Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Lower Bailey Gate

The gate is at the upper left.

B & F are wide lanes, cobblestones but mostly dirt paths.

G is the pasture.

This is on the edge of town, where the houses are widely spaced apart; in the town proper, the roads would not be five hexes wide (more like two).




With party placement:


122 comments:

Lukas said...

(OOC: I like your picture. My only complaint being that I think the walls arrow slits should be tapered so as to give the archers inside greater angles of attack. But let's be honest, that's getting really nitpicky, and this IS the outer bailey, maybe they didn't pay extra for that feature ;) )

Alexis said...

Hah! Tapered.

Are you sure its okay I didn't put grains in the wooden logs?

You make me laugh ... 'specially when I know what you do for a living, Lukas.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I didn't put slits on the inside, either - and they're there, even if you can't see them. When I fix that, I'll make them all tapered, just for you!)

Lukas said...

(OOC: As my companions silently cry out in agony at my giving the opposition better angles of attack.)

Alexis said...

In general, guys, approach this very carefully; ask questions again if you need to. I may not have given you enough of an answer - harrass me if you have to, in all caps if that's what it takes. There was a lot to read through on the last post.

Alexis said...

(the tapering was presumed; maps are, after all, only abstracts)

Lukas said...

What are each of those buildings with line of sight to the castle, and can you get into them to their tops?

Alexis said...

They're all houses, two stories high. The doors are locked, and unless you're a thief you've little chance of getting on the roof by climbing up the outside)

Lukas said...

Can I find a two story pole? Probably not. Is it assumed we will see these folks from the distance before were 'in sight' or should I save questions on them till we get there?

G is downhill I'm guessing?

What makes the dark green dark green? Thicker concealment or shrubberies?

Those are big wooden posts just leaned against the doors? Or are there other things attaching them?

They're standing around a fire and not working when we approach then?

Melchior said...

Is there any space between the houses? Do we feel that a few vigorous kicks would get us though the doors of one of the houses?

It would be nice to come out of the front door of the house closest to the gate, possibly by going into one of the houses that backs onto the block, then going into the house close to the gate from behind.

I don't think making a bunch of noise would be an issue - getting some or all of the gate guards to come investigate would be a good thing, actually.

Thoughts?

Lukas said...

I don't know if the gate guards would be too interested in a little looting. I'm sure they are very good at following orders considering they are putting up braces to lock an entire town of people in.

At best we could hope to surprise them by having the warriors funnel out the door, and me using a second floor window as cover.

Lukas said...

Another valid concern is if the houses are actually occupied. I mean, just because 300 people went to the vigil, does not mean the whole town went there, and with the quiet rules in place, we might not know if inhabitants were there.

Ahmet said...

1) Presumably we are off the map in the lower-right hand corner somewhere?

2) How long will it take us to get from our current position to be "on the map"?

3) Is the dotted line between "F" and "G" a fence or a wall? How high is it, what's it made of?

I kind of like the idea of coming out of the house, even noting the above concerns...

Alexis said...

No such post. You know the guards are there from having viewed them from the roof of the inn off the bottom end of the map (about 48 hexes from the front gate).

G is quite flat. The portion where it rises is somewhat above the top of the map. G also has tufts of grass throughout; it is September, and these are brown, but a thief could hide in shadows to get to the pasture fence.

The grass is admittedly brownish-green; but I did not have the pattern option to make it that color: bleh. The green around the building is cropped grass, worked over by goats owned by the townspeople. The pasture is thicker.

From the distance you were at it was hard to tell about the posts. They are fixed at the bottom to posts apparently hammered in the ground, a foot across; how they are braced against the doors you don't know.

From the inn, they all seem fairly casual once the posts are in place.

Alexis said...

Melchior,

There's no space between the houses; they are buttressed right up to each other.

Entering any house around the outside would give you access to the shared courtyard ... and that would give you access in turn to any other house of the block.

Arnsberg has a population of about 3,500; most of these would be servants or laborers, in the part of town outside the walls, and most of these would be indoors at this time.

Alexis said...

Ahmet. Yes, you are off the map. Somewhere on the bottom; you can approach this map as you like. The approach from the left of the map can be added if you insist, though I must tell you that is the most obvious, open-spaced area (virtually nothing to the left of the map would offer cover)

You are on the map when you say you're on the map; at the point where you indicated. I added the letters so you could give a sense of where you stand or approach as you will.

The dotted line is a fence; about four feet high, three open stiles of bleached weathered wood.

Melchior said...

So we might be able to bribe/bully our way in, rather than kicking in the door. Even a knock followed by a quick, quiet push right through might do the trick. Too much ruckus would be an issue, though.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I dunno about you guys, but I'm for smashing into the house at the bottom of the map, casting a few gold pieces (and a menacing look from Ahmet if that's not enough) at any servants who try to stop us, barreling out the back door into the courtyard, and then going into the rear of the house with the dark green front lawn. Again, attempting to mollify any servants inside with bribes and/or threats.)

Ahmet gives Klaas his heavy crossbow and quiver of bolts. "Bring this." (Can the crossbow be slung over a shoulder, or does it have to be carried?)

Alexis said...

The crossbow can be slung if it is not 3/4 loaded; but if you wish to fire it after one more round of loading, you must carry it.

Melchior said...

I'm with Ahmet on that. If we go quick and mean we can get through before any major noise is raised.

We do need to time it right, though. Lukas should stay on the roof for the time being, so as to alert us about what is happening.

Can we see down into the lower bailey at all? Can we hear anything that is happening over there?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Got it.)

Klaas slings it over a shoulder so he can still wield his glaive.

Are we to assume Nine-toes is not joining us in this assault, or can we use him as an NPC pending his return? (I'm still hopeful!)

Alexis said...

Sorry, Melchior - what roof should Lukas stay on?

If you are referring to the Inn roof where you were when the riders came up, that's 20 hexes south of point C on this map. Hearing range is only 12 hexes (24 for shouting, presuming a good wind), so he wouldn't hear anything that was going on, and couldn't provide any warning.

I answered the statement about seeing into the Lower Bailey in the last post, but there is something about the above I haven't mentioned (forgot). The walls are 25 feet high; the gate towers are 35. The circle of grey area around the walls is SLOPED up towards the walls ... about 3 feet vertical per hex. The fire wouldn't have been seen from the inn roof, but it is 12 feet higher than the house with the dark lawn. The gate is 30 feet higher.

Alexis said...

I did mention yesterday the bailey was raised, but forgot to repeat that today.

Alexis said...

Nine-toes is not at present joining you. We haven't heard from him in two weeks now.

Andrej said...

Ahmet, the plan about going through the houses... does it really give us that much more advantage than going along the walls at points E and D and coming from around the right corner of the house that way?

Alexis said...

There is a gentle glow that can be seen emitting from within the Lower Bailey, reflecting off the inside walls of the tower; this must be the hundreds of candles that are lit within. There are some forty torches burning upon the wall of the High Bailey, which can be seen from in the inn roof, but not from street level.

Lukas said...

Well if the companions can shoot crossbows, we can have them man the second floor with me and use said crossbows while also preventing inhabitants from harassing me. Or they can wade in with you.

Alexis said...

Let me add that it is getting quite dark. A quiet, unarmored person, even a non-thief, would probably be able to sneak up along the houses of street B without being seen until reaching building's end.

Ahmet said...

I would think we'd be spotted much earlier, probably at the point when we turn the corner near the hex labeled "E".

We'd also likely have about twice as many hexes to cover running from the "D" to the fire (I count about 12?) as opposed from the front door (I count six?), presuming the front door is in the center of the building.

Still, given we'll likely have to deal with servants getting in the way, it might be easier to stay outside the houses.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Re: "a quiet, unarmored person"... You're not going to get me out of my armor this time, Alexis!)

Lukas said...

Being the only unarmored person here, I am not a proponent of being at the front of the charge.

Melchior said...

If we go fast in single-file along the side of the buildings, then charge as soon as we hit the corner and form up, it would probably work about the same as coming out of the door. Being spotted doesn't necessarily mean being attacked, and if something major is going on inside the bailey, the tower guards may be distracted. Whatever we do, it should be fast and hard, with no hesitation unless we meet massive missile fire.

Going along the side of the building has less unknowns though, so less can go wrong.

Lukas said...

One major issue, can sleep spells be targeted through arrow slits, and furthermore, how many people could be targeted with such a method?

Andrej said...

I like the idea of second storey archers and I concede there's a chance of being spotted at point E.

I guess I worry about how long we'll have to cow or bribe servants while we wait to strike... and as Melchior points out, it adds complexity that could backfire.

Lukas said...

I need a summon barricade spell... For instant cover! That's my main benefit from the windowsill. Not being out in the open unarmored for arrows to fire at me as I wiggle my fingers.

Alexis said...

Ahmet,

"I would think we'd be spotted much earlier, probably at the point when we turn the corner near the hex labeled "E"."

You're forgetting its nearly night.

Alexis said...

Lukas: for the sleep spell, you have to clearly see the target. If a bowman were hanging out the window, yes, you could affect him; you might be able to see one - but the spell always affects those closest to the mage, then further away in concentric circles, weak before the strong.

Andrej said...

Given that its almost night, would Lukas and Ahmet be comfortable coming in from the right vs. the front house? Lukas, I suspect casting from around a corner in darkness would provide as or maybe more cover than the window.

Melchior said...

The right looks an OK direction for Lukas to sneak up in, but a really bad one to attack from. It has clear lines of fire from both towers for a much longer way. And we should not split up the fighters, I am thinking.

Andrej said...

I'm saying we should all attack from the right, Lukas staying behind and staying concealed until such a time as he's needed. A crossbowman could also remain.

Andrej said...

My impression of the area is that it will be dark until we approach the fire, so the lines of fire may mot be so clear as the would in the day.

Alexis, am I interpreting your descriptions correctly?

Lukas said...

I don't think I have anything else to contribute to the plan currently. As a note, the range on sleep is 40 feet and it only lasts 5 rounds.

Ahmet said...

Let's just review:

The plan is we advance along Road F to Point E, hugging the buildings as best as possible to avoid being spotted.

Then we sprint from Point E to Point D, where Klaas (with crossbow and glaive) will wait behind as much cover as they can find.

From Point D, the party will advance in a wedge formation (Ahmet at the point) to the fire.

Am I missing anything?

Lukas said...

Assuming they advance to meet you, I might still need to be at D to cast sleep on anyone. If I do, it will likely have to be on the soldiers, since being at the proper angle for the archers sounds like it might not happen.

Melchior said...

Sounds good to me.

Alexis said...

Andrej,

I think you are interpreting me correctly. I will add a circle around the fire to indicate its lighting, probably not until tomorrow though.

Ahmet,

You will probably not want to 'sprint' in your plate mail; you may not be seen, but you will be heard.

If you are in agreement, I will start the party behind the wall at point D.

I will need an order to line you up in.

(OOC: I knocked the map together from scratch during a lull this morning; took me about an hour. I don't have that kind of time at the moment - I will try to update the map, placing the party and adding the firelight circle this evening.

I'm going to try doing this differently; each round will be represented by one post, so viewers can go back and see the whole battle as it progressed.

Tell me anything else you think I should add to the map; I will still be here for questions)

Andrej said...

Lukas, if you feel strongly about the second storey window we can go that route... but once the party main departs to engage the guards at the gate are you comfortable mollifying whomever might be in residence? Perhaps a charm spell and some fast-talking to get into the house?

Andrej said...

Alexis, I still think there are some details to work out beofre we commit to being @ D. Also, I think we still remain committed to not attacking until some commotion is raised in the bailey. We should probably discuss this some more to make sure we're all on the same page.

Um... are we all on the same page?

Lukas said...

Charm lasts 1 round. We should go with the corner and go from there if you think the darkness/corner will be enough cover.

One question for Alexis. Can I cast around the corner and then peek out to release the spell?

Ahmet said...

I think if we time our attack to begin when there is confusion and screaming from inside the bailey, we won't have to do much fast talking.

I think the second floor window is a better idea because it's closer, and perhaps safer. Perhaps. :)

Melchior said...

We're all basically on the same page, but we don't want to start moving until we hear commotion inside the bailey. If that doesn't happen, then there isn't much point moving. I'll take Andrej's lead here - you make the final call.

Andrej said...

Regarding the sprinting and the being heard... I could cast my silence spell...

Alexis said...

Lukas,

You only have to see your opponent when you discharge a spell. You don't need to be in line of sight while casting.

It does occur to me that a mage could peek out for one move, discharge, and duck again behind cover. Funny no one has tried that before. I'm interested to see how nasty that gets.

Alexis said...

(GCI: I suppose its possible I could insist on an initiative roll if an archer, in turn, kept an eye on the place where the mage was expected to pop up ... but that's going to be near impossible at night)

Ahmet said...

Not that we're marching at the moment, but just to continue our same-paging: The formation would be a wedge with Ahmet at the point, Andrej on his right, Melchior on his left, Joost in the middle.

(Unless Andrej prefers Joost on the right, Andrej in the middle.)

Andrej said...

Ok, here's the plan again:

* Advance along Road F to Point E, hugging the buildings as best as possible to avoid being spotted.

* Andrej casts Bless upon the Catholics at point E

* Await some commotion from the bailey if it hasn't already happened by now

* Andrej casts Silence upon a rock he will place in his belt pouch

* Ahmet, Andrej, Melchior & Joost sprint from Point E to Point D, where Klaas (with crossbow and glaive) & Lukas will wait behind as much cover as they can find.

* From D, the assault party will charge in a diamond formation (Ahmet at the point, Andrej & Melchior at the flanks, Joost at the rear) to the soldiers waiting about the fire.

* Zaniness ensues... perhaps a battle montage scene with "Eye of the Tiger" begins to blare as we form up our diamond

* Emmanuel awaits us at the inn, horses readied

If we agree, next action should be to make our way to the lower right corner of the map.

Alexis said...

You may presume when the time arrives that you will move first; as no attack is expected, this is more or less an ambush. Your enemy will have to roll vs. surprise.

When battle is met, initiative would be rolled to see who hits first - unless you can reach your enemy before any surprise wears off. Don't forget you can move double speed by the end of two rounds - but moving up hill you can't move faster than normal speed.

Andrej said...

Your ordering of the wedge/ diamond works for me, Ahmet... with one less attacker it'll look more like a diamond, though. Once the shit hits the fan we four should fight back-to-back-to-back-to-back.

Ahmet
Melchior Andrej
Joost

Andrej said...

--------- Ahmet
melchior----------Andrej
----------Joost

Alexis said...

(OOC: Must be me; I hear waiting for the worms from Pink Floyd)

Andrej said...

(OOC: I was going for the cheeze factor... plus we're missing the black sweaters and armbands... and Silvius had the hammers.)

Alexis said...

lol. true enough.

Andrej said...

(OOC: I'm going home tonight and listening to The Wall in its entirety as a result of this exchange. I might even break out the vinyl.)

Andrej said...

Andrej leaves the inn, giving Emmanuel any final instructions. He makes his way toward the lower right corner of the map.

Ahmet said...

One last thing before we leave: Will we be able to monitor what is happening inside the bailey from that position?

What if we leave Lukas (and I suppose Klaas) on the Inn rooftop? We could prearrange a signal -- let's say an arm to the left for "attack," an arm to the right for "wait," an arm straight up for "here comes the Horde of Hornung," and waving both arms while jumping up and down for "abort the mission... RUN FOR IT!"

We could come up with more signals if you like, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head they would need to communicate.

Emmanuel also should be positioned so he could see the same signals and react accordingly.

Anyway, Lukas isn't wearing armor, so perhaps he can get from the Inn to Point E in the same amount of time it will take us, more or less.

Lukas said...

Problem with this plan. It is dark, or will be dark. Visibility and sound will not work unless you want me to light a torch.

Ahmet said...

We have Andrej and his Orc'y eyes.

Alexis said...

Ahmet,

You can't see the inn roof from the ground; houses are in the way. Remember I said you couldn't see the fire from the inn roof either, so you'd have to be up by the gate to see Lukas signal.

Hornung would not be moving an army at night. Even if he's somewhere in the neighborhood (and he isn't supposed to be until tomorrow), he would bivouak and wait for day. The riders were probably just warning the town that Hornung was going to arrive tomorrow or perhaps the day after.

I don't intend to do ANYTHING until you guys pop out and attack. There's no reason for the guards to suspect anyone is coming ... so they're going to stand around until they're bothered.

Andrej and his Orc'y eyes are only good for 12 hexes.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Guys, I've just posted another blog post about initiative and movement. I hope you're finding these useful. I hope to have one up about stunning before the weekend)

Ahmet said...

OK, so scratch the idea about Lukas on the roof. Let's roll!

Ahmet joins Andrej in traveling to the lower-right corner of the map edge.

Lukas said...

In other words, we have no backup and can expect no backup for a long long time. Especially considering we intend to wait on a cue around the corner in full armor for... how many hours possibly?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Well... what do you think we should do instead?

My concern if we simply wait on the inn rooftop, when the sheet hits the fan we'll be too far away to do anything meaningful.)

Lukas said...

I honestly wonder what we'll actually achieve anyhow. We're basically storming the castle with six people. Our only hope is that there IS some kind of resistance on the other side to come pouring out with our assistance. And without any communications in, I don't think we can count on that. Especially counting on them being in the outermost bailey seems a stretch to me. I'll join the party all the way, but I'm not entirely sure what were going to achieve aside from picking off 12 guards before we flee from tower archers.

Lukas said...

Our only other option seems to be to wait, and report later. This of coarse doesn't sound appealing to me either, but what can you do but storm the castle?

Lukas said...

(OOC: "Oh, what I wouldn't give for a holocaust cloak." ~Westley)

James C. said...

Nothing is forcing us to storm the castle. That said, I want to storm the castle. Yes its dangerous, and a little nuts, but its not without purpose. Nobody should feel coerced into putting their character on the line, though. My view is if somebody wants to bail on this crazy idea now, let's bail. No hard feelings. We'll be storming it eventually either way.

Tonight I was going for a little action, a chance to fire the first volley and to screw up the bad guy's evil plans.

Ahmet said...

Fortune favors the bold. :)

Lukas said...

I'm coming, I'm just saying I don't expect stellar results. If this guy dies, I lose one combat's worth of xp and Alexis willing roll another... I'm not going to purposely run into a sword or anything, but I'm not going to be a wasted spot when the party ventures into heavy combat.

Alexis said...

As promised, I've added the glow for the fire, I've fixed Lukas' issues with the arrow slots and I've placed the party into what I think is the position they've wanted. You are not seen in this position; please correct me, and I will correct the picture, if this isn't to your liking.

Melchior said...

Looks good to me. Now we wait for the bad to start. If it doesn't start, then Lukas, you have your wish.

Lukas said...

You seem to be confusing wishes with expectations, however, I am ready.

Melchior said...

Nope - you expect things to go wrong, and wish we wouldn't do this. If nothing happens inside the barbican, we won't do this, and you get your wish.

Lukas said...

I expect that this is like kicking a giant in the ankle and hoping that opens it up for another giant we haven't seen to push them over.

I wish there was something proactive to do I feel would be productive.

I feel ambivalent about this action, because it's 'doing something' and since everyone else is into it, I'll go along. Failure or success, we will learn something and as a player, I will come out ahead.

Andrej said...

Andrej awaits some sign from the lower bailey.

Before, from the inn, we could see the glow of the candles on the inside of the outer walls. Any such sign that there is a vigil going on in the lower bailey from our current vantage?

Alexis said...

Tension increases and the party back-bites. Well, good.

(OOC: Two things.

I obliquely asked a question, and while I got a response on the other blog from Butch, I did not get the question answered. I will be less oblique: Are the combat posts on the other blog helpful?

I can't help but notice that while I do get positive feedback on the general enjoyment of the game - thanks all, I know you're liking the campaign - I'm a bit short on specific feedback about things that are in fact taking up a lot of my time; combat posts for one. I'd also like to know if the weather is making a difference; does it FEEL like winter's coming. Does anyone worry about that? Is the presence of the moon image - full at the moment, and high in the sky, which would provide a ton of light to the party while the fire distorts the gate's ability to use it - helpful, or is the general attitude a sort of 'bleh.'

There's a lot of things I try out here; an occasional word or two about the effect - let's say one word per month of play, per player - would be helpful.

The other thing:

I am thinking I will need to take off either the 3rd week or the 4th week of March, for general sanity purposes; is there a week people would prefer I be here, as opposed to not?)

In the campaign, then:

The pleasant temperature that was there when the sun went down (low 70s F) drops pretty rapidly by the time an hour has passed. You feel the coolness of an autumn night coming on.

Sure enough, you are not disappointed. The screaming inside the Lower Bailey starts out with just a few voices, and quickly rises as dozens upon dozens of both men and women begin to be alarmed.

Alexis said...

Andrej,

The reference to candles was the vigil I was describing. The glow was arising from inside the Lower Bailey. The glow does not snuff out as the screaming starts - not immediately, at any rate. But it does diminish quickly.

Andrej said...

(OOC: The first detailed combat post was of great benefit and I believe I had said so. I have it bookmarked, reference it often and have considered adopting your movement system wholesale for my offline game. It all seems pretty clear, so I haven't felt the need for clarification yet.

To me, at this point, the campaign is my primary online gaming interest. Everything else, including your excellent main blog, is secondary. I've gotten more out of playing your game than I ever got out of reading about it, and I got a lot out of it just reading about it.

From the player perspective, the weather, the moon, the price sheets, the maps... each detail is contributing to the depth and breadth and therefore my immersion. The campaign is not just going well. It is, by far, the only game I want to be playing in right now.

Take whatever time or week you need, there are no weeks upcoming that are better or worse than any others for me.)

Lukas said...

(OOC: Alexis, I find your initiative post and movement post interesting. The movement helps clarify intent as well as helping to clarify what each movement is relevant to should there be need. For weather, I've had some thoughts on the upcoming winter. I've considered that I may be eating more potatoes. I've also considered trying to stay out of the rain. As for the state of the moon, I honestly forgot it was there. I should really pay more attention to that.)

Lukas said...

(OOC: Oh and I think the tapered arrow slits are well done.)

Andrej said...

Andrej prays, casts bless and lays a hand on the forehead of each Catholic willing to accept the blessing.

These individuals have a +1 to hit and "morale is raised" but i'm not sure what game effect that is specifically... hopefully it will keep a man-at-arms from bolting.

On my next action I intend to cast silence upon a rock and stick it into my belt pouch whole Ahmet organizes our "wedge".

Alexis said...

To the best of my knowledge, Lukas and Ahmet are not Catholic. Melchior, Joost and Klaas can take advantage of it.

Lukas said...

I get ready to push behind the corner at D as soon as possible, and do so when I can.

Andrej said...

Joost and Klaas probably need it most, especially since whichever one is using the crossbow is non-proficient, I believe.

May I cast silence now or do we await Ahmet?

Lukas said...

Lukas is religious, but I need to check which religion was most prevalent in his original location before calling which one...

According to Wikipedia (Which is never wrong), Catholicism was most prevalent. However, since I haven't declared it previously, I will forfeit as necessary.

Andrej said...

(OOC: As for the upcoming winter, I was serious when I told the guys I needed a new mink coat!)

Alexis said...

I'd like to hear the word "Go" from all four of you. Then we can start the first round.

Andrej, I will presume you've cast Silence and Bless one after the other, before any movement takes place; you do not need to repeat that you do this. When everyone moves ("Go") I'll assume those spells are already cast.

Lukas moving up to corner; Klaas next to him; remaining party to move as a diamond across the grass directly at - who, or what, exactly?

Andrej said...

Andrej will see to the disposition of your immortal soul once we clear the porch here, Lukas. In the meantime, keep your head down! ;)

Andrej said...

Ahmet decides where to take the wedge, he's our bruiser and the "tip of the spear" so to speak. The rest of us follow his lead.

GO!

Lukas said...

Lukas will do as stated.

GO!

Melchior said...

Melchior taps his shield with his sword (silently, of course) and nods his head forward, lips moving in prayer. Go, go, go.

Andrej said...

Don't worry, Melchior, it's silent alright.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Ready!)

Before we march, though -- are the guards at all alarmed by the sounds coming from inside the Bailey, or do they appear to be in on whatever nefarious plan is underfoot?

Alexis said...

Ahmet,

"Ready"? You can't just say go?

You're too far, and the fire and darkness obscure their expressions. However, they're not running around or moving differently.

Lukas said...

Besides, Ahmet, I think you were choosing where the death train was going...

Ahmet said...

Alexis, I wanted to see what they were doing. If they seemed concerned, we might have a different strategy.

Since (we think) they're not...

GO!

Ahmet said...

We march toward the fire.

Alexis said...

If I can avoid it, I'd rather not remake more images than I have to. Let us assume for the moment that Ahmet, with others in tow, is four hexes closer to the fire (without my needing to post that picture).

Here is what happens:

1) No reaction from the guards. Apparently, due to the silence, the darkness, and the party being on the other side of the fire, no one has noticed the party emerging from around the corner of the building and moving towards them.

2) Lukas and Klaas are by the wall.

Before Klass can fire, he will need to spend a round finishing up loading the crossbow.

Am I right in depicting Joost using a glaive?

Action?

Alexis said...

The screaming is becoming MUCH more frenzied now. Several guards are looking behind them at the wall, but they are not making any movements.

You see some arrows flicking from the far side of the barbican towers INTO the Lower Bailey.

Andrej said...

(OOC: I saw a Chinese film once (sorry, forget the title) where the soldiers of an opposing army were captured, led into a bailey like this and for several minutes fired at from above. They had been betrayed by their captors, who promised them they'd be fed in exchange for their peaceful surrender. Visceral stuff.)

Andrej nudges Ahmet with the head of his mace, urging a quick pace into the ranks of the guards.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet hastens his pace. Target is the closest of the three guards on our side of the fire.

Andrej said...

Recommend Ahmet goes first for our side each round, other four reacting to his lead. As we're silenced, the ability to communicate and coordinate will be limited. Ahemt, you're the boss.

Andrej said...

Alexis, I believe you are correct regarding the glaive.

Alexis said...

Sorry, if we could be more precise. "Hastens his pace" is a null program. Ahmet moves, I believe, 3 hexes per round in plate (which would make you 3 hexes from the corner of the building, not 4 - my error); this means he can double his speed up to SIX hexes per round, or increase it to either 4 or 5 hexes.

That is, he can make each hex this round cost half a move, as he moved at normal pace the previous round. The fire is 10 hexes away, the nearest guard 9 hexes.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet goes the full six hexes.

Andrej said...

Andrej keeps pace with Ahmet, 6 full hexes.

Alexis said...

I presume Melchior follows; I did not hear Klass indicated that he finished loading, but I'll rule that he does (he's still an NPC)

That leaves Lukas: he has one round of action to take.

Lukas said...

I will remain in position for this round. However, I will peek around the corner to keep appraised of the combat.

Alexis said...

I must take that to mean you don't want to ready a spell and hold onto it. Good enough. I will create the next post, and we'll roll initiative.

I think we can start with Ahmet rolling a d6.

Ahmet said...

D6: 2

Fudge.

Ahmet said...

Oh... was I supposed to wait until the next post? I guess I ought to re-roll? ;)

Alexis said...

Not to worry. I've checked and the enemy is SURPRISED. So that gives you initiative automatically.

You could assassinate if you were an assassin. C'est la vie.

Alexis said...

This is officially continued on the next post. Do your best to indicate where your character is moving, who he attacks, how you spend your movement points and so on.