Friday, May 11, 2012

The Dwarven Hall, Round 1

When Htuya and Aruth finish knocking down the door (unmolested), they step back and let Ahmet forward to look.  This is what Ahmet sees:



We must go through this carefully.  First, this is a long hall, 70 feet long and 20 feet wide.  There are wall sconces and the whole room is very well lit. 

The red on the floor indicates the degree of slope; the darker the red, the further down the slope.  There are two lines across the middle of the room.  If the player moves from left to right over either line, it costs a movement point.  If the player moves from right to left over that line, it costs NO movement points.

At the top of the hall is a dwarf.  He is also carrying a crossbow.  In his other hand are two chains, that lead to the leashes of the two minks next to him.  When he reaches to fire the crossbow at Ahmet, he will let go of the minks.

If Ahmet wants to fire first at the dwarf, he will have to roll a d6 for initiative.  No other action can be taken by ANYONE until initiative is rolled.

Behind Ahmet, and the small bit of the kobald lair depicted on this map, are all the other dwarves.  The small blue figure cut off in the bottom left corner is Lukas.

Have fun.

Ahmet points out that he's owed this card:

82 comments:

Alexis said...

While I think of it ... did people get their "beer hit points?"

Could you please tell me what state of intoxication your character is in?

Lukas said...

I'm moderate, and no, no beer hp was rolled that I recall...

Alexis said...

Consider yourself 4 hit points higher, Lukas.

Ahmet said...

Instead of rolling D6 and firing, can Ahmet simply step to the side or crouch so he's not in the field of fire? I still think we should attempt to parley.

Andrej said...

I added Andrej's beer hit point. He's mildly intoxicated.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet is stone cold sober. He's high on life.

Alexis said...

You can do that if you wish, Ahmet ... but you STILL have to roll initiative.

János said...

Janos is sober as well.

Lukas said...

Lukas almost doubled his HP with leveling and alchohol...

Ahmet said...

D6: 4

Alexis said...

You, Ahmet, and the rest of the party have initiative.

Please describe your actions in the form of positive, present-tense active verbs, phrases and sentences.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet ducks down so he is out of the Dwarf's line of sight and conveys to the others what he saw: one Dwarf, two giant minks, at the end of a long passageway that slopes upward, well-lit by torches. The Dwarf is holding a crossbow in one hand and the two leashes in the other.

Alexis said...

Others?

Ahmet is out of sight.

János said...

Janos discards the kobold bow and readies his sword and shield.

(OOC: I'm sorry, fellas, but I'm going to be unavailable for the next two hours. Awful timing, I know...)

Alexis said...

(OOC: no worries; I live and breathe awful timing)

Lukas said...

Lukas stands at the ready, I don't think he's 'in-sight' and also has nothing to aim at.

Ahmet said...

Whoever has the most cards should be our designated speaker. Ahmet isn't exactly the most eloquent one in the crowd.

Speaking of cards... do Andrej and Ahmet get new cards for dealing 12+ damage in the kobold combat?

Alexis said...

I'm a little thick, Ahmet. Can you confirm that you both did 12 damage at some point with one blow?

You may have. I can't remember.

Ahmet said...

I thought I did. I had been waiting to finally roll a 20. Let me double-check.

Ahmet said...

Yes, I did 14 damage to the kobold in the striped orange shirt... which stunned him, but didn't kill him (though I did get him, eventually).

Andrej, do you remember doing 12+ damage in a single blow?

Andrej said...

I do not believe that I did that much damage in a single blow.

Andrej looks to Lukas & Janos "Parley?"

Alexis said...

I've added Ahmet's card image to the main post.

Alexis said...

That's more or less the party's action; Frith's dwarves have nothing to add.

The other dwarf will shout, "Show your face, YE COWARD, and I, GERRAT FALFYSSON, will break it open for hyu!"

You can hear the rattling of chains, the scratching of claws on stone ... you judge that he hasn't let the minks go, that he's still holding them, as the chain sounds do not get closer.

We can continue your next moves on this post.

Andrej said...

Correction, in round 17 I scored a crit and did 14 points of damage, so the card is mine as well.

Alexis said...

Sorry Andrej, it doesn't. Ahmet's full damage was applied to the striped kobald ... but the one you killed did not have 14 hit points when you killed it, so you did not "do" 14 damage. You only did 9 at the time.

Andrej said...

Andrej to Frith, jokingly "Friend of yours?"

Andrej said...

(OOC: Ach! So be it)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Sorry Andrej. Next time pick on someone who can take a punch!)

Alexis said...

Time to get out that card and use it, Ahmet.

Ahmet said...

Do any of the Dwarves seem to know this name?

As I said, one of the more smooth talking characters should probably do the parleying.

Alexis said...

(OOC: much laughter here. Do the dwarves know his name? Why, because they're DWARVES?

You know I'm Canadian. And I have experienced that thing where I'm in the States, I say I'm a Canadian, and I'm asked if I know David or Pauline from Sudbury. It's such a common experience for Canadians, they put it in this commercial)

Alexis said...

The dwarves do not recognize the name.

Lukas said...

Lukas misses that Andrej is asking the dwarves, "He's the one with the minks for sure. I don't think we'll have good footing giving we killed one of his minks and left it in what is now a filth pit."

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Just wanted to make sure. When you have a scene like this in a movie, whenever someone shouts, "I, GERRAT FALFYSSON, will break it open for hyu!", there's always someone who peeks up and says... "Hey, Gerrat! It's me, Doug!")

Alexis said...

(OOC: well, g'night. ya'll have a good weekend, shore 'nuff)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet says to Lukas, "Tell him we made a deal with his dragon and now we want to make a deal with him."

(OOC: "Maybe he's a Republican!")

Andrej said...

(OOC: Hey Alexis, do you know Trevor or Matt from Sudbury?)

So somebody needs to take the lead on parleying with the dwarf. I have no problems doing so, but want to make sure everybody else is feeling engaged and involved so leave it open for now. If everybody declines or we have no takers by after noon EST today, I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling.

Ahmet, you're up front and you have a card or two now, don't be afraid to use them. Conflict! as designed means you don't need to have an 18 Charisma to play, it just helps.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I don't, but I'm sure they're really really nice)

Lukas said...

So, what is your idea for a persuasive argument? Or are we going to go with asking a few questions to get started?

Andrej said...

Yeah, just get the ball rolling with the basics and play the cards as opportunity presents itself. Same deal as the dragon, really. He hasn't loosed his minks on us yet.

We might end up fighting the dwarf anyway, but its worth a shot if you guys are willing.

Ahmet said...

I would use PERSUASION to get him to surrender. I have a +1 modifier, with another +1 if I use the Able-Bodied card. I'm assuming one of you has a better modifier than that...

My argument:

You're in an indefensible position -- at the end of a well-lit corridor with no cover. We can sit here behind cover and pepper you with arrows while you're reloading. Lay down your weapons and go in peace. Your liege is, even now, under siege by an army; why fight for a man who will soon be dead?

I would even be willing to offer our share of the kobolds (the coins, anyway), if he agrees.

That's my thoughts, anyway. What do you guys say?

Alexis said...

Frith: "If he lets loose those minks, they could tear the length of that hall in seconds; if they came through the door, they could attack all of us on this side like hell's own fury; and since we'd broken down the door, we couldn't keep the minks back - we'd be fighting them when Falfysson came up to the door; using the few missile weapons we have might not avail us as well as you say, great Turk."

Ahmet said...

"Wouldn't it be better for all of us to fight the minks here, rather than attempting to reach them at the top of that slope?"

Andrej said...

"You fought the minks once before, Ahmet, where would you prefer to fight them again?

As for the parley, rather then get into specifics of tactics, which can be reasoned against, simply tell him the kobolds are dead and the dragon cut a deal. Whom would he like to join?"

Ahmet said...

"Those creatures are fast and powerful. I want to fight them somewhere where we can surround them and hit them from all sides."

That sounds good, Andrej.

Lukas said...

I have no sound tactical advice to give, I'll probably try to sleep another one here, but charm wont do any good, and the miscellany spells probably have little direct use.

János said...

Parlaying seems like our best bet, or at least worth a shot. I assume these things will be a pain to fight in such close quarters, but if it comes to that, so be it.

Ahmet said...

Lukas, I think given your INT and CHA, you'd have the best modifiers, either using Persuade or Reason.

Lukas said...

Lukas maneuvers his way next to the door, but doesn't peek around or even get line of sight around the door. He calls out to the dwarf.

"You have some fine creatures there. Tell me, what are their names?"

He shrugs at the others for a moment using this as a lead up to remind the dwarf of his relationship to his beasts.

Lukas said...

I'm doing this slow so I don't get screwed over by rolling for persuading him to let us pass so his beasts don't come to harm and asking for their names at the same time. I want to use the reminder as part of the same persuasion action, because I don't really want to know their names, what I want to do is have him remember what really is at risk here. Then I want to persuade him with the idea that his beasts will get harmed.

Then, if that doesn't work, I will work off of reason that if three of us can kill one, then our full number will make small work of the remainder and himself.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet puts down his crossbow, unslings his shield, and readies his scimitar, just in case the beasties decide to introduce themselves.

Andrej said...

Andrej has mace and shield ready, awaiting the results of Lukas's play.

Alexis said...

Lukas, you can only use your persuade bonus once; you can try to persuade him of anything without the bonus, but you only get the bonus the one time you declare you're using it.

Falfysson will answer Lukas' question: "Their names are RIP and TEAR," he shouts; "And they're not fine about it at all ... they're very messy when they do both!"

Lukas said...

I only intend to. I want to PERSUADE him to think of the injury and possible death his precious animals are going to suffer if he engages, but this setup is not persuasion, just reminder. I would have mashed it together with the whole overall persuasion, but I didn't want him to answer my question about their names rather than retreat.

After that if it doesn't work, I'm going to try and REASON with him, that one dwarf won't be able to hold this corridor against us.

Lukas tries to PERSUADE the dwarf now.

"Gerratt! I'm guessing you spent a lot of time raising those specimen to their form now. Tending them when sick, training them proper commands. I'm guessing you probably don't want to see them get hurt, or even die today. We don't have to fight, if we do, I guarantee they'll be hurt, and even if you win, there's a good chance one WILL die. I think the Otyough, the kobolds back there AND dragon will prove that fact. You can walk away from this now and both Rip and Tear can do so another day."

2d6: 13 (11 +2)

I'm not going to try and add beauty to that roll. And for good reason!

Lukas said...

I'd like to amend it to 'and rip and tear can pursue their namesake another day.' It sounds like I'm asking him to leave them behind, which I wouldn't.

Alexis said...

The base resistance for any person against the use of an action card is 10. This is the amount that must be equalled to have a positive effect on your listener.

However, your listener has cards which can raise his or her resistance. Falfysson has a "Bellow" card, which can be used to raise his resistance; he also has a "Questor" card, from an action he did in the past, and he has a "Hardened Adventurer" card. Together, these three cards can raise his resistance by 3.

This isn't quite enough to resist Lukas' suggestion - since Lukas rolled a 13. In normal circumstances, therefore, Falfysson would stand down ... or present himself as willing to talk.

These aren't normal circumstances, obviously; and there ought to be some bonus inherent in having to defend a given door of a castle during seige.

HOWEVER, I have never sat and produced a list of situational modifiers to this system. And as such, I'm not going to incorporate a situational modifier at this time. Therefore, Lukas gets the benefit of the system still yet being simplified.

Falfysson's first answer ("accepting"): "What you say may be true, you bastards ... but if you don't kill me, I've yet got the Bishop to face. What shall I do about him?"

János said...

Janos says to the others, low enough so that the dwarf hopefully cannot hear, "Can we offer the fellow a guarantee the Hornung's forces will let him live? Or at least, that we'll let him leave unimpeded?"

Ahmet said...

Hm... we could assure him that the Bishop will soon be dead by our hands. Or ask him to join our stalwart band so he can see the Bishop's death for himself.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Very nice, but I hope we don't turn into a traveling troupe of negotiators.)

Now's the time to reason with him as you described, Lukas.

Alexis said...

In general, he is now in an accepting state of mind; this means that anyone of the party attempting to communicate with him gains a +1 to their influence/intimidation.

(also, since he has used his 3 resistance bonus cards already, he can't use them again)

Ahmet said...

What do you gentlemen think -- try to convince him to join us, or just to stand down and allow us passage, with the assurance that the Bishop will soon be dead?

Andrej said...

If we choose the latter what's to prevent somebody still on the bishop's side from turning him back later on? I say we eliminate him, either by making him go away or... making him go away.

Lukas said...

"The bishop is surrounded. We have him trapped, he won't be going anywhere. We have an army and many other groups attacking from other positions. The bishop is on his last leg and alone in his castle which even as we speak is falling."

Lukas steps out with his hands empty and up, "When we win this, the Bishop wont be a problem. Besides, how long will it be until the bishop betrays your trust like he did those who came to him for solace and protection? If he's done it before, he'll do it again. I won't ask you to face him, but I do ask you to stand aside and go on living your life. Us and a powerful army will deal with this one man."

2d6:11 (7 +2 Reason + 2 Beauty)

(OOC: Crosses Fingers)

Alexis said...

With the additional +1, it's a 12.

This is still in the "accepting" range; for him to help you, you would have to manage a "friendly" result.

Still, he's not able to launch a conflict action back at you at this time; you've reduced him from hostile to reasonable:

Falfysson: "There's no protection against the Bishop - but I confess he's no pillar of society. It might be well if this bloody carnage went against him. And still, the Bishop has allies, many allies, throughout the continent."

He pauses. "Stand forth. I'll keep my pets harnessed, and we'll speak face to face. You have my word."

Alexis said...

(OOC: Janos - I'll get off my ass and get you a set of cards for play tomorrow)

János said...

(OOC: No worries, Alexis. I haven't minded just watching the others do the diplomatic work so far, since I am still getting a feel for how things operate.)

Lukas said...

Lukas advances on the dwarf, his hands still empty and clear. He hesitates slightly as he gets closer to the giant minks though.

"I am Lukas Meyer." He offers just out of what he figures is reach of the Minks. "Forgive me, but the lord bishop appears not to care for uninvited guests much, I'm willing to trust a man who will announce his name to his foes first. It shows some value placed in said name, but as well trained as your companions are, I'm beginning to fear I give off a tasty smell."

Lukas dusts himself off. With a chuckle.

"It seems the dragon is quite fond of you, perhaps Hornung might need a diplomat with some experience in dealing with it. I could put in a good word if you'd like, It couldn't hurt too much. I mean as long as you can find more of something it likes to eat."

Lukas grins, "Cmon, maybe it'll even share some of that beer down there and we can have a cold one and I can hear how you managed to tame these beautiful monsters. I'm sure working with the next keeper of the castle might put you in a fair spot eh? I'm sure whoever it is will probably do their best not to insult just about every law in the land."

Maybe the jest will do it... c'mon no snake eyes.

2d6: 9 (7+2)

Hrm nother 5 and 2 in that order. I need to get new dice.

Lukas said...

Bah it's 10, I forgot the 1 again.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Janos, I have produced your cards; you'll find them in their own post)

Alexis said...

To see him in person, Falfysson seems greatly distressed. Lukas can see he is a massive dwarf; four-foot-five, at least 220 lbs., with a great double-bladed axe on his back and muscles that can't help but astound a mage. From the look of him, you'd guess he's a good deal stronger than even the Turk, and the Turk's arms are like a horse's flanks.

He doesn't laugh, but he manages to break a smile at Lukas' jest. He yanks on the chains of his minks, who are still slavering, but clearly Falfysson's got them under control. "I'd like my own land, that's what I'd like," he pines; "Not workin' for anyone else, but having the right to do as I please."

Andrej said...

Andrej steps into the door frame.

"As we'd all like, Falfysson but we all move at the whims of the powerful whether we know it or not. We cannot give you land, but we can give you your life and a fair chance and getting some some day. Hornung is a fair and generous master, and will look kindly upon your stepping aside and letting us pass. Kinder still if you tell us what lies ahead."

Andrej is trying to persuade the dwarf into cooperating with us. Stand aside and inform us of what dangers lie ahead in return for Hornung's later consideration and our good word on his behalf.

Persuading (+1), bringing his piety to bear (+1) and +1 for Falfysson's mood.

2d6: 3,4, (+3) = 10

Alexis said...

"I will ..." he lets out a great breath of air; "stand aside. Bring forth your men. I shall lead you through the grotto to the Stinger's Tower ... but I think it will do you little good."

Andrej said...

Andrej gives the dwarf an approving nod and Lukas a subtle and appreciative grip of the shoulder. Waving Ahmet, Janos and the dwarves forward he muses, "I wonder what the Stinger could be?"

He then endeavors to find out.

Lukas said...

Lukas looks the dwarf in the eye. "I mean it Gerrat Falfysson, if we meet after this, a drink, let's make it to futures as our own men."

Lukas offers him a nod and goes back to ensure everyone gets through fine.

Alexis said...

Falfysson, thus deflated (!), will lead the party through the door at the left top of the hall. This will direct us into the next post, which ... I haven't a chance of getting up today.

(OOC: I've just been handed something that has been hung up and hung up for two months now; "Oh, could you have this ready for the 25th?"

And so ... I am wallowing. Please enjoy your days; I hope it is sunny where you are)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet trudges past with the rest, giving Falfysson the slight nod of one veteran warrior to another.

Lukas said...

(OOC: Not sunny, but I prefer it this way, it's going to get REAL hot hereabouts in the near future.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Work and weather both suck on this end.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Things suck all around.

I am in the process of doing a long term repetitive task that will be keeping me busy into next week - but for the present I'd like to kick at this can a little bit now and then just to have something to think about. Be reassured that I am here and checking this blog hourly)

Alexis said...

The next post is up.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Just to be clear, you're not expecting any more actions to be declared by the players at this time, correct? We're waiting for the next post?)

Andrej said...

Nevermind. :)