Friday, May 25, 2012

The Tower Stairs


Above is a rough idea of the tower, looking top down, and the spiral catwalk rising up from the middle (best I could do, really ... perspective has never been my forte).  The lines to the bottom are there just for effect.  At the top, you can see the hole in the ceiling; the black object in front of the hole is part of the steep ladder that extends up into the hole, enabling access.

The party reaches the point where they are now when it becomes evident that the 'flickering' I mentioned before is the shadows of people moving in front of a light source.  As far as you know, said people do not know anything about your existence; they are calling orders to each other.

One is shouting over and over, "HAUL!  HAUL!"  and each shout is followed by the sound of loud grunts.  There's also something squeaking incessantly, and the sound of something heavy and soft landing.

The battle sounds underlying it all are louder, too.

13 comments:

Ahmet said...

Once on the (relatively) solid ground of the catwalk, Ahmet unslings his shield and draws his scimitar.

Onward and upward!

Alexis said...

I want to hear from everyone before judging that the party moves forward.

Lukas said...

Lukas will have one dart at the ready and eye that hole as they advance.

János said...

Janos advances as well, with sword and shield readied.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Multiple personalities driving you crazy, Janos?)

János said...

(OOC: Ha, apparently. I'm still not used to switching between Blogger accounts.)

James C. said...

Andrej moved forward with the rest.

Alexis said...

I've been debating on exactly how this should play out ... I finally decided that it should be a surprise roll.

I thought someone might notice that the ranger surprises 1-3 in 6, and that he could have made his way up alone, getting a better chance of surprise - but since Ahmet is going first, the surprise chance is 1-2.

I roll a "4" ... so no suprise.

As the party gets to 4 hexes from the entrance, they are noticed by a man who appears at the top of the ladder. This man shouts, warning others: "BREACHED!" he cries. "SOLDIERS ON THE STAIRS!"

The man will draw a sword.

At this point, I will need Ahmet to roll a d6.

I will have Lukas roll 2d6 for Klaas, to determine his morale.

Alexis said...

Let me amend that. The man will pull out a FLAIL.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet rolls a 4

A battle on a narrow catwalk! Woohoo!

Lukas said...

I rolled a 6, I hope that's not bad.

Alexis said...

It is bad. Klaas needs an "8" to succeed at his morale.

For the moment, he'll hold his ground ... but he'll need to check his morale each round to see if he can fire (roll 2d6) and if he takes damage (and lives), he'll flee.

Meanwhile, I rolled a 5 for initiative; this is simultaneous with Lukas, but ahead of the remaining party.

I will put up the next post and we'll continue when I have.

Alexis said...

The next post is up.