Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Returning to Engelke

Monday, August 25, 1650

Weather:  Unchanged; pleasant temperatures continuing as the sun sets, no rainfall and a moderate breeze, the overcast sky beginning to break up.


The likelihood is that the party has bundled Devereaux's body in a blanket from his bed for carrying, and that as the party makes its way back to town it is fairly loaded.  The body is about 80 lbs., so that is one player; the keg is not that heavy, 10 lbs., but it is bulky and fairly demands the attention of one person.  The chest is 72 lbs., which gets unpleasant for one person over a long distance - so it is probably being shared by two people.

The sun is an hour above the horizon when you get back to the edges of Engelke.  You find a chapel, speak with a priest there - who recognizes Devereaux and speaks kindly of the fact that the poor, deeply troubled man has found his rest at last.  He is well known in the area as a madman.  The cleric automatically associates the party (wandering mercenaries as you appear) as descendents of Devereaux's shipmates, and the lie seems simple enough that you go with it.  Whatever questions you may have of the priest in general go unanswered, as the priest knows very little of life, and politics, being simply a country vicar.

The sun is just above the horizon as you get on the road again and enter amid the first houses of Engelke.  Things seem a bit busy for the time of night.  Quite a number of the houses have lights burning as the sun slips below the horizon, and just now coming along the road is a wagon pulled by two horses, driving hell for leather towards you.  The wagon is mostly empty, and the driver hardly sees you before nearly running you down.  He doesn't look as he passes, did not even see you.

Over the next five minutes or so, as you are still at least twenty minutes from the Inn where you've left your horses and Emmanuel, the road starts filling with people, all moving in the opposite direction as you - perhaps a hundred overall.  From them you get news:

"Enrico Baptista has entered the Dollart [the gentle bay upon which Engelke rests] with nine ships, and swears to plunder the town," comes the first meaningful information you can receive.  From where the party is, the Dollart cannot be seen ... but the Inn you go to is within seven streets of Engelke's wharf.

41 comments:

Alexis said...

(OOC: Fellas, just a head's up. I'm going to suspend the campaign for the month of December, for Christmas and other things. Our last day playing will be Wednesday, November 30, and we will pick up again on Tuesday, January 3. Please let me know if that inconveniences anyone)

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: I have taken a similar LOA from my campaign. Now I am fired up to get back to it. Those breaks are good.)

"Unless we'be a desire to be here when this place is plundered, I say we go find your book, Andrej."

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - I'm fine with that.)

"I'm for gathering the horses and the cart and making off with whatever we can on short notice. Or should we abandon the cart and just leave with what the horses can carry?"

Nine-toes said...

Have any of us heard of Enrico? Is he a pirate?

Silvius Volundr said...

As I recall, yes. He is the Spanish pirate.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet grins eagerly and breaks into a run... then slows to a stop and turns around.

"Wait... we DON'T want to be here when the pirates arrive?" He looks like a little boy who has been told that he slept through Christmas.

Nine-toes said...

"How many men do you think 9 ships can carry, Ahmet? I am sure you are eager to test your skill, but do you think you could take a hundred pirates?"

"Unless we could reset Devereaux's traps and lure them there...."

Silvius Volundr said...

"Spose they know about the gem?"

Andrej said...

"Quickly, to the inn. We find Emmanuel and take all that we can."

Andrej nudges Ahmet with his elbow as he passes him paused on the road with a dreamy look in his eyes while Andrej is now at a full trot, "Another time, brother, another time." He calls over his shoulder.

"If I know Emmanuel, all will be ready for us to leave when we arrive."

Alexis said...

LOL, I love you guys.

First of all, please take note that previously in the campaign I have once used the name 'Baptista' but I have not used the name 'Enrico.'

Secondly, I appreciate that Nine-toes is for gathering the horses and possibly abandoning the cart, but wouldn't the priority for the moment be to get there?

Nine-toes said...

"I'm guessing a certain pirate is a bit peeved at not getting several thousands in bars of silver that he was expecting."

"There is no time to lose, we must make haste."

Ninetoes runs full tilt for the cart and horses.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Taking the break is fine, if we must. Of course I'll miss the month that we do not play, but I understand it will be difficult to play during the holidays and we will come back chomping at the bit)

Alexis said...

Ah, I see Andrej has said that it is.

As you break into a trot, noting that the things you're carrying are somewhat inconvenient (at least you've rid yourselves of the body), you quicken the pace at which you will get to your inn. Around you, there is a bit more activity, and as you enter the center of town you see some people gathering up a few things and rushing their children out of their houses.

You reach a high point where you can look down on the Dollart, and you can see there are nine ships in the harbor. There are no other ships in the harbour. The sun is down and the twilight shows brilliant red and orange clouds on the horizon - a truly beautiful sight.

Less beautiful is the sign of fifty or more long boats making their way from the nine ships towards the shore. A quick calculation (the cleric would have some head for that) would be 25 to 30 persons per long boat - or perhaps as many as 50 persons per long boat - would mean ...

Alexis said...

Nine-toes quickly outdistances the rest of the party. Closer to the inner town, he passes by a troop of forty soldiers marching in order down to the docks. He dodges into the stable, and there finds Emmanuel with everything loaded, the horses saddled and ready to go. He is holding off three rough-looking young toughs, fifteen or sixteen years of age, who are bent on seizing two of the horses. Emmanuel has had his nose bloody, but he's gamely holding them off with Ahmet's scimitar (I think Ahmet said he left it behind) and a torch.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes attacks the nearest ruffian with his fist, shouting to Emmanuel that help is on its way.

(not making an attack or damage roll until directed)

(crap, we didn't get a chance to heal up)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Yes, Ahmet has only his daggers, everything else was left behind...)

Ahmet races after the others. Seeing the many boats coming toward shore, and the many men crammed aboard them, he seems less eager for combat, and more eager for his horse and the cart.

Andrej said...

(GPI: Alexis, for future reference, Emmanuel has is own leather armor and a mace. I'm not saying that he'd be equipped with them here, Ahmet's scimitar seems as likely as anything, but provide the info now only in the event that you weren't aware)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Ahmet was at 17 HP, minus 6 HP for the encounter with Devereaux's floor. If the +10 HP for leveling up went into effect immediately, he's at 21 HP.)

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, roll to hit with your fist; remember damage is 1-3.

Nine-toes makes a good point regarding hit points and healing up. Those who have leveled may count the additional hit points to their present total, but do not recover the damage they've taken. For instance, Silvius present status is 6 hp higher than he was, but is still 8 points below his maximum.

The reason why Emmanuel may have wound up with the scimitar instead of his mace may be varied and bizarre, Andrej. But I appreciate the information.

Alexis said...

(OOC: You anticipate me, Ahmet)

Nine-toes said...

Attack roll 14

Damage roll 2

Alexis said...

The young man goes down like a sack of potatoes, Nine-toes ... and the other two react with fear. They scramble for the double doors to the stable and run out.

Emmanuel lets the scimitar fall and sighs, "Thank you."

At that point the barkeep comes in - his surname is Vorhein - with a maul in his hands. He recognizes Nine-toes, and smiles. "I don't think I'll be gettin' paid by you tonight, master. Not that it will do me much good."

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'm hopelessly lost. Silvius I'm certain is in armor - are Andrej and Ahmet?)

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes tosses 3 gp to the innkeep.

"Take it and may God be with you. But your life is worth more than any gold. If you've no means of leaving the city, I would suggest you travel with us in the cart."

Ninetoes mounts his horse and waits for the others to arrive, keeping an eye on the innkeep.

"Emmanuel, are you badly injured?"

Andrej said...

Anrdrej is dressed as a priest and without armor.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Ahmet is wearing his adventurer's garb. I didn't anticipate a fight with the old man.)

Alexis said...

The bartender laughs. "I'll die here first."

Off hand, I'll rule that Nine-toes does not have chest or keg, and that he's therefore carrying whatever light objects may have been collected at Devereaux's.

Alexis said...

Then the fastest way to get back would be Andrej and Ahmet carrying the chest, and Silvius carrying the keg. The first two of you will get there a little sooner than Silvius.

Emmanuel has been able to clean himself up a bit. Vorhein has offered Nine-toes a sack of meal and four extra horse-shoes, recommending that he see that Andrej's horse has a shoe replaced in Leer (Vorhein noted earlier that the present shoe is bound to be thrown soon).

As Nine-toes is taking the shoes (I trust), Andrej and Ahmet appear.

Outside, dragging a bit behind, Silvius takes note that there are a dozen men carrying spears and glaives are gathering across the street. Just as Silvius reaches the stable door, he sees them break and start to move with purpose towards the stable.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet takes the chest from Andrej -- assuming he can carry it the remaining distance to the wagon -- and push it aboard. While he's there, he grabs his scimitar or one of his pick axes, whichever is closer.

Alexis said...

Say it's a pick-axe.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: sorry guys, gonna be busy for the next hour or so)

Andrej said...

"All items on the wagon, mount up."

Andrej assists Emmanuel in getting the cart from the stable, then mounts his own horse provided we are not impeded.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes grabs his sack off the cart, just in case.

Alexis said...

In the interest of time, I'll rule that Silvius comes in the door and announces that a group of men are coming this way.

(OOC: I'm going to be gone, too; I have a three-hour meeting starting in about twenty minutes ... I'll need coffee and supplies - it's worse that striking out against a mountainside)

Andrej said...

(OOC: By the time you're back today, Alexis, I'll be on the way to the airport. I'll be unavailable most if not all of tomorrow but if the return flight has wireless good to play on Thursday)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet, pick ax in hand, swings up onto his horse. He calls to Silvius, "We'll take the front -- if necessary we'll have to clear a path for the wagon."

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - I'll be gone this afternoon as well for a meeting)

Alexis said...

As Ahmet mounts, and the cart is fully loaded, and the other players are ready to mount, Vorhein moves to open the doors for you. Before he can get there, however, the doors will open wide, revealing the armed men.

One of them calls out: "In the NAME of the CITY of Engelke, we impound all the animals and goods contained within this place!"

They have patches on their shoulders indicating the city, but Vorhein will say aloud - "Damnable town watchmen!"

Alexis said...

(OOC: Might as well stop it there, and leave the rest to be picked up mid-day Thursday, Andrej being able to)

Andrej said...

(Provided that I have wireless on the plane, I should be able to check in around 10:00 AM EST.)

Alexis said...

This is continued on the next post.