Monday, February 6, 2012

Morning in Arnsberg

Saturday, September 6, 1650, morning

Weather: with cool temperatures and a steady drizzle, with a moderate breeze.
 
You wake to find the day is not particular pleasant.  You walk yourselves across town, taking note that Arnsberg appears to run some distance along a valley with a small stream (not large enough to appear on the map on your right), with low hills on either side.  The castle would be on the east hill, and the Arsbergerwald upon the far side of said hill.  You thus walk up the valley, circle around the edge of town and come to a large pasture ... the "backyard" that Thomas the groom spoke of.
 
You can see a brook running through the edge of the pasture, along the inside of the fence upon which you're standing on, and a stone wall on the other side, running up the hill from the bottomland to where it meets the castle, about 300 feet above you.  The pic is a bit dim.
 
 

172 comments:

Ahmet said...

Is the stable inside the castle?

Alexis said...

The stable is inside the lower, walled bailey; you can see gigantic doors that allow the horses into the pasture, but the actual stable is inside.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: New plan: We dress up as horses, wait for the doors to open, and stroll right through the gates!

I call head!)

Could an agile monk climb the lower bailey wall and then make his way into the castle, or are the walls not connected? How high is the bailey wall, anyway?

Alexis said...

About 25 feet. It does go up the hill and connect to the castle wall, but the castle wall is about 35 feet higher.

Ahmet said...

So... if Ninetoes climbed the bailey wall, would he then have to climb another wall to reach the castle proper, or is it connected via a stairway?

Lukas said...

Does it appear this is the kind of castle where any deal of regular business goes on in the outer bailey or is this the 'you either belong here or don't'?

Alexis said...

No, he'd have to climb two walls. The castle proper is designed to hold out even if the lower bailey falls.

There's very little movement from the castle. As was said, there's no one supposedly in residence and hasn't been in some time. So there is very little activity. A long wait in the drizzle shows not even a guard along the walls.

Ahmet said...

Anyone else outside the walls, or are we the only fools standing in the rain?

Alexis said...

Well, it's a mighty thin rain ... and there are a few carters moving on the road in town ... but yes, you're pretty near the only fools.

Lukas said...

"It seems perhaps your plan to scale the side might even be somewhat viable. If we can overcome the slipperiness of the walls."

Lukas says to the group, "There seems to be little activity, not even guards?"

Shrugging he says, "We could also try the writer story at the gates and try and get in..."

Ahmet said...

Ahmet makes a face. "Do you really think that story would work? That we are writing a," the word seems distasteful to him, "book?"

Ahmet remembers something. "What about the secret entrance? Shouldn't we at least try to find it?"

Lukas said...

"If it's as quiet inside as it is out, we might not even be noticed."

Is Lukas's reply, "My main concern was that someone might be paying attention to the private forest looking for poachers. That which we may be mistaken for."

Ahmet said...

Ahmet scoffs. "A poacher could take whatever he wanted from this very pasture. Who would stop him?"

He waves a hand. "The man hardly guards his own castle. He would instead guard an entire forest?"

He snorts. "Why, I imagine there are poachers who have been taking game from that forest for weeks without fear of arrest."

He smirks. "Guards? Pah! The only sign they've likely seen of the bishop is when he uses his secret entrance!"

Suddenly, a thought occurs to him, but it takes several seconds of standing in the drizzle and staring off into the distance before he can formulate it.

"What if we posed as deer, and..."

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - sorry, very busy afternoon yesterday. Still scrabbling to stay above water.)

"I do not fancy scaling the wall in the rain anymore. If the bishop is here, he will not be unguarded. The man we captured in the Apple Quarter said, "He knows." I think it is safe to assume that the bishop has our descriptions, and if we are captured in the castle he would most likely throw us in a cell or perhaps even kill us. Much as I admire your skill, Ahmet, this is a bishop we are dealing with, and he can afford to hire the best of everything."

"If the bishop came by carriage, there might be tracks leading to the secret entrance. I say we try the woods and hope we aren't spotted. If we are... maybe you'll get your fight after all, Ahmet."

(OOC - Sorry to waffle; Ahmet's dream scared me, as does his current suggestion to pose as deer. If I could I'd pose the 'not sure if you're serious' Heath Ledger/Joker meme.)

Let's decide and move on. I'm fine with going over the wall if that's what you two think best.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'm just being silly. Ahmet is too stupid to come up with a plan or critique someone else's, so I'm fudging.

My plan was to go into the forest and talk to poachers who may have seen the carriage... but in Ahmet's feeble mind, a better plan is to go into the forest and be hunted by poachers.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: no 'man dressed as a bat' references.

I love this whole, 'if the bishop travels, he cannot do it without his carriage' theme. I'm pretty sure the bishop has legs)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - Oh no, I thought Ahmet's plans were funny. I'm not actually worried. I'm tempted to let him follow through on it. When I say I'm open to suggestions, I mean. I think this is worse than the crab in some ways.

As to carriages and bishops, I've pretty much been grasping at straws ever since Eberhardt said "Go spy on the bishop." Really, Mr. Hornung? Have you met the large turk and the guy missing a digit on his foot before? But hey, the guy in shiny plate mail says jump, I say how high.)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - meant to say 'I mean it.')

Looking for poachers sounds good. Ninetoes heads for the forest, unless anyone objects.

Ahmet said...

To the forest!

Lukas said...

Lukas follows to the forest. Hopefully the rain will not have washed away any tracks or signs of passage.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Sending parties to do shit without their knowing how is half the fun!)

To get to the forest is a simple question of climbing up and over the hill above you, and preferably far enough from the castle so as not to be noticed. Finding the font is another matter entirely. Where would it be, players? You only know that it is in the forest.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Hm... I'm assuming it's an underground tunnel of some kind. And while we don't know where it starts, we know approximately where it ends (somewhere inside the Castle). Or that's my guess, anyway. It wouldn't be much of an escape route if you couldn't get to it after the Lower Bailey fell.

I'm assuming it would have to be a long tunnel, just to make the climb from the forest and up the hill. And a long tunnel, I think, would require air shafts of some kind, right?)

Ahmet attempts to determine any evidence of an underground tunnel via air shafts, using his background as a miner.

Lukas said...

"I say we march aimlessly towards the middle of this giant forest until we stumble across it, unless you have better ideas?"

Lukas peers around the area and kicks the soil checking it's consistency.

Would my prospecting background give me any insights into finding a tunnel? Such as ideal digging depth and locations in these conditions?

(OOC: Honestly, I'm all for encountering a guard of some sort out here. I have concocted my own harebrained plan.)

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes prays and then waits to see if either of his friends are struck by divine inspiration.

Lukas said...

Lukas gets to talking to Ahmet about mining and prospecting as they seek signs of a tunnel.

Ahmet said...

Ah, finally someone who knows the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground!

Ahmet talks excitedly about his youthful experiences as a child laborer in the copper mines of Central Anatolia. Almost every one of his stories has a funny ending like, "and then the tapping stopped and we gave up," "and they never did find the other half of that mule," or "and that's why my cousin couldn't have any children."

Well, they're funny to Ahmet, anyway.

Lukas said...

Lukas nods at these stories, he doesn't necessarily laugh, but grasps at this moment to have something in common with this quiet, large, and strange man he may be with for a while.

Nine-toes said...

"The groom mentioned a font, which would imply it is filled with water, yes? I say we follow the stream and see if the font is visible anywhere near the stream."

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes heads down the stream, hoping his friends follow as they discuss holes, mules and the accidental sterilization of relatives.

Lukas said...

"I get the feeling this will be an uncomfortable entrance in the rain."

Lukas nods and heads off towards the stream, still trying to figure the best spot for a tunnel.

Alexis said...

Yes, the Font-en-Breitenbruch. Which was indicated to be in the forest. It would be difficult to find any sort of air shaft until you knew the position of the Font compared to the castle.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet scoffs. "There's an old Turkish proverb -- 'the man who is already wet is not afraid of rain.' It means... exactly the situation where are in now."

Alexis said...

It will be necessary to first climb up and over the hill above you (which you have not yet done) before finding either the Font or the secret entrance. You are not technically in the Arnsbergerwald at the moment, as you're on the wrong side of the ridge.

Nine-toes said...

I climb the ridge, heading for where the stream meets the wood. I keep an eye out to see if anyone may spot us.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet follows and likewise looks for guards, poachers, or infiltrators disguised as deer.

Alexis said...

You find yourselves climbing the ridge and naturally drifting towards the easiest bits. When you cross the ridge, it is along the edge of a meadow where upon the far side you can see a poor shepherd with a dozen sheep. He has his cloak fixed tight around him in the rain, and is standing beneath a large sycamore, the leaves varying shades of umber and orange.

Nine-toes said...

"Aha, a shepherd. What do you think, gentlemen: Do we question the shepherd about the font, or kill 3 of his sheep so that we may disguise ourselves as his flock?"

Ahmet said...

Ahmet grunts noncommittally. Either sounds like a good plan. But talking is probably the better course... for now.

"Perhaps you want to tell him you want to interview one of his sheep," he says with a smirk.

Nine-toes said...

(Unless anyone objects.) Ninetoes walks towards the shepherd. As he approaches, He takes out his rosary and begins praying silently. "Bow your heads, brothers, if you would be so kind. We are pennitents, now, on a pilgrimage to find the holy Font-en-Breitenbruch, said by one of my ancestors to have healing powers as it was blessed by his Holiness the Bishop himself. I am hoping it will regrow my lost toe."

"I'm not ruling out interviewing the sheep, though, brother."

Lukas said...

"I think we should question him. If worse comes to worse and he's a guard we say that we are spies for the bishop. If he plays dumb, we say we were sent by the bishop this way and he should mind his own."

Lukas nods at his own harebrained scheme.

"At the least, if he's a guard we might be able to get him to betray the Bishop's presence."

Lukas said...

Lukas follows slightly behind the others and awaits the shepard's reaction.

Alexis said...

(OOC; Strange D&D players; I shall never understand them. Why not just ask where the font is? Why make up lies about a font to locals who would damn well know the font has no healing powers? This only makes you obvious and memorable, which in turn ensures that everyone in the neighborhood knows about the three ridiculous strangers who have stumbled into town telling lies about the local shrine. How long do you imagine it will be before this shepherd runs into someone and mentions you. And how long will it take for someone to connect the three strangers looking for the shrine with the fellows telling ridiculous stories in the bar the night before. Hm; three men, first talking to the ex-stablehand, and now interested in the Font. What could they be trying to do, I wonder?

I love you guys, honestly. But keeping a low profile is not really what you do, now is it? There is an old rule about investigating anything - don't say more than you have to.

I hope the present course won't get you killed)

The shepherd tells you where the font is; just over the hill you'll find a wide path, which will lead you into yonder valley; keep to the widest path and you will come to the Font.

Lukas said...

Lukas elbows nine-toes as they're leaving, "Stop trying to pull the man's leg, he probably goes past that place all the time."

Lukas heads off to the font.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - that's funny, I thought sure I would get yelled at for the last outrageous lie. I guess I was emboldened after my brief and thoroughly unexpected previous success. At the very least, anyone questioning the groom and the shepherd will think us eccentric, or dim, or perhaps even crazy.)

I continue on toward the font.

Alexis said...

The track winds and the weather does not let up, so that you're quite uncomfortable by the time you reach the Font, two hours later.

It is a little shrine, perhaps 10 feet across, with a natural spring channeled through a marble fountainhead. It rolls outward from a stone cap, into a pool a few feet across, through a slot in the three steps up to the font, then in a trickling brook along the path and into the trees. You come across this brook first before seeing the font.

There is a small cemetery nearby, not very well kept up, with a single large tomb in its center - eight feet high and 12 ft. by six. The tomb is some thirty yards from the font.

There are no other features about, except for the trees ... and these are aspen and spruce, and none of them large enough to have their trunks conceal a secret entrance.

You are none of you elves, so you see no secret or concealed doors. The monk does not detect any traps.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet makes a beeline for the single large tomb, and searches about for any kind of entrance or opening.

Lukas said...

Lukas, seeing Ahmet go for the easy and obvious target, decides to check somewhere else, just in case. He goes to investigate the font, mainly around the slot then in the pool.

If Lukas sees Ahmet go into said tomb, he stops his search and follows.

Nine-toes said...

If there are headstones in the cemetery, Ninetoes reads them, looking for any that look odd or out of place.

Ahmet said...

(OOC:

Here lies the body of Mary Lee,
Died at the age of a hundred and three
For fifteen years she kept her virginity
Not a bad record for this vicinity.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: "As you gaze upon this dentist's grave with gravity, cheer up! He's filling his last cavity.")

None of the gravestones have ANY markings on them whatsoever.

The font produces a rather nasty smelling water, as you come close to the source, as though polluted by a foul mineral. Not sulphur exactly ... nothing so strong.

Ahmet, there's a worn bronze handle on the door, green with weathering.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet, a superstitious man to begin with, is even more creeped out by the thought of all these rotting infidels. Perhaps some of these hellbound souls preferred to stay on this plane rather than the torment that awaited them in the afterlife?

He unslings his pick ax and holds it in his left hand, as his right turns the brass handle.

Ahmet said...

(Er... bronze.)

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes heads toward the tomb to back up Ahmet.

Alexis said...

The door handle turns a bolt, and the door moves... but unbelievably slowly. Ahmet has to put all his weight on the handle to get the door to sloooooowly swing open about a quarter of an inch. With that little effective effort made, the outward thickness of the door does not even clear the jamb.

However, at a quarter of an inch, something inside clicks ... there's a long noise like a metal ball rolling over a stone floor ... then a sort of bang; a thump; and the clatter of a number of small things.

Nothing otherwise seems to happen.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes bravely hits the dirt, not sure whether to hope it's a trap or an alarm.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Oh, crap, I knocked down the Bishop's domino setup!)

Ahmet pauses, cringes, listens.

When all noise has stopped, he keeps pushing on the door.

Alexis said...

Ah, sorry, small error on my part. Ahmet has to "pull" on the door... but this takes all his weight.

Nothing else is happening, except Ahmet pulling on the door. It is something similar to pulling on a winecork that lets go of the bottle with a grip like death. With all Ahmet's strength, he can only manage to open the door something like one inch a round ... the door being 4 inches thick, it takes about 45 seconds of steady pulling for him to make the tiniest crack in the door.

We'll assume Nine-toes climbs to his feet in this time.

Once he does this, the ground starts moving near Nine-toes' feet.

(I'm presuming Lucas would have time to move ... let us say he is about half way between the font and the door, paying attention either way)

Alexis said...

I should add that the door having separated from the jamb, it does not become easier to open.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet continues pulling, his strength perhaps aided by a colorful, creative, and unspeakably filthy string of curse words, most of which having to do with mothers, donkeys, and interfacing their various body parts in ways that would be anatomically impossible or at least inadvisable.

Nine-toes said...

"Would the pick axe get us into the tomb, brother?"

Ahmet said...

(OOC: You should re-read Alexis's description, Ninetoes... I don't think I'm opening a door, but rather opening the secret entrance, which is apparently under your feet...)

Lukas said...

Lukas starts over towards Nine-Toe's and stops noting the ground moving near his feet. "Something is going on... That door definitely is doing more than just opening..."

Alexis said...

No, it doesn't seem to be an entrance opening under Nine-toes' feet ... it appears to be a hand emerging out of the dirt, and mighty fast at that.

Nine-toes, do you mind rolling a d6?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Hmm... maybe it's the Bishop!)

Nine-toes said...

+1 for Dex, right?

5

Lukas said...

(OOC: you follow the system mental effects do not effect undead correct?)

Alexis said...

The roll is for surprise, Nine-toes. You're not.

Lukas, that is correct.

Nine-toes, before you can do anything, the creature will have emerged as far as its torso from the earth. It is a sickening pale gray-white in color, bony and with flesh like paper stretched over a human skeleton. It has a long, protruding fork tongue and red-rimmed, watery eyes.

Another similar creature is emerging from the ground on the other side of Ahmet, next to a tree stump, and from under a grave marker; the marker falls over as the creature's arms emerge.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: How open is the tomb door, at this point? And how far am I from Creature #1 and Creature #2?)

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes smacks the one nearest him with Khamsin when he has a chance to.

(OOC- What I meant to say earlier is... yes, let's scale the castle wall in the rain.)

Lukas said...

Lukas draws a dart from his handy belt, chucks it at the nearest abomination, then moves away from the nearest grave marker. Assuming speech can be concurrent, he likely says something to the effect of, "God save us!"


1pt draw light
2pt ranged attack
2pt move
Am I correct?

Lukas said...

Sorry

attack roll 4 with no mods
damage 3 on d3

Alexis said...

Ahmet,

Please note, asking questions about what is happening in a campaign is not OOC - out of campaign.

The door is a quarter of an inch open. You're ten feet from the second creature, and fifteen feet from the first.

Nine-toes, I will need to have initiative rolled, to see who attacks first. You can draw Khamsin, but if they have initiative, when you step in to attack they'll get first swipe.

Same goes for you, Lukas. Don't roll a d20 to attack until I say to attack. Otherwise, you're right about the movement points. You're not in armor, so you can do all that. Halfway between font and tomb puts you 75 feet away; you said you moved forward earlier, so that makes you 50 feet away; and the creature is 15 feet from the tomb, so you're now 35 feet from the first creature.

Gentlemen: I haven't created a hex map for the combat; I will, if you wish, or you can trust me to keep it all in description. I have run battles both ways in this campaign ... but I'll let you pick.

For the moment, Lukas, roll a d6.

Lukas said...

d6: 2

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Ah, I see. I've been using OOC when I'm writing something that Ahmet isn't thinking or doing... out of character as opposed to out of campaign.)

Well, at least we don't have to worry about something attacking us from the tomb. Well, it'll either be really small, or really strong.

Spying the creature, Ahmet releases the handle. He has 4 MP in his studded leather... if I figure this right, he can move eight hexes, leaving him with 2 MP to attack Creature #2 with his pick ax this round?

Lukas said...

(OOC: I trust the GM enough to track it if that is easier. If it is just two, I will likely be targeting the closest generally, if this increases to 4 or more... Well it might be better to use hex maps.)

Alexis said...

The party loses initiative.

That's not quite right figuring, Ahmet. 1 move = 1 hex. But I think you're saying you can move 8 feet, not 8 hexes ... and yes, you can move 2 hexes (10 feet) with two moves, and still have two moves to attack.

We'll leave the question of what the party does for the moment; the ghouls, such as they are, use their initiative to fully emerge from the ground; they won't get an attack this round.

Ahmet, you can roll to attack your opponent. Nine-toes, you're on the other one. Lukas, you're still 7 hexes/moves (35 feet) away. You can draw your weapon and move forward 4 hexes, or draw a dart and throw it with a move of 2, and move 3 hexes. Or whatever other combination you wish. You can still affect the creatures with PUSH; the cantrips have a range of only 2 hexes.

(remember for spells, you must spend one round casting the spell, and discharging the spell with 1 movement point the following round.

Nine-toes said...

d20: 16
dmg: 4

Ahmet said...

Ahmet charges at Ghoul #2 and swings his pick ax into the foul corpse with a scream of "Allahu Akbar!"

To hit: 15
Damage: 7

Lukas said...

Then Lukas shall close 3 hexes, draw a dart and throw it at the closest ghoul. He will try not to get within 2 hexes of a grave that has not yet released it's inhabitant if possible.

d20: 18
d3: 2

Alexis said...

You all three hit.

The ghouls exhibit little sign of feeling anything, however. Ahmet's pick sinks into the soft fleshy part of the ghoul's chest, and stops as the handle comes into contact with a rib ... but the ghoul claws his arm and stretching out to bite his hand. The damage is superficial, only 1 damage, then 2 more - but Ahmet feels the cold of the ghoul's touch like a freezing pond splashing over his head and chest - roll a d20, Ahmet. This is not an attack roll.

Nine-toes, you too feel the frozen touch of the ghoul after striking it, even as you watch Lukas' dart sink into the ghoul's hip. Both hands of the ghoul together cause 2 damage, but Nine-toes, you too need to roll a d20.

I await both those rolls.

Nine-toes said...

9

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - eaten by ghouls, what a world, what a world)

Lukas said...

(OOC: Ok new plan, we disguise nine-toes and Ahmet as ghouls...)

Ahmet said...

11

Alexis said...

Both Ahmet and Nine-toes fail, and suffer from paralyzation; not their whole bodies, but in both cases their right arms seize and become painfully frozen; both character suffer 8 damage.

Ahmet finds he cannot pull the pick from the body of the ghoul; he would not be able to wield it one handed anyway.

Nine-toes is stunned (I think your character sheet doesn't have your accurate hit points; it's also easier to calculate the 1/4 stun rule if you describe the number you have left, rather than the number you're down).

Ahmet is still active, and of course Lukas can take some action. Lukas, you're still four hexes away. This isn't close enough to move and attack - but you can yet throw another dagger; you could also interpose yourself between Nine-toes and the ghoul, if you wish; the ghoul is going to be all over him next round, as Nine-toes staggers backward, screaming about the pain in his arm.

(but I'm not saying Lukas should do that - it might be very stupid)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet draws a dagger (no MP cost as it weighs less than 5 pounds) and hurls it at the fiend while backing up toward Nine-toes.

I dunno what kind of penalty throwing with the "wrong hand" incurs, so I'll just roll and you can subtract appropriately...

To hit: 13
Damage: 2

Nine-toes said...

If Ninetoes can speak he will say

"Run!"

Lukas said...

Lukas begins casting Push.
If I need to choose a target, or select the version in advance, they will be...
Normal push on the ghoul on Nine-Toes
Can I decide the direction of push or is it always away from me?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Hey Andrej, what's the range on Turn Undead? :) )

Ahmet said...

Actually, if Ahmet took 11 damage in one round, I believe he is stunned as well (37 HP). Craaaap!

Lukas said...

(OOC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Where did I put my bag of lightning bolts...)

Alexis said...

Push is always on a straight path away from the mage.

Thankfully, Ahmet, according to my rules on the subject (changed recently), the hits are gauged separately. So, 1/37th; 2/36ths; then 8/34ths ... not quite 25%.

Aren't you glad?

Andrej said...

(OOC: I dunno, twenty or thirty miles I hope.)

Ahmet said...

Whew... I heartily approve of that rule change.

As stated above, Ahmet chucks his dagger (with the wrong hand) at Ghoul #2 while attempting to get to Nine-toes. My intention is to be between Ghoul #1 and the monk.

Alexis said...

With your dexterity, you'd be -5 with a second weapon ... but since you're only using one weapon in this case, I'll rule a +2 modifier, so you're minus 3. That doesn't succeed in hitting. The heel of the dagger clips the ghoul's shoulder but fails to harm it.

Backing up 10 feet still puts you 10 feet from Nine-toes (who fell back five when he was hit by the ghoul).

I await Lucas' action.

Lukas said...

Lukas begins casting push still. Unless it is the next turn now.

Alexis said...

Oh, sorry Lukas, that slipped my mind.

The ghoul in front of Ahmet staggers forward, the pick still buried in its chest. It is able to get close enough to Ahmet to swing one claw, but this misses.

The second ghoul attacks Nine-toes, slavering from it's loose jaws as it does so. Nine-toes manages to successfully fend off the first claw, but he is struck again by a claw and a bite, the first slashing across his chest and the second ripping a bit of skin off his shoulder. Again there is the sensation of being pushed under freezing water and being held there - Nine-toes screams, and rolls a d20. I need that roll before I can continue.

Nine-toes said...

Huh. 19.

Probably a little late.

Alexis said...

Not at all, Nine-toes. You're not stunned, and though your right arm is paralyzed, and you can't use Khamsin, you're free to act.

(Incidentally, did you add 1 damage for your level when you hit with the quarterstaff? As a monk, you add half a hit point of damage per level for any weapon hits - not your open hand. Thus, if you rolled a 3 on a d6, you should have added 1 for your level and 1 for the quarterstaff's bonus)

Nine-toes and Ahmet, you may both take an action; I would presume that Lukas wishes to discharge his spell ... please let me know what you wish to do with the rest of your movement.

Remember you can hold the spell if you want, moving 5' per round max., letting the spell go when you wish to stop concentrating.

Nine-toes said...

Is it only their bite and claws that cause paralysis, or touching them at all?

i.e. - will I paralyze myself punching them?

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, you find yourself very definitely not wanting to touch them; it is most definitely their skin itself that radiates the cold touch of the grave.

Lukas said...

Good to know. I'll discharge it now though, I think it might be less than kind to my fellows to hold it at this point.

I assume then that I choose the effect on discharge then? If so, I think it might be better to use the damage version on the one on nine-toes.

I have a feeling knocking him 10' away wont help amazingly. Wont the ghoul just get up and follow getting an attack or two? I guess if we actually ARE retreating it might work...

d20: 18
d6+1: 6

Nine-toes said...

Can I say three words and withdraw, or does withdrawing require all my movement?

Alexis said...

To withdraw - you must expend one movement dodging, and one movement for every hex you then want to move away. You may speak while you are moving.

Can you please clarify the damage you caused earlier, regarding my post on that subject? You may have missed it.

Alexis said...

(GCI: Regarding PUSH ... the spell has the effect of causing the creatures pushed to be unable to act for one round - so if you pushed the creature 10 feet away, it would not be able to move forward again until after you had another round to accomplish something you intended)

Nine-toes said...

Sorry, you were right about damage, I didn't add my level (but I did add the point for Khamsin). So the damage would be one point higher than I reported.

Nine-toes said...

1/2 lvl, sorry again.

Alexis said...

(GCI: oh, I should also point out - ask about the weight of the creatures you are pushing. These ghouls weigh between 80 and 90 lbs ... so you could push them 15' per level, as they are between 50% and 66% of 150 lbs)

Alexis said...

So your action, Nine-toes? And Ahmet's?

Nine-toes said...

Hmm, can't bash them with a weapon, can't punch them without paralyzing my arm....

"New plan, Withdraw!"

Ninetoes withdraws and moves away from his ghoul 4 hexes, preferably away from the cemetery. He prepares to move back in if Ahmet cannot or will not withdraw.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet won't retreat! Never!

However, a tactical withdrawal sounds appropriate.

Ahmet withdraws in the same direction as Ninetoes (and hopefully Lukas).

Alexis said...

Nine-toes is able to use quite a number of weapons - dagger, dart, club, etc. - albeit with a -2 penalty ... that's -5 overall with his wrong hand, but he still has some chance of hitting. They do not seem that defensive.

Lukas said...

(OOC: Blogger has the noms this morning)

With that information in mind, I use push to aid my monk friend in retreating using the standard push 15' method and not the ball of force method.

Nine-toes said...

The problem is, Ninetoes doesn't have anything on him but Khamsin and the crossbow.

Unless he can improvise a club off the ground?

Lukas said...

And by aid my monk friend I mean push the ghoul attacking him. I clarified that in my first post blogger ate.

Alexis said...

The push definitely had some effect, causing the one ghoul's chest to literally cave in, showing the bare bones beneath. The ghoul, however, is unfazed, and starts moving forward. It covers 15 feet of the distance towards Lukas and Nine-toes, ten feet to Ahmet's right.

The one Ahmet was fighting also moves forward 15 feet.

Neither is able to get close enough to attack, however.

You may take some sort of action.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: This combat brought to you by The Walking Dead, Sundays on AMC.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: I heart the undead.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Musketeers and Zombies)

Lukas said...

Lukas throws another dart at the nearest ghoul, then retreats from it as far as he can. As long as that is at least 15 feet, if he can't go 15 feet or more, it will be pure retreat.

D20: 15
D3: 3

Nine-toes said...

I will withdraw and move 5 hexes.

Note to self: start carrying a club.

Alexis said...

Lukas' dart sinks into the ghoul's skull ... the creature's eyes roll back, turn black, and the creature crashes to the ground with a wet, sickening thud. The mage seems to have killed it.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Wow... get me some of those darts!)

Does Ahmet feel like his right arm is getting better, or is it still out for the count?

Are there any open graves around? Perhaps we could take advantage of the ghoul's mindless advancement and have them stumble into one...

Alexis said...

No such luck on an open grave.

There is a tingling in your arm, and also in that of Nine-toes. The effect may not be permanent.

Lukas said...

Well that's good news, so we just flee until you regain feeling, then strike, then flee again...

Nine-toes said...

Which one died, the one chasing me or Ahmet?

I could give my crossbow to Lukas. I can't load it with one arm.

"Lukas, take my crossbow!"

Alexis said...

May I assume you're continuing to back up, all three of you? Lukas, could you confirm how many darts you've thrown? I believe I limited your openly carried number to 4; you might have others in your backpack.

Ahmet's pick is still in the one ghoul's chest, the one still coming forward ...

Ahmet said...

I want to keep the same distance (15'?) between Ahmet and Ghoul #2. (I'm assuming Lukas killed Ghoul #1?)

So far, the top speed we've observed of a ghoul is 15'. So Ahmet will use 3 MPs to move 15' away from Ghoul #2, and the remaining MP to draw his scimitar. Normally it would take him 0 MP to draw a scimitar (less than 5 pounds), but given he'd have to do it with the wrong hand, I'll assume 1 MP. If it takes more than 1 MP, though, Ahmet will draw a dagger... again, if 1 MP or less.

Nine-toes said...

Oh yes, still backing up, please.

Alexis said...

Lukas can take the crossbow, but he hasn't the slightest idea how to load one, or the finger strength to manage it. Even if it were an arbalist, he'd likely hurt himself before succeeding.

I will make the presumption that Ahmet obtains his scimitar, however long it takes (your reasoning seems good). Soon after, your paralyzed hand seems to have developed some flexibility. You can even grasp the scimitar's handle, though your swing would yet be weak.

Nine-toes, too, seems to be in the same situation.

Nine-toes said...

I'll try taking a swing with Khamsin when the opportunity presents itself.

Ahmet said...

Encouraged by the magic-user putting down Ghoul #1 -- and assuming it has not risen from the ground and started shambling forward again -- Ahmet yells to the others, "Come on! Let's send this foul creature back to Hell!"

Alexis said...

Can I have a d6 rolled please, Nine-toes.

Lukas said...

Dart Counting:
Lukas had 6 darts total, 4 on his belt, 2 in his pack.

He now has 2 on his belt and 2 in his pack.

I believe you said 4 per belt, maximum 6 in the open, however changing this really doesn't effect me.

Crossbow Fumbling:
Is the crossbow half cocked? I'd also need a bolt wouldn't I?

Nine-toes said...

4

Lukas said...

Ah well, then I move closer towards Ahmet and throw a dart! (I don't want to get closer than 20ft from the ghoul if possible)

D20: 14
D3: 2

Alexis said...

Just counting, Lukas.

You're a mage; you really can't fire it and hope to hit with it. Good chance of hurting yourself.

Lukas said...

To be honest, that was my first impression as well. I was going to have that comical, "What the hell do I do with this?" Moment.

Alexis said...

Lukas hasn't missed yet, but the roll DOESN'T count because I haven't yet indicated that it is the player's turn. As I said, Lukas, please be patient. We're rolling for initiative first.

(OOC: sorry, but I have to make a point about who is running the game)

Ahmet and the ghoul will attack each other simultaneously. But FIRST, both Nine-toes and Lukas have a dexterity that allows them to attack first. Nine-toes' comment comes first, but please, both of you roll d20 and damage. Nine-toes with Khamsin, and Lukas (I presume) with dart.

Nine-toes said...

d20: 9
dmg: 7

Lukas said...

Targeting Ghoul
d20:12
d3:3

Alexis said...

Ah, that would be a miss.

I'm not sure we've had a simultaneous incident before. It means, regardless of who hits or what damage is done, everyone is able to complete their attacks. Thus, the ghoul is able to simultaneously strike with claw, claw and bite while Ahmet is able to swing with his scimitar.

Ahmet, give me your roll: d20, then damage.

Phenomenally, the ghoul manages to miss in all cases. Perhaps it is getting tired.

Ahmet said...

Again, I'm not sure of the penalty, so I'll just give the roll...

13

(hopefully that's a lucky number...)

Normally, it would be +1 due to Strength, but I don't know if that applies given I'm using the wrong hand.

Damage for a scimitar I believe is D8?

6

Again, it would normally be +3 for Strength, but I don't know if that applies.

Alexis said...

Assume everything applies unless I say different.

You are weakened, but it is half damage overall. So you would normally cause 9 ... in this case you cause 4 in your weakened state (fractions are discounted).

Still, its enough to christen the scimitar. The creature's head is cut from its body, and both parts fall unmoving to the ground. Apparently, they're both 'dead' now.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet beheads the other ghoul as well, just in case. Besides, it's fun. He also recovers his pick ax and his dagger.

"I hope there are no more of these foul things to be found."

Alexis said...

I will spare the party the concern they might be feeling. The ghouls are definitely dead. They may require a burial, but the evil that inhabited their bodies has returned to the what netherworld they came from, and you have now some rather rotten and disgusting flesh remaining behind.

The important part:

Ahmet, please take 533 x.p.

Nine-toes, please take 444 x.p.

And Lukas, please take 280 x.p.


I ask you gentlemen to update your characters, both in hit points and experience, before we continue. Nine-toes, you need 4,751 x.p. to go up; I don't think you have it, but it would be nice if Ahmet's error on his level wasn't repeated.

Nine-toes said...

"*ahem* Well, that sucked."

"Nice shot with the darts, Lukas."

"Ahmet, how badly are you wounded? We have the jars of salve. Perhaps now would be a good time to use them."

Lukas said...

Is that including 10% for relevant class statistic?

Alexis said...

Yes, it does include the 10% that both Ahmet and Lukas are entitled to; easier for me to just calculate it before awarding it out.

(I do this all on excel, you know)

Lukas said...

"Yes... Thank you. Ugh..." Lukas starts to examine the corpses, to see if any of the darts are recoverable.

"Should we... Should we bury them? And should we try the door again?"

Alexis said...

Your darts are undamaged.

Nine-toes said...

"Our friend Andrej might give them a proper burial, preferably when the bishop is apprehended by Herr Hornung."

"Ahmet, do you think you could use the pickaxe to enter the tomb?"

"I'm tempted just to ask the shepherd if he saw anyone head to the woods three days ago. I think I'm through making suggestions, though. This course has not served us well."

Ahmet said...

(OOC: It wasn't an error, just a delay in reporting. ;) )

Given Ahmet's knowledge of mining, how long does he estimate it would take to tunnel into the side of the tomb?

Alexis said...

The shepherd is four miles away.

Oh, Ahmet could cut his way in with the pick in an hour or two.

Or, he could realize the door only stopped opening because he stopped pulling on the handle when the ghouls appear.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet says, "It would likely me take a few hours -- and maybe more than one pick ax -- to tunnel through that stone. It's four inches thick!"

He returns to the door. "I'll keep pulling on it, if you two keep an eye out for the undead."

Ahmet is down 11 HP at the moment, but won't use the healing salve just yet. But Ninetoes, you should use at least one. (We have four doses, each one heals 1-4 HP.)

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes uses salve. Do I roll or do you Alexis?

Alexis said...

For every salve used, roll a d4 and add that to your hit points. I trust you guys.

Alexis said...

The door does pull, and at the same rate as before.

It takes quite a few minutes to finally pull it open wide enough to let the party members through.

You cannot tell precisely what caused the noises inside ... but there are about ten caltrops littering the stairwell steps inside, leading down.

Nine-toes said...

I use 1 for... 1hp.

Ahmet said...

Does my arm feel like it is back to normal?

If not... does Nine-toes arm feel like it's back to normal? Maybe the salve helps.

Aaaand... does anyone have a torch?

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes produces a torch from his backpack and flint from a belt pouch.

Alexis said...

A little stiff, but your arms do feel normal.

(OOC: I'm going to stop answering on this thread for the rest of the day; Andrej's in a cliffhanger, so I'll continue there for awhile, but I've got to cut my attention to other things.

Twas fun guys. Let me know if you go down the stairs or back to town, or wherever, so I can start a new post; this one is getting full)

Lukas said...

Lukas follows, and upon seeing the caltrops, picks them up carefully, he also has replaced hist darts in their respective locations after wiping them off on grass followed by his cloak.

I assume it is dark inside?

"I can use a spell to create light, but if we encounter conflict, I will not be able to remake it."

Lukas said...

Lukas looks down the steps, "So I guess this is it then is it? What's the bishop doing allowing undead to reside outside his castle hrm? This is most strange."

Ahmet said...

Ahmet is for heading down the steps. What say you two?

Nine-toes said...

Aye, lets head down the steps. Lukas?

Lukas said...

Of coarse, we've gone this far! Though do we have anything to prop in the doorway? I'm suspicious of it closing behind us ominously.

Lukas said...

"With this door being that heavy, and it being guarded by those creatures, do you think perhaps the bishop... Well... That those would normally open the door for him? I can't imagine him being a strong man."

Nine-toes said...

Hmm... good point. I have a crowbar. I'll set in the doorjamb.

After that, Ninetoes fire's up a torch and heads down.

Lukas said...

Lukas follows while sharing his suppositions and speculations.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet sheathes his scimitar and holds his pick ax at the ready in both hands. Then he shoulders his way past Ninetoes and takes the lead. "Better I get hit first, my friend."

(OOC: See you guys in the next post...)

Alexis said...

(Okay, the new post is up)