Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Below the Stairs


The grey hexes still representing a 12 foot slope, the party at the edge of the view can see a grouping of barrels - 2603 - and buckets of pitch - 2802 & 2803.  There are no signs of any kobalds, nor any sounds.

Frith, overlooking the scene with the party, informs you that he's under orders to split the plunder that you find.  He and his group have shares of the overall plunder taken from the entire castle, so they cannot "keep" what they find, in good conscience.  But the party has been offered no shares, so what you find and do not split with the dwarves, you keep.

126 comments:

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'll be busy for about an hour, but I'll check in if I can)

Ahmet said...

I rolled a 4, so 4+3 = 7.

Current HP is 18, maximum HP is 44.

Other than HP... any other goodies at Level 4?

Ahmet said...

Plunder!

I suppose we could search all those kobold bodies for coins, but I think time is of the essence and we should squander it for a handful of coins. Their weapons and armor are undoubtedly too small and in any event no better than what we are already carrying.

However, while Ahmet is standing over Stripey, he searches his body for anything of note -- he was tough enough, I think, to qualify as a leader-type.

I think the orange one (last seen in 3406) and the orange-spackled one (3405) also qualified as tough kobolds. Anyone else?

Lukas, you may want to retrieve some of your darts, if possible.

Also, while those barrels of pitch are interesting, don't forget there's a reinforced door at the top of 3701.

Ahmet said...

Er... we should NOT squander it for a handful of coins!

Alexis said...

Ahmet gets an additional weapon proficiency at 4th level.

Alexis said...

The dwarves have been searching the bodies, and the huts (difficult to get into). Klaas has done some searching also.

All told, putting coins together, the group has found:

238 g.p.
612 s.p.
1,258 c.p.

Alexis said...

The party should be thinking about treasure divisions. You can divide it three ways if you like, but it is good to set a policy for the future - there will come a day when you have additional henchmen, and when you may be fifth or sixth level and someone has to start a new character. Three fifth levels dividing equally with a new 1st level has always seemed a difficult prospect, as obviously the first level is not doing the same amount of work.

The best system I've ever seen used is by awarding one share per level, and judging everyone's "level" as what it would be if they were a fighter. Thus, this tends to help mages, rangers, monks and paladins (who have a hard road to hoe for levels) and curtails thieves, assassins and bards somewhat, who go up levels easily.

But I will abide by your decisions. I only suggest that a better decision made early solves a problem that's hard to settle later on.

Ahmet said...

Woohoo! Way to go Klaas. Maybe now Ahmet won't behead you.

At least until we get back to the wagon and can dump all those coins.

Can I wait until I find a magic weapon to declare my proficiency in that particular weapon? :)

Andrej said...

Ahmet, agree. I think we should spend a little time at least searching the leaders.

Alexis, I'm not sure I understand Frith's statement... is he saying that we're supposed to split this kobald loot with he and his band but that they'll be turning over their shares to Hornung as they have a bigger stake in the overall assault? Further, that since we don't have a bigger stake we three can just keep what we find here? Should we then expect to get nothing more later?

Don't take any of that as complaint, just trying to understand.

Let's split our crew into three groups. One to quickly search the and gather loot from fallen kobalds (and peek into each of the huts), a second to watch the door and the third to inventory the loot just discovered.

If agreed, Andrej will descend the stairs to begin a quick survey/ inventory. I don't want to count every barrel and sheckle, but I do want to get a sense of what's here.

Lukas and Ahmet, I think it best if we three take up with each of the three groups I described above, but won't presume to dictate your actions.

... if somebody could kick Klaas in the ass and make him useful that would be nice, though...

Lukas said...

Was Klaas ready to start piling thrown weapons as I requested? That way the dwarves could get theirs, and we ours...

I will also help search the barrels. Maybe we can find something of use for dealing with the upcoming castle.

Andrej said...

Nevermind... except the question above re: Frith's statement... still not 100% sure.

Lukas said...

Or... I could watch a door. You know I can do that.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet, after searching Mr. Stripey, will lead "Team #2" (watching the reinforced door).

Ahmet said...

I'm at the door anyway, I might as well watch it.

I vote for an even three-way split of the loot. Lukas earned it!

Alexis said...

Ahmet, I'm afraid the time has come to declare your proficiency.

Andrej,

Frith is saying that you should split the loot down the middle; half of that will be returned to the main army, for dividing up shares among the whole force. The other half BELONGS to the party.

No, this is not necessarily all there is. If you note, you can't quite see all of hex 2703.

Andrej said...

Got it. Andrej descends the stairs to survey what items are below in addition to pitch. Assuming Ahmet is committed to the door, and it looks like we've rounded up the kobald loot, why don't you join me Lukas?

Ahmet, maybe have one of the dwarven thieves check the door for traps and locks?

Alexis said...

The dwarves are searching the bodies and piling up the small swords (shaped like dirks) for reforging. He will distribute this number in half.

The dwarves have searched the bodies and only the leaders had coins.

Half the coins mentioned above are expected to fall into dwarven possession.

Warth, Aruth, Palt and Kushi are watching the door.

Several of the dwarves "went up a level" and are feeling a second wind.

Alexis said...

Would whoever is in charge of Klaas roll 2d6 please and give me the result.

Alexis said...

Lukas,

As you move down the stairs to search the barrels, you note that descending is like climbing into a cold bath. The air is literally 10 degrees cooler half way down the staircase.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet asks Batath to check the door for traps and locks.

Alexis said...

Andrej of course with note the same effect.

I'm presuming no further movement until you read and comment on this.

I will be updating the picture to give more of what you can see.

Ahmet said...

2D6: 8

Andrej said...

Regarding the party split, I don't mind lower levels getting a fair share and Lukas certainly earned it this combat. The party will be growing soon by at least one new player and soon enough by new first level characters for Ahmet and I when we hit 5th level on our current characters. Things will begin to get trickier. To Alexis's point, setting up a clean rule now will help later.

What about an even split, down the middle, for each "player" with some agreed-to value for magic and special items? New players like Lukas and the forthcoming player will benefit greatly, arguably at the expense of the higher leveled players, but the extra XP will help close the capability gap and the nest result will benefit the party as a whole.

The players will, in turn, distribute their share amongst their characters and henchman as they see fit.

Andrej said...

Andrej extends his hand to hold his friend Lukas back from descending.

"I suspect this is an effect to help preserve whatever is down here, Lukas, but some caution may still be warranted."

Andrej casts detect malevolence.

Alexis said...

The picture is updated.

Ahmet, I don't see Klaas' morale on the character sheet for him you created. Let's set it at 8 from here on. Can you also list his experience as 787?

Klaas will approach Ahmet and apologize for his cowardice. He hopes he can fare better as a defender in the future.

Alexis said...

Detect malevolence is a straight line, 60 feet (12 hexes) long. You do not detect any malevolence in this room, but note the revealed stairs down leading from 2703.

Andrej said...

Andrej will move forward at 5' per round (required for concentrating, yes?) and approach the next set of stairs indicating with hand gestures that Lukas is now free to search the contents of this chamber.

The spell will last for 30 rounds and is actually 120' path, 10' wide as per the description you provided.

Alexis said...

It is damn cold.

I believe my description, I just can't remember it. Remember, I have been running this game with no books at all!

See the updated picture on the blog.

Andrej can see a long room, 12 feet further down, about 40 feet long and 10 feet wide. There is a narrow space at 2407.

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of sacks. Each line of sacks is about four feet deep, as shown. The large yellow, brick-like bundles are huge bales of straw. You can see one more barrel at 2506.

Everything in this room, including the stairs down, is covered with a layer of frost. The far walls, 2406, 2307 and 2308, have HOAR frost on them, with spiny protrusions as long as Andrej's baby finger.

Alexis said...

Oh, and no malevolence detected.

Andrej said...

Andrej calls for Lukas and Frith to follow, "There's more!"

Then descends the stairs while concentrating on the spell.

Alexis said...

You can't call out AND concentrate.

But let's assume that Lukas informs them.

Andrej, I need you to roll a d20.

Andrej said...

d20: 6

Andrej said...

(OOC: That's it for me fellas, I'll check back in later. Great wrap-up to a monumental battle... can't wait to see what's next.)

Alexis said...

The stairs are quite slippery, but you make your dexterity check and reach the bottom.

Again, I have updated the picture.

Technically, Andrej can't see 2404, but let's let that go for now.

The hex 2304 is a slope down, just like all the others. And somewhere beyond that Andrej is getting a BIG feeling of malevolence - and as wide across as the ten foot base of the detection spell.

Lukas said...

Lukas waits when directed, then continues onwards to start investigating barrels. Tapping them with his knuckles before any actual opening.

"Wouldn't it be fancy if there were an underwater river cooling this area beneath us or something?" He considers the plausibility of this, both from an architectural and a mining stand point before returning to his search.

He also does not immediately touch anything with suspicious powders, or symbols on it. I figure you'd warn me, but for posterity sake and whatnot.

For loot, I'm happy with whatever you guys arrange. I can survive with a bunch of darts and some big tomes.

Lukas said...

Correction, I will not move past Andrej however, since he was holding me back. I want to search anything he passes. I thought he went a bit further.

Lukas said...

(OOC: Well shit it ate my post.)

In summary...

I comment about possibilities of an underground river cooling a room (inaccurately of coarse)

Then I search the barrels as Andrej passes them.

Finally I don't care how the loot is split so long as I can get me a book or two and perhaps a nice hat.

Alexis said...

It didn't; for some reason it thought your post was spam, Lukas.

Weirdness.

It's there now.

Lukas said...

(OOC: Well according to blogger I AM a robot... This has already been proven.)

If this comes down to a fight, I assume the bags are going to be some sort of obstruction?

Alexis said...

Potentially. A bigger concern might be the slippery, frosty stone floor.

Ahmet said...

We'll just light the pitch and roll the barrels down the stairs. You two are fireproof, right?

Andrej said...

Not yet, I think I get fireproof at 5th level. ;)

Alexis, can Andrej occupy hex 2605 while concentrating to try and get a better look (and feel) at 2304 and beyond? If so, he does so.

Alexis said...

Lukas first:

The barrels appear to contain beer. You'd estimate that there is more than 700 gallons here.

The pitch is quite solid. It would require slow melting over a flame before it could hope to be considered flammable.

Alexis said...

Andrej,

It requires edging into the narrow space between the rows of sacks. Apparently, from openings at the tops of the sacks (tied closed, but still bulging), these are filled with potatoes. Hundreds and hundreds of sacks of potatoes.

From 2605 you can't see much - There is some kind of large cavern between where 2303 and 2305 slopes down.

And just for a moment Andrej catches sight of a ... wing. It extends out into Andrej's line of vision and then disappears again.

The wing appeared to be about the size of a bedroll.

Andrej said...

bat-like? bird-like? ::gulp:: dragon-like?

Alexis said...

Correct answer - ::gulp::

Ahmet said...

Ahmet resolutely guards the door. Good luck down there fellas!

Any word from Batath the Thief regarding locks or traps?

Alexis said...

The reinforced door is not locked.

Alexis said...

There is no sign of a trap anywhere.

Lukas said...

Ooooh... Potatoes.

I guess dragons are one way to keep the beer cold. And they would probably do a fair job of keeping kobolds in line. Tell you what, Andrej you distract it while I thaw out this pitch...

Andrej said...

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Alexis, for the sake of thoroughness does Andrej's Field of Study & specialty: Legends & Folklore (Legendary Beasts) provide any insight or confirmation to his suspicions that this is a white dragon?

Lukas said...

Actually that may be more possible a plan than I thought. Do you think warming one cubic feet of pitch by 22 degrees might be enough to make it viable?

Alexis said...

You'll have to forgive me. If you look up kobald in wikipedia, you'll find plenty of references to Germany (so it's the natural humanoid to find in a German cave), and you'll find this:

"Fiery kobolds are also called drakes, draches, or puks. A tale from the Altmark ... describes the kobold as "a fiery stripe with a broad head, which he usually shakes from one side to the other ..." A legend from the same period taken from Pechüle, near Luckenwald, says that the kobold flies through the air as a blue stripe and carries grain. "If a knife or a fire-steel be cast at him, he will burst, and must let fall what which he is carrying." Some legends say the fiery kobold enters and exits a house through the chimney. Legends ... ascribe both human and fiery features to the kobold; he wears a red jacket and cap and moves about the air as a fiery stripe. Such fire associations, along with the name drake, may point to a connection between kobold and dragon myths."

But aren't you glad I didn't go with a lot of that?

Alexis said...

Looking it up, you'd have to increase the pitch to at least 60 degrees C to soften it, and at least 80 to 125 degrees C to liquify it (and even then it wouldn't stay liquid for long). At present, the pitch is about 2 degrees C ...

So I'm afraid the answer is no.

Alexis said...

A white dragon seems a reasonable guess ... but it might also be an ice lizard.

Andrej said...

Given the amount of wing that Andrej saw, could he estimate how large the creature is?

Alexis said...

I can't really give you that outright; you did seem to have seen a large portion of the wing - perhaps 80%. So how big is a creature with bedroll-sized wings?

A bedroll is about 5 or 6 feet wide and 7 feet long.

Andrej said...

Should I assume fantasy physics or real physics?

Alexis said...

Must be me. I don't really know what that question means.

Regarding things Andrej can do without magic, assume real physics. But if you have a magical influence you think might change real physics, ask.

Andrej said...

Real world physics: Something with usable wings of approx 40 sq. feet in size and let's assume about a 16 to 18 foot total wingspan as you describe above would be about the size of a nice-sized dog. A condor, for instance, with only a 10 foot wingspan weighs around 30 lbs or so.

Fantasy physics: throw all that shit above out the window.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but given some of the recent content on your main blog I just wanted to check. I'm assuming fantasy physics and that we're looking at something much bigger than a nice sized dog. ;)

Alexis said...

%&#&*@ engineers.

Fair enough. If it were either a dragon or an ice lizard, the wingspan would not represent 90% of their body size.

But who says such things fly by virtue of their wings?

Andrej said...

;)

Andrej ceases concentration on the spell and returns to Lukas.

"I have detected a great malevolence in the chamber beyond, whose source is wider than the area of my spell. It appears to dwell in a large cave by the look of it. I also saw a large wing and so suspect it to be either a very young dragon or an ice lizard. We should tell the others."

Barring some objection or a better idea from Lukas, Andre returns to the kobald cave.

Lukas said...

Lukas, seeing only potatoes, alchohol and pitch, follows.

Andrej said...

Assuming we're now all back together... what do you guys think? Do we try the unlocked door or fight a dragon?

On the one hand, we don't know how tough the creature truly is, the terrain is slippery and likely to foul us up, the entrance to its cave is a single-file bottleneck and we're already depleted from ravaging a tribe of kobalds. Further, it's not really impeding our progress at all we can simply bypass it and focus on the keep, so there's no good reason to attack it.

On the other hand, it's a big lizard.

Ahmet said...

As much as Ahmet would love to tangle with a dragon, I vote to bypass it. We have a mission. When we slay the Bishop and all get healed, we can come back to play with the lizard.

Andrej said...

One vote to bypass. Lukas?

Alexis said...

Frith asks, "Did you see if it has a means of escaping the tunnels? Could it fly out and attack the forces storming the castle?"

Lukas said...

"Furthermore who is to say it won't just squeeze in behind us at an inopportune moment?" Lukas adds.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: You guys are gluttons for punishment.)

Ahmet's eyes twinkle at the opportunity to slay a dragon.

Can he think of any reason, from a mining/underground perspective, as to the purpose of the pitch?

Alexis said...

Cash value?

Alexis said...

Stored for use in repairing holes?

Ahmet said...

Where did Andrej spot the wing -- in the large cavern, or closer to the stairs?

Andrej said...

"I saw no such means of escape Frith, but I had a very limited look at the cave. As for slipping in behind us it would have to be capable of shrinking to do so I think."

Andrej said...

On a related note, how are we doing on healing salves? I've got four of my original 6 (5 plus one of my own). Frith, Lukas and Ahemt were each given 5 and Zoft was given 10.

Alexis said...

The dwarves have expended theirs.

Frith will tell Batath to take two dwarves and to have a look at the cave, to take no action but to see all he's able to see. Batath chooses Salth and Balther.

Lukas said...

I'm at 3 salves.
I think its very important we deal with this somehow... even if it involves caving in things.




I bet fire dragons find pitch like taffy. I prefer to imagine them getting it as a dragon treat before they got a frost dragon. I also like to believe frost dragons are both fond of potatoes and beer. If we're lucky maybe it's a vegetarian?

Ahmet said...

I have one salve left.

Andrej said...

While the dwarves scout, Andrej samples some small amount of beer from one of the barrels in hex 2603 with his wooden mug. If sufficiently tasty he fills the mug and passes it to Lukas. Might as well die happy.

Andrej said...

Andrej tosses three of his remaining four slaves to Ahmet. "Load up, turk. Whether its the door or the lizard's den, I image you'll insist on going in first."

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Think I should use them now? I'm at 18 HP, out of 44)

Alexis said...

Beer tastes like Isenbeck Pilsner.

Alexis said...

Batath will return to explain that there are three entrances to the cave; 2304, just beyond 2307, and past 2209. They're all five feet wide, and they all have a slope but no stairs.

It does appear to be a dragon - white and blue in color. There is an enormous tunnel leading out of the roof. The cave is covered in ice and is about 40 x 40 feet.

Batath could identify gold and other metals buried under mounded, crystal blue ice.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I have a meeting starting in about 20 minutes. It is probably going to go on most of the afternoon, so I'm almost done for the day)

Andrej said...

"Ah, Paderborn's own. His excellency has good taste, at least. Lukas, you must have some. Pass it along"

(OOC: Use them now is my advice, Ahmet.)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: No dragon can stand against a squad of drunken Dwarfs!)

Ahmet applies his own salve and Andrej's three...

D4: 2
D4: 3
D4: 4
D4: 3

12... taking me to 30.

Bring on the wyrm!

Alexis said...

I haven't got the rule in front of me, but I believe that being a bit drunk increases hit points. If so, the dwarves will be encouraged by Frith to get a good head on; but take that in reservation - I'll have to look at the rule when I get home.

Andrej said...

Andrej asks Batath his opinion on the footing in the cave. Could our force engage in melee there without falling on our asses?

Also, we should revisit the pitch idea...

Finally, we should also at least peek behind the large door we have yet to open before we decide upon any course of action. Is Frith willing to send dwarves to scout that as well?

Ahmet said...

Ahmet, as a good quasi-Muslim, declines any offers of beer.

In the meantime, he retrieves his heavy crossbow from Klaas and "two-thirds" loads it, so it will take one more round to load it and then can be fired the second round.

Alexis said...

Batath is sure the force will slip around on the floor - then has an inspiration. If the pitch could be at least softened to the point where it could be scraped from the surface, perhaps it could be applied to boots to make them sticky.

(OOC: I swear I just thought of that)

Alexis said...

(OOC: All right, I'm gone. You all take care)

Ahmet said...

Yes, I think we should peek behind the door, so at least we know what's back there.

Of course, the downside is as soon as we open the door, if there's something right on the other side, it knows we're here.

Alternately, we could attempt to temporarily bar/block the door (if it opens toward us, anyway) while we fight the dragon or ice gecko or giant arctic bat or whatever it is.

Lukas said...

I assume it is passed on. Lukas accepts the mug takes a bit of a taste and passes it on.

"Let's earn us some gold shall we?"

Lukas said...

I sure hope it doesn't try to flee if we start to win. We don't have a net or anything I think.

Andrej said...

If there's something right on the other side, we should find out about it now either way is my view. If you and Lukas agree Ahmet let's convince Frith that we need to find out what's immediately beyond the door and await word from most likely Batath, standing nearby to assist the dwarves as necessary.

Let's also set Klass and some other dwarves to softening pitch. We still have torches at hand and can get a fire going.

We must also await the details of the beer and hit points rule from Alexis and factor that into our decision-making.

As all this activity takes place Andrej will begin sizing up the condition of the dwarves. Who is still hurt? Badly?

Andrej said...

(OOC: Take it easy Alexis. I'll check in a bit later. Take care all)

Alexis said...

Okey doke.

Not much for energy today, fellas - though I have time. For some reason work I'm supposed to have I don't, which makes me both grateful and concerned. But ... it is what it is.

I looked up the rules about intoxication and they're pretty silly. Moderate intoxication will give you 1 more hit point, penalizes your to hit (-1) and drops 2 to 4 points off your wisdom, intelligence, dexterity, etc.

I'm going to change that rule:

Slight Intoxication: gain 1 hp, -1 wis & int.

Moderate Intoxication: gain 2-5 hp, -2 wis & int, -1 to all other stats, -1 to hit.

Heavy Intoxication: gain 2-7 hp, -3 to all stats, -2 to hit, -1 damage.

Great Intoxication: gain 2-9 hp, -4 wis & int, -5 to all other stats, -3 to hit, -3 damage.

James C. said...

Personally I'm going to skip intoxication.

Ahmet and Lukas, how do you feel about: having Frith send a dwarf or three to recon the door while Klaas and other dwarves soften pitch?

Alexis said...

Unless you have a condition where you can't resist alcohol, you choose the level of intoxication you'd like to be at. The dwarves are all going to be moderately intoxicated.

Bravery, or bonus against fear, is +1 per level of intoxication. Remember that dragons cause fear in creatures with 4 hit dice or less (up to 3rd level), so you have to make save vs. fear or you're helpless. Thus the decision for the dwarves to sacrifice the hit in favour of having +2 vs. fear.

Alexis said...

Upon thinking about it, pitch won't work to make your feet sticky; it will just freeze and harden and become as slippery as rubber shoes on hard ice (not helpful). So, in effect, every time you swing or move, you'll have to make a dex check to stay on your feet. Everyone's movement will be reduced by 1 mp.

Alexis said...

Regarding the dwarves; they've been kicked around some - but as I said, a good number of them went up a level and increased their hit points by 1-10. Vala and Ermeth were the worst off; Vala jumped a level and Ermeth got the balance of the healing salves. They're both functional.

None of the dwarves are in great stead. They suffered something like 210 hit points overall - its surprising I didn't kill any of them.

Alexis said...

The door is examined and checked by Warth, listed at by Batath. It is unlocked, and according to Warth, will open easily.

However - nothing came through to defend the kobalds, and the last kobalds had plenty of chance to flee or beg for help from the other side. Warth suggests that whatever might be out there obviously doesn't wish to help the kobalds, was not appealed to by the kobalds, and probably won't therefore come to investigate.

"I know as a soldier I'd keep to my post, and not break my position of defense by approaching the enemy once they'd breached my first line. If there's any that's dangerous at all out there, they'll keep their ground and let us come to them."

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Hm... they didn't run to their dragon, either.)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet of course declines to drink, but orders Klaas to reach moderate intoxication, mostly to try to keep him in the fight.

Andrej said...

Quietly, so as to not embarrass poor Klaas anymore "Might we have Klaas watch the door instead, Ahmet? If the otyugh and kobalds unnerved him so, what can we hope from him against a dragon? Were Emmanuel here I would have him do it."

Alexis said...

Klaas doesn't need to be "ordered."

Lukas said...

Hrm, should I risk moderate intoxication? Will that effect my spellcasting?

If we can get some of that hay and spread it, would that help against slipping? Also did any of the dwarves by chance have any salt? That's used to prevent slipping...

Alexis said...

It shouldn't affect your spellcasting, Lukas, unless it brings your intelligence below 9 (whereupon you wouldn't have the minimum for a mage, and thus couldn't cast at all). The real threat is an ability check, such as slipping on ice.

Alexis said...

Now, there's one more thing I'd like to cover before I leave this thread.

Could you please indicate if you are not clear or if you disagree with any of these points:

1) half the treasure, including the coin, is to be considered part of the dwarven take (and therefore, for the general army).

2) the remaining half of the treasure is to be evenly divided between Andrej, Lukas and Ahmet, one share each.

3) like previous occasions, I should just give experience for the treasure as a lump sum, divided according to point (2).

I can move forward on this when I have assent from everyone.

Ahmet said...

Aye, aye, and aye -- although we could quibble on Point 1 and claim that they owe us some of their half of the coins in exchange for our half of the kobold dirks. But I don't want to quibble.

Why doesn't Klaas need to be ordered?

Alexis said...

He doesn't need to be ordered to drink. He can't wait to drink.

Ahmet said...

Ah, in that case... Ahmet orders him to stop when he reaches moderate intoxication. :)

My thought, Andrej, was to take Klaas along as a crossbowman. But we could leave him watching the door if you prefer. (In which case, we probably don't want him drinking beyond "light" intoxication, so let's decide before he gets started.) But even if Klaas is on the door, I don't think he should be the ONLY guy on the door -- maybe leave him there with a couple of the most badly injured Dwarves?

Alexis said...

Sorry, I missed that. Ahmet, I was counting half the dirks as part of the overall treasure; they're worth money as "wrought iron" - about 416 c.p. apiece.

Ahmet said...

Ah, I see.

Lukas said...

I agree with those points.

Alright, let's drink to moderate intoxication, to treasure, to victory and to lost allies.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Sorry guys, was away)

Aye, aye and aye.

Leaving dwarves behind might not be an option, but if Frith is agreeable I'm now suddenly worried about having enough of a force for the dragon. It's probably quite young (I hope) but still dangerous, particularly with Alexis's mass rules, incidental damage, stunning and the terrain.

By comparison, our aborted and ill-conceived rush at the front gate seems saner in my view.

Andrej said...

Now that I've had time to consider it more I think your initial idea regarding Klaas is best. Have him man the crossbow. I just wanted to peek behind the door, not tie somebody to it.

Alexis, a Bless spell helps bolster morale... would this help a player-character make a fear check? Description below:

"Morale is raised, and to hit rolls by +1; each person blessed must be touched by the cleric “in mass.” Only members of the cleric’s religion may be so blessed. The duration of the spell is one hour. If any blessed person takes actions against the tenets of their religion (subject to interpretation), the spell will be broken.
The reverse of the spell, curse, will curse heathens so they are –1 to hit. The spell casting time will be reduced to one round, if the cleric is able to touch the cursed heathen. The cleric may touch up to twelve heathens. this curse will be a one-day punishment involving a penalty of –1 to any die roll."

Alexis said...

Yes, I'm fairly certain the bless spell gives a +1 saving throw.

Andrej said...

Then as part of our preparations Andrej conducts a short mass and blesses all Catholics, including himself. That would be Lukas, Klaas (I believe), Andrej and that's it unless there are Catholic dwarves. Andrej mentions aloud that if Zoft has a blessing he's been saving, now might be the time to apply it.

Alexis said...

All told, the complete value of all treasure was 4,357 g.p., 10 s.p. & 2 c.p. This is divided in half with the dwarves, then in thirds for the party members.

Per person, Ahmet, Andrej & Lukas can take 798 x.p. each, 10% bonus included.

Andrej said...

Finally, don't forget we have 6 flasks oil with rags in them unless the dwarves somehow used more than the three they were allotted. Andrej used only one then abandoned that tactic after nearly setting a pyramid of dwarves on fire. I intend to make my first attack with the oil. Anybody else?

Ahmet said...

After we peek, I would like to quickly erect some kind of temporary barricade against the door, if we can arrange it.

Are you SURE you just don't want to bypass the baby dragon? It just seems suicidal given the terrain. It's like the otyugh, but with a breath weapon.

And even if we inflict some damage on it -- it's just going to fly away.

Andrej said...

If it flies away we've weakened it at least... and we have its treasure!

I'm not determined to see it dead, Ahmet, but Frith and Lukas seemed to be. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Ahmet said...

OK. I do like that we have six flasks of oil... that might help.

Lukas said...

A: I just breached 2nd level, does anyone have some parchment? Or bark? Or a book with some blank paper? No? I have a sudden urge to write something...

B: Avoiding may not help, like I said, it might just come up behind us. Though torching it then shooting until it walks through the inferno might help.

Alexis said...

Are you flat out of spellbook, Lukas?

Alexis said...

This is continued on the next post.