Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Chamber of Cages

September 11, 1650 ... sometime in the late afternoon
Weather:  dank

The tunnel is not very long; Palt is able to keep the forward party in view and the dwarves standing on the dry places of the otyugh chamber in view at the same time.

The lighting in the after described room seems to come from everywhere at once; there is no light source - no torch, no lantern, no focus.  Both Andrej and Lukas can guess that the illumination derives from a continual light spell.

After some caution (assumed), the party moves into a cavern about half the size of the otyugh chamber, made larger by three cages that have been built into the walls, each of which make a space about eight feet by eighteen.  The cage doors are hanging open.  Much of the floor is damp, and in places actually muddy - everywhere that there is mud, in the cages also, there are paw prints which the forward party can fairly predict would belong to the sort of giant minks encountered by Lukas and Ahmet.

A host of broken crates suggests that the room was plundered for everything of value - that there were stores of meat here (the smell is in the air), fat, oils and quite probably pitch and plaster as well, judging from spills on the floor.  Empty, broken barrels give a hint of lager, as well.  A dwarf sniffs the floor and pronounces that the moisture that made the mud probably came from said barrels.

A steady breeze blows into the room from a portal on the opposite side, that shows blackness where the light ends.  There was apparently no door in the portal - no signs of hinges in the stone - and standing in the light makes it difficult to see more than four feet of a tunnel beyond the exit.  The portal is certainly well designed; five feet across, eight feet high, and the lintel a Roman arch.  A quick examination by the mage suggests the portal may be of an origin older than German manufacture.

41 comments:

Andrej said...

Andrej sends Palt back to the main to fetch a lantern and oil, assuming the latter is willing to take his direction. He then very briefly investigates the cages by walking up to and not in to them, nodding to Lukas if they are clear. he'll leave a look beyond the arch and down the tunnel for Ahmet and Warth.

Lukas said...

Guys do you think maybe we should consider the classic, check the terrain in front of us with a stick method? Do we have any left over from the eels?

Ahmet said...

I thought the plan was to check the terrain ahead with a Turk? ;)

Alexis said...

To save loads of time, I'm presuming the Turk went in; noted nothing dangerous; waved in everyone else in the forward party; still saw nothing dangerous; and realized there was no reason to draw this whole thing out.

Lukas said...

Just goes to show, a stick is more useful than a Turk. :P

Alexis said...

Vala will fetch a lantern.

Ahmet said...

Each has its proper uses!

Alexis said...

(OOC: check the terrain with a turk. sorry, I only just got that.

duh)

Andrej said...

:)

If the cages are indeed clear, then once the lantern is back we should light it and make for the tunnel. Lukas, any issue with holding the lantern for the group since our henchmen are now dead or indisposed?

Lukas said...

I don't think they kept the minks separate, which to me means that there is likely at least one more beast worth noting...

By checking, I think I was assuming that we would be checking through the 'portal' and into the next area which I assume to all appearances is a normal 'hole in the wall' portal.

I am not opposed to personally tapping about the edges of the ancient archway with a stick for good measure. Old things are dangerous things.

Lukas said...

No issue at all. I usually only need one hand for my dart anyway.

Andrej said...

Ahmet, we are in your hands.

Alexis said...

The portal seems solid enough. It appears to present no danger.

Alexis said...

(OOC: hurm. It occurs to me that this is the first extensive 'dungeon' I've presented in three years of running this online campaign.

I suppose I'd better do a good job)

Andrej said...

(OOC: does this mean next up is the eponymous dragon?)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet (and presumably Warth) advance through the portal.

Ahmet said...

I suppose we should bring a lantern... Warth?

Lukas said...

I follow behind, spoor ridden cells aren't my thing, and you might as well have light.

Andrej said...

One last thing...

Alexis said...

Vala has provided a lantern. Warth will carry it for you - he will be at Ahmet's elbow, as he has the fastest reaction time among his crew.

Don't forget that dwarves are good at noting unsafe flooring and such.

Andrej said...

... something Lukas said above finally sunk in. Looking into the cages and being no tracker can Andrej at least detemrine/ confirm that the prints are all pretty much the same? That is, we're looking at 3 minks (one down) most likely and not two minks plus two other types of creatures. I know you sort of answered this in your description, Alexis, I just want to confirm.

Andrej said...

If Lukas follows behind the pair on point and carries the lantern both of our primary fighters will have their hands free for fighting. Thoughts?

Lukas said...

That was my plan.

Alexis said...

It is most likely that there are three minks, which a knowledge of beasts can confirm. They are clearly three separate "homes"; the paws may be the same size, but there are almost certainly three minks that dwelt here.

Alexis said...

Lukas, looking at your character, I don't see a field or a specialty selected. Did I fail to send you a copy of my mage description for your character? If I did, I should send it to you this evening.

Lukas said...

It did not say anything about getting one at level 1. It said eventually I could acquire some, but nothing about level 1.

Lukas said...

That or I missed it.

Andrej said...

Thanks Alexis. I'm ready to move out, guys. Ahmet, Warth on point with Lukas providing light.

Andrej will direct Vala to run back or signal to the main that its clear up until this point.

Alexis said...

Ah, you start with 1 field, and 1 speciality IN that field.

Your choice.

Alexis said...

(OOC: sorry guys. Now I'm hung up for the afternoon. We'll have to pick up in the morning)

Andrej said...

(OOC: No worries. See you all later.)

Lukas said...

(OOC: I'm directing questions regarding Fields and Specialties to E-Mail)

Alexis said...

I'm back and around. Let me know if there's anything people want to do before going through the portal, who goes through, how many go through, and what the order should be.

Ahmet, Warth & Co., Lukas, Andrej?

Lukas said...

I plan on being right behind the front to light the way. There will be people in front of me and behind me.

Alexis said...

Warth looks at Lukas' tall, lanky body and snorts. "Let's leave leading to the professions, herr Professor. I'll take the lantern; you walk behind us, and try not to trip over your feet."

Lukas said...

Lukas shrugs and passes him the lantern, "Alright, but hold it as high as you can, Ahmet needs to see more than his own shadow."

Lukas accepts whatever position is offered, and sorts through his dart quiver, ensuring they are all positioned properly until everyone is ready to go.

During travel, he will have one dart at the ready.

Ahmet said...

Before we leave the chamber... does Continual Light need to be cast on an object? Maybe it's something portable (a small rock, I hope) that we could take with us. Just a thought. Don't want to waste hours trying to figure it out. If we immediately and easily find the source of light, let's talk about taking it with us.

If not... onward.

Andrej said...

"Good thinking Ahmet. From my experience (and reading the spell description just now) it can be cast into the air or onto an object or creature. Based on the effects we are seeing I'd say it was cast into the air."

Can we quickly discern either way, Alexis?

Alexis said...

Fairly quickly; it casts illuminance without there being a central "bright spot" (except at the initial moment of casting, where it can be used to blind someone) ... but you can discern the general center of the light from its edge. There's nothing there but a few pieces of crate, and by picking them up you can judge the spell was cast in the air.

Ahmet said...

Worth a shot. Moving on, with Ahmet taking point.

Alexis said...

the next post is up