you've described on Google Earth and find you haven't quite got it right. Ah well, it's my world after all)

The next post is up.