Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Kobalds Round 9: There's More?


Andrej can see a part of the yellow level, at the top of the stairs above orange, and a part of the pink level above yellow.  He can see two bowmen on the highest level.  Andrej can see the bowmen loading, and realizes he could be a target next round, as well as Ermeth.

The Dwarves attack for the rest of round 8.

Ermeth finds one of the two kobalds is tougher than he realized, and rather than getting two attacks, gets only one against him.  But Ermeth does hit, and the stronger kobald is stunned and staggers back (Ermeth can see him, but the party can't). The other kobald blocks Ermeth's way, and Ermeth cannot climb the stairs.  Other dwarves remain piled up behind him.

Zoft attacks the kobald Ahmet missed, gaining a +1 to hit from flanking.  Zoft misses.  Kushi completes climbing the stairs, attacks the same kobald and kills him.  Kushi moves into that hex.  Other dwarves move up the stairs.

Aruth climbs onto the house next to Andrej.  Aruth isn't tall enough to see what Andrej sees.

Frith and Mega drop to the bottom level.

The kobalds fight back.

The bowmen who were in 3008 drop back, loading.  The others in 3205 are loading.  Two kobald swordsmen move forward to occupy 3008.

(Don't worry that a lot of this isn't exactly clear - it isn't directly affecting the party).

The kobald that was stunned by Ermeth has its place taken by another, and both attack Ermeth.  Neither hits.

This ends the kobald's round.

Ahmet, you're somewhat jammed in now; Warth shouts at you to start a pyramid up to 3008, to bypass the stairs.  Lukas and Andrej, whatever you're able to do.

19 comments:

Lukas said...

Question, If I were to stand behind a hut, could I see and throw over it at those at the top of the slope? Furthermore, could I use it for cover? Otherwise I'm contemplating using it for throwing from...

Not to rub it in for anyone, but... I like having 5 MP...

Alexis said...

The edge of the huts are 4 feet high; the hut peaks are 5 feet. Lukas is 6 foot two - so the answer is yes, Lukas can effectively throw over a hut. I think Ahmet and Andrej would be too short.

Ahmet said...

Ooh... Tao after dark. This feels so wrong! And yet... so right.

Ahmet asks Lukas to retrieve his two daggers (they are in the kobolds at Lukas's feet, or at least I hope they are).

With nowhere else to go at the moment, he gets on pyramid duty.

Andrej said...

"More stairs and kobolds ahead!"

Andrej hops down into 2910 and if possible moves into 2909 (3 MP).

Lukas said...

Lukas will consider how much time it would take to get and stow said daggers, and decides that it would be better spent later while waiting for the mass of dwarves to move forwards up the next tier.

For now, Lukas moves to 2609 and lobs a dart at one of the kobolds he can see. I assume he can see the ones at the top of the stairs? Either one will do.

I think after some research, some range penalties should be applied from stock rules, only horizontally applied 20 feet is medium range, so it's looking like long range?

d20: 13 (16 +2 -5)
d3: 3

Alexis said...

Ahmet,

The dwarves will encourage you to be the top of the pyramid; this will mean you will probably be attacked by 3008 before you're able to attack them, and that you'll have to attack them with a penalty, since you'll be standing on dwarven shoulders and not solid ground. Is this acceptable?

Alexis said...

Andrej,

Warth is trying to organize the dwarves so they will space themselves out, one to a hex; remember that you cannot attack if you are in a hex with another person. Warth will clear 2909 for Andrej, to enable this.

Andrej said...

Andrej nods his thanks to Warth, and slams his mace onto his shield face as he assumes position in 2909.

Alexis said...

Lukas, your range on darts is 2 hexes for point blank, 3-6 hexes for close, 7-10 hexes for medium and 11-14 hexes for long. As such, the two kobalds in 3108 are a mere 5 hexes away, and there is no penalty. You appear to have killed the kobald on the right.

Alexis said...

Warth is also going to shout at Ahmet NOT to climb on the pyramid: "There's going to be another volley in a few seconds - if you show your head over that ledge you'll lose it!"

Ahmet said...

Andrej, why don't you leave 2909 for me, and follow me up the stairs?

Alexis said...

(OOC: For the record, I had an attack of insomnia last night and I have not actually been asleep for nearly 28 hours. I do not know what my status will be for the rest of the day; I have a bit of time, but I am also plagued by high mucky-mucks wandering the corridors.

Most of last night was spent on my back helplessly compiling a civilization post - I may go write that. If the corridors clear, and Ahmet can sort out what he wants to do, I may get another round up today before going home)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet goes to 2909 and up the stairs. If not, he sits this round out while waiting for the Dwarves to organize the pyramid.

And Lukas, if you have any MPs left, get those daggers :)

Alexis said...

Lukas hasn't enough this round to go back and get them.

Alexis said...

Give me some time, and I will see about building the next round/post. Ahmet moving into Andrej's hex will increase the likelihood of the kobalds hitting both of them - two kobalds have gotten a hold of javelins and will be using them after the dwarves complete the round.

Andrej said...

Ahmet, I was planning on going up the stairs since you seemed committed to the pyramid. I'll follow you up instead if you promise to clear a path for me to stand in at the top. I've yet to score a hit in 10 rounds and my killing hand is getting itchy. :)

Lukas said...

My logic works like this Ahmet, If I grab your daggers, they wont be used this combat. If I don't grab your daggers, they wont be used this combat.

If I however spend the round attacking, and kill something, then we lose less men/HP for whatever terrible thing wants to kill us later.

At some point, I wont be able to target anything or get up the slope. At that point I will get your daggers :P

Andrej said...

Seems like sound logic to me.

Do what you can and want to do as far as we go, Alexis. I'll be around today and tomorrow to play as you and the others are able.

Alexis said...

The next post is up.