Monday, January 16, 2012

Nine-toes in Munster

Wednesday, September 3, 1650
Moon & weather unchanged

Nine-toes and Brother Paul both rush into the warehouse, seeing the second of two thugs climbing up a ladder onto the second floor.  It takes little time for the monks to follow, Brother Paul leading the way. As Nine-toes reaches the second floor, however, the two men separate.  One, on the right, is running the length of the warehouse for a far shuttered window; the other dives out a window on the left.

"Take that one," says Brother Paul, pointing to the left, where there is now only an empty window.  "I'll take the other.  I'll meet you at the Inn of the Four Drums!"

And with that, Brother Paul speeds away.

97 comments:

Alexis said...

(OOC: I hope you can forgive my being distracted today, I have a fever brought on by a gum infection; sounds wonderful, I know. In any case, I am sitting at home)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - Yikes! I hope you are seeking/have sought medical attention!! Feel better soon.)

Hoping his opponent is not waiting for him in ambush, Ninetoes dives into the window and attempts to tumble to his feet to continue the chase.

Alexis said...

(OOC: As above, I'll be intermittent and catching up today)

Being on the second floor, I'm ruling that Nine-toes is smart enough to look before he leaps. He sees that the fleeing man has leapt upon a rather rickety platform seven feet off the ground, and that he's now leaping from there onto the back of a horse, displacing the rider who was calmly trotting down the road.

Nine-toes said...

Is Ninetoes within range to try dive and try to knock him off the horse? Can he see any unattended horses where he is?

Alexis said...

He's a good 20 feet horizontally from the foot of the building; and at the moment he's failed to land in the saddle. As the original rider plows into the dirt (OOC: try to picture Sam Peckinpah here) the fleeing man is holding the saddle pommel with his feet dragging on the ground as the horse keeps moving.

Nine-toes said...

I jump, trying to knock him from the saddle.

Alexis said...

Hm. I must be failing.

He jumped forward from the window onto a platform - then from the platform onto the horse - then the horse dragged him down the street a bit ...

Now if Nine-toes jumps from the window, what is he going to land on?

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes attempts to jump from the window to the platform, and then from the platform to the street.

He will shout to the street below: "Stop, horse thief!"

Alexis said...

Make a dexterity check (d20, roll dexterity or less for success).

Nine-toes said...

11

Alexis said...

No problem. Nine-toes lands lightly on the platform, that holds his weight - rickety, though - and he drops easily to the stones of the street.

As he shouts, and a few turn to see (some have been watching), the pursued loses his grip on the horse, and stumbles, keeps on his feet, and turns towards a gap between two buildings. He's a good forty feet away.

The man whose horse is shouting angrily, but he's behind Nine-toes, and isn't seen.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes continues after the assailant.

Alexis said...

You come to the top of a lane, only six feet wide. You can see him ahead, scrambling to the top of a five foot wall that blocks off the lane. He glances at you from about twenty-five feet way, leaps up and grabs a window sill above him, proceeding to heft himself inside.

Nine-toes said...

Kurt runs to the wall and tries a running jump at the windowsill.

Alexis said...

% die to climb walls.

Nine-toes said...

28

Alexis said...

Success. You power up and jump in through the window.

It's a laundry; the large two-floor open space is filled with steam, even though it is late at night. Lamps flicker on the walls, and the sound of women moving about below, slopping water and slapping wet cloth is quite loud. You're on a wide catwalk around the outside of the open space, apparently for women standing up here to use levers that hoist large baskets filled with clothes out of the stone ponds below. There are several women who stop and stare at you as you come through the window.

Your quarry has leapt from the platform to a rope hanging from the ceiling, and is shimming towards an open trap in the roof, where the steam is allowed to escape. You spy a second rope to a separate ceiling trap, and a ladder some fifteen feet to your right that appears to go to a door in the roof. The ceiling is curved inward and is slick with damp, and would be very difficult to climb.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes will try for the second rope and climb.

Alexis said...

The rope is slick and requires a leap ... there's a negative modifier of 4 to your dexterity check, so you'll have to roll a d20 under your dex -4 (*12).

Good luck.

Nine-toes said...

16

Alexis said...

The result is not as bad as you might think - you hit the rope (that's your dexterity without the modifier), but you fail to get a good grip and as such you slide down the rope until dropping into a stone pond below. You take no damage.

Your quarry above you has just found that he's unable to reach the trapdoor from the top of the rope - it's a good five foot distance, and right now he's shimmeying down a bit to try to swing himself closer to it.

Laundry women are shouting at your very wet self.

Nine-toes said...

I yell, "That man is a horse thief and assailed a woman in the street. Does anyone know another way to the roof?"

Alexis said...

The women move back a step in response to your declaration. One points to the ladder on the wall, the same ladder that you saw before from the catwalk above.

The man is starting to swing now.

Nine-toes said...

I run for the ladder and make my way up with all haste.

Alexis said...

There is at least no need to make any die checks for using the ladder.

You quickly ascend some twenty feet upwards; the door juts out from the wall as part of an overhanging platform (or so you would guess that on the outside it is a flat roof space on the edge of the domed roof).

As your head comes to the bottom of the door, your quarry leaps, misses grabbing with both hands and is stuck hanging from one hand only. He's about 25 feet away across the open space of the laundry, 20 feet out and 15 feet above your head.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes tries the door, keeping an eye on the dangling kidnapper.

Alexis said...

It is so rare that I get to use this (mostly useless) rule. Hah hah!

The door is stuck! Roll a d6.

Nine-toes said...

Um, a 6?

(Don't know if that's good or bad)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Just curious, how far a drop will it be for this guy if he loses his grip? I think we want him alive... maybe one of the laundry ladies has a feather fall spell ready... ;)

Alexis said...

(OOC: got hung up)

Nine-toes, a 6 fails. But it isn't a permanent fail - your strength allows you to try again and again each round.

(roll, roll)

The quarry manages to get his other hand on the edge of the trap, and starts to force his way up; it isn't something he can do in one round ... he's got to get an elbow onto the ledge first.

Nine-toes said...

Next two results:

Six, then
Two

Alexis said...

(GCI: Ahmet, if he had fallen, it would have been about 35 feet. I use the acceleration rule that states a 10' fall causes 1d6 damage; a 20' fall, 3d6 damage; a 30' fall, 6d6 damage - and so on. So in this case he woudl take 6d6 plus half the next 10' step, an additional 2d6.

Sometimes, it is possible to take half the damage from a fall, if there's something like a tree or an awning to break your fall. I usually offer monks a half save in any situation where they are within 5-20' of a wall, depending on their level. Sometimes, if the ground is uneven - say if the quarry fell on the edge of the stone pond - there is additional damage, like falling on a spike trap)

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, the 2 succeeds. This means you force your way through the door just as your quarry's toes disappear up through the roof.

(OOC: I'll have to pick this up when I get home, if you're still game. I don't know how I will feel when I walk in the door - I still have a bit of a fever ... are you having fun?)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC-- take care. I'm game to continue, but I don't want to hold up the rest of the group. Ahmet and Andrej are kind of twiddling their thumbs at this point)

Alexis said...

(OOC: don't worry about them; you're not holding anyone up, Nine-toes ... I am. That's my job. I only meant, are you game tonight?)

You find yourself on a domed roof, standing on a narrow ledge that's three feet wide by the door but quickly narrows to a foot wide that seems to go around the building. The door has been apparently placed here to allow the roof to be fixed if need be. You are about thirty feet off the ground.

You can hear the scrambling of your quarry on the other side of the dome, and you also hear the gentle lowing of cattle. The city is lit, though it is night; you can see the street below you. To the left, behind the buildings along the street, is a large darkened area where you cannot see much. As the first quarter moon rises ahead of the sun, it hasn't come up yet - it is still before midnight.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - crap! Sorry, didn't know you meant playing after work.)

Let's see, 30 ft, 6d6 falling damage by your rules? Average of 21, max of I'm-dead.

How is the surface of the roof, is it slick? Is the incline difficult to navigate?

Alexis said...

So long as nothing unusual happens, you don't even need to roll to cross the roof; if there were a wind, that might be different. Combat would also be a consideration. But merely moving around the ledge, or climbing over the dome ... no problem.

Nine-toes said...

Then I'm headin' after the perp!

Nine-toes said...

I head after the perp, without any trace of the verb, 'to be'.

Alexis said...

(OOC: As I continue to get slapped around on the front blog for my opinions on grammar, let's not get crazy).

I need you to be more specific in what you do.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - sorry, was meant as tongue in cheek. No slaps intended here.)

I move toward the sound of the scrabbling, which at the moment I believe to be my quarry.

Alexis said...

I'll take that as directly, so you move over the top of the dome. You move past the one open trap door, and onto the highest point ... below you, as your eyes adjust, you can see a large stockyard with cattle.

You have just enough time to see your quarry as his feet leave the ledge ... he is making a try at leaping from the roof to a tall flagpole, a fifteen foot jump - the pole is painted white, and is about as high as the outer edge of the roof. The flag is hoisted, and draw-rope fairly thick.

(roll, roll)

He rolls a 2. Miraculously, he slips his arm between the pole and the flag's draw rope, snagging it and swinging around the pole. He looks back at Nine-goes and grins widely. His free hand goes for his belt, towards a dagger.

Nine-toes said...

I'm confused - is he still on the same building as I am, or did he jump to a flagpole on another roof?

Alexis said...

He just jumped to a flagpole 15 feet from the building, ascending up from the ground (adjacent to the stockyard below)

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes gives a menacing look to the dextrous Rogue, says a silent prayer to the Savior, and jumps to the flagpole.

Alexis said...

He was going to throw a dagger at you, but when he sees you leap, he starts to let go.

To make it, you'll have to half-jump, half-slide down to the edge of the roof and then push off. I'll need a % roll against your climb walls (to hit the right point on the ledge) and then a d20.

Nine-toes said...

Percentile roll...

3 (whoo hoo)

D20

9 (?)

Alexis said...

He was -8 on his dexterity to make the leap. You have the benefit of his large body to grab onto (+1 modifier) ... so although you miss the pole (for that you needed an 8 or less), you do grab onto HIM.

Unfortunately, this pulls both of you off the pole, and sends you hurtling towards the ground, together.

A couple of things: 1) you are landing in the cattle stockyard, so the ground is soft; 2) there are cows in the stockyard, who are also soft, but have horns that are not; 3) Nine-toes is a 2nd level monk, which gives him a saving throw vs. falling if he is within 5' of a vertical surface.

(roll, roll)

Results:

1) Nine-toes falls in the ground-up dirt.

2) The quarry lands on a cow's head.

3) The cow attacks the quarry and does damage with its front hooves.

I need Nine-toes to first roll a save vs. falling (d20). Then I need him to make a charisma check (d20) to find out if he pisses off a cow.

Nine-toes said...

Save, 1 (crap)
Piss off cow, 12 (also crap)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - new reality series: When cows attack)

Alexis said...

Nine-toes falls 25 feet = 4d6+1d3 damage. 16 damage total.

He lays there for a round, stunned, and then is attacked by the cow, using its horn. The cow misses with a 7.

Nine-toes can act. The cow does not seem overly aggressive. If he can get to his feet, he can move fairly safely among the cows (there's a 1 in 20 chance per round that a cow will get aggressive, after which Nine-toes would still get a chance at initiative ... with initiative bonus, your chance of being attacked without a chance to run is about 1 in 60).

The quarry is laying on the ground, not getting up, and groaning in great pain.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Don't worry Ninetoes -- if the cow kills you, you will be avenged... I'll bring the steak sauce!)

Nine-toes said...

Um... Ow?

I move to the downed man. Is he bleeding out?

Alexis said...

He's not doing well. But he's not dead, either. As to if he's dying, you can't tell in the darkness how much blood may or may not be flowing out of his body. He was stepped on, not horned.

Nine-toes said...

I attempt to bind his hands with my rope, then drag him out of the stock yard.

Alexis said...

No trouble. The cows leave you alone, and the edge of the yard (and the narrow 5' wide path that goes around the outside fence) is just a few feet away.

What do you intend to do with him? He is still conscious, but too weak to effectively fight you (he does try).

Nine-toes said...

"I do not wish you further harm at this time, my friend, but if you keep struggling I may have to reassess my priorities."

If he remains still, I search him. If not, I give him a non-lethal shot from my fist.

Alexis said...

He takes you at your word.

He's wearing a short cloak without a cowl, a robe tied at his waist, a pair of breech clouts and low hard boots, with a belt around his breeches and a small belt pouch with less than two dozen silver and something like a dozen copper (you'll count them later). The dagger he was going to throw must be lying somewhere abouts - it isn't on him. He has a pair of soft leather guantlets on his hands, a brass clasp holding his cloak together and two bronze chains around his neck. This describes the whole of his present wealth.

Nine-toes said...

"Well, now that we are no longer trying to kill each other, I am Ninetoes, sir, not that you asked. Might I know the name of the man who laughs at death and hops from rooftop to rooftop?"

Alexis said...

(OOC: aha! A conflict. You would like an answer, and he would like not to answer. What do we do, I wonder?

What's this? A persuasion card?)

Nine-toes said...

Very well, persuasion.

Do I need to roll?

Alexis said...

2d6; you have no other modifiers other than what the Persuasion card reads ... which is +1.

You haven't much chance of convincing him, as you're probably not as threatening as his associates.

Nine-toes said...

4 + 6 (+2) =11

Nine-toes said...

Aagh. '+1' not +2.

Still, got an eleven with the plus one. Is his name Nigel Tufnel?

Alexis said...

No worries; a result of 11 or 12 is the same - he accepts your argument (though you didn't make one - the moment to create a persuasion argument, for future reference, would be as you roll the dice).

His name is Jantis Schmidt; no kidding, his real name. He'll confess to taking the girl; to being paid for it in advance; and that he doesn't want any more trouble.

(GCI: Since you've influenced him, he can't in turn force a result from you, so long as this interaction continues ... he might, at a later time, after becoming separated from you. But note that he is merely accepting that he can't really fight you or withhold from you - he isn't friendly, and he won't volunteer information; it has to be asked for)

Alexis said...

(GCI: Not sure that was clear. What I'm saying is that you've effectively won the conflict, right out of the gate - conflicts between two people are usually resolved quickly in game terms ... it might have been several minutes of you persuading him to get him to this point.

Each conflict/interaction is meant to last only until circumstances change - a new person appearing, the two of you separating, his passing out and ending the communication, that sort of thing. In a subsequent conflict with this particular individual, you would have a further +1 modifier, as you did influence him successfully once before)

Nine-toes said...

(Cool)

"Come with me, friend. I will see you are treated fairly so long as you do not try to evade me again.

May I say, though, that my experience may be limited, but you are by far the most daring kidnapper I have ever encountered. It is a wonder you lived to manhood if you regularly take such risks."

With that, I move on to try to meet up with Brother Paul and the others. If I can ask him further questions along the way without the need for another roll, I will, but otherwise I'm not going to push my luck.

Alexis said...

Problem is, he really can't move on his own. His wounds do not need binding, but he will need to be moved carefully by others. (he's at -8 hit points, but he's managed to stay conscious)

Nine-toes said...

That does present a problem, doesn't it.

That being the case, I will rest him against a wall, and run to find Brother Paul, hoping that I can make it back with aid before any associates may find him.

Alexis said...

(GCI: Moreover, he is NOT friendly; this means, if he could move, he would try to get away; failing that, he would simply refuse to go along with you. He will accept being moved, because he's beyond resistance, and he won't attack you. But he won't willingly comply with your commands, either. To him, you're still an enemy. You'd have to take him by force.

But much of this is moot, since he can't move of his own accord anyway. His speech is inconsistent and difficult to hear)

Alexis said...

Very well. Let me ask you again, please, to be precise about the meaning of, "run to find Brother Paul" ... I think I know what you mean, but it isn't my place to assume your character's actions.

Nine-toes said...

I go back to the warehouse where I last saw him. If he isn't there, I will run to the square where I encountered him and Herr Hornung's group near the druid's house.

Alexis said...

You do not find Brother Paul in either place.

Nine-toes said...

Sigh. Then it would appear I have no one to help me carry the perp back. I would have liked a chance for someone with better cards than I to question him.

Ninetoes will seek the town guard to bring the kidnapper to justice. If finding town guardsmen is as difficult as finding any of his friends, he will sit and rest in the square until someone finds him.

Alexis said...

(GCI: I want to warn you that the town guard is not a modern police force; it does not catch 'crooks'; it restores order. Like a bar that is as likely to throw you out as the asshole drunk annoying you, the town guard is as apt to throw you into prison for hurting the man, and bring no charges against him whatsoever. After all, where is the girl he kidnapped? How do we know he kidnapped anyone - maybe you're getting even with an ex-acquaintance. Guards are really not there to sift evidence and punish bad guys. Just FYI)

Nine-toes said...

Double sigh.

Ninetoes does not seek anyone. He goes back to the inn they were staying at.

Alexis said...

That would be "The Black Kettle" ... Nine-toes learns that the baggage there was collected and taken to the house of a German lord, along with Emmanuel and the guardsmen.

Nine-toes said...

He'll head to the house of the German lord, hoping it's not too late to come calling.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Not that I want to railroad...but did you miss the instruction of your former master regarding where to meet him?)

Nine-toes said...

I went through comments from two threads. Didn't see that part. Hard to pinpoint things when the threads become lengthy.

Alexis said...

It's in the original post.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I've been dying to tell you, but that wouldn't be sporting. I thought the other monk had done a pretty good job drumming the name into your head.)

Nine-toes said...

I go to the Inn of the 4 drums looking for Brother Paul.

Alexis said...

The Inn is a tall, narrow building with no stable and no drinking house. The front entrance is low, only five feet high, and two and a half feet wide, and leads to a room barely eight feet by five feet. There's a stool upon which sits a middle-aged man, with a blonde handlebar mustache, smoking a pipe. A very narrow, very steep stairway goes up behind him.

"Yeh?" he asks as Nine-toes enters.

Nine-toes said...

"Um... I'm looking for Brother Paul. He told me to meet him here."

Alexis said...

The man's face will turn white. "You know him?" Then he'll say insistently - "Come with me."

Presuming you wouldn't say not, the man leads you to the top of the stair, and then into the nearest of four rooms on that floor. There is no ceiling in the hall, only ladders leading up to a higher loft below the ceiling on either side.

In the room, Brother Paul lays gasping. You see no signs of a wound or of blood, but his face has a distinct bluish hue.

Nine-toes said...

Never has he hated himself so much for being slow-witted.

"Brother Paul! Are you injured?"

Alexis said...

Brother Paul sees you, and smiles weakly. "Kurt ... I can see it in your face. Do not fear. The apothecary has gone to bring medicine - he says that I will live. I can feel the poison in me and I am fighting it off."

Nine-toes said...

"Be that as it may, one of my companions is a holy man with the power to heal and he might be able to aid you. Say the word and I will run to fetch him, whatever the present hour may be.

Alexis said...

"I haven't been damaged," says Brother Paul; "At least not so much that I can't manage.

"I chased the man into an alley behind a mongery, and was surprised to find myself facing three crossbowmen. These fired at me and two missed; the third bolt I knocked aside, and the men ran. But as I took two steps, a dart thrown by an assassin struck me in the back. The dart was poisoned ... and it is that poison that has me now.

"I would be dead from the assassin's knife, but the monger and his helper came through the back door and frightened the assassin away. I did not catch a glimpse, but I am certain the assassin was a woman."

Nine-toes said...

"Brother, if you do not object, let me summon Andrej immediately."

Alexis said...

"If he is not able to neutralize poison, it will do no good. And listen to your master boy - I will not die. I was, but am not now in any danger."

You can hear the apothecary entering below and climbing the stairs as he speaks.

"Alas, I will be yet be here two or three weeks," sighs Brother Paul. "And that is bad. But the proprietor here can keep me safe - I am worried now about the girl and your friends. Do you think they will have taken her with them?"

Nine-toes said...

"I was told all went to the house of Herr Hornung, a powerful man if I understood correctly. Elder Brother (that is what I call Andrej) showed much deference to him, more than I've seen him show any other man we've met."

"Did the monger or his wife see the assassin who struck you down? I would give much for a chance to exact revenge for her cowardly attack. Perhaps it is best if I cannot find her, for she sounds more skillful than the man you bade me pursue."

Kurt blinks.

"Which reminds me, I left him lying in an alley near death. I would question him, but I have no skill at interrogations, and I could not bring him with me. Brother, if you are certain you are safe here, let me seek my friends to see if the man may be found. He is our only lead to the assaillants that I know of thus far."

Alexis said...

"Act as you will, Kurt," says Brother Paul. "But do return to your friends, and keep them safe. And ... take Khamsin with you."

Nine-toes, you will recognize the last name very well. Khamsin is Brother Paul's staff, which is now leaning in the corner of the very room you're in. You learned how to use a quarterstaff while Brother Paul manipulated Khamsin. You have been struck more than a thousand times by that staff. You know quite well the store your master sets in it, and you know quite well that it is magic.

"Remember that it is double the power against your enemies," says Brother Paul. "It is well that you should take it - it will keep you safe. I have, ah hm, other defenses for the moment."

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes is speechless for a moment.

"I... I will wield this for a time, Brother, but you must allow me to return it to you when you are well enough to bear it yourself again. I will visit you soon, should fate permit. Thank you... I will strive to be worthy of the trust you place in my. The girl, the one you sought to protect, I will do all in my power to keep her, and Khamsin, safe."

He kisses Brother Paul's forhead and leaves for Herr Hornung's house.

Andrej said...

(OOC: sweet. :) )

Alexis said...

We will consider Nine-toes now part of the Andrej in Munster thread ... which I will be replacing soon.