Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Apple Quarter

Thursday, September 4, 1650, Night

With pleasant temperatures and clear conditions, with a moderate breeze.

The night has cleared, and as a force of some forty men gather in the gloom, they are instructed to keep quiet and to keep from putting up any lights.  Eberhardt gives orders for two groups of twelve to move out and encicle the Quarter, catching anyone they can, and to do as little as possible to tear anything apart or seize goods - as anything they find could be important.  They are to barge in, place anyone they find under arrest, keep them under control and await further orders.

If this all seems Draconian, Eberhardt does not seem to be aware of it.  He will add, "Let us be thorough, and treat the people with respect!  Do not hurt them, they are yet citizens - strike them with clubs quickly across the backs of their skulls, but there's no need to hit them repeatedly.  A child can be put easily down with the back of your hand, and then kicked if need be.  If anyone appears to resist or tries to run away, or stop you from carrying out these orders, then you might have to kill them ... is that understood?"

Assent goes up, but not too loudly.  The men split into three groups, Eberhardt waits for the two groups on either side to get into position, and then starts his own group of sixteen men towards the Quarter.  The party can throw in wherever they think appropriate (give your position prior to Eberhardt marching forward).

207 comments:

1 – 200 of 207   Newer›   Newest»
Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes whispers to Andrej:

"I pray this is over quickly. I do not like subduing so many innocents to find two who may be guilty."

Andrej said...

"Aye Ninetoes, I do not savor the work but I do not have an alternative. Eberhardt is the closest thing we have to official sanction and I would not refute him at this point."

To both of his friends, "Let us each take up with one of the three groups, then, and ensure Hornung's instructions are followed?" Andrej selects one of the two groups departing and not Hornung's.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes selects a different group than Andrej.

Nine-toes said...

Make that, I select the other group not including Hornung or Andrej.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Andrej chooses a group that isn't Hornung's, Ninetoes choose a group that isn't Andrej's or Hornung's... this reminds me of the paper-rock-scissors tournament! That leaves Hornung and his group of 16 for me.)

Ahmet nods grimly at Hornung's instructions and moves in at the head of Hornung's large group.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - in all honesty, I'm afraid of offending him somehow. He's a powerful man with a quick temper from what Ninetoes has heard.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Yeah, but he's all squishy and cuddly when he's not razing Protestant villages or banishing demons back to the abyss).

Alexis said...

I'll argue that Nine-toes went left, and Andrej went right.

Overall, the guards are not as brutal as Eberhardt's speech might indicate. The denizens of the Quarter scatter almost as soon as the guards move in - it was quite clear they were forewarned somehow.

Give me any action you might want to try before I go forward; you all face some shacks, spaces between the buildings, women and children rushing past and around you. The guards stop anyone who appear to be carrying anything, but if the people fleeing are empty handed, they're let go.

Andrej sees a figure in fairly good, well-tailored clothing go shooting off from a corner house towards a patch of high grass in the direction of the town wall. He doesn't get a look at the face.

Ahmet, you find yourself with two guards, facing a rather decrepit old man, his one leg swathed in bandages, holding a knife to defend the few things he has in a shelter with only three walls. One of the guards makes to lift his mace, and threatens with it.

Nine-toes, two men flee to the left or right of you, both dressed in dark cloaks, barefooted, each carrying matching dirks - they head off in directions 45 degrees apart, one towards a copse of trees, the other towards a low, dark area between the hill and the wall (a far different part of the wall than the man Andrej sees).

Remember that this whole space is a half-mile between the town and the wall, and a good mile long around the wall's circumferance. It is grown all about with patches of orchard, trees, grass, a good sized water pond near the bottom of the gully and paths throughout. It is a good large space, and lots of places to hide.

Andrej said...

Was the well dressed figure dressed as a man or a woman?

Nine-toes said...

I shout to a guardsment to take the one on the left as I sprint after the one on the right.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet raises a hand to stay the guardsman (or so he hopes).

"Tell me, old man, what do you have in here that is worth your life?"

Alexis said...

Andrej,

Appears to run like a man.

Nine-toes,

You can't see if the guard took you up on it. The barefooted man makes for the nearest trees, a group of young plum saplings, their red leaves appearing black in the darkness. Nine-toes outdistances the man easily - but you'll have to tell me what you do as you come up upon him.

Alexis said...

The old man looks at Ahmet without blinking an eye - "My life," says he. "My life is worth anything you can do to take it from me."

His body is concealing a small table, and on the table, a box that's about eight inches by four, and four inches deep. The old man grabs it, and holds it to his chest.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Does he speak with a French accent?)

Nine-toes said...

Nonlethal, fist to the head, maybe a nice stun if I'm lucky.

Andrej said...

Andrej ignores the well dressed man, assuming that in platemail and already behind he has little hope of catchign up. Also, I'm hoping for a couple or, if alone, someone appearing more like a strumpet.

Alexis said...

Ahmet,

The old man is German.

Nine-toes,

d20 to hit.

Andrej,

You turn back to find the soldiers separating the people who have stayed behind from their homes; they are being quite tough about it, but they haven't seriously hurt anyone yet. There are several places you can have a glance in: a small shack, a lean-to, a larger shack, a shack with a single solid brick wall, a shack with a broken open door, a separated shack with a pumpkin patch growing next to it and a rickety shack that has collapsed.

Andrej said...

Do any of these aforementioned shacks appear to be about where Freida and her friends indicated the couple went?

Ahmet said...

"This isn't the one I'm looking for," Ahmet says, leaving the man to the two guards.

He turns away and searches elsewhere for a Frenchman and/or a prostitute.

Nine-toes said...

Um...

7

Alexis said...

Andrej,

These are all at the bottom of the Quarter, so they would match where the couple was supposed to have gone.

Nine-toes,

You miss. The man runs ahead of you between the trees, and you turn, adjust, and (I assume) run after him.

Ahmet,

You search several shacks, and Eberhardt does to, but you turn up nothing of interest.

Andrej said...

Andrej will systematically approach and regard each of the shacks and lean-tos described above immediately after he casts detect malevolence. He will not enter at this time.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet seeks out his companions.

Nine-toes said...

I run and punch at his head again, non lethal.

Andrej said...

Andrej casts detect malevolence.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Sorry, fellas. This has been one hell of a rough week for work for me. I'm trying to dig in and get on top of things on my end.

Andrej, I answered your conflict question. I'll keep things going here as best I can)

Alexis said...

I had gotten that Andrej cast detect malevolence. It takes about a minute for him to cast the spell, discharge it, and turn in a first slow circle. There is malevolence going on in just about every direction you look. More particularly, from the guards towards the people, who seem mostly concerned with running away or begging.

It is difficult to descern what comes from within the shacks and what might be occurring behind them.

Ahmet, you see your friend Andrej going through the motions that you've come to recognize as detecting malevolence. You see him centering on a particular shelter, and moving carefully towards it, as though unsure of what he's detecting.

On your side of the shelter, you Ahmet see the glint of steel from the multiple torchlights, as a dagger is turned in a hand. From Andrej's position, he wouldn't see the figure in the blackness - you can only barely make out such a figure, and you're not sure it isn't your imagination. But then the knife clearly glints again.

Alexis said...

Nine-toes,

Before you can swing, you will have to beat initiative with me; the man has taken a stance to fight between the trees. Roll a d6.

Nine-toes said...

2

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, your opponent rolls a 4 and attacks first. He tries to swing with his dirk, but misses.

Take note that you are fighting amid a tight group of trees; there is a 1 in 20 chance (I'll let you know) of striking a tree with your open hand (not fist!) instead of your opponent, causing yourself damage equal to your attack.

Be also advised that you're both -2 to hit due to darkness.

Alexis said...

Franz,

The cleric appears to have given up on you. You find yourself now standing about forty yards from the mayhem, considering just getting away, though the old man, Hubert, who was your friend is still there amid the chaos (you and he were playing chess).

At that point you recognize one of the guards - he's a fellow who you and he once were together employed on a fishing boat in Worms, upon the Rhine River. That was about ten months ago.

Alexis said...

Sorry, I should have added the guard's name was Othar.

Nine-toes said...

D20 roll: 16

(if applicable)

dmg: 2
Stun rds: 2

Alexis said...

Nine-toes,

Don't list the stun rounds; doesn't apply most of the time, and I'll roll it when it happens.

Your 16 is -2 for the dark, and a 14 is exactly what you needed to hit - which, unfortunately, means you hit a tree. You take 2 hit points of damage yourself (not stunning).

Your opponent rolls to hit, misses, and backs up through the trees.

Nine-toes said...

D20: 13

Alexis said...

That misses for Nine-toes. The other attacks, rolls a 16-2, which for him exactly hits Nine-toes ... so he, too, strikes a tree, and not the monk.

He doesn't seem to have hurt himself much. He maneuvers in the dark, clearly moving away from the lights.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet, pick ax in his hands, rushes toward (what he thinks is) the figure in the shadows with the glinting blade. "You there! Drop your weapon!"

Alexis said...

The man breaks from cover. He quickly turns the blade in his hands. Ahmet has a chance to drop behind cover, or keep moving forward; if moving forward, state that you sacrifice your initiative; if you wish to dive for cover, roll a d6 to see if you have initiative.

Andrej, you can see nothing - but you sense an intensity increase in malevolence; you still cannot tell if it is from inside the shelter (the one with pumpkins) or behind it.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet sacrifices his initiative and charges right at the fellow.

Alexis said...

The dagger thrown by the other clangs off Ahmet's armor. Swiftly the hurler pulls another one, and takes several steps forward to meet Ahmet face-to-face.

Now Ahmet will have to roll initiative with me.

Franz said...

[OOC:

Um...I was the 'well dressed man' running from Andrej and the guards? Why would I have abandoned my friend? Am I in the Apple Quarter illegally? Is carrying a sword a criminal offense? Is there a reason I wouldn't have stood and demanded an explanation...or at least attempted to help Hubert escape?

Is Hubert the old man that was being threatened by the big Turk? Did I have no chance to circle around and try taking him out?]

Assuming I have done nothing to warrant a beating, I wave my (scabbarded) weapon at the guard I know.

"Ho, Othar! It is Franz...do you not recall? What is the meaning of this uproar? Are you in need of assistance?"

Andrej said...

Did Andrej hear Ahmet as he called out and did he recognize the voice as his friend's?

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes withdraws. If his opponent does not pursue him, he will return to the Apple Quarter. I don't think this is one of the droids I'm looking for, and I'm not going further into the dark.

Alexis said...

(OOC: There is one reason, and one reason only, that Franz did anything to find himself in this exact place at this exact time. The Dungeon Master needs to plausibly insert Franz into the game.

Until the moment I put you in the game, you are an NPC. Thus, everything you do prior is ultimately handwaved. In other words, who cares? I have no malevolent intention against your character; you have a clean slate; no one is after you; no one is trying to kill you; you're not going to be held responsible for actions you took prior.

A reason? You stepped out to take a piss. Thus you were caught separated. You ran because you're not a stupid idiot - you know that guards, most of the time, have NO GOOD REASON for doing most of the shit they do. For all you know, they're rousting gypsies, and you have no intention of being misunderstood. The guards, as you would well know, won't ask nice questions - they'll beat you, rob you, drop you in a prison and may never let you out. So yeah, you ran. Its the only smart thing to do.

Hubert is your chess partner, and Ahmet stopped the guards from threatening him - but you couldn't possibly know that.

Incidentally, don't think that something being legal or illegal exempts you from being killed by the guards. It may not be illegal to carry a sword. I wouldn't count on the guards caring about that. Rule One: everyone, everywhere, ALWAYS deserves a beating if the people in power think so.

In this case, however, you trust Othar)

Othar turns, looks ... and shouts across the wide distance between you. "FRANZ? What the hell are you doing here? Slumming again?" He'll say something another guard and then wave you towards him. It's reasonable ... he can't very well leave the chaos and go towards you.

Alexis said...

Andrej,

Yes, you did hear. And you recognize the wheezing your friend Ahmet always starts when he's about to drop his pick into someone's head.

Andrej said...

Andrej must then logically assume that the malevolence originates from behind the shack and may even be emanating from his friend Ahmet.

Andrej circles around the shack, maces drawn.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet rolls D6 for initiative.

3

(Using Excel's RANDBETWEEN function... sweet!)

Alexis said...

Ahmet, your opponent rolls a 7 for initiate (with bonuses), then rolls an 18 to hit you. This does indeed. Your opponent's dagger does 6 damage, which isn't enough to stun you. The man then takes a moment to draw a sabre, and ends his turn with two weapons in his hand. You are free to attack.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Ouch!)

Ahmet takes a swing with his beloved pick ax.

To hit: 16

Damage: 8

Nine-toes said...

17 to hit
2 dmg

Alexis said...

Ahmet,

Your pick hits something hard and resistant under the fellow's cloak, and an uncomfortable resonance flows up your arm. He, on the other hand, seems utterly unfazed by your attack.

He misses with the sabre, but strikes again with the dagger, this time slicing a thin line along your forearm (not a bleeding wound). The slash causes 5 damage - and this is just short of what it would take to stun you, so it does not.

Andrej,

You hear a roar of pain from Ahmet just as you come around the edge of the shelter. A sabre-wielding fellow is stepping backwards into a vegetable patch, harvested but covered with dead fronds and leaves. Ahmet remains between you and the fellow, and you will have to circle around away from the shelter to get an attack next round. For the present, that is all you can do directly.

Franz said...

(ooc: good enough)

I jog towards Othar, cognizant that it is better to keep to the eye of the storm than on the edge of chaos.

"Actually, no...just passing time while I consider an angle or two. But I can lend a hand if there's coin to be had."

Do I recognize the livery of Othar's current employer? And if so, how much do I know oh the good paladin from my time in Munster?

Alexis said...

Who are you attacking, Nine-toes? You withdrew; the other fellow has disappeared into the darkness.

I have you just now moving into the upper part of the Quarter. The guards around you have the citizens pushed together and sitting on the grass, while men are pulling apart the shelter insides.

Alexis said...

Othar, Franz can see, is in the livery of The Guard of Munster. "You," he laughs. "Always looking for a coin!"

You know almost nothing of Eberhardt Hornung - he's not a resident of Munster, but is only here to have his wedding. You know of the wedding that is to happen; it is to be some big affair, in the cathedral, and it is nobility being married. But that is the whole of your knowledge.

Andrej said...

Could Andrej step forward and heal his friend this round instead of attacking?

Does Andrej recognize Ahmet's opponent?

Ahmet said...

Ahmet roars and swings again.

To hit: 11

Damage: 7

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - Goodness! I though I was a goner. I mistook Ahmet's post as refering to me.)

I examine the citizens, looking for anyone matching Andrej's description of the tart and the gentleman.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - Sorry, I worded the above incorrectly. I meant to say: I took the hit that Ahmet took as refering to me. If my brain is in this state at 41, I shudder to imagine the vegetable I'll be if I hit 60. In my defense I'll say that the bulk of my cerebral cortex is currently occupied with safety ratings of cribs and day care rates.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: If it makes you feel any better, I understood your meaning perfectly Nine-toes.)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: My youngest is about to turn 14 months old. The fun part is you always find new things to worry about!)

Franz said...

"Why not? Nothing is sure in this life but death. Better to live well while life is with you."

Do I KEN there is something unusual at work?

"So? Now I've been roused from my game. Is there a way I can help speed your cause...and then you can stand me a drink for my trouble?"

Alexis said...

Andrej, you can heal him ... but of course, a round of casting the spell first.

Ahmet's attempt will miss.

Nine-toes, you do not see those people. (OOC: I can only speak for the brain of someone at 47, NT)

Alexis said...

"The assassin has a base 60% chance, +3% per level above first, of determining correctly any single requested piece of information about another individual from the list provided above..."

You cannot discern an event using 'Ken;' and you must specify if it is the individual's disposition, tendencies, intellect, nature, materialism, honesty, bravery, energy, piety, sanity, occupation and so on that you are looking for.

But generally, whatever your understanding of the participants, the guards seem bent specifically upon finding something.

Around that point you will note that some rather talented individuals seem to be fighting among themselves about thirty yards to your left - and the cleric that earlier pursued you seems to be involved.

Alexis said...

The combatant is grinning at you as he misses you with both sword and dagger. "You're too late, you know!" he'll exclaim as he gives ground.

Alexis said...

Sorry, that should read, he is grinning at AHMET ... and not Nine-toes or anyone else.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Does he have a French accent?)

Ahmet laughs. "Too late? Nay, infidel... Hell will remain open for you!"

Ahmet swings again.

To hit: 15

Damage: 7

Andrej said...

Andrej casted his aid spell at the first opportunity, but I'm losing track of the rounds so let me know when I may discharge and apply to Ahmet.

Also, I don't believe you answered my question, does Andrej recognize Ahmet's opponent?

Franz said...

(ooc: not sure what my movement rate is)

"Excuse me, Othar...I smell an opportunity."

I sprint towards the melee to my left, drawing my saber with my right hand, carrying my scabbard in the left.

Alexis said...

It has been one round, Andrej, since you asked if you could cast a spell to help Ahmet. Ahmet swung; the duellist attacked and missed; and now Ahmet has swung again, and missed again.

If Andrej cast when Ahmet first attacked (and I'll rule that you did, because I did not wait for a response before plowing forward), then you can discharge the spell upon Ahmet right now. Roll dice to determine the spell's effect, and I'll wait before I have the other attack again.

Franz, do you intend to help the large Turk, or the outnumbered fellow with the two swords?

Alexis said...

(OOC: you can compute your movement rate here: it is given in 5' hexes per round). At 30 yards, that puts you 18 hexes away.

You might also want to look at this table here; it breaks your movement rate in hexes down to how much action you can take in a 12-second round, which is standard for my world - questions?)

Franz said...

(ooc: as usual, many. However, I'll confine it to this: wearing leather armor, it appears it will take me three rounds to cover the distance, with a double charge the 2nd round of movement; is this correct?)

My intention is to initiate imech combat, specifically to persuade the outnumbered fellow that the situation is hopeless and he should surrender. But this will depend on the situation once I arrive 'on the scene.'

Andrej said...

Andrej discharges his spell upon Ahmet.

ahmet you gain 8 hit points. Any that go above your maximum will disperse in 8 rounds if they don't get consumed sooner.

Also, you have a +1 to hit for 8 rounds.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I was down 11 HP (to 16), so now I'm only down 3 (to 24). Woohoo!)

Alexis said...

(OOC: must make your first round at normal movement rate - in leather, 4 hexes; second round, double movement rate - 8 hexes. Third round, slowing down to one and a half rate, 6 hexes ... so right, 3 rounds to cover the distance.

I wanted you to note that the double speed is a maximum, and that you can cruise along at 6 hexes per round if you want.

You can then stop at the end of the third round and attack in the 4th.

Note, however, that you can keep going at double speed, and charge, with +2 to hit and a -1 AC. If you charge, since your weapons are equal length, you have to win initiative)

Alexis said...

Your opponent misses again, Ahmet. Take your action. Andrej, you are now in a position where you can move and attack with one of your maces, if that's what you wish.

Franz, you are two rounds away. Behind your back, you hear Othar crying, "DO WHat the cleric s..." and the rest is drowned out in the noise.

Nine-toes, the area is quieting. I checked your hear noise, and you can hear fighting going on at the other end of the Quarter.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes runs in the direction of the noise with all haste.

Andrej said...

Andre steps up and swings one mace:

to hit/ dmg: 11/7

(OOC: figures I'd max out the damage on a likely miss)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet swings again, with the help of Andrej's spell!

To hit: 17

Damage (no bonus from Aid, right?): 8

Alexis said...

Ahmet, that does hit.

Your opponent drops on his back on the ground, drops both his weapons, and LAUGHS.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet will try to kick the weapons out of the man's reach, if possible. "What's so funny, fool?"

Alexis said...

"YOU'RE TOO LATE!" he shouts. "They've gone! They left this morning!"

Franz said...

(ooc: @ Alexis:

Now, if I was charging the back of the Turk, for example, would I be allowed to make such a move and backstab and/or assassinate?)

It would appear I am now 6 yards away at the end of the most recent round, am I close enough to hear the coversation exchanged between the foes?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Does he have a French accent?)

Ahmet will stand there and glower, pick ax poised to strike again, and leave the questioning of this man to Andrej.

Andrej said...

Andrej commands this fellow charging up on Ahmet's back, "Stop where you are!"

Alexis said...

Franz,

No, probably not. You'd have to surprise him first; if there is no surprise, there is no assassinate. You're moving with your stuff, so you're making a bit of noise ... and with so much combat and danger around, nobody here is going to be "surprised" ... which would could be defined as "a relaxed state of unreadiness." Everyone right now is very ready.

Reality is, you're probably never going to get to surprise someone in a combat ... there's a chance you might creep around behind a melee and surprise a commander who is not in the fight, or someone looting when they should be paying attention - but otherwise, ain't gonna happen.

If I had half an hour at any time today, I'd have written this post I have planned on assassins ... but alas, no time.

At any rate, yes, Andrej does see you coming.

Alexis said...

Ahmet, no. No French accent. You glower, and he goes on chuckling.

"You have one chance," he says. "Let me go and flee for your lives."

It is legitimately intended to persuade you, but he fails his conflict rolls.

Andrej said...

Andrej casts detect magic.

Franz said...

[ooc: good to know, thanks!]

Seeing the quarry has been downed, Franz slows his approach while sheathing his sabre (he keeps the scabbarded weapon in hand, however).

He does not stop moving, though.

To the priest, he says:

"Indeed? Are you sure I can't be of some assistance? The guardsman directed me to your aid."


[ooc (again, sorry): are we supposed to be posting in the 3rd person?]

Alexis said...

As Andrej does not answer Franz (he's casting), the man on the ground skitters back very fast, attempting to get to his feet and run.

Ahmet has one chance to do something.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet will pound him.

(OOC: Do I get a bonus for attacking a prone opponent at my feet?)

Alexis said...

Third person/first person, whatever works.

Andrej said...

(OOC: JB I go back and forth with it myself.)

Alexis said...

Ahmet, he's not quite prone; just on his bottom. But yes, take a +2 modifier to hit.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'll just use my current bonuses -- +1 for using a pick ax, +1 for Strength, +1 for Aid -- and if there's another bonus, just tack it on)

To hit: 14

Damage: 8

Andrej said...

(OOC: Sorry to say folks I'll be leaving in 15 minutes. Early day at work due to familial commitments.)

Alexis said...

That doesn't hit. He'll get to his feet and start running.

(OOC: At this point, I have to call it for the day. Pick it up as best we can tomorrow)

Franz said...

Since the priest isn't answering and the quarry is running, I draw a dagger with my free hand (the scabbarded sabre is in my left) and hurl it at the miscreant's back.

Franz said...

(ooc: ugh, stupid. Didn't see that EVERYone's bagging it for the day! Sorry!)

Alexis said...

No need for apologies. We fit everything in as we can. We'll pick it up in the morning from Franz throwing the dagger - policy is for you to roll a d20, then automatically roll the damage EVEN if you miss. Saves time.

Franz said...

(Right on. Will be sure to bring a 20-sider with me tomorrow. I presume D4 damage for daggers?)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet charges -- or at least stomps -- after the fleeing man.

(OOC: I only have 3 MPs, but he must have been wearing some serious armor under that cloak. Hopefully he can't go much faster than I can!)

Ahmet calls out as he runs, "Guards! Stop that man! He's the one we're after!"

Franz said...

(ooc: Are we waiting for a new post, or picking it up on this one?)

Andrej said...

(OOC: We'll generally pick it up until there is a natural transition or stopping point where a new post seems warranted. Though, this one has 100+ comments, so we may close it and start another after all. Of course, that's all up to our intrepid DM.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: We've gone as high as 300, but it gets clumsy once it starts dividing the comments into two windows.

Yes Franz, a dagger is d4 damage)

Alexis said...

Ahmet, you are stunned to find that yes, the man seems capable of outdistancing you.

We await Franz throwing a dagger.

Nine-toes, you come to a point where you can see your friends about 40 yards away. You're already moving at double-speed, so you should be right with them in two rounds.

Nine-toes said...

Hrmmm. Did I see the man who fled them?

Ahmet said...

Ahmet continues stomping along, still bellowing, "Stop that man! Grab him!"

He'll pull a dagger from his belt as he runs.

(OOC: Can't let the new guy have all the fun!)

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, you come into view just as a man breaks away from them, and as Ahmet goes lumbering off after him.

Nine-toes said...

I'll try to catch up as best I'm able.

(OOC - Welcome Franz. If you're playing at work, there's a random number generator with all versions of MS Excel (RAND) that can simulate die rolls for you. Cut's down on rolling dice at your desk.)

Franz said...

[ooc: thanks for waiting folks...sorry about that!]

Franz throws his dagger at the miscreant's back.

Roll: 20 (+2 Dex +4 Backstab) = 26
Roll: 4 (+1 Str +1 thrown weapon bonus) = 6, doubled is 12

[ooc: wow! New dice!]

Franz said...

[ooc: @ 9Toes:

Yeah, I'm aware (of randbetween), but just picked up a set of turquoise beauties last night. Thanks!]

Alexis said...

(OOC: Stop apologizing)

(GCI: Franz, you do not get a backstab bonus just because you happen to be behind a person. First, you must again achieve surprise, and secondly, you have to actually be stabbing with the weapon, not throwing it.

I think yesterday I told you that you can add your strength bonus to missile damage. I must have been on crack at the time. My mistake.

If you roll a natural 20, you must roll the d20 again. Another natural 20 would indicate triple damage - and a 3rd natural 20 would be quadruple damage, and so on. As well, if the enemy is not wearing a helmet, a natural 20 followed by a natural 19 is also triple damage - but there are no more rolls after that)

So, a natural 20, causing at least 10 damage. Please roll the d20 again.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'm guessing that you haven't read the House Rules post, Franz. Might want to give it a glance.

The stuff to dig up on the assassin that I mentioned in an email to you is apparently only in my head. I hope to get to the post I want to write today about it)

Franz said...

(ooc: so a natural 20 doubles damage? I was doubling for a backstabbing.

Would I still receive a +2 for a rear attack?)

Roll: 3 (no triple)

10 damage

Alexis said...

I only give the +2 bonus for a rear attack when there's a legitimate reason to think that attacking from the rear is unusual - in this case, hitting a moving body from behind is just as hard as hitting a moving body from any other angle - he's not running straight away from you.

In this case, however, the dagger strikes him in the space between his shoulder blade and his shoulder ... he crashes into the ground. Ahmet quickly catches up, dagger ready, standing right over the man (who is quite clearly stunned for a round).

Franz said...

I nod to the priest and then saunter towards the downed man, hand on the hilt of my (scabbarded) sabre. No need to draw if he's dead, and I may need a free hand to retrieve my knife!

Nine-toes said...

Throughout this I'm trying to catch up as fast as possible.

Alexis said...

I should mention; Andrej, you've completed casting detect magic for a couple of rounds now; you can see clearly that the enemy's torso and upper body is surrounded by magic.

Awaiting Ahmet's action.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet puts his knee on the man's chest and his dagger against the man's throat.

"Speak quickly, or die. Who left, and where did they go?"

Alexis said...

Ahmet,

You're attempting to grapple your opponent; I'd like to point out that although he is 'stunned,' you still have to roll to hit - I need a d20 rolled; you're +2 to hit overall for weight and strength, and assuming you hit, you do a d4 for damage (+3 for your strength).

Alexis said...

Oops, sorry, slight error - the man does have a dagger in his hand, so you're also modified at -2 to hit.

Andrej said...

Andrej just follows along at this point, nods approval to the newcomer and backs his comrade Ahmet's play by standing nearby and ready to act.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Am I also +1 to hit for my Strength, or did the +2 for "weight and strength" also include my normal +1 for Strength to hit? And I am I still getting a +1 bonus for the Aid spell?)

In any event, I rolled a 14... so that's either a 16 or a 15 or a 14 depending on whether I should get a +1 bonus for Strength and a +1 bonus for Aid.)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Oh, unless the -2 modifier for his dagger was already taking into account the +2 you'd already given me, in which case it was a 12. I'm so confused! Maybe I should just smash him in the face with my pick ax again?)

Alexis said...

I did include your weight and strength in your modifier to hit ... and the -2 then removed both; and I had forgotten about the Aid ... so overall you were +1.

Incidentally, and only because I'm an anal bastard who cuts his tomatoes in exactly 47 equal parts when making salad, questions about your strength and your success are not "OOC," since they are technical IN campaign. Ask questions about the campaign without the OOC, please. Just cuts down on the general detritus.

Sigh. Just ignore me.

So you hit with a 15. Can I have a d4+3 for damage?

Alexis said...

(GCI: Oh, Franz, I keep forgetting; I looked in the Player's Handbook, and couldn't find any special ability for an assassin to set traps - it looked to me like it was treated like any other thieving ability. If someone wants to correct my blindness on that issue, I'd appreciate it)

Franz said...

As I see the Turk struggling with the downed figure, I draw my sabre as my approach brings me within a couple yards. However, rather than simply engaging, I circle the prone combatants so that I am opposite the plate mailed priest.

Franz said...

(@ Alexis:

I pulled the 'set traps' thing from your own document on assassins that you emailed me.
; )

However, it appears YOU took the whole notion from the DMG, where the rules are the exact same (2 levels above thief level) if I'm not mistaken. I don't have my book with me so I can't give you the page number...around 26 or 27, I think.)

Alexis said...

Thank you Franz. I knew it was from somewhere, but it had been SO long, I couldn't remember where. Please take it as canon.

Ahmet's minimum damage is going to be 4, which is going to definitely restrain the fellow on the ground. He could break free from the hold, but that would be a guaranteed impossibility if a second person were to step on one arm, say, or sit on his legs.

Othar is going to step up behind, grab Franz's shoulder and exclaim, "What are you doing? These are the people organizing this! I told you to do what the cleric says!"

Nine-toes will be right next to him, now within a few feet of Ahmet and the downed man.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes sits on the man's legs, just to be sure the shiny shiny armor he's wearing doesn't get up and run away with him.

Alexis said...

(OOC: finally wrote that 'assassin' post)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Sorry, in all my worrying about to hit modifiers I forgot about rolling for damage!)

D4+3: 5

Presumably Ahmet is now holding the man, so forget the dagger to the throat bit, yes? Maybe it's easier if Alexis can just reset the scene here?

Andrej said...

Andrej raises a hand to Othar, "He is fine. His dagger strike helped down that man."

Andrej awaits the results of Ahmet's questioning.

(OOC: I'll be unavailable for the next hour or so, back on around 2 or 2:30.)

Alexis said...

You don't see any shiny armor, Nine-toes. His cloak now riding up to his hips, he appears to be wearing studded leather.

Alexis said...

No worries, Ahmet. The man is held tight under you and Nine-toes.

We'll assume then, that your question "Who" was asked, and he'll gurgle with glee, smirking at you and then looking at Andrej:

"HE knows," says the man.

You hear Eberhardt shouting at you from up the slope above the gully, asking what you've got there. He's too far away to answer, but he's unhurridly striding towards you.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Oh, sure, defer to the guy who isn't going to be here for a couple hours!) :)

Ahmet squeezes harder. "Where did they go?"

Alexis said...

I'm sure we can infer what Andrej knows.

If you want to get something out of him, you're going to have to specify your conflict resolution. I believe that would be "persuade," and I believe you get a +1 bonus on 2d6.

Franz, I'm publishing your cards in a new post as we speak.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Ah, nice! My first use of Conflict!)

Ahmet attempts to Persuade this fellow. 2D6+1: 9

Franz said...

I glare at Othar from under the brim of my hat. "So I gathered...or did my knife find the wrong villain?"

I nod to the diminutive priest, shrug off the guard's arm, and kneel by the captive...I would like to use my persuade to influence him to give us the information. By my appearance (beauty), it's obvious that I'm not someone with whom to be trifled.

Alexis said...

It would be difficult for Franz to use his own judgement in this, as he doesn't know what information is to be obtained - he can repeat Ahmet's words, but he can't make reproduce the passion behind them ... so it isn't rational for Franz to jump in at this time - sorry. It is just a matter of getting meshed step-by-step into the milieu.

Alexis said...

Othar backs up at Franz's anger - "I only meant to keep you from ... making enemies."

Franz said...

(OOC: fair enough)

Franz gives Othar a crooked smile. "I appreciate the sentiment, but enemies are a matter or course in the age we live in."

(let's try this again)

I kneel down beside the pair and say, "Let's be reasonable here (reason action)...you know that your life hangs in the balance (cold blooded). Give the man the information he requires."

(if I'm not allowed my own roll, can I at least help modify Ahmet's?)

Andrej said...

(OOC: I'm back)

Alexis said...

This is an argument I can see you making.

(GCI: The only issue would be that you seem to be "persuading" him, which you will note on the card states you can use "to influence others" - no problem, that's doable, and gives you a +2 modifier (2d6). However, you seem to suggest that you are using your cold-bloodedness to modify it, which you can't do - because you will note the card states, "to intimidate others" ... intimidation means to scare them, not convince them. Think of your cold-bloodedness as the Samuel L. Jackson "I will fuck you up" look in your eyes.

I know it sounds logical for this to help your persuasion, but in this case the persuasion is the kind of nicey-nice arguments people make, and not the do-this-or-die arguments)

If you could decide to scare him or be his friend, give me your modifier and roll 2d6 for success.

Alexis said...

I'm sorry, Ahmet - a 9 failed to elicit any useful response from him.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet scowls and looks up at the others. Truth be told, Ahmet is much better at the grabbing and squeezing end of things than the talking part.

Andrej said...

Andrej awaits the results of Franz's action, then has a specific action in mind he'd like to take.

Franz said...

(if I roll persuade, can I use the mellow richness of my voice as a 'beauty' modifier?)

Roll: 10 (+2) = 12

(or 14 with beauty)

Franz said...

(I'm being the 'jovial cop' rather than the intimidator...appears there's already one hardcase in the group.)

Alexis said...

(GCI: Yes, you can use beauty to modify your persuasion. In this case, a 14 would normally make him your "friend" ... but there are other modifiers that can raise his resistance)

The fellow gazes at Franz. "Do you think it's that easy?" He'll look at Ahmet. "They left this morning on the south road. That's as much as you'll get out of me. I'm dead anyway - now. If you don't kill me, the Whore will."

At this point, Franz himself, who has been in the Quarter all day, will remember a man and a woman, her dressed as a streetwalker, boarding a carriage and departing with three riders besides. At that moment Franz recognizes the man on the ground as the one that bid them farewell.

Andrej said...

Andrej smiles at the poor fellow, "We shall speed you then on your journey to hell. If the rat is done squeaking, Ahmet, twist off his head."

Ahmet said...

Ahmet growls, "if you are a Christian, confess your sins to the priest. If not, be quick with your last words."

Alexis said...

The "rat" does not protest. He'll turn and fix his eyes on Andrej. "We'll meet one day," he says firmly.

Alexis said...

To Ahmet, he'll say, "Christian? I spit on it. My soul is set to roast in hell."

Andrej said...

"We've already met, you pig." Andrej kicks him full in the face. How shall he roll to hit?

Alexis said...

He's pinned down, so you can't miss. You'll do 1d4 damage.

"YOU BASTARD!" screams the Rat. "Kill me if you like, but don't be a coward!"

Alexis said...

"HOLD!" says Eberhardt, who has arrived. "I'll take that man. We'll save his soul for him if he wants it or not."

Alexis said...

I wanted to distribute x.p.:

Ahmet: 457.
Andrej: 116
Franz: 165 (nice shot)
Nine-toes: 105

Andrej said...

d4: 2 (3 if I add my strength)

Andrej will not be goaded by this worm. Was Jan offered a fair fight the carriage? He thinks not.

Andrej, sincerely and not mockingly, "If you find it distasteful, Ahmet, I will finish it."

Nine-toes said...

"Coward, is he? At least he's not poisoning you while your back is turned. Give us something useful, and maybe Elder Brother will stop stepping on you. Where is the Whore and her companion now?"

Andrej said...

(OOC: Dang Paladin! I guess disregard the last statement to Ahmet. Fun week, Alexis.)

Nine-toes said...

I posted before I read what the paladin said. I also withdraw my statement.

Alexis said...

Eberhardt will point at Othar, and direct the two men walking with him. "Ahmet!" he orders. "Get off him. We won't learn what we want to know this way. There are better talents for this kind of work."

Andrej said...

"Strip him of his things. spoils of war."

Alexis said...

I see it as the sort of everyone talking at once event that would happen. It would probably take a moment to believe that Eberhardt was really stopping you. Your blood would be up - but believe me, you'll all lose your persuasion cards if you go on torturing the man.

Andrej said...

"you'll all lose your persuasion cards if you go on torturing the man."

Could you explain the above, I want to make sure I understand what was meant.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet smirks at the word "distasteful," but before he can proceed, he hears Eberhardt's command and sighs. No neck snapping today, darn it.

While waiting for some guards to arrive to take possession of the man, Ahmet looks at the dagger-thrower man. "You there, guardsman. (Ahmet presumes... for who else would he be?) Strip off his cloak, I want to see what this man wears on his chest to stop my blow. It must be an iron plate -- it felt like striking a block of granite."

Alexis said...

Eberhardt agrees to his being stripped of his armor, his coin and anything else of immediate value - but if there is anything of writing, a sigil even, he wants it.

Andrej can tell clearly that the studded leather armor on the Rat is magical; there's 18 pieces of gold and 24 pieces of silver ... and a pair of hard boots with silver buckles.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Yeah, we're kind of stepping on each other's lines here.)

Ahmet releases the man into the custody of the guards who arrive.

Franz said...

"Hold a moment gentle priest!" says Franz as the bashing begins. "He has told us what we asked, and perhaps there is more to this then meets the eye."

I want to interpose myself between the prisoner and the others; if necessary I'll use persuade on the group to stop them from harming the poor sap.

Alexis said...

Andrej, you'll remember last year when I first conceived of these cards, I made an argument that a character's actions ought to play against that character, if the character chose pathways that definitely defined the heart of what the character was - basically how virtuous they were. Not alignment, but in the sense that having seen or done bad things changes a person.

If you look on the wiki, you'll note the Torturer card halfway down.

Franz said...

(ugh takes awhile to type on a phone)

Alexis said...

There are three guardsmen moving to take hold of the prisoner, including Othar - who will hiss at Franz, "Don't ..."

Eberhardt will come forward and roll, hitting AC 1; he'll seize Franz's throat ... whereupon the guards will simply ignore Franz and keep moving forward.

The hands around your throat, Franz, are like iron you've never felt.

"Just who the hell are you," says Eberhardt gently.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Got it Alexis. To be clear, though, I never intended for Andrej to torture. He let his companions try to twist arms, and lacking much success there was ready to send this one to the afterlife. The kick to the face was brash, admittedly, but not meant to be torture. Maybe a killer of prisoners card? do you equate that to torture?

As an aside, I'm playing up Andrej's violent side a bit. I see him as being at war with the aforementioned Whore and those who serve her or give her succor. Lacking an alignment system and knowing churchmen of the time often acted despicably I'm not sure where the line is exactly to be crossed where I'm at risk of losing favor with Andrej's deity. Will I find out after the fact or before? I'm still willing to dance around it either way.

Alexis said...

Wikipedia: "Torture is the act of inflicting severe pain (whether physical or psychological) as a means of punishment, revenge, forcing information or a confession, or simply as an act of cruelty."

You're only in danger of losing favor with your deity if you act against the church, Andrej; I'll warn you. Just as I'm doing now. It is a question of getting your hands dirty; you'll note, the torture card still gets you a modifier, but if you will play your character as a merciless bastard, the cards will change to reflect it.

And yes, it was definitely moving into the torture scenario; Eberhardt is simply suggesting handing the victim over to professionals... who already have the card, and thus allowing you to keep your equinimity.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Fair enough, thanks for the clarity.)

Andrej said...

"Eberhard, I believe that one to be a friend. Don't break him if you can help it."

Andrej, better composed and more himself, cracks a smile and takes on an easier air, to break the tension.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'll have to call it for the day, with Franz's feet a little less on the ground than before - no worries, if he answers carefully. Have a good weekend, all)

Franz said...

Assuming I can breathe enough to talk:

"A free man, sir knight...and the one who brought down the quarry and convinced him to provide us with the information your men required.

"In my own country, the laying of hands on another without cause is considered impolite at best. I'd thank you to release me.

I do not draw my sabre, but neither do I release my hand from the hilt of the weapon.

(is this a persuade conflict to get this ape off me?)

Franz said...

(ooc: damn, posted 1 minute too late!)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Have a nice weekend all)

Alexis said...

Othar rushes forward to speak: "Your Lordship, please, I vouch for this man as a friend. He is a good man, only often he speaks too quickly and sometimes too well. He means no harm."

Eberhardt considers this, and releases Franz ... but having the initiative, he clouts Franz with the back of his hand, causing 5 damage and stunning Franz thoroughly.

He then turns to Ahmet and his companions: "Take him back to the house, get him something to eat and something rich to drink, and see that the servants find him a bed. I will need men, and fearless men moreso. I will see to it that our new prisoner is brought to the confessional."

Whereupon he goes.

Franz, you can take 100 x.p. in compensation.

(GCI: For the record, any time persons have opposing goals, it is a potential "conflict," and cards may be employed accordingly.

Franz, also, the damage is real - it does not evaporate as pummelling does in the DMG. Eberhardt has quite an effective fist)

Andrej said...

Andrej steps forward, extending his arm to Franz to aid him in getting back to his feet. "Brother Andrej of Cumana, friend. The man with the iron grip is Eberhadt Hornung. The turk is Ahmet oglu Ahmet and that fellow there is Ninetoes. Welcome to the fold."

Ahmet said...

Before turning over the prisoner, Ahmet strips the wretch of his cloak, armor, dagger, and anything else of interest... leaving him in his loincloth (if he is fortunate enough to be wearing one).

He checks over the man to see if he is wearing a copper cross like the one being worn by the corpse they've been guarding... or any jewelry, tattoos or the like.

He then fetches the man's saber and other dagger (which were dropped when Ahmet initially laid him out).

He lays everything out upon the ground and checks it for sigils, markings, what-have-you.

Franz said...

"Well, I've had warmer welcomes...though colder, too, I suppose." Franz takes the priest's hand, preferring not to "kip up" and show off.

"I COULD use something to eat, and I would learn more of Lord Hornung, if I am to serve under his banner. But I also need to retrieve my horse from where it's stabled.

"Oh, yes...and I would like to retrieve my dagger, if it's not too much trouble...I believe I left it in Lord Eberhadt's prisoner."

Andrej said...

'The dagger, of course, you may retrieve. Come to the palast and be refreshed and we shall send somebody to fetch the horse in the morning."

Franz said...

I take my knife and accompany the priest. I can't help but think of the story of Christ on the Cross as the Turk salivates over the condemned man's possessions.

"A nice suit of armor there," I say.

Franz said...

[I should be tracking my own experience total?]

Andrej said...

Andrej leaves the disposition of the prisoner's things to Ahmet, and leads Franz to the palast to get food and a bed. "I don't believe I yet have the pleasure of your name. By your accent I'd say you were not german... how came you to Munster?"

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes follows a few paces behind Andrej, not entirely comfortable with how the new addition addressed Herr Hornung.

"Elder Brother, I would trouble you for healing whenever you have time. I do not know if Ahmet was injured as well."

Andrej said...

Andrej heals Ninetoes with his cure light wounds: 5 hps.

Alexis said...

Franz, yes please, keep track of your experience on your blog-character sheet.

I shall organize myself to writing a new post today, which shall address things upon Friday morning.

Franz said...

[OOC: wow, just had some computer weirdness...had to reboot]

To Andrej (as I watch him heal Nine-Toes):

"Nor have I had the pleasure of YOUR name. Franz Munster. I've been in Westphalia a few months having come up the Rhine. It has been close to three years since I left by native Hungary to seek my fortune."


[OOC: I'll be out for a bit...have to start my commute, folks!]

Andrej said...

(OOC: Franz, you must have missed my first post this morning where introductions were made

I'm ready to move on to Friday. Once Franz is handed off to the house staff for food & bed, Andrej stands down the turret watch, allowing Emmannuel to rest. He checks on Klaas, Joost & Fatima as well, allowing the two henchmen to alternate the watch on Fatima's door through the night. They are assured they will be given extra rest time on Friday. Then Andrej seeks his own bed and rest.

Franz said...

(ooc: whoops! So you did! Please ignore that part of my speech!)

Ahmet said...

Anything unusual regarding the armor, weapons, clothing, jewelry, et. al., from the prisoner?

Alexis said...

Other than the armor being magical, according to Andrej's spell, no.

Ahmet said...

No sigils or markings? And no copper cross?

Alexis said...

No, no cross. But you'll remember, Nine-toes didn't find a cross there before going back and finding the man dead.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Hmm... interesting.)

Ahmet gathers everything up -- one cloak, one suit of magical studded leather armor, one pair of hard boots with silver buckles, one sabre, two daggers, 18 pieces of gold, and 24 pieces of silver (missing anything?) -- and returns to the palast.

He turns over the coins to Andrej for the "community pot." The weapons, cloak and boots will go onto the cart. He holds onto the armor for now.

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 207   Newer› Newest»