Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Door

Apart from establishing a new post, there's not much to say.  The dwarves who skedaddled make their apologies, the kobald bodies continue to be policed.  The dragon closes itself in, so that the three entrances become filled with frosted ice.  The outside surface of this ice begins to melt - the dragon isn't able to keep its den closed all the time, as it is warm enough in the storeroom to melt whatever the dragon creates.  But the ice should last for a few hours.

It is gobbling kobalds and drinking beer - though you can only hear it.  Thankfully, its not something you can see.

There's nothing to describe now except a door.  It is 7 feet tall and 4 feet wide.  It looks heavy; there's no evident lock, but the door may be barricaded on the inside.  If so, the dwarves should be able to tear it apart with their picks in about five to ten minutes, depending on how much water is in the wood.

What do you wish to do?

23 comments:

Lukas said...

Lukas looks over the door, considers if he can surmise anything helpful about it's construction, then leave it to the dwarves to destroy it.

Then he starts examining the various constructs of the room and begin considering what are the results of the kobolds, what are the results of ancient construction and if anything doesn't seem to fit.

Andrej said...

Andrej steps forward and places his mace against the door, applying force right down the shaft to attempt to push it inward.

Alexis said...

Yep. It's blocked.

Andrej said...

Andrej attempts to lay his shoulder into it. If that's possible I'll make an open doors check. If not, Andrej turns it over to Frith and his dwarves.

Alexis said...

The door has no give at all. It is definitely barricaded. Frith wants to know what sort of arrangement regarding defense while the door is being broken in.

Andrej said...

Andrej is at his disposal, he only needs to direct me. I'm sure Ahmet, Lukas and Janos are as well.

Ahmet said...

"Should we try knocking? Perhaps he wants to talk, as the dragon did. Apparently he knows we're out here."

Andrej said...

"Do the pick-axes count as knocking?"

Alexis said...

Frith suggests Ahmet stands in the path of the door with a crossbow; as the door breaks apart, whatever is inside will be able to see - and possibly fire missiles into the gap. Neither Aruth nor Htuya (the two Frith picks to break in the door) will be able to defend themselves, and yet they will be targets. Perhaps Ahmet could cover them until the door comes down.

Warth and Batath will try their hands at the kobald bows.

Andrej said...

Andrej likewise stands ready and directly next to Ahmet should the latter be willing to man the crossbow, to throw a spell or lend a hand as required.

János said...

Would Janos' proficiency with longbows allow him to use the kobold weapons at all?

Ahmet said...

Ahmet stands ready with crossbow.

"If this is the same Dwarf we've seen before, he'll likely have a grimtler with him," he says.

Andrej said...

"Wouldn't you know I left my grimtler's bane in my other cassock. I suppose I'll just have to hit it with this mace."

long pause

"What's a grimtler?"

János said...

"That's a good question..."

If Janos can use one of the bows, he'll take it and stand alongside Ahmet. Otherwise, he'll ready his shield and bastard sword to await the appearance of the fabled grimtler.

Lukas said...

When it looks like they're getting close to opening the door, Lukas will get close and have a dart at the ready.

Ahmet said...

"A grimtler? It's much like a nebbles, only a tad bigger."

Alexis said...

I'll accept Janos' ability to use a kobald bow. The range shouldn't be an issue; the damage it does is 1d4.

János said...

Janos nocks an arrow, then, and stands next to Ahmet.

I assume we're all just waiting for the dwarves to do their thing, yes?

Ahmet said...

Since Ahmet is standing still, I suppose he can "fully load" the crossbow, rather than the two-thirds loaded used when walking around?

Ahmet said...

If so, he does so.

Alexis said...

The fully loaded crossbow is logical; you'd pull the last tension on the string and fix the bolt just as the door started to give.

Janos and Ahmet, then, are side by side. When they fire - if there's anything to fire at - they'll step aside and Batath and Warth can move into their place and fire in turn.

(OOC: Everybody on the edge of your seats? I'm afraid that door's just going to have to wait until tomorrow)

Andrej said...

aaaargh!

Alexis said...

The next post is up.