Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Otyugh Battle Ends


Andrej misses, Klaas loses heart and Ahmet wades into the pond. 

Ganzor examines the far side of the pond.  Palt hands off his torch to Mega, who takes his place.  Odval wades into the pond with Ahmet.  Seth and Batath confirm that Joost is truly dead.

Salth is patched up and encourages his brother not to worry.  Erdina takes a place behind Seth and Batath.  Htuya and Worter spread themselves out at the bottom of the slope.

Warth and Culf both step forward to attack.  Culf misses, but Warth hits it with a clean natural 20.  In all he does 10 damage to the creature; it screams and wallows in the mud.

Vala throws her axe at the creature at point blank range (+1 to hit within 2 hexes) (I know, I know, you may not have known about the point blank rule, but you know now, so no worries).  Vala hits with a 17, and the axe seems to have done it.   The creature seems to shrink, it quivers ... the tentacles curl and slap in the water ... the mouth heaves a sigh of fetid, repulsive gas that makes everyone compelled to vomit, and the creature dies.

Zoft lifts himself from the muck and throws up like everyone else.

47 comments:

Ahmet said...

"I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

Alexis said...

At this point, I can give the party their experience.

Ahmet did an impressive amount of damage (27), and took the most to boot. 753 x.p.

Andrej, I've included experience for the eel; you had a chance to do more than this, but not bad. Always remember a cleric needs less. 511 x.p.

Lukas, I wish it were more, but there's no way to get much experience without putting yourself in danger - but we're not done this underground thing yet. 302 x.p.

Klaas lived. That's the main thing. 90 x.p.

Joost's death was a significant boost to everyone's experience; watching a party member die keeps everyone on their toes, makes them smarter and more careful (thus, more hit points and greater motivation for hitting/conceiving spells)

Alexis said...

(OOC: yes, I knew someone was going to say that, Ahmet!)

Andrej said...

Once complete vomiting Andrej will ask Seth and/ or Batath to aid him in hauling what remains of Joost out of the muck and back up the slope.

"Frith, perhaps we should see where the exit tunnel leads and post guards? Ahemt, this thing has not been here long bu should we check the pool?"

I know the likelihood of submerged treasure is not great here, but we know we've at left at least one gold-filled pool uninvestigated since we've been playing together and we may have some time... perhaps a search of the pool is in order?

Alexis said...

At the moment Zoft is concerned about Andrej's leg - it was bitten by the thing's mouth and seems not to be in good shape at the moment (Andrej's adrenaline might not have noticed).

Warth is of the opinion that if the clash of arms didn't wake or bring anything in the last two minutes, he's confident there's nothing behind you. He agrees, however, that Joost should be carried up the slope. He wishes for fresh water to wash everyone, but doesn't see the eels as a good source for it.

Ganzor's leg, too, looks pretty bad.

Lukas said...

Lukas tries to keep Klaas together, and get him to push further on. Likely with talk of revenge, doing it for all the people they will save and whatnot. Probably throw in something about 110% and being 'with him all the way' in there too.

Then he proceeds down the slope and should Klaas follow, sticks close to him following the dwarves.

After the bottom he ensures we reload the crossbow to be ready for the next encounter, while Lukas debates the plausibility of finding darts in that mess.

Alexis, I'm ok with 'only' 302. Judging by the 12 that hit Joost, taking even one hit seems like it would have been a bad thing. Furthermore, as you said, it's not over yet. Also I got more than half what higher levels got, meaning I'm probably getting similar XP to XP to level ratios.

Alexis said...

(GCI: Joost was not a 'level,' so he needs only to be reduced to less than zero hit points in order to kill him. Klaas is in the same boat.

The party, however, can survive hits down to -9 hit points; it takes -10 to kill you. Thus, Lukas could take that 12 damage, though it would hurt a lot)

Lukas said...

Oh furthermore, Lukas offers his 'clean' and 'freshen' spell to help the most likely to be infected by filthy wounds.

Ahmet said...

"Can anyone swim?" asks Ahmet, who cannot.

Alexis said...

I haven't checked any of the dwarves for swimming ability; but they won't go. Any with wounds want to get out of the muck first off, since feces infects wounds, and none of them wants to invite the infection of feces flowing into their ears, mouths or any other orifice on their bodies.

Lukas said...

(OOC: 2-3 incidental, 9 from hit = stun, 2-3 more incidental... I'll keep the point blank in mind, but when it's one big beasty, I'll ping him with darts from the distance for now. When we have a mass of guards, I'll get closer)

Alexis said...

Lukas, you end up applying both cantrips; to clean Andrej's wound, and freshen some of the food that zoft dropped when he fell.

Andrej said...

Thanks Lukas. Don't be shy about using your healing slaves, folks. I'll leave it to Frith and Zoft to distribute their share to their troop.

Andrej uses two healing salves on himself: 6 hit points returned total

Is Andrej's wound clean? Are there any other infected-looking wounds on others?

Andrej has a gallon of water with him and can create another 108 litres should we have a place to keep it. He lets Frith know this.

Lukas said...

Freshen is for the duration of the spell, I should have implied I was using it on possibly 'spoiled' water for rinsing perhaps? Although then any water used becomes spoiled again... so dry off quickly? Maybe it's not so useful right now.

Alexis said...

"Be nice if you could create it as a shower," says Frith. All we've got is the floor."

Most of the dwarves are now in the dry part beyond the pond. The others have left Joost on the highest place above the slope; Zoft has said a word or two, and promises that he'll be buried.

"If not by us, Father Andrej, then by those who investigate to see what's become of us."

Alexis said...

Freshen won't purify water; it will only return something to its previous state. You might be able to clean the feces from the water, but there's nothing to say that underground here the water isn't naturally contaminated with something else.

Andrej said...

Andrej nods grimly to Zoft, placing his blanket from his pack over the body and saying his own brief words.

Andrej arranges those who waded into the muck into as tight a group as possible and creates ~28 gallons of water above us to help wash up some.

Alexis said...

It helps, Andrej. At least, it gets a lot of the gunk out of the dwarves' hair and off their faces.

Andrej said...

I'm ready to form back up and push on, and inform Firth. The pool can wait.

Lukas said...

Lukas shows that he is ready, standing next to Klaas.

Alexis said...

Frith uses five of their healing salves, three of them on Salth. The dwarves are all combat ready.

Alexis said...

Are all characters updated for number of darts (two lost in the pool, Lukas), experience, hit points, etc.?

Lukas said...

I got my XP, I'll take note of the darts, since I think you missed that reply.

Alexis said...

I think I remember it, Lukas. Just trying to keep all tidy.

Ahmet said...

I'll have to update tonight...

I'm currently at 24 HP (out of 37). Healing salves are 1D4, correct?

Alexis said...

Yes, a d4 for salves.

I believe I'll have Aruth carry the extra glaive, in case an extra weapon is needed.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet takes four salves. He uses two now and saves two for the next neo-otyugh.

D4: 2
D4: 3

Lukas said...

(OOC: No no no, next is going to be goblin stand-ins followed by a cave troll stand-in. The final encounter being a Balrog we flee from.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Careful Lukas, you're the wizard so if anybody has to take a bath with the Balrog its you... "You shall not pass!")

My char sheet is ready and so am I. Let's form back up and see what that light source ahead is and where the tunnel leads.

Andrej said...

Ahmet, you were given 5 healing salves from our stash so actually have three left.

Lukas, you also have 5 and the Frith and Zoft had 15 between them.

So... Ahmet has 3 left, Andrej has 4 (I already had one of my own, making six total), Lukas has all 5 of his and let's say Zoft and Frith each have 5 apiece rather than Zoft having 10.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'll be slow to start today. I'll put up the new post when I can; there won't be any need to move incrementally until there's another combat - at which point I'll throw up another map. In the meantime, we can play a bit more loose.

Please tell me how that combat went technically online, and if you have any ideas for how we might do it more smoothly)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Stick with the one post per round, that's working and makes things much easier to follow.

I thought the combat went just fine for what it was: a fight with a large number of participants in a pain-in-the-ass environment (slope, slimy floor and murky water). If we had more time to be online together all at once it would run more quickly. The slower pace doesn't mean it didn't run smoothly, though, it just took time to work through each round during our available time during the day.

This combat ran much smoother than the aborted charge at the gate, for instance. We seem to understand movement much better now.

Lukas said...

Combat went smooth enough for me. But I feel like with the way things are, slowly avenues will open up and we will begin learning and using certain tricks as we do.

Alexis said...

(OOC:

Overall, I'd like to balance the urge to move forward with the trepidation of entering rooms, the contents of which cannot be known. Whereas I know what's ahead and dangerous, the party doesn't, and that angst is worth milking. At the same time, we can wind up losing up to a week on something that in fact isn't dangerous at all. It is easy enough in an ordinary campaign to get caught up with mundane details, believing them to be critical to survival ... but online like this, that sort of thing can be death.

So it is not that I don't want the party to investigate details - obviously, you want to. But I would encourage you all to question your own certainties from time to time; sometimes, in dressing a room in text, its even easier to focus on a particular set of words just because I happen to have strung them together, and think those words are of absolute dire importance. This is, most of the time, not going to be the case. I do wax eloquently when I describe what you see - be warned that most of the time, about 99% I'd say, its primarily just eloquence and nothing more.

Anything really dangerous is going to be a trap or a monster. Unfortunately, none of you are a thief; so unless the trap is the kind of thing Andrej can detect, or the kind of thing dwarves notice, you'll probably be utterly unable to avoid it. True enough, not all monsters are going to be blithering obvious. I know you're going to be careful.

I just hope you can restrain yourselves from becoming obsessed where there's no blatant reason to be. Thoughts?)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Without knowing what to expect yet I can only say I'd approach the coming dungeon crawl in the same manner I've tried to approach the entire campaign... learn what I can from you, listen to the other players and then recommend or agree upon some decisive action. I'll certainly closely consider your words as we go forward from here.)

Once the source of the light is discovered and we confirm there's a door here (I believe there was when Ahmet and Lukas last delved here) my plan was to recommend we form a scouting party to move ahead of the main host and do the typical "dungeon delving". The two groups would remain in shouting distance but use runners back and forth as we move up. Not having a monk or thief about hurts, but we gotta go with what we have. That's as cautious as I was going to be.

By the way, Andrej can't detect traps with a spell.

Alexis said...

(OOC: making reference that some traps include elements which could be seen as "malevolent" or "magic")

Frith is interested in reserving some of his party who have been torn up some. He suggests sending forward Warth, Odval, Erdina and Batath - and acknowledges Ahmet's clear abilities as a fighter, encouraging Ahmet to lead on point. Warth will do so if Ahmet would rather not.

Lukas said...

Lukas looks to Ahmet and Andrej. He's certainly willing to go forwards with them.

Alexis said...

Klaas would like permission to hang back with the other dwarves.

Andrej said...

Lukas, your call but I'd advise keeping Klaas close by whichever way you decide. There's no shame in sticking with the dwarves and we'll be regrouping before any significant engagement with the enemy either way. I don't want you to miss out on XP but even more than that I want you to survive.

I want to be in the forward group with Ahmet if he's willing, possibly as their rear guard.

Alexis, Can we designate two of Frith's company as runners, one to stay with each group and relay messages as needed?

Alexis said...

Klaas failed his morale check, and at the moment seems completely rattled and terrified; bringing him along would not cause him to suddenly be battle-ready; he's had a scare and until he gets a taste of something good and successful, he's not much use anyway.

Alexis said...

Frith was thinking that, Andrej. He'll designate Palt and Vala as runners.

Lukas said...

I want to come with. I'm not concerned about spontaneously combusting. As I said before, I'm going to be helpful, but safe, and I am not really going to help waiting with the dwarves. I will not however, be blindly going into close range with anything that has 17 foot tentacles. This I don't think you can fault me for.

Andrej said...

Great, we'll take Palt for now and Klaas stays.

Ahmet leads the way with Warth at his elbow. Odval, Erdina and Batath take the middle and Andrej trails with Palt. Lukas, if you're with us stick with the middle group is my advice. If not, stick with Klass and the main.

Since there's light ahead no need for us to carry it (for now).

Let the main host stay here. The forward group moves out to the tunnel leading away from the pool.

Ahmet, based on what we find keep in mind the main host is staying put. When we're ready to have them move up send word down the line and I'll dispatch Palt.

Are we ready?

Ahmet said...

Sorry... finally coming up for air.

Yes, I'm ready. Proud to be in the vanguard.

Move out!

Alexis said...

The next post is up.

Andrej said...

woo-hoo!

Alexis said...

Thought it never would?

I admit, I was surprised to finish off the otyugh yesterday; pleased as punch, too, since it did mean not dragging the thing out further.

I hope further combats will measure out in kind.