Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Otyugh Round 1: Through the Tulip Magic Growth Soil

The image below shows ONLY what the party can see; there are three lanterns at the moment: Klaas, Joost and Palt.  The separated light source at the top is the one that shows from the tunnel.

Obviously, the light/non-light is not as sharp as the map shows - but there's plenty of detail to express here, including the numbers on the hexes themselves, so I've made a concession and not bled the torchlight into the darkness.

The dwarves make their way down, followed by Ahmet and Joost, and here is the position the party reaches for the moment.  The dwarves at the top of the slope (hard to distinguish now, but compare with the previous map) keep ready with their slings, for the first sign of trouble.  Salth and Ganzor are in the process of rapelling down the slope from the tied off rope.

The muck is about 9 inches deep at best, and 15 inches deep at worst.  It smells awful ... and while Ganzor makes one soft-spoken crack about it - that it smells like Aruth's mother's kitchen - there's very little chatter.  It is like walking in heavy mud; hex-movement is halved between the slope and where the cavern rises at the top end (anywhere in the brown hexes, less evidently brown in the yellow torchlight).

The pond, which is hard to see in the gloom, begins blurping with great gusto at this point.

UPDATE:

Something emerges ...

26 comments:

Ahmet said...

Can the Dwarves (or Andrej) see any better than us mere humans?

Andrej said...

At the sound of the blurping Andrej moves to hex 1420 (3 hexes) Pointing his back to all light sources and using his shield (left arm) to help block the interfering lantern light tries to use his infravision to discern more from the area where the bubble was previously spotted (hex 1516 or thereabouts).

Alexis said...

Ahmet; not so long as there's a light source, as per the rules.

Andrej; it may be hard to tell with all the different colors; hex 1420 is part of the slope, and as such you cannot stand on it. You can slip to the bottom, not ending on your belly or your back if you make a dex check (ending at 1419 or 1519), but you cannot stand on that hex. Batath and Odval are depicted standing on the slope, but in fact they are on the very rim of it (I centered them in their hexes for convenience, so you could see the hex numbers)

Andrej said...

Ok... Andrej asks Odval and Batath to shield their eyes from the lantern light and see if they can discern anything happening at or near hex 1516.

Alexis said...

At best, Odval and Batath can see something stirring in the water - it is impossible to get any details whatsoever in this light.

Alexis said...

It is at this point that something emerges from the darkness ...

(see updated image at the bottom of the most recent post)

Ahmet said...

Let's try to hurry along and get the front six Dwarves to move up and allow more men on the line. Ermeth and Palt should watch the exit to make sure nothing else comes in, while Frith, Mega, Aruth, and Kushi form a line from 1511 through 1213 facing the pond. Then everyone else lines up behind Ahmet (backs to the wall) starting at 1113.

Alexis said...

Ahmet,

While I considered giving the party control of the dwarves, I have chosen not to do so; you can ask them to do things, if you have the time, but you cannot decide where they go or what they do.

At the moment, the party has TWO ROUNDS with which to take action. Ahmet can try to instruct the dwarves immediately around him, but he cannot organize the whole troop, nor does he have the time.

The party should concentrate on what they do; Ahmet can control Joost; Lukas can control Klaas (if I haven't mixed them up - if I had, please tell me, and I will move Klaas next to Ahmet and move Joost next to Lukas).

Ahmet said...

OK.

What are the Dwarves doing?

Alexis said...

Unless you want to sacrifice your movement and actions while you watch the dwarves take their moves and actions, you have no definite idea at this time. Take one round of action, and I'll indicate what all the dwarves are doing for that round - you'll still have one round of movement thereafter.

Lukas said...

Alas poor Kushi, they are about to die a terrible death... At least based on the pointing of that tentacle.

(OOC: This reminds me of an event in Lord of the Rings Online involving the Watcher.)

Lukas will note Andrej's curiosity in the distance from behind his rock, and move to see better. I will have Klaas also be curious, because it serves me better. Klaas to 1322, Lukas to 1223

Ahmet said...

Can I move down the slope to 1316 and attack, or will that require a Dex check?

Alexis said...

Ah, confusion.

Ahmet; the bottom of the slope is the line that runs through 1118, 1219, 1319, 1420, 1519 and 1619. You are on the flat, in 1117.

Give me a bit, and I'm going to remove the yellow lantern coloring. I thought it would be neat, but its only annoying.

Remember, Ahmet, that in the sludge (no one has made any finalized move yet), your movement cost per hex is 2 movement. Thus, to move to 1217 will cost 2 movement, and to 1316, 4 movement. This will not leave you enough time to attack this round. Also, the tentacle has a reach of 16 feet, so it will be difficult to hit, as it is sweeping high in the air. I only want to give you more information to help you make a decision.

Now I'll set about publishing a pic without the yellow.

Alexis said...

Done.

Andrej said...

Andrej moves between/ through Seth and Nerga, into hexes 1320 and then 1319, accepting that he'll be sliding down the slope as he does so. What would all of the movement cost?

Alexis said...

Andrej,

The slope, and the sliding upon it, will soak up all your movement for the first round (you have to regain your balance at the bottom); please roll a d20.

Andrej said...

d20: 12

Alexis said...

Andrej retains his footing and ends up at 1319.

Awaiting Ahmet's final location.

Alexis said...

Sorry ... Joost also.

Lukas said...

I get the feeling it will involve an attempted flying leap over the difficult hexes into the maw of the beast itself.

Ahmet said...

Thanks Alexis.

I definitely want to get close enough to whack the thing... hopefully the body and not just the tentacles.

My intention is to move to 1217 (2 M.P., leaving me with 1, but I can't do anything with it), and continue charging to 1316 (1 M.P., as it is a charge), which would leave me with 2 M.P. so I could attack -- assuming there's something within range.

Does that work?

Ahmet said...

And brave Klaas follows me into the beast's maw.

Andrej said...

(OOC: You were close, Lukas, you were close)

Ahmet said...

Er... Joost.

Alexis said...

I think that works fine, Ahmet. I'll get the next map up this afternoon.

Alexis said...

Next post.