Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sorting Out Strategy

It is almost certainly a dragon.  The yellow shading in the dragon's den indicates the hole in the roof.  I have made white the names of the dwarves for the present; I have not placed the party in any location.  For the moment, examine the layout and tell me where you are.
I'm moving the discussion one post forward to avoid the comments hitting above the 200 mark; anytime a post passes 100 comments, I'll be looking to reinvoke it here.

A few points:  Could the members of the party please update their experience  on their characters, if they haven't done so already.

I believe that Lukas is up a level, with the last pile of experience.  Could Lukas please confirm.

Frith is reasonable about blocking the door.  He has several spikes, and he can spike the door against attacks.  He'll leave Htuya, Wedth and Vala at the door, with Odval to command them.

Some discussion of who is carrying what equipment, who has what in their hands at the beginning, who is standing next to whom.  Zoft will be casting his last spell, Bless, upon those he can affect.

66 comments:

Ahmet said...

I believe Zoft's full name is Zoft Abdul ibn Mohammad, yes? :)

Lukas said...

I did level, and my apprentice's spellbook (8 levels or 32 cantrips) has 3 levels and 20 cantrips of spells. Lukas begins considering the viability of barrel wood for spell scribing...

Lukas said...

Just get yourself more drunk to make up for it Ahmet, you don't need balance or accuracy, you just need to look the tastiest.

Andrej said...

(OOC: It's like running from a bear only opposite. You don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than everybody else running. Ahmet, in this instance, only needs to appear the tastiest.)

XP updated

Given the effects to bravery Andrej will induce mild intoxication upon himself.

Andrej then casts bless and blesses all Catholics. +1 to hit, improves morale and +1 save for all non-heathens.

He then makes ready one flask of oil and carries one lit torch. His remaining two flasks of oil he will carry in is belt pouch unless Ahmet or a dwarf wants one.

Both maces are on his belt and his shield upon his back.

Reminder Lukas, you have three oil flasks unless I'm mistaken.

Andrej will lead whomever will follow him out one of the cave entrances. Ahmet should lead another troupe with the third being Frith's unless he assigns another. Klaas, if he's able, should stay in the mouth of one tunnel and shoot.

Try to stay away from this thing's mouth.

Ahmet said...

I would like a flask, yes.

Andrej said...

Andrej hands a flask to Ahmet.

"Don't forget to light it before you throw," he deadpans.

Ahmet said...

Thanks for the reminder. Ahmet seeks out a torch also.

Lukas said...

I would like to arrange to have a torch handy for the ranged folks. If we split the torches thusly, then perhaps Andrej could help light Ahmet's and do his own, and I could handle myself and any other ranged folks. Saves Ahmet one hand.

Alexis said...

Despite the evident presence of the dragon, and that it is awake, it takes no special notice of the party as it moves around. It's possible to see the dragon now (still working on getting the image up), and it is possible to organize on this side of the dragon's cave - the dragon takes no actions.

Aruth asks about the possibility of throwing potato bags onto the ice to help purchase.

The dwarves move around four of the straw bales, weighing 300 lbs. each.

Andrej said...

Problem being Ahmet and I will be emerging from different tunnels. Each group designates a torch bearer? Preferably somebody without a shield.

Andrej said...

Andrej encourages the dwarves to throw whatever they can manage to throw out there. I'd rather climb over potatoes than slide on ice.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Must be leaving my desk soon and then will leave for the day. I'll check back in tonight to put any necessary finishing touches on tactics, fellas.)

Ahmet said...

Is the scattered straw idea not working? I'd think that would work better than potatoes...

Ahmet said...

How about we put Andrej into Group A, Ahmet into Group B, and Lukas/Klaas into Group C, and then divide the Dwarfs equally among the three of us, if the Dwarfs are OK with that. Each group should have a designated flask thrower and a designated torch bearer.

Lukas said...

I'm worrying a tad about fire + straw, but maybe if we do this right that will be a good thing? And those potatoes must be pretty hard considering I think they're mostly water...

Alexis said...

The cave image is up now.

Lukas, you gain a 1st level spell, a useful cantrip, and a d4 for hit points. Please roll the last and add the total to your maximum and your present hit points.

Also, gaining a level gives you insight on how to cast spells, and you find yourself remembering ALL your spells; consider your entire spell list restored to your character. This is a circumstance that goes along with being a spellcaster - when you increase a level, you regain all your spells without the need to memorize.

Your spellbook will handle your increased spells for now.

Alexis said...

Frith will not encourage anything thrown into the cave - "It isn't attacking us ... let's not provoke it."

Lukas said...

D4: 3

Guess who has salt again? I could help with the slipperiness once we get close in a non-flammable manner.

Ahmet said...

The brown bags at 2404, et. al., are sacks of potatoes?

Andrej said...

Andrej, hands his torch off to a nearby dwarf, asking him or her to hold it. He then begins pushing sacks of potatoes out of the way to clear a path between the bottom of the stairs and hex 2405, encouraging others to do likewise.

If we complete this task, Andrej stations himself at hex 2405, the head of "group A" as described by Ahmet above.

"Will one third of the dwarves follow me toward yonder dragon?"

Andrej said...

Alexis, do you use the AD&D rules for subduing dragons?

Ahmet said...

All told, the complete value of all treasure was 4,357 g.p., 10 s.p. & 2 c.p. This is divided in half with the dwarves, then in thirds for the party members.

If we convert that odd-numbered gold piece into silver (16), we can do this a little more easily: 2,178 g.p., 13 s.p., and 1 c.p. to the Dwarves, and 2,178 g.p., 13 s.p., and 1 c.p. to the party.

That would give each party member 726 g.p. and 4 s.p., leaving over 1 s.p. and 1 c.p. for the slush fund, for Klaas, or whatever we want to do. I leave it up to Andrej as the party's hedge-fund manager.

Ahmet said...

I suggest we stack the sacks of frozen potatoes to form a thick, low wall (as if they were sandbags). Surely they would offer SOME protection.

Ahmet said...

Also, Ahmet retrieves his heavy crossbow and quarrels from Klaas, and instructs him to retrieve one of the small kobold bows and a few dozen arrows. If that thing stays at a distance, better two of us are shooting at it, even if it would take a miracle for Klaas to hit.

Andrej said...

Sure, potato wall. I'm on board with that. A thick, low one that we can climb over.

Andrej said...

Regarding treasure, that's the value of all the pitch and beer, not necessarily coins, yes? So while the theoretical shares are correct, in reality we have a wagon load of valuable shit vs. three big bags bursting with coin. That freaking cart and horse sure have paid dividends in terms of our ability to haul loot.

Ahmet said...

Well, what's left of the beer after you infidels were done with it.

Andrej said...

Hey, the dwarves drank out of their share. How much could Klass, Andrej and Lukas possibly consume?

Lukas said...

Is that a challenge?

Alright, so Ahmet, why don't you have Klaas come with you, and if you have to go melee you can pass off the crossbow. That way you aren't meleeing and Klaas STILL has a toy bow.

Alexis, of my 8 thrown darts, how many survived? And I did want to collect them, but I was hoping I got Klaas to do it...

Alexis said...

Okay, I'm here.

First of all, The party will be met by a fairly tall, continental European with brown hair, unarmored but dressed in military style. He arrives, introduces himself as Kaszas Janos, and brings word from Hornung. Kaszas has met the force outside the cave, dropped into the tunnel, passed by the dead otyugh, washed himself (without encountering a leech), then climbed up through the massacred kobalds to give you this message:

Hornung cannot breech the walls until after dark; do not attack into the main castle until the sun sets.

Kaszas can confirm that it is as late as 5 bells in the afternoon.

Alexis said...

(OOC: From this point on, Kaszas is speaking for himself - I hope he's here)

Alexis said...

1) Moving the potatoes is nigh impossible, as anything below the top layer is frozen in place.

All the sacks are potatoes, except the tiny yellow ones on the image, which are wheat grains.

2) I do not use subdual rules, ever. But dragons must be driven below -9 hit points to kill them, and between -4 and -9 there's a chance of knocking them unconscious; they do become quite weakened below -5 hit points.

They can also sometimes be reasoned with if they're losing. Try your cards.

3) Ahmet, I've deliberately not explained how much of anything there is; for example, I haven't mentioned up until now that there's wheat in some of the sacks, or that the solitary barrel on the lower level is full of wine.

Until you can actually take the time to count things, you cannot possibly know how many sacks there are. The total VALUE of everything here is 4,357 g.p. etc., but the specific nature of everything is at the moment only generally known.

Moreover, you can't assign a cash value because the value depends on where you sell it.

Andrej said...

Welcome Kaszas.

(OOC: I'm going to be out of comission for the rest of the morning up through 1PM EST. Will check back in then)

Alexis said...

4) you can build a sort of sandbag wall, using the top line of potato sacks. Remember the sacks are four deep, in the rows indicated. Please tell me in which hexes you'd want to do that.

Apparently the dragon isn't bothering the party because it is used to the kobalds moving about in their storeroom.

The whole group has drunk perhaps a third of a barrel of beer.

Ahmet said...

Welcome, Kaszas the Dragonslayer!

Alexis said...

(OOC: This said ... if I do not take a day off the stress is going to kill me. It has been a busy week for the campaign. we've covered a lot of ground. I want to get Kaszas introduced, but beyond that I just need to crash the rest of this day, do normal things, manage the actual thing for which I get remunerated. Perhaps write a post of something)

Ahmet said...

A line of potato sacks (and perhaps barrels of pitch, if we can move them) forming a low wall (perhaps 3 feet high?) on the southeast of 2404, and (assuming 2305, 2306, etc., are solid walls) in 2405 on the northwest.

If we have more, 2307 on the northwest, and still more, 2108 on the northwest. We could leave gaps for the Dwarves, who might find a 3 foot wall a bit high to climb.

The point isn't to try to build an impenetrable wall, but rather to have SOME cover, especially for anyone kneeling or prone.

Alexis said...

Any hex that's black is a solid stone piller or wall, floor to ceilintg.

Lukas said...

Yeah the gray ones are the entrances I think

Alexis said...

Like every other grey hex on this map, these represent a 12 foot slope DOWN. Note that the blue coloring of the hexes in the dragon's lair correspond to the blue that colored the hexes of the very bottom of the kobald lair.

Ahmet said...

OK Alexis, we'll see you Monday. Have a restful weekend because next week we're gonna be a-whuppin'!

Lukas said...

I wouldn't mind being in hex2404. It's got a pretty dang good command for ranged attacks.

Andrej said...

How about this:

- We barricade the left hand edge of 2304 with potato sacks and station Lukas, Ahmet and Klaas near there where hex 2404 and 2405 together command a wide firing arc.

- Ahmet fires his crossbow first from hex 2404 then steps aside to 2405 to load while Lukas stands in 2404 with a torch tossing his oil. Klass is at hand in hex 2505 to take over crossbow duties or assist this group as necessary.

- Andrej, with one half of the dwarves at his back is simultaneously tossing oil from hex 2307. His shield is strapped onto his arm so one of the dwarves will be his torch bearer.

- A dwarf good at tossing oil flasks is likewise positioned in hex 2108, with a torch bearer directly behind him, also simultaneously tossing oil.

- We toss oil until we run out or tossing oil no longer makes sense. At this time the groups from hexes 2108 and 2307 make a melee charge followed closely by Ahmet from 2404/ 2405, who hands his crossbow off to Klaas or Lukas.

- Klaas and Lukas continue to lend support from hexes 2404 and 2405.

- Kazsas finds a way to fit into the above.

Ahmet said...

I like it!

Alexis said...

Over the weekend I'll try putting together a map that depicts it.

Andrej said...

Take it easy fellas and have a nice weekend.

János said...

Hey, fellas, sorry to miss my own introduction! Kazsás János, World's Most Dedicated Messenger, is glad to be a part of the team, though.

Just a few points to mention, for clarity:

 — You're welcome to call me Janos; don't let Hungarian naming convention fool you. (Kazsás is actually the family name.)

— Alexis, I'm currently wearing ring mail, it's just listed separately from my other clothing. That, and my shield, are factored into my armour class.

— Andrej, I'm happy to fit in to the strategy wherever I can. Perhaps I should join your group when it's time to charge into the mêleé?

Ahmet said...

Welcome Janos. If you can use a bow -- or maybe even if you can't -- I suggest grabbing one and some arrows from a dead kobold. This sucker may prefer to stay at long range.

Also, I can give you the flask of oil that Andrej gave me, if you've got a good arm.

Ahmet said...

Not to second-guess Herr Hornung's strategy, but is it really wise to wait until after dark to attack a castle full of undead creatures?

Alexis said...

Janos can tell you that the battle IS ongoing right now; but that certain elements are not occurring in tempo with one another; Hornung's main force is striking at the lower castle, but his sappers on the west have been stymied by an active green slime that seems to permeate much of the rock strata, and Hornung's principle wizard was severely injured in a clairvoyance-clairaudience struggle which the wizard did win. Hornung's word with Janos is just a suggestion that until dark, he can't promise to properly ensure the denizens of the castle will have their attentions elsewhere when the party enters within.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Guys - I just have a few minutes between meetings; I should be back in control of my tasks after 11 am Pacific time ... hopefully)

János said...

Sadly, my throwing arm isn't quite as good as my sword arm. I can try the flask of oil, though, and I have two handaxes of my own that I might be able to do some damage with before I have to get too close to that thing.

Andrej said...

Andrej sizes up the newcomer, curious about his abilities. After brief introductions are made all around amongst the principal members...

"Janos, your axes are welcome. You may join my group or Ahmet as you see fit. Keep your head down and your shield up, friend, and may we become better acquainted on the other side of the battle."

"All, Hornung's situation does not prevent us from attacking the dragon, yes? We strike now and await any further advance into the castle, if even possible, until nightfall. Agreed?"

Ahmet said...

Ahmet nods.

Lukas said...

Lukas nods as well. "For all we know, we still have time yet before we reach the castle."

Alexis said...

(OOC: Damn. There's just no time!)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Don't sweat it. It's the nature of the beast.)

János said...

"Fortune favours the bold, they say."

Janos will join up with Andrej's group, shield in one hand and axe in the other.

(I apologise if my access is a little sporadic this week, fellas. My schedule is in the midst of shifting around, but I'll try to be available as much as I can over the next few days.)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Janos, does this mean you don't want the flask of oil?)

Andrej said...

Then with the exception of the disposition of one flask of oil it looks like things are decided and the party should arrange itself as indicated in my post above.

Andrej does so, beginning with the barricading of hex 2304 as described, assuming others nearby will help.

Alexis said...

I'm behind on a lot of this dialogue, but let me start by saying I've put up a new post. This one is still active, however; the new post explains why.

Alexis said...

Janos, I'm not sure if your character sheet specifies your three weapon proficiencies. I see only two weapons described (bastard sword and hand axe). Did I miss a note that removed one of your proficiencies?

Alexis said...

(OOC: On a more personal note:

The computer that died last week will, apparently, remain a brick after all. I have moved my email to a working computer, so I have access again. I have removed the motherboards from my prior computer, but they are not installed anywhere at the moment - they will have to wait until I can afford a new tower. As such, some information that I have is inaccessible to me at the moment. I will ask for said information as necessary)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Finally, with regards to my overall availability.

This week is looking rather nightmarish; while I had plenty of time last week, I'm watching work pile up on my desktop even as I write this. I'll try to organize as best I can, but the problem of creating maps to depict play will occasionally be out of my reach. It typically requires four windows being open, as I have other data I must access to run the dwarves and roll dice, etc. ... said maps will probably be lagging for each round.

Secondly, I am going to take the entire month of June off. I did this last December; it will have been five months of running since then, and I feel I will need a general break. I'm going to be closing my offline campaign as well, probably for two months. I simply need to defrag. I trust this is good with everyone).

Andrej said...

(OOC: Take what time you feel you need. I'd rather take a break than have you lose interest altogether.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: not to worry! I'm having a great time)