Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Reaching Leer

Tuesday, August 19, 1650

Weather: Moring is cool and overcast, with a fresh breeze.  This breeze lightens a bit through mid-day, but brings mist that lowers the visibility when the party reaches the town of Leer.  There is no rainfall.

It is two in the afternoon when the party reaches the town of Leer, a little more than 3,000 people, an open, unwalled town occupying a mere square mile upon the Ems river.  This is the region of East Frisia, and for the first time in some months, Andrej sees an openly Catholic chapel upon the wayside.

The town of Engelke, much larger, is reached by following the last few miles of the river before it enters the 'Dollart,' a small bay subject to tides, separating Engelke from the Dutch Province of Groningen.  A gentle slope surrounds the Dollart, but the party is only a few feet above sea level in Leer.

Both the town of Leer and the town of Engelke are trading markets - if you don't find something in Engelke, you might find it here ... but I'd have to dismiss the rest of today's travel if the party decided to stick around at this time.  In any event, I haven't generated a table for Leer or Emden (I can do so tonight), so if you do want to buy, we can presume it 'happened' and move on right now.

131 comments:

Andrej said...

I'm for moving on to Engelke and finding lodging there.

Alexis said...

(GCI: This is about the fifteenth time I've meant to mention this, and at last I'm going to do so.

At the Apothecary's shop, you will occasionally find a very expensive product called 'healing salve.' The effect of this is to heal 1-4 hit points almost immediately upon application, which typically requires a certain number of rounds to present, and one round to apply. It is poured into a 'wound' like a liquid sulfa, or swallowed, and it is semi-magical in nature. I noticed in Oldenburg it was almost 60 g.p. a dose. I will make sure the table in Leer or Engelke has it available to make up for my being remiss in mentioning its properties)

Andrej said...

(OOC: very nice.)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: And while you're adding to tables, I'd like a bullwhip also ;) Maybe a fedora and a leather jacket also?)

Ahmet nods to Andrej. "Let's push on."

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'd think Ahmet would want a 'fez.' I'll check on the history of the fedora and try to remember to put in a bullwhip. Want to try and find me an example of one on the net that has both the weight and the dimensions?

That's pretty much how I add everything; looking for its weight and its size on the net. For a bullwhip I think I'd have to argue it had 50% more workmanship than a cat-o-nine; sound good to you?)

Alexis said...

Engelke is a good deal bigger than Leer, almost eight thousand people, with a sprawled out portion and a walled inner town. It is easy enough to find an inn outside the walls, so there is no cost for entering if you only want to stay there.

The mist clears and the sky turns blue with lots of puffy clouds. The breeze remains moderate, and the ground dries.

Silvius Volundr said...

Let's push on, unless Andrej has church business.

(OOC: Alexis, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, would it be possible to put a link to the map on the sidebar? I have it saved to a couple of my computers, but not all of my devices. Presently, it is not a huge headache to go to the thread and pull up the map, but it will become less convenient the more threads that get posted here. I know you are busy, but if its not a big deal o think it would be helpful.)

Alexis said...

You people travel any more west and I will have to cook up new maps. Probably work out the vegetation map for Holland on the weekend.

Silvius Volundr said...

My post hit late. I move to explore Engelke.

Alexis said...

Anyway, the maps are added Silvius.

Andrej said...

Depending on what we find in Engelke, we may be going clear to France. :)

An inn outside of the walls of Engelke sounds fine for me, but I suspect we'll be making our way to the town proper at some point during our investigation. Andrej will deduct coins for private room, meals and stabling of two horses once the market list is available. We'll also be replenishing our food stores while in town, I'll let you all know.

For the time being, though, let us congregate in the common room of the inn and plan out our activity. We need to locate a trail that could be 70-years cold. The boatswain, Michele Deveraux, may have stayed here and even had children that survive him or may have left immediately upon arriving. I suspect we could begin by looking for any Devereauxs. We could also inquire as to how the town processes those saved from shipwreck and if there is any record of the Pale or some ship that foundered on the banks just outside of Cuxhaven 70 years ago.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: You might find this interesting:

http://theaustralianwhipco.com/bullwhips.htm

A 10' whip seems to be fairly standard, with a 7/8th inch diameter and a 10-inch handle, weighing about 770 grams.)

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: damn! That was fast! Thank you, Alexis!)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'd have to slow you down before you get to France; haven't got it built yet! Can't you explore some part of the 4 million square miles I have mapped?

Don't hesitate to ask for things, fellas; I only didn't put the maps on the sidebar because it never occurred to me. Thank you Silvius).

Hemp, Nine-toes. This time of year, the windmills turn cogs that lift hammers that pound hemp that is used to make sails and nets. You'd have found them turning 24/7, with crews working the night through. You can find a windmill by the side of the road outside of Engelke that gives you the answer.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: And this might be even more information than anyone would ever need:

http://bullwhip-info.com/whip_information/general_whip_information.html

There's a page on the Internet for EVERYTHING!)

Alexis said...

I haven't gone into the back catalog yet, but I'm sure I mentioned some kind of institution that keeps those records in Engelke, Andrej.

Alexis said...

That object will be on the table you receive tonight, Ahmet. Can't promise it will be available ...

Silvius Volundr said...

'The Great Whip Blight of 1650'....it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Silvius will convene in the common room with Andrej, ordering ale to help him think.

(OOC: congrats, Ninetoes!)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Well damn, how about that! Well done you, Nine-toes. Given when you found out, any chance you'll name the child Sebastian?)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Okay, I'm going to call it today here. It's a good time and place. I'll be around to answer questions, but I'm going to try to post to the other blog and finish my day)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Take it easy Alexis)

I suppose we find the place where the records are kept regarding shipwrecks and survirors then find somebody that can read them to us. :)

Talk to you guys tomorrow.

Nine-toes said...

I'm back.

Andrej said...

Andrej will be instructing Emmanuel on what to purchase at market the following day, giving him 15 gp, 58 silvers & 24 coppers and giving him use of the cart and horse(note on Emmanuel's character sheet on my character blog that he also has his own belt pouch and silver coins for his own use):

- 2 sacks of beans (22.2 e): 10 gp total
- 2 sacks of potatoes (26.7e): 22 sp total
- 2 sacks of wheat grain (22.82): 16 sp total
- 10 lbs. rabbit sausage (10): 20 sp total
- add 6 days of horse feed to our sack for a total of 20: 24 cp
- 1 keg of ale (41.2) 5 gp

If you want in on the meal plan it'll cost you 4 gold and 6 coppers (I used most of the coins we took from Victor's body to offset costs). It's enough food to last us about 14 days with what we still have, give or take. I'm only buying feed for my two horses, though, so you guys need to account for yours.

I have deducted a day's stay at the inn, including a bath and a meal each for Emmanuel and I plus the feed & stabling for two horses (19 silvers, 6 coppers total).

On the morrow, Emmanuel will make his way to the market with the cart and get our provisions. I recommend we split the remainder of the party. Ahmet and Silvius will seek out the records for the wreck of the Pale, goal is to find what happened to the boatswain Michel Deveraux. Andrej and NineToes are seeking out the address 10 Amrunstrasse. Andrej will ask for the silver chain and key back from Silvius, if he doesn't mind.

I must admit, I'm curious to see where the silver bars were headed. It might not even be an address in Engelke at all... but aren't you guys just a little bit curious? Ninetoes and my mission will be strictly one of shallow reconnaissance.

Agreed?

Nine-toes said...

Agreed. I'll pay the money for food to Andrej and deduct 19 sivlers for lodging and stabling.

Andrej said...

Ninetoes, yours would be a little less unless you want 2 baths, 2 meals and 2 mugs of ale. :)

Nine-toes said...

Eh, I'm hungry and the dog probably needs a bath, too.

Andrej said...

should be wheat flour and not wheat grain above.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'll go in on the meal plan.

I think we should steer clear of the address. We're already on a quest. ;) But since Silvius and I are off researching, you two can do what you will...)

Andrej said...

Your counsel is wise, noble Ahmet, but I literally can't help myself.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I promise we'll come visit you in prison...)

When Andrej gives Emmanuel his shopping list, Ahmet also will give Emmanuel two gold coins and ask him to buy him a bullwhip, "and get something nice for yourself."

Alexis said...

The records of lost vessels would be kept with the Sea Nautical Guild of Engelke, which is easy enough to find by asking directions. It is, however, in the inner town, and will cost a silver each to visit.

Nine-toes said...

I'll deduct the additional silver

Alexis said...

Andrej and Nine-toes can learn with little difficulty that 10 Amrunstrasse is indeed an address. The Innkeep can give you directions to get there that are quite easy to follow; it is outside the walls, and will not cost you a penny to go there.

At present, I am under the belief that neither pair has left the inn; please make your actions from this point forward as plain as possible.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Ahmet, are you happy with the proposed rules for the bullwhip?)

(OOC: Nine-toes, did you see my question about the name 'Sebastian'?)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - I did! Thanks. I'll run Sebastian by the wife. Right now I think Daniel leads the pack for boy names.)

Ninetoes will first go to the Sea Nautical Guild, and will save the mysterious address for evening, where he can better hide in the dark (I intend to try to be sneaky.) Ninetoes will try to find what became of Michele Deveraux, where he might be buried, where his family might be.

Silvius Volundr said...

I am in with the meal plan. I will deduct costs for that and feed and entrance to Engelke tonight.

Then I will join Ahmet to go to the Sea Nautical Guild (SNG).

Andrej said...

Andrej will still be going to the address, though rather than stop he will stroll slowly down the street and take in as much detail about the location and the surrounding area as he can. He will be dressed in his priest's attire (cassock, shawl, etc...) with his backpack slung over one shoulder. Inside the pack will be his maces.

Alexis said...

At some point, fellas, we'll get together on not using the word "will" before going to do something. "Will" is a future tense. When Silvius or Nine-toes or Andrej (you all three just did it) say, "I will go to that place," it means you're still sitting at the inn finishing your breakfast.

When you are ready to put things in the present tense, please.

Silvius Volundr said...

I am going to the SNG.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes goes to the Sea Nautical Guild.

Andrej said...

Andrej is acting as described above. Or more accurately, he is leaving the inn with the intention of acting as described above. What actually happens is out of his immediate control.

Alexis said...

Thank you all.

Andrej, several people on the street take positive notice of you, wishing you "Good morning Father" as you pass and so forth. It is quite heartening. No one seems the least upset in your rather rough appearance.

The address is a three story brick-faced flat, with a recessed doorway and only 14 feet of frontage on Amrunstrasse. The door is closed, but Andrej can see that it has been recently damaged and forced open; no lock is in evidence, and fresh, clean wood has been exposed around the latch.

Alexis said...

Silvius,

You meet with a clerk at the Sea Nautical Guild, who informs you two things: the first, that any researched information about the past will cost you a gold piece; and second, that there will be a four day business waiting period. Since this is now Wednesday morning, the day after the party arrived in Engelke, and no business is done Sunday, you shouldn't expect to receive an appointment to look into the records until Monday the 25th.

I should say for general information that the morning is cool and without rain.

Alexis said...

Ah, the above explanation goes for Nine-toes, too; you're both told the guild will require a wait.

Nine-toes said...

I wait for dark. When it is dark, I go to the address, trying to hide in shadows and move quietly.

Silvius Volundr said...

I see little option other than to pay the clerk and await our appointment. Silvius hands over the gold.

From there, Silvius makes his way through the street until he finds the blacksmith's shop.

(OOC: Silvius never had that chain, Andrej. Think that was Ahmet.

Go into the house and take anything not nailed down!)

Alexis said...

Ah, you see Silvius, it is the opposite now. The clerk tells you impatiently (annoyed, as all civil servants are) to keep your gold. It WILL cost you that much when the time comes.

Nine-toes, I'll have to see if Andrej does something first, before night comes.

Andrej said...

Andrej approaches the doorway, looks up and down the street behind him to see if any take notice, then if satisfied he's not being watched or causing a stir, opens the door to peer inside.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - damn, I totally should have gone with you. Now I'm nervous.)

Andrej said...

(OOC - no worries, i just want a sense of what's there (if anything) i won't have too much fun without you guys.)

Silvius Volundr said...

In that case, Silvius "will" pay the clerk his gold.

Alexis said...

Amrunstrasse, I should say, is a sort of by-way street; not very long, not full of shops, but the road between a central throughfare and the road along the Dollart connecting Engelke's wharf with the Leer road out of town.

No one reacts to Andrej's opening of a strange door, but he gets the sense that someone might be curious about it.

The interior of the house is empty in the sense that no one lives there, or has lived there for a long time. There is a layer of dust which shows hundreds of footprints all around, recently made, leading through the front room towards the rear of the house, and up the stairs to the left.

Andrej said...

Andrej enters the house, closing the door behind him. Once inside, he will remove a mace from his pack and hold this in his right hand. Pack is still slung over the left shoulder.

Should he get caught Andrej will state that his concern for seeing the door to what is obviously a home in such a state prompted him to investigate, concerned for the occupants. He's hoping his position as a catholic cleric will buy him the benefit of the doubt.

Andrej said...

When you say "empty in the sense that noone lives there" is that to say there are furnishings here? If so, of what sort?

Alexis said...

No furnishings, no sign that there ever were any furnishings, no leavings or scraps anywhere to be seen. Truly, really empty.

When Andrej closes the door, he gets his mace halfway out of his pack when he hears a sneeze, and a puff of dust balloons into the room from the center of the opposite wall.

Then a piece of the wall shudders and reforms into a mouth - about eighteen inches across - with no other features except for the lips and teeth.

"Victor!" says the mouth. "I hope you haven't been late! You need to get an ordinary rowboat and haul ass out to the Paap Sands at one after midnight on 21st and meet Baptista's man there. Give him the silver. Remind him there's a LOT more coming, that this is the least little downpayment to show our intentions. He'll need one bar to gain the rest from the bank in Amsterdam. Don't FAIL!"

The mouth then promptly disappears.

Andrej said...

Andrej cannot contain the mischievous smile now nearly splitting his face. He makes a search of the downstairs. Does he turn anything further up?

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - waaaaaaaaaaay cool)

Alexis said...

Nope. House is empty.

Silvius Volundr said...

Awesome.

Andrej said...

Andrej will search the 2nd and 3rd stories of the house and if there is a cellar or basement, that too.

Alexis said...

Nope, Andrej finds nothing else.

(OOC: Fills in a few holes, don't it?)

Andrej said...

(OOC: yes, but just a few. :) )

Just to be thorough: Is there any lock at all in the house that the key fits? The key being the one gotten from Victor and currently hanging from a silver chain upon Andrej?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Sorry, work came up. Alexis, the new bullwhip rules look like a lot of fun and I can't wait to try it!

Presumably Ahmet is in the Sea Nautical Guild, where I'd said he'd go with Silvius...)

Ahmet huffs at having to pay a silver piece, puffs at having to pay a gold piece, and chuffs at the four-day waiting period. But this is one argument that can't be won by a well-aimed pick ax, so he really has no choice in the matter.

He turns to his companions. "Surely we can find something to do over the next few days that will pay us more than three golds and three silvers, so we can at least break even on this quest."

Nine-toes said...

"Let's see what Elder Brother found at the address before we go wandering off."

Alexis said...

There is no lock anywhere in the house at all, Andrej. There is the logical conclusion from the door being forced that there may have been a lock present on the outside door, but it isn't there now.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet waves a hand at Ninetoes. "He's probably off praying somewhere. Where's your sense of adventure? Let's find some action!"

Andrej said...

Andrej will place his mace back into his pack then leave the house, closing the door behind him. Upon doing so, he will pause a few breaths at the stoop, then re-enter the house to see if the magic mouth will be triggered again.

Alexis said...

Standing in the open doorway, it does not activate.

Andrej said...

Andrej enters the house as he did before when the mouth was triggered.

Andrej said...

Also, is Andrej able to tell anything about the "hundreds of footprints"? Were they all made at the same time or over the course of many days/ weeks/ months based on a variable amount of dust filling each? If recent, do they appear to belong to a large party or a small group having crossed and re-crossed the floor?

Alexis said...

I could get picky about this, but its in my interest to let it go. I think most DM's would insist on you saying exactly what it is you do. But since you can go copy the text line by line, I think we'll get there eventually.

You step inside and close the door, which is the last thing you remember doing before the mouth started.

It does not activate when you do this. You cannot make it activate at all.

Alexis said...

The footprints all look very recent, and of many persons (different sizes of foot) all wearing apparently the same kind of shoe (wider towards the toe and points in the dust that show the toe was armored), crossing and recrossing the room (apparently, toes pointing in every direction).

Andrej said...

(OOC: I cannot speak for most DMs, but I'd handle it as you did above in my own game. It is in nobody's interest to obsess over minutiae. The intent is clear, and I'm going about it in a straightforward manner: Will the mouth trigger again? If not, why did it trigger for me and not those who broke in? Should we assume that they have the same information as we?)

How about the prints? Upon closer examination can Andrej glean any further information.

Andrej said...

Got it. Andrej leaves the house and makes his way to the waterfront. Once there he makes polite and casual inquires about the area and activity upon the river. He works his way around to asking about the sand bars nearby, specifically: where is Paap Sands and is there anything of note there. After that, Andrej heads back to the inn with his information.

Silvius Volundr said...

Once at the blacksmith's shop, Silvius attempts to strike up conversation with the smith while perusing his collection of caltrops.

He makes mention of the quality, pointing out in particular the smith's "drawing" technique on the caltrops' points.

(OOC: I'm looking to establish rapport and perhaps pick up local gossip or rumor. )

Ahmet said...

Ahmet sticks with Ninetoes -- if he follows Silvius, Ahmet does as well. Wherever Ninetoes goes, Ahmet follows him, cajoling him to go with him in search of adventure. "It's been far too long since we've killed something!"

Nine-toes said...

"True, it has been a while since anything has tried to kill us. Some might view that as positive, but since you are restive, let's have a walk about and see what we can see."

Ninetoes leaves word with the inn keeper for his friends that he and Ahmet will be about town until the evening. He leaves the crossbow locked in his room at present, but takes the staff. He looks for street performers, or anyone bored-looking with whom he might strike up a conversation. He approaches the first person he sees who looks promising.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet brings nothing but his daggers and a belt pouch with assorted silvers, coppers and golds totaling about 10 g.p.

Ninetoes does the talking while Ahmet does the staring.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Hey guys, I'm going to be tied up the rest of the day. I wanted to get this out there though when we meet back up at the inn. Just some thoughts and notes I've been collecting as we go that I cleaned up and clarified. This was to be my lead-in for the "what to do next" discussion)

So to summarize… the ostensible agents of the Holy Roman Emperor, possibly operating out of and at a minimum now headed to or already in Munster (a Catholic city and Bishopric of the Empire) are working to thwart the designs of some mysterious group whose agent, Victor, once propositioned us to see him safely to Engelke. Victor’s group possesses some large amount of silver bars located in a bank in Amsterdam, possibly belonging to or originating from a league of pirates that got rich raiding the Spanish Main. We once held a small sample of this treasure before handing it over to the Emperor’s guard.
What the designs of this group are, we do not know, but they appear to be well funded and at odds with the Emperor. The agent of this group, Victor Emmanuel Hernandez Salvador, who may be Irish but the name sounds Spanish to me, was killed upon the road by the nameless agent of the Empire who now possesses the silver bars, thanks to us. This one made intimations that his group was collecting the rest (i.e. “…lost two days in obtaining the 'hundredth part…”) or did somebody interpret that differently?
Today we intercepted a message intended for Victor wherein he was instructed to meet (via rowboat) an agent of Baptista’s (who is this?) on the Paap Sands one after midnight on the 21st (this evening? Today is the 20th I believe, after midnight would be the 21st). The house where this message appeared was forcefully entered by a party of armored men some time recently (Emperor’s personal guard?). The message was delivered to Andrej by a magic mouth, suggesting a magic user was involved with and quite likely directing the actions of Victor. We cannot say for certain that the mouth was not also triggered by those who entered before us, but I suspect that it was not given what I assume about how the spell functions and investigations Andrej made. Therefore, we know of the meeting place and time but the Imperial agents do not, if my suspicion is correct.
There are at least three groups at work here: those who we assume to be the personal guard of the Emperor; Victor’s group who are possibly affiliated with pirates and finally the newest member of the intrigue: Batista’s group, of whom we know very little. We do not know any group’s intentions or more broadly, what all of the fuss is over… we cannot even say for sure that each group truly is what we assume it to be. We have no silver but do have knowledge of the rendevous that Victor will now not make. We also have no real stake in any of this, but the intrigue is enticing, no?
We could ignore the rendezvous sight and time and walk away at this point, going on our merry way to other adventures, providing it all doesn’t come back to haunt us… or we can dive right in and see what’s going on, clumsy and ill-informed as that might seem. We would be arriving at the rendezvous without the silver, having handed it over and with knowledge of Victor’s demise and will quite likely not endear ourselves to Baptista’s agent. Thoughts?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'm all for intrigue, but I think we're in way over our head here...)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - without a bar of silver to take to the bank, the point is moot. Even if we had by some miracle obtained all the silver from the bank (! - how to even carry it!) I'm sure we would have been in the middle of some sh*t storm or other and wouldn't have held it very long. We could go to the rendevous and see what we can see, but if the agents of the HRE sent 11 men just to deal with the four of us, if they are aware of the meeting place themselves we could probably expect an armada in the water at midnight. I'm still curious to know how it plays out, but I don't see much opportunity for profit for us out of any of this.)

Andrej said...

I'll take that as two votes against pursuing this further. If Silvius echos your thoughts, we are decided.

While we await our meeting with the Nautical Guild Andrej will see about possibly getting a remove curse scroll from the local church, which we will need at some point if we seek the gem. I know Alexis's lists have spells available, but am unsure about scrolls. In the event that the cost is substantial, are you guys willing to split it 4-ways?

Nine-toes said...

Of course, it's a group expense.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Yes, four ways.)

Silvius Volundr said...

I say we send Ninetoes to take in that meeting in secret. I don't think we should be seen there by any of the groups and I agree with him that there is likely not to be profit in it for us. May be helpful to see some faces, though.

Nice summary by the way, Andrej.

I am good with splitting a scroll cost, but you lot will have to carry my cost until we get paid again- Loki was expensive.

Alexis said...

Andrej finds out that the 'Paap Sands' are a group of bars in the estuary of the Ems River that ostensibly separates the County of East Frisia from Netherlands. One of these is known as the 'Isle' of Paap, which is a single stone slab about fifty feet long by thirty feet wide.

While Silvius's conversations with the blacksmith are moderately enlightening with regards to techniques for making caltrops, and frought with tasty rumor tidbits like that the neighborwoman is drunk a lot of the time or that the wagoneers who bring things from Leer aren't worth the cankers god occasionally blesses them with, not much else is learned.

In general, throughout this Tuesday, all attempts to bully the DM into giving yet another adventure sour completely. Some days just don't turn out well. Oh, there's the weather to talk about, and the winter coming, and the quality of the harvest season, and how unusually dry it's been - good for cutting wheat - along with the attractiveness of the miller's daughter who's only just turned 15 and so on. But no convenient things to kill.

Alexis said...

Regarding Andrej's long summation. Good thing I'm not a storyteller DM, eh?

Alexis said...

I'm afraid I do not sell scrolls, or any kind of magic item. It's just impossible to tell what kind of evil use they'll be put to. But a cleric - if there's no one else already waiting - will be happy to cast the spell while you wait.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: I just don't want anyone coming back and claiming that we haven't done enough to create opportunity. If that is bullying, then I want to be Bill O'Reilly!)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Joking! I promise I'm joking!)

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: I'm marrying that farmers daughter.)

Alexis said...

The eleventh hour of the evening of the 20th approaches. The moon begins to narrow into the last quarter, and will not rise until after 1 a.m.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Sounds like we have to make a decision. Ninetoes, are you willing to go?)

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius will watch Ninetoes' back. ;)

D20= 31

Andrej said...

Since Victor clearly is not showing up there won't actually be a meeting will there? I'm not sure what good a look at Baptista's agent would do us at this point other than to expose a single member of the party to danger, perhaps unnecessarily.

Were we to bother with the meeting at all, in my view, it would be to present ourselves and parley with the agent to see what we could find out about what's going on. There's a small chance that by playing off what little information we had so far we could gather more. Again, perhaps not a great idea... but an intriguing one to me. Ninetoes going off alone strikes me as a lot of risk for one player to take on.

Andrej said...

... unless the plan is for Ninetoes to try and follow the agent back somewhere... again, risky but not without purpose. Of course, meeting on a sand bar makes stealth and pursuit difficult, does it not?

Silvius Volundr said...

You may be right on this. The risk/reward may not be favorable.

Nine-toes said...

The meeting's not for several days, right? We could scout out the sandbar and see if there's anywhere we could hide. Maybe the two sides will fight and we could pick up the pieces.

That still would leave us with the problem of how to unload the silver assuming we ever actually got it, but first things first.

Alexis said...

(OOC: on a sidenote, I've fixed the pics on the sidebar so that they are actually links that enlarge. Sorry about not making that so in the first place)

Alexis said...

At the moment, Nine-toes, the meeting should be in two hours: 1 a.m. on the 21st. At this point, you'd have to steal a rowboat to go ... there are none available for purchase or rent.

Nine-toes said...

I'm not in favor of stealing a rowboat. I'm afraid we'll have to leave the clandestine meetings to our betters, gents.

Should we just wait in town until we can get the info on the boatswain?

Andrej said...

Unless some other opportunity presents itself or we have an idea of how to better badger the DM into providing another in the meantime, I'm OK with waiting it out.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'm all for letting the night go by without doing anything. I think we're in over our heads.)

Andrej said...

If we all eat chicken at the inn (64 oz. for 2 silvers!) we can save some coins on our meal expenses.

Nine-toes said...

Mmmmm... chicken.

And appropriate, considering our reluctance to engage the agents of the HRE!

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius loves chicken and will be joining you for dinner.

Ahmet said...

Chicken all around, my good man.

Andrej said...

Alexis the party is letting the night of the 20th go by without action or preperation on our part.

The cost of a private room, stabling and feed for one horse and a share of the chicken dinner with bread and ale comes to 4 silvers and 26 coppers a day each.

Andrej said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexis said...

Beyond seeking some kind of adventure, is there anything the party would like to specifically obtain in the next days prior to Monday; call it one minute after midnight Thursday the 21st, right now.

I'll need to know in order to construct the next post.

Incidentally, it starts to rain about 12:30, and rains buckets for about an hour. So Nine-toes missed that.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes eats chicken, plays chess and practices forms. Oh, and prays, for good measure.

Andrej said...

"An evening unfit for man, beast and monk."

Andrej will be purchasing a healing salve from the market during that time, but otherwise laying low and resting.

Cost of doing such Thursday through Monday is 20 silvers/ 10 coppers total plus 57 gp for the salve.

Andrej said...

meant to say 30 silvers... sorry

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'm good. Got my bullwhip!)

Nine-toes said...

I know we're at an inn, but should we post watches anyway?

Andrej said...

Is there something specific that concerns you, Ninetoes?

Ahmet said...

Ordinarily I'd say of course not, but now that you've said it...

Alexis said...

Okay, I'll work up the next post. It'll take a bit.

Tell me, is anyone feeling the annoyance of counting change yet? Or the principles of having to pay and pay and pay?

Nine-toes said...

Yes, paying for stuff is annoying, but real life has given me excellent practice.

Ahmet said...

I find the micromanagement a little tedious, but I'm not really a details-oriented guy. I would rather pay x per day and be done with it. (Love Andrej's meal plan.)

Alexis said...

There's a very easy solution if the fiddling change becomes tiresome.

Overpay everything.

Nine-toes said...

Oh, I hope that's allowed! I've been doing that so long as I have the coin to spare.

Andrej said...

It is tedious even for me, but I take on the task of doing meals etc... to keep things moving. I'm starting to notice when lodgings in one city are a silver piece more than in others and scanning inn menus for deals. I probably couldn't tell you what a big mac costs today in the McDonald's two miles from where I'm sitting, but I know without looking what goat chops in Oldenburg cost in Alexis's earth, 1650. I'm not sure what to think about that.

Nine-toes said...

That the imaginary food in Oldenburg is better than McDonalds.

Andrej said...

Far worse then fiddling with the spending of the coins is updating encumbrance. Hate it.

Alexis said...

I am sorry about the encumberance. I wanted to investigate that; would it be any easier if it could be kept track of in excel?

I think if there was something along the lines of writing out a bit of equipment and the number, an automatic weight popped up in the next cell, that would be great. Terrific programming issue, though.

Alexis said...

Ah, meant to say the next post is up.

Andrej said...

I do manage it in excel. The coins pose a small annoyance that I could fix given the inclination. The annoying part is the kabuki dance I go through to get a legible table onto blogger six times a day as I update my equipment. If I could post the excel to google docs, that would help.

Alexis said...

Please don't post it six times a day. I just don't look at it that often.

If there's free access to the google you post, then post it there and put the link on your blog.

And for heaven's sake - and this is for all of you - COMPLAIN about these things. There's some things I don't want to fix, but I can't begin to address problems if I don't know about them.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: my knee hurts, Alexis.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Soak it with your head and three cloves of garlic, Silvius. It will feel better)