Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Dwarves & The Font

September 11, 1650, early afternoon Thursday
Weather:  cool, with cloudy conditions and a light air

The weather hardly changes, except that the breeze almost dies completely.  It is a tolerable day, with just that slight edge that comes from a typical autumn day.  The officer Nachnamen seems to be a tolerable and efficient fellow, who does not attempt to force his regimen upon either the dwarves or the party.  He passes the word along that the weather has been predicted and that intermittent drizzles are predicted for the evening and night - he hopes everyone is prepared to for some slight wet.

The party learns that Culf is the cook; that Salth and Balther are brothers; that Ganzor is a bit of a clown and that Mega is easy to make laugh.  Htuya is a wagnerian (hasn't been born yet, though) hero with her weapons, and the sight of her forearms is enough to put even Ahmet to shame.  Palt broke a finger four days ago and is favoring his left hand, while Odval is nursing a cold that's been bothering him now - he claims - for three weeks.  Nerga and Seth seem to be quite chummy with one another and Worter complains more than anyone would want to hear.

There's nothing to stop the party from getting to the font.  The ground is more or less unchanged since the last time Ahmet was here.  Nachnamen deploys his men and the dwarves begin to unpack their equipment.  More I will say in the comments.

130 comments:

Alexis said...

Andrej,

At some point during the 8 miles, Zoft will approach you to speak. It is only then that you realize Zoft is a priest; from the muted symbols you can spot on his person, you guess that he is Eastern Orthodox - possibly Greek rather than Russian.

He seems to have already ascertained your origin, and assumes it in his address, which is traditionally vocative: "O Father of Cuman, I hope that we can work together pleasantly, and set aside our differences for this campaign. Orcs and dwarves have killed each other and befriended each other for centuries ... let this be an example of the latter, and let us both remember we serve the same God."

Andrej said...

"Oh Father of Hoth, let it be as you say. We have no reason to quarrel and are allied in this cause. The enemy is plain before us and will win the day if friends cannot be made amongst us."

Andrej said...

(OOC: Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to sap we go)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet will point out to Nachnamen, Andrej and Lukas the spots from which the ghouls emerged and the location of the tomb, if it is not evident.

Lukas said...

Lukas nods and agrees that that was where they came from. He then sets down whatever load he can and helps to organize it as best he can for the miners. Once unpacking is complete, he will help with setting up camp.

He tries to put himself around the dwarves as much as possible, trying to learn more about them, and their various interests.

Lukas said...

(OOC: I don't expect more than was given, but he will basically be figuring out what you said intentionally.)

Alexis said...

Zoft will chuckle. "I am not from Hoth," says he; "Though it is a common mistake. We are more kinsmen than you may guess; I am of that clan that settled in Daniel's Kingdom of Volhynia four centuries ago, now part of Poland. Neither I nor any of my kin have seen Hoth in many generations.

But I am glad we are agreed. We can be friends." He offers his hand.

Lukas said...

(OOC: Beware! The treacherous dwarf is trying to convey a harm spell by touch!)

Alexis said...

Ermeth seems to be the chief engineer among the sappers; he wishes to have Ahmet and Lukas describe everything they can tell about the chambers underneath, beyond the part where they were collapsed, which direction they go, what sort of rock they saw, how much water and so on.

Lukas and Ahmet should both roll a hundred sided die.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I've just had a great annoyance roll onto my desk; I'm going to be gone for awhile)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet rolls a 53, which hopefully is not a great annoyance roll. :)

Lukas said...

% Roll: 34

Andrej said...

Andrej shakes Zoft's hand. Once at the font/ tomb, he makes himself useful overseeing the setting up of camp while the miners and engineer talk.

"Culf, I am told you are the cook. I enjoy a bit of cooking myself when our company is on the road and no inn in sight. What stores have you brought? I ask only out of curiosity, perhaps to broaden my own abilities. We are well provisioned for the week."

Alexis said...

Sorry I can't tell you what the % die rolls were for; but nothing bad seems to happen.

Andrej, you and Zoft make your way about the remains of the graveyard; without casting any spells, there's no evidence of any evil, or suggestion that anything else might rise.

Culf will tell you that he has cabbages, beets, potatoes and mutton. He makes a hell of a borsch. He starts to cook as large a pot as his mule could carry, ten full gallons.

Oddbit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lukas said...

Lukas continues to try and stay helpful. Contributing wherever he can in sapping and camp setup.

Andrej said...

Andrej observes the cook at his task while also getting our own cook-fire and foodstuffs in order with Emmanuel's help. At this point, other then managing the food and general camp stuff I await the results of the efforts to clear the tunnel,lending a hand where necessary.

Alexis said...

Ermeth spends the first two hours patiently walking over the area, particularly over the spaces above where the cavern beneath would be. He wants both Ahmet and Lukas near him; asking questions about the walls, the dripping water and so on.

He has already examined the hole the party found earlier; "See here and here," he says. "If we tried to widen the hole, these cracks would collapse and more of the cavern would fall. We'd be wasting our time."

As miners, both Lukas and Ahmet can see plainly that Ermeth is right.

The rest of the dwarves seem unconcerned at having to sit and wait for two hours. Palt will remark to Andrej, "Ermeth will save us four times as much time."

Lukas said...

Lukas nods approvingly at the dwarf's knowledge. He tries to listen carefully and pick up everything he can. He also begins considering this a good person to 'buddy up' with.

Lukas will try to ensure Ermeth gets everything he needs, and id a break ever does occur, tries to get to know him better. Possibly if these dwarves are generally a military team, or if they are just here for the work. If they are local or move around a lot.

Shame he doesn't know about Cumana, or about the copper mine.

Lukas said...

(OOC: Hey guys, I'm not going to be near a computer all day today. I'm lucky enough to be spending all day today in the Moscone Center. But won't have internet. If necessary I stick with Andrej or help the dwarves whichever seems most logical.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: That suits me; I'm going to be nearly as busy as Lukas, and I'll do better to get it beaten down if I'm not distracted. Let's pause this until tomorrow)

Andrej said...

(OOC: works for me)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Here's hoping today's a better day!)

Andrej said...

So Lukas, while we're waiting would you like to be baptized a Catholic?

Ahmet, its never too late to renounce your heathen's ways

Lukas said...

A: Not at this font.
B: I don't think Alexis has spoken as to whether or not I am Catholic yet.

Andrej said...

In the past his position has been that only clerics start with a religion. In this manner, players may select one during the course of play. I'm sure we can find some water for the ceremony aside from the font.

Ahmet said...

Yes, technically (as far as I understand it) Ahmet is not really a Muslim... he's just pretending. :)

Being baptized is an in-game decision (and action).

Alexis said...

It doesn't have to be done at the font; any water will do. You even have holy water, if you want it.

Regarding anyone's religion, you're what you want to be. The trouble isn't in choosing a religion, it is in changing your mind later on. Once you accept the religion, don't screw with it (ie, deliberately pursue a course of action which goes directly against the church's desires, which you don't need to worry about because you're small fry and no one's going to do anything to you unless you decide to destroy/desecrate a church).

Also, don't change your religion once its chosen.

Bad things happen.

Alexis said...

Andrej and Ahmet are correct.

Alexis said...

(OOC: the silliness goes on as I am asked to move other piles of dirt around. I'll squeeze out some of the time today I can)

Ahmet, Lukas - Ermeth calls you both over to observe something. About sixty feet along, in a small tight growth of trees, he seems to have found a 1 inch diameter hole in the rock, above where he believes the tunnel to be. He demonstrates a hollowness in the rock; demonstrates the manner in which water runs into the hole (does not fill, suggesting it drains out at the bottom).

There's only one thing - if you bend down and smell the hole, the odor is unaccountably bad, like the worst sulphurous latrine stench you've ever encountered.

Ermeth asks why.

Ahmet said...

"Ghouls?"

Alexis said...

Ermeth can't say yea or nay to that; but he asks, wouldn't they smell like rotting flesh? This smells like defecation and hog fat.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet hmphs, not knowing what ghoul crap smells like.

If they crap.

He looks at Lukas.

Lukas said...

Lukas looks back at Ahmet and shakes his own head. Then he scratches his chin. "Trap maybe? Maybe they have something that will react poorly to lanterns and torches? Or some kind of way to quickly light it on fire?"

Lukas said...

Then Lukas should be baptized. I guess his parents were lax in the whole proceeding...

Alexis said...

Ermeth will start calling his men over. "We will go through here," he says. "I think 18 hours should do it. Have someone send word; we shall be ready to enter the cavern at 9 AM tomorrow morning."

Lukas said...

"Take care, I think this bishop may have taken measures. I do not recall such a scent the first time we approached the tunnel."

Alexis said...

"Of this I have no doubt," says Ermeth. "But I am under orders to break into this cavern, and that I shall do. The matter of what that may mean with regards to danger, I cannot say - I suggest if you will, my human friend, take it up with Frith or Warth. You there -" he shouts at Nerga. "Bring posts, and have Warth round up the others. We'll build the frame here."

Lukas said...

Warth being tasked, Lukas seeks out Frith. He will try and consult with Frith if they have an idea what could be the trap, or at least the source of the smell.

Alexis said...

Frith is attending to the important matter of his beard.

"Your concern is noted, Lukas. Rather than reconnoiting the hole with a squad of three dwarves once Ermeth has created it, to see if there's anything dangerous to find, what would you suggest?"

Ahmet said...

Ahmet will consult with Andrej on the nature of ghoul poop and other theories on the source of the odor.

Andrej said...

Does Andrej's field of study specialty (artifacts/ beasts) provide any insight?

Ahmet said...

Presumably, if Ahmet, Lukas, and none of the Dwarves are associated with such a smell, we can rule out any kind of normal underground hazard such as methane gas, hydrogen sulfide or what-have-you?

Just in case... Ahmet hunts about for a bird to shove into the hole. :)

Lukas said...

Lukas shrugs, "I am concerned it is a trap for anyone who would dig into the hole more than a trap for the person to enter. But I trust your judgement if that is what you and Ermeth believe is best."

At this point Lukas will ensure Andrej gets the message sent (probably via someone other than Andrej, just going up the chain of command) and then try and remain near the dig site, ready to assist as needed.

Alexis said...

I need Andrej to smell it, and to roll a % die.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Andrej... pull my finger.)

Alexis said...

Catching a bird is fairly difficult; and it is September 11.

Ermeth feels confident the air is not flammable. He attempts to light it and proves that it isn't. "Sulphur, yes, but enough to stink; not apparently enough to burn."

Alexis said...

The hole is started, and the soft rock proves fairly easy to manage. The Dwarves proceed to drop a three foot shaft down about 9 feet in six hours.

Andrej said...

Andrej approaches the hole. Walks around it several times in a cricle, fanning his hands to as to take in the bouquet. If satisfied, he slowly leans into the hole, bending at the waist until he is doubled over as far as he can go, his nose working rhythmically. Finally, hands spread out before him and down on all fours he carefully snuffs at the hole again, then plunges his schnozz nearly into it, breathing deeply.

%: 16%

Alexis said...

Andrej stops dead in his tracks. He feels a cold chill go up his spine. He shakes his head, walks around the hole again, tests for the odor again. A dwarf asks if he's okay; Andrej has no idea which dwarf, he is too deep in thought. He backs away from the hole, concentrates, finds that place from which he casts spells to mentally pursue his memory. He can almost see the page he was looking at in the library in Eichstatt just a few months ago.

Yes, yes, there can be no question.

But how did they get it in here?

Andrej is certain that it must be an otyugh. It matches the described odor almost perfectly.

Andrej said...

Andrej relays this certainty to those assembled near the hole.

Alexis said...

The general response from the dwarves would be, "A what?"

Lukas said...

Lukas, who has been by the hole recently has exactly the same reaction.

Ahmet said...

Could Andrej be referring to the giant weasels they battled? But those creatures did not stink like this. On the other hand, the one they slew had just been swimming... maybe the stench washed off?

Before Ahmet can begin describing an otyugh as a long-bodied giant dog-like creature that sucks blood and answers to the name Nebbles, Andrej speaks.

Andrej said...

Alexis, I'm pretty familiar with what the monster manual says about otyugh, is this how it is in your world and if so is Andrej aware of this info?

Alexis said...

The D&D page has a fairly good image.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I can't say I adhere 100% to the monster manual; I haven't actually looked at an otyugh for a long time, and haven't actually thrown one at a party since sometime around the early 90s. I don't have the description in front of me ... but I would say there's likely to be few changes, except possibly to the amount of damage per hit and certainly to the total number of expected hit points - due to my mass rules. The internet says an otyugh weighs around 500-750 lbs - if true, that's around 2d6 or a d6+d8 per hit die).

Andrej said...

Andrej relays the description we all probably have available to us (I'd wax poetic a bit here but am jammed up today at work).

A tough opponent, no doubt, but not insurmountable for a party of 20+... unless, of course, there are several of the damn things with which to contend.

Andrej said...

Does Andrej know, based on his roll, whether these creatures are typically solitary or social? If so, he relays that info to all, including the captain as descried below...

Andrej finds the captain of the soldiers set to guard us, relays that the whole is now dug (I believe that's what Alexis indicated above) or the estimated time when the hole will be finished and also reports that the tunnels are now inhabited by at least one otyugh.

We will await orders from Hornung, and in the meantime post a watch on the hole.

Alexis said...

Andrej doesn't know it for a fact; however, the creatures themselves are not 'natural' ... they are of a group of beasts known as 'abominations,' which is to say that they are spawned from magical nodes connecting the outer planes to the prime material. Such creatures tend to exist in single numbers unless found in a highly unusual place - which could not include somewhere as mundane as a town in Germany.

Alexis said...

Frith will show confidence that anything as small as a cow can be managed; he is more concerned about what traps or forces of men you might fight in the catacombs beneath the castle, than in what he calls "vermin."

Lukas said...

Lukas watches the hole with Andrej. Shaking his head he considers how it was unlikely that Andrej would bring this up if it was, 'just vermin.'

"Do you think it would be trouble for us?" Lukas asks Andrej, "Seriously think it will be trouble? Maybe I can talk some caution into these dwarves if necessary."

Andrej said...

"I don't feel it to be any more trouble than what trouble we already have in storming a ghast-filled castle. Does that help?"

Assuming the captain's men are nearby Andrej sees to it that a guard is set upon the hole between them and the dwarves. He also assumes that the captain will relay our message to Hornung and recommends to all that we await orders from the paladin. We have a means to the castle now, perhaps, but need a plan.

Finally, if indeed Lukas is interested, Andrej prepares to perform a mass for the camp and a baptism for Lukas.

Andrej said...

Andrej, by the way, winks and nudges his friend Lukas when describing what trouble there is above.

Ahmet said...

During the six hours the Dwarves are working, Ahmet finds a comfy spot nearby, lays down and closes his eyes. The racket made by the Dwarven miners -- crashing and smashing, songs and shouts, steel striking rock -- is like a lullaby for him. Someone will have to wake him when they finally finish.

Andrej said...

(OOC: It looks like a light workday for me today, so hopefully you guys are able to dig in and play some as well)

Alexis said...

The digging goes on all night as the dwarves work in shifts. It takes about 9 hours for Nachnamen's runner to find Hornung and return; he sees no one or encounters any threat during that time.

Hornung's word reaches the party at about 2 in the morning. The army was deployed throughout Thursday. The medicant plans to make an attack upon the castle as the sun reaches three hours past zenith Friday afternoon, the 12th. The party should take what action seems appropriate, but it would be best if they manage their way through to whatever place the tunnels within lead into the main castle three hours after the frontal attack - by that point the main defenses inside the castle should be drawn to the walls and outer defenses. Then, if the party finds themselves in a tower, which they can seize and hold, or such like, that would be most useful. Hopefully if the party's whereabouts can be made known, Hornung can change his strategy to relieve the party.

Alexis said...

The shaft itself will break through into the cavern earlier than Ermeth expected - at 6 a.m. enough of a hole can be cleared to allow a man or a dwarf to be lowered into the interior. The party is awoken and informed.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'll do what I can; it's not going to be light for me, as massive policy changes will be altering the tech department's protocols for the next while. I'll be moving dirt today)

Lukas said...

I do want Lukas baptized. Otherwise he grabs some rest so he won't be tired tomorrow.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet volunteers to be the first one lowered into the hole.

However, first he peers over the side to see what can be seen. If it's only blackness, he calls over a Dwarf (or Andrej) to see if their demi-human eyes can make out anything in the darkness.

Andrej said...

Alexis, may we consider Lukas to have been baptised while the dwarves dug? As stated Andrej also delivered a mass for the camp if so.

Andrej nods at Ahmet when the latter volunteers to be lowered but insists that we must consider things closely before taking action.

Andrej peers into the hole after Ahemet does so.

Alexis said...

Consider Lukas baptised.

The dwarves are Greek orthodox, and Zoft will be blessing them before entering the cavern.

Ahmet, Frith will be sending Balther down with a lantern; he appreciates your offer, but suggests you hold yourself in reserve for when the real fighting starts.

Balther will prepare to drop by rope from the three-point frame fixed over the shaft.

Alexis said...

It is black, and Balther won't be able to see until he's below ground. If all seems peaceful, he will light the lantern when he's down there.

Andrej said...

" Captain Nachnamen, what are your orders from Hornung? Do you stay to guard the camp, are you involved in the frontal assault or are your men at our disposal to fight in the caves below?"

Alexis said...

Nachnamen has been ordered to hold this location; his men are strung out as a picket about two miles long at this point - he's to report any movement away from the castle. He himself will be staying by the entrance hole with ten men to defend your escape should you need it.

Alexis said...

Balther drops down the shaft; he is about twenty feet below you.

He describes the cavern passage as the party saw it; a long natural cave extending in two directions from the shaft. The source for the odor is coming from the direction where Ahmet and Lukas would believe the pond to be; there is a slight wind - there's no sign of anything as large as a cow.

He reports that he sees a great deal of movement on the floor, with the appearance of snakes about the size of giant rats. He can't identify the type of snake with his infravision.

Andrej said...

"How many snakes?"

Are we talking Indiana Jones here?

Alexis said...

Balther describes seeing perhaps 40 snakes. He does not say they carpet the floor.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet grunts. "We saw no snakes. Is this more sorcery from the Bishop?"

Andrej said...

"Possibly, Ahmet."

"Forty is too many."

"Balther, how spread out are the snakes? That is, how much area do they occupy?"

"How much oil do we have?" Andrej asks Frith with a gleam in his eye.

Alexis said...

The floor is largely covered in water according to Balther. The snakes are moving continuously, covering an area sixty feet in either direction and twenty feet wide.

Ahmet said...

"Balther, are there any doors or other openings visible?"

Lukas said...

"Snakes, why does it have to be snakes?" Lukas asks with a shudder. He too tries to peer down the hole, however likely ends up examining the near craftsman ship of the dwarves rather than the blackness of below.

Ahmet said...

I'm hoping we can bypass them... 40 snakes is a lot, and I don't think flaming oil will work given the water and the way they're spread out.

Alexis said...

It is a cavern, so there wouldn't be any doors. He can see as far as his infravision allows - but then, Ahmet has been in the cavern passage, and knows that it extends at least 250 yards from the Font to the pond where he encountered the Mink. You are presently 60 yards from the font.

Andrej said...

"Perhaps we could shoot them from up here? Frith, are there any bowmen amongst your party?"

Lukas said...

"How does one arrange so many defenses of this sort so quickly? And with such longevity..."

Lukas wonders on this, he does really want to know the answer. Obviously such tricks could be useful.

Alexis said...

"Fire down a 20 foot deep 5 foot wide passage at a hundred foot diameter of floor?"

Frith is a little baffled. He shouts down, "Can you put your feet on the floor, Balther? Is there a place?"

"I think so sir," comes the reply.

"Do it then. And light your lantern."

Frith will turn to Ahmet. "Are you ready to see? I'd like to know how the tunnel differs from your experience."

Andrej said...

"I do not know, Lukas, but perhaps the dwarf you saw below was not just a keeper of minks, but a keeper of all sorts of guardian animals. Perhaps what is below was always on hand and just not yet deployed for defense."

Andrej said...

"While it is good that you discovered and explored the caves, I wonder if we'd be less impeded had the enemy not been alerted to us."

Andrej instructs Emmanuel to bring his weapons and armor. He begins to dress for battle.

Alexis said...

(OOC: While this had occurred to me also, Andrej, do not fault the others; I more or less rubbed the opportunity under their nose, and it was difficult not to jump at it)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet also puts on his plate and weapons.

"Why don't we haul up brave Balther and lower a lighted lantern or three?"

Lukas said...

"I wondered that too, but it seemed to be the only way to ascertain the bishop's presence without storming the front gate."

Andrej said...

(OOC: Sorry guys, didn't mean to come off as critical... I was only musing aloud. I would have done the same thing in your shoes.)

Andrej said...

"Touche', dear Lukas. Touche'."

"Be careful of the snakes, Ahmet. Should they be poisonous..."

"Zoft, are you able to slow poison, should the need arise?"

Lukas said...

"This is why we should have a few goats, for leading ahead into suspicious territory." Lukas also muses.

(OOC: Yeah, I didn't see it critically, I thought the same thing once I discovered the secret entrance was inhabited by someone with an intelligence score above 2. Presumably...)

Andrej said...

"Goats are also fine eating if you marinate them just right."

"Ahmet, is the plan to lower the lanterns and then you so you may get a good look at the layout and see how it compares to what you saw before?"

Lukas said...

I guess Ahmet is the next best thing to a goat right now...

Andrej said...

The goat has a less hairy back than Ahmet, I'm told.

Lukas said...

For Nine-Toes' sake I hope it's not genetic.

Alexis said...

Zoft has no cures for poison, as it happens.

Ahmet, Balther has a lantern; he's lighting it. And he's already let go of the rope. You hear no screams, no shouts of panic or terror. The lantern is lit and shows off a slight glow (hard to see more in this sunlight)

(OOC: I never did calculate today's weather. Haven't a moment right now - for all I know, its raining. Give me ten minutes)

Alexis said...

The temperature is cool, with cloudy conditions, and a light air (that is, still). there was a bit of rain last night, as predicted, but not enough to stop the work.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet stares into the gloom. Seeing nothing (presumably), he growls in frustration. "Lower me down!" He straps his shield to his back and readies his pick ax.

Alexis said...

Without going into too terribly much detail, lowering Ahmet takes little time. It's just 35 feet to the cavern floor. Balther has a lantern lit, and its fairly bright.

Ahmet, once his eyes adjust, sees what Balther sees, and what Balther reports up. They're not snakes.

They're eels.

There's about two inches of water in most places on the floor, and the eels are in general less than an inch thick. Ahmet will remember there was a lot of rain, and that there were puddles and pools before. It seems that the puddles and pools have enlarged and now cover most everywhere, except for places where stalactites or other rocks on the floor rise.

The eels pass around Balther and Ahmet, but they are not aggressive - so it appears.

Andrej said...

"Eels. Also good eating."

"Ahmet, hold fast for now."

"Frith, how many do you intend to lower?"

Lukas said...

"Wait, does this mean the big pit later on will be full of water? We may not be able to cross in full plate or possibly even on foot right?"

Andrej said...

"It is a good thought. If the pit is filled, then the tunnel on the other side would be under water. It's possible you are right, Lukas, but it's also possible that the water drains there but remains here. We won't know for sure until we lay eyes upon it, though."

Alexis said...

Frith will point out the German is watching the entrance. "I and all my troop are going down," he tells Andrej.

Lukas, the cavern, you'll remember, rolled up and down. So the water here is not running down hill in either direction; there's no noticeable current. Thus, if there is a bulge in the floor between here and the pond, the area by the pool will not be full of water.

Alexis said...

Frith notes the time - it is just an hour after sunrise now; is it too soon to go?

Alexis said...

Or will the party need every hour to get where they need to go; the castle is, after all, two and a half miles away.

Andrej said...

"I'd rather leave now to see what awaits us below. We should be in place and ready to act when the time comes, and can wait then if we must."

Lukas said...

So what, we have like 9 hours to go 2.5 miles? I guess a bit of a wait might be warranted. I doubt any fight will last several hours. Mainly we would just have to be concerned about any more cave ins or any major obstacles beyond that... Such as large bodies of water.

Ahmet said...

As Andrej said, we should go there and wait. Better to be early than late. ;)

Alexis said...

Frith will start ordering his men down the hole.

Below, Balther will take a few steps and accidentally disturb an eel laying in the water. The eel with thrash, and snap out at Balther, missing, as Balther jumps back quickly.

"We will have to be careful how we walk," Balther tells Ahmet.

Alexis said...

For the record, the party will have eaten before sunrise; Culf prepared a meal of eggs floating in beef fat and cabbage for breakfast, inviting the player characters to partake. So everyone is fed.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet calls up, "Send down some large branches we can use to sweep these things out of our path. They don't like being stepped on."

Andrej said...

While the dwarves make their way down the hole Andrej assembles Klaas and Joost, who will be joining us. Emmanuel is to stay with the camp and horses.

Each are given a lantern and 5 flasks of oil. "Keep these lit at all times, it is your primary responsibility. We must always have light."

Andrej takes 5 doses of healing salve for himself, taking also 5 for Ahmet and offering 5 to Lukas and Frith both. "To be dispensed as needed. Ten more will remain here."

Six vials of holy water Andrej will carry in his pack.

Andrej said...

Andrej directs Emmanuel to fetch the branches which Ahmet has asked for while making the other preparations.

Alexis said...

(OOC: good idea!)

Some dwarves up top begin cutting branches as Ahmet requests.

"We must take all the salve, Father" Zoft says to Andrej. "No wounded man who returns this far will need it once they've emerged - the good captain will remove them. We must have the salve with us."

Andrej said...

Andrej hands the remaining 10 pots of salve to Zoft. "Good point, Father."

Andrej said...

Can we assume that the dwarves take the crowbars, picks, spikes and other gear?

Alexis said...

Are there any last questions? May I move forward so that the entire company is below ground?

Alexis said...

You may assume a requisite number of such equipment shall be taken along. It is extremely unlikely that I will judge such materials unavailable, Andrej.

Andrej said...

I'm all set to move on, then.

Ahmet said...

Go!

Andrej said...

I'm leaving for the weekend in 15 minutes, so I'm guessing this is our stopping point for the week unless you guys want to push on.

In the event of that, Andrej will stick to front of the group and recommends we spread out the lantern bearers.

Lukas said...

Lukas takes whatever supplies are offered him and proceeds onwards with the group. Carefully he moves around the eels, and for a moment considers if it would be possible to capture live ones for study... If they win this fight, perhaps they may...

Alexis said...

I do hate to make you guys wait another weekend but ... Andrej's right. It's a good place to stop.

Lukas, Culf will remark, "Dung eels ... careful, they're poisonous. The poison's deadly only to the weak and childen;" he grins. "Course, that's true if only one bites you."

Lukas said...

"Hrm... I wonder if we can catch some as we leave... They could be useful or even valuable to the right people." Lukas remarks back. He offers a wink in return, "Assuming I don't die of poison first."