Thursday, November 3, 2011

Learning About M. Devereaux

Monday, August 25, 1650

 Weather:  cool, with cloudy conditions, no rain and a gentle breeze.

Four days pass uneventfully.  The party is free to heal, if any of that needs doing, rest, attend church, become more familiar with Engelke and in general rest.  Remember that food consumption is only a pound a day, and that there are no costs beyond the inn rooms and stabling, unless you want a shave or a bath or something like that.

There was a terrific storm on Thursday afternoon, with high winds, an immense deluge of rain in only an hour (nearly three inches) and airborne spray off the sea.  Engelke faces the Dollart, however, and is well protected when the wind blows from the north or northwest, so the storm was mostly just very interesting, being blown away from the town.

Behind Engelke, I should say, there are no forests; the land is a collection of scrubby mounds of earth and sand, and there are even a few dunes here and about that grow and shrink over time.  There is some cultivation, but most of the hinterland has none at all, particularly north of the town, and what there is extends in the direction of Leer.  There is some hunting that the townspeople participate in this time of year, for the dunes are loaded with grouse living off the wild seed that grows there, and while the season of autumn begins to deepen the birds are fat.

Come Monday morning, whomever wishes to pay to enter the old walled town may do so; the price for looking up the name you want is a single gold piece, not one each.  But you are quite surprised when you are told by the records scribe, "Michel Devereaux?  Of course I know him.  He's still alive, don't you know?  Used to be a famous citizen of the town, but those days are well past now - don't imagine most know of him any more.  Mad as a hatter, lives by himself in the north of town, upon Tutelborg lane near the Hieve swamp.  Little two-story house, stands by itself ... sure you won't have trouble finding it."

One more view of the house, from the front

390 comments:

1 – 200 of 390   Newer›   Newest»
Nine-toes said...

I'll spring for the gold and the silver piece.

"Might I ask where he was buried so I may pay my respects?"

Alexis said...

Nine-toes - want to read that post again?

Nine-toes said...

He's still alive. Ah. In my defense, it was a short sentence to miss.

Damn.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius will pick up a cheap bottle of wine to give to Mr. devereaux when/if we meet him.

"Let us pay him a visit. I, for one, love the rantings of a madman."

(OOC: Alexis, I really don't mind the details of keeping track of each copper. I keep a note of expenses and update my sheet periodically. Not a bother at all)

Andrej said...

(OOC: teacher's pet. ;) )

Andrej pays his silver at the gate with the others and is dressed in his priestly attire.

"This is fortunate. I feared the boatswain dead and our trail a cold one. Perhaps his mind and soul are burdened with past sins needing cleansing and confession."

Andrej departs for the north end of town to find the house described above, stopping along the way for Silvius's cheap wine if he is still so inclined.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: funny, Andrej! But now after seeing your character sheet, I am feeling that my teacher's pet statuary is endangered! Damn, dude!)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet joins the stampede to Devereaux's house.

Andrej said...

(OOC: I'm an engineer by training and the man said track encumbrance, so I track motherfucking encumbrance ;) )

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: I'm still laughing.)

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, I'm sure, is joining.

It will take some time to get directions and find your way there ... and ultimately to pick out the appropriate house. It is three miles northeast of Engelke. the Hieve marsh is a boggy, sandy depression surrounding a natural slough about three quarters of a mile across. The weather holds and although it turns overcast and the wind picks up, there's no rain.

The house is quite small, quite remote. There's no sign of any cultivation around it, and barely even a track leading up to the door ... your feet sink into small eskers of sand a foot deep here and about.

No one said anything about horses, so I assume you are on foot.

The house looks abandoned; it hasn't been painted in at least a decade, the unhooked shutters are swinging in the moderate breeze. The branches swing around the house and there are brief gusts.

You come to within fifty yards of the front door. Please give one action at a time at this point (don't describe the seven things you are doing, and wait to see what happens before giving your conclusion).

Alexis said...

(OOC: worse, he's an aeronautics engineer. He can make a puppy fly if he has to)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - I'm in a meeting for the rest of the afternoon.)

I'll tag along with the group.

Andrej said...

(OOC: actually electrical, but not a bad guess given what you know about me Alexis... I can still make that puppy fly, though. Here, hold these two wires...)

Alexis said...

(OOC: one in each hand, obviously)

What do you do?

Andrej said...

Andrej take shis friends aside, "Please allow me to take the lead if you will, brothers. I'm hoping Deveraux is of a mind to confess past sins and will grant him that. He shall, in this manner, help us put to rest the spirit of LeBeau."

If agreed, Andrej approaches the door with the party lagging a few steps behind.

Silvius Volundr said...

Loki is back in my room, guarding my spear.

Silvius puts one hand on his handaxe, not pulling it from his belt yet, lest he appear threatening. He approaches the nearest window to peer in, taking the most direct route to do so.

(OOC: we are indeed fortunate that Andrej allows us to work within 2 digits of the decimal, in that case. Most of those guys go out 7!)

Alexis said...

Andrej and Nine-toes, who I'll judge in his absence is staying close, come within three feet of the door just as Silvius moves about seven feet from the nearest window. At that point Nine-toes will tell everyone not to move.

(GCI: I play a rule that thieves have an automatic ability to detect traps, whether they are supposedly looking or not. Unlike Gygax, I don't believe it takes ten minutes to see that something is wrong. It might take ten minutes to find a mine, but an experienced soldier will recognize when a field probably has been mined...thus I presume a thief, assassin or monk is always looking)

Nine-toes can see (written in this way because he's said he's hung up) that the doorknob is made of glass that is intended to shatter once grabbed (he recognizes the trick), that the apparent door hinges are not actually attached to the door and that the boot mat just in front of the door is in fact alive. "I just saw it move," he says.

Andrej said...

Andrej has no armor, is dressed as a priest and his maces are in his pack, which he typically carries.

Alexis said...

Those are the traps he can see with his 20% detection ability.

Andrej said...

Andrej nods to his friend Nine-toes, thanking him and blessing him and thanking God for his sharp eyes.

"Do you sense a curse here as well, brother... like when we came upon the wreck of the Pale?"

Alexis said...

Have faith, O Andrej; the DM will mention it if it's there.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Regarding your take on trap detecting, I like it. A lot of Gygax's duration and time rules always struck me as designed to burn time in the dungeon, where it was a precious resource. The sort of timekeeping that he proposed as necessary was often ignored in games I both played and ran.)

Andrej said...

Andrej will motion to Ahmet to make a circuit of the house and indicate that he, Ninetoes and Silvius should saty put. What does Silvius see from his vantage?

Alexis said...

Silvius can only see the window about eight feet to the right of the door. There's a crack in the lower pane. That's about it. There is no light coming from within.

Alexis said...

(OOC: it's mostly that I see the phrase 'I check for traps' somewhat equivalent to 'I open my eyelids.' Of course the thief checks for traps!)

Andrej said...

Assuming that Ahmet is willing, I'll await further action until he can do a circuit of the house.

Silvius Volundr said...

"Mad as a garter, but clever like a fox..." Mutters Silvius. I will stand fast until Ninetoes learns more.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet does a circuit of the house. Naturally he occasionally glances at the house to see if he can see anyone inside, but most of his attention is directed to the surrounding area -- if anyone is lurking about outside.

(OOC: I didn't say that I grabbed anything else, so Ahmet will have what he had last time -- no armor, and just daggers for weapons.)

Alexis said...

On getting three quarters of the way around the house, Ahmet and everyone in the party will hear loud cackling coming from inside.

Then, right after,

"That's right!" shouts a male voice, scratchy with and mauled by age. "Come and get it! I'm ready for you bastards! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

Ahmet said...

Ahmet completes his circuit and joins the others.

(OOC: Did I see a back door or other means of entry other than the obviously trapped front door?)

Alexis said...

There was no back door. There is one window on each side of the house.

I forgot to mention that the 'second floor' would be the size of one room, perhaps 8 feet by 8 feet. The main floor would be 15 x 20 feet.

Silvius Volundr said...

"Now you can go take his confession, Brother Andrej."

Ahmet said...

Ahmet reports what he saw -- or lack thereof -- to the others.

"How about one of you try to talk some sense into the crazy old bastard," Ahmet mutters to his companions, "while I crash through one of those windows and gut him like a fish?"

Alexis said...

At that point, like a wave breaking over your brain matter, you all get the distinct sense that there is a very valuable, very desirable red gem inside the house.

In fact, it is inside a pot filled in peat, at the top of the stairs on the second floor, inside the house.

Silvius Volundr said...

Recalling the tale of the cursed gem, Silvius beats a hasty retreat away from the house until he can no longer sense its presence.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Damn.

That's it for me today, fellas. Tackle this tomorrow)

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: holy shit! that was a shocker!)

Andrej said...

Andrej shoots a look at Silvius then regards Ahmet, "Let us try it without the gutting, first."

Andrej shouts back, "Michel Deveraux, I am Brother Andrej of Cummana; a priest in the service of the Roman church. These men are my companions. We mean you no harm but I see that your doorway is trapped. Could we talk some, perhaps? I have questions for you regarding the ship's carpenter Lebeau whom you knew long ago upon the Pale."

Andrej said...

(OOC: Totally missed Alexis's post about the gem, but my last post still stands when we pick up tomorrow. Take it easy guys.)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet, already used to the sight of Silvius fleeing, doesn't even blink at his companion's retreat.

When Andrej starts talking, Ahmet creeps around to one of the windows and peers inside.

Silvius Volundr said...

Good one, Ahmet!

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes calls to Mr. devereaux:

"Good sir! I understand completely your distress! You think us robbers, and no doubt no word of mine will dissuade you. But we have come on a mission from the unquiet spirit of Robert LeBeau, your friend. His spirit still walks the earth, and he shall forever if you will not help us. Keep the gem and its curse if you wish, but tell us where Robert's bones are buried and we shall leave you in peace. Do not damn him to an eternity of unrest. I beseach you, say only where we may find his bones, and give them burial."

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: Well done, Ninetoes!)

Andrej said...

"I suspect Monsieur Deveraux lacks the faculties to appreciate your earnest intentions, Nine-toes."

Nine-toes said...

"I don't doubt you are right, Elder Brother, but I wanted to make the attempt."

Ninetoes begins loading the crossbow.

Alexis said...

"CHICKEN, are you?" screams the man from inside. "AFRAID of an old man?

Hind it, you bastards, run back to town and GET YOUR FRIENDS!

I'm ready for you! I'll take on as many as YOU BRING!"

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes continues to crank the crossbow.

Is there a chimney to this house? What material is the roof made of?

Alexis said...

(OOC: Try to keep the out of campaign comments in brackets, Silvius)

No matter how far Silvius runs, he realizes that he 'knows' where the gem is, and how valuable it is. He can't run from that. Nor from the knowledge that it would probably buy a hundred horses, or a huge ship, with a crew of men to guide it, or the whole city of Engelke.

Alexis said...

The chimney appears to have broken down; it is on the side of the house, the crumbled top about ten feet off the ground, on the side opposite the small second floor room. It appears to be brick. The rest of the house is certainly wooden, the cracks of which appear to be heavily tarred and sanded. The eternal damp weather of this area (there were a couple of fogs over the past few days) would make this hard to burn down.

Andrej said...

"Ninetoes, may I make use of your staff? I seem to have left mine behind in Engelke?"

Nine-toes said...

Hands Andrej his staff, then resumes loading. Let me know when I'm at 3/4.

Andrej said...

"Do not strike to kill, friends. The old man's mind is no doubt poisoned and we need information fist and foremost. Let me see if I can clear the way."

Andrej approaches the door with the monk's staff, standing about 8 feet or so away. From here he will strike the "boot mat" in front, hoping to fling it from the doorstep with the staff.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'm guessing we're not who we think he is.)

Does Ahmet make it to the window, and if so, can he see anything through it? Can he get through the window, or is it too high off the ground?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Er... we're not who he thinks we are, I mean!)

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, you may consider the crossbow loaded, or at three quarters, as you prefer. It can remain loaded for ten or twelve rounds at a time without worrying the sinew.

Andrej will have to roll a d20.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius, realizing that the cursed gem has left its imprint in his mind and that there is no fleeing it, turns around and decides to take the matter head-on.

'Do not strike to kill?' he wonders to himself as he eyes his handaxe. He shoves the weapon into its belt and grabs a hammer. Maybe a knot on the head of the old man will be enough to control him without slaying him. He hefts his shield and drops his pack (OOC: assuming he has it) to hasten his feet and runs back toward the house.

He watches as Andrej attempts to set off any traps as he approaches.

Alexis said...

Ahmet, the window appears painted over on the inside in black. It is about 18 inches in diameter and about 4 and a half feet above the ground. There's no latch - it is not designed to open.

Andrej said...

D20: 9

(If this is a to-hit roll, +1 for a total of 10 and 5+1 for 6 total dmg)

Alexis said...

Silvius never got more than about ten yards. Weapon change made, pack dropped, you are but 18 feet behind Andrej as he attempts to flip the mat from in front of the door.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet looks around for a good-sized rock that will shatter the window, but for now he'll wait and see how the priest's approach goes.

Alexis said...

I've added a graphic to the post to present everyone's position. Please tell me if it isn't accurate.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Looks good to me.)

Alexis said...

Upon attempting to flip away the mat, it curls up and avoids Andrej's staff, so that he misses. It then puffs up about 150% of its original size, develops a mouth, growls, and attacks Andrej's leg.

Andrej must roll a d6 for initiative.

Ahmet, the dagger you have has a handle made for smashing windows.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: Map looks good to me as well)

Alexis said...

(OOC: even though you're 'yellow'?)

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: Was that shit by design? That sucks.)

Nine-toes said...

I'm fine with the map.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Perfect, both the image and Silvius being yellow.)

Andrej rolls a 2 for initiative.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Couldn't resist)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I would prefer a rock, so I can throw it through the window from a few feet away. To jump through a four and a half foot high window I would think Ahmet would need a running start.)

Ahmet, unaware that Andrej is in combat with a... door mat, does his best to follow the action inside and out front. He holds a good-sized rock in his right hand and draws a dagger to hold in his left. He's ready at a moment's notice to throw the rock through the window, switch the dagger to his right hand, and then do a running dive through the smashed window.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Given the location of the chimney and the blacked-out window, Ahmet is "following the action" mostly by listening.)

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius continues his BRAVE charge forward.

Alexis said...

Andrej, the furry creature gets a '2' also. We both attack simultaneously. However, Nine-toes has a 16 dexterity, as does Silvius ... so either of them can attack first. Silvius has his hammer in his hand already, and Nine-toes' crossbow is loaded (so I assume, since he did not specify that it would be 3/4)

Nine-toes said...

I shoot the doormat, with a prayer that I don't hit Elder Brother.

Alexis said...

Ahmet, there's a shortage of rocks.

There's a sill, so you could easily boost yourself up and through, once the glass was broken.

As far as preferring to be a few feet away, I understand that. But all you see is sand.

Andrej said...

Elder Brother is diving the fuck out of the way, making for the right side of the house where the single window out front is located :)

Alexis said...

I'll need an attack roll, Nine-toes.

Silvius, your declaration to continue forward does not stop you from hurling your hammer if you choose.

Nine-toes said...

Roll: 11 + (Dex bonus?)

At least it wasn't a 1 or a 2.

Nine-toes said...

Sorry, damage roll

2d6 +2 = 12

Ahmet said...

Ahmet, seeing no rocks, instead clutches his dagger in his right hand, poised to smash it hilt-first through the window.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: Thanks for the heads-up, Alexis. That is exactly what I had in mind, but thought I may still be out of range.)

Silvius hurls his hammer at the mat, quickly drawing his hand axe immediately after and leaving his second hammer in his belt for later.

D20= 14 +1 for hammer deadliness +1 for Dex = 16.

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, your dexterity bonus gives you a +1 to hit with missile weapons. Thus, your roll is 12 - which hits AC 8. Your bolt skims the surface of the creature's fur and seems to cause no damage.

Waiting to hear from Silvius.

Ahmet, the window breaks, and for a split second you see an empty room that has a curtain hanging in a square, in the middle, from ceiling to floor. Then a piece of the window sill snaps out and catches you nastily in the collar bone, causing 1 hit point of damage.

Alexis said...

Silvius' hammer hits and the creature squeals in pain. Damage, Silvius?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I wasn't actually going to smash it yet... just making ready to do so.)

Alexis said...

You hear the old man inside, cackling and laughing himself fit to kill.

"LIKE my little pet? Like it? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

Silvius Volundr said...

d2-5= 3

Alexis said...

Damn, you're right, Ahmet. Caught me.

No damage. The thing springs out due to Silvius hitting the creature and his hammer then hitting the house. Window is still intact.

And I suppose the view inside was a premonition. Players get them sometimes.

Alexis said...

Silvius, the creature seems to have expired. And since you hit it before it's initiative came around, it gets no attack against Andrej.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Or perhaps his window wasn't painted over as completely as he had intended!)

Ahmet continues to wait, figuring that smashing through the window will likely escalate things into a fight to the death. Perhaps there's still time to reason with this old fool.

Nine-toes said...

Can a trap be disarmed in combat? Are we still in combat? If possible, Ninetoes attempts to disable the door trap.

Silvius Volundr said...

Careful to avoid the mat-thing, Silvius moves to recover his hammer.

Alexis said...

Ah. While identifying the presence of a trap, disarming one is a much more delicate and difficult procedure.

It will probably take you ten minutes to disable whatever the issue is with the hinges - since that isn't exactly clear. The doorknob can be disabled simply by not using the knob; it is intended to break in the user's hand when it is grabbed.

The doormat definitely seems to be dead.

Silvius handily picks up his hammer.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius will whack the doormat once more for good measure and then stow his hammer. He will be going with the hand axe from here with no thoughts of subdual any more.

Nine-toes said...

Sorry, I try to break down the door with my shoulder.

Alexis said...

Nine-toes breaking the door is tricky. It appears to have been hinged on the bottom, so that the moment he puts his shoulder against it, it falls directly forward underneath him, throwing him straight down into - what one might suppose - is the cellar. There he finds his body thrown against a set of spikes.

All told, Nine-toes gets off extremely lucky. He takes only 2 damage from the fall, and only 2 damage from a spike, clearly having twisted his body at the last moment to avoid them.

He's laying on his back, recovering a bit, staring up at the roof, when he hears a low growl.

Andrej and Silvius are not in the doorway, and can't see inside, but they can see the door flip forward and down. Thus they can guess what has happened to Nine-toes.

Nine-toes said...

What can I see? Can I get up?

Alexis said...

In a moment, Nine-toes. Tempo; I need to see what others do in the next twelve seconds.

Ahmet, you will hear the sound of the door falling forward and hitting ... something ... and probably Nine-toes calling out as he falls.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius hurries to the area where the trap was sprung. With his limited knowlege of what happened and how this trap is constructed, he eyes the hinges of the door looking to see if he thinks it could be hammered down or not.

Alexis said...

Waiting for Ahmet and Andrej.

Andrej said...

Andrej is smashing the front, right-side window with Nine-toes staff.

Ahmet said...

Hearing the door crashing open, Ahmet decides now is the time to act. He smashes the window with the hilt of his dagger, puts the dagger between his teeth, hoists himself up on the sill, and tumbles forward into the room, taking the dagger in his hand as he rolls to his feet!

Or at least, that's how it goes in his mind.

Alexis said...

Smashing the window with his staff, Andrej also avoids the piece of the sill which snaps out, intending to cause him damage. Ahmet's dagger breaks the window, but if he doesn't want his hands cut to hell, he spends the rest of the round cleaning the glass out of the way.

Silvius, before you can find the time to eye the hinges, you see that across the hole where Nine-toes has fallen through, there's a large wooden shield, about six feet wide and six feet high, surrounded on three sides by a curtain in the middle of the room. Silvius has just time to see eyes through a narrow slit in the shield just a few inches wide, and something with a point sticking through the slit aimed in the door's direction.

He has just time to roll two d6 in succession. Please tell me the results of each d6 roll, the first result and then the second.

Silvius Volundr said...

d6= 6
d6= 2

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, you roll over to find yourself facing a rottweiler.

It looks unhappy. And possibly hungry.

Before you can take any other action, you will have to roll a d6.

Andrej said...

Can Andrej likewise use the rest of the round to clear the window glass from the frame in preparation to enter?

"Ahmet, the room beyond the window may be trapped as well!" Andrej calls out to his comrade.

Alexis said...

Silvius. The first die, result 6, indicates that you are NOT surprised.

The second die is your initiative; your dexterity makes it a 3. I rolled a 1. You react first.

Alexis said...

Yes Andrej, we can assume you clean the glass from the window frame. But Ahmet being closer can also wipe the glass quickly off the sill, whereas Andrej will have to step closer, next round.

Alexis said...

Oh, Andrej can't know what Ahmet's doing, and Ahmet's next moves are at this point pre-determined ... I did warn people to take one action at a time.

Andrej said...

Understood. Thanks.

Silvius Volundr said...

Shield held high, Silvius lunges into the room to his right.

If the "something with a point sticking through the slit aimed in the door's direction" is a set trap, he hopes to get out of its trajectory.

If it is a live combatant, well, he has to take his chances.

His goal is eventually to flank whatever is behind the shield to let the others bum rush it.

Alexis said...

Sorry, Silvius, there might be a disconnect here - there's a hole beyond the door, which Ninetoes just fell in. (see figure) You can't charge right without having to leap from the doorway to the floor that is beyond the hole - about five feet, as the case may be.

Alexis said...

I should add that Silvius can see Nine-toes, and can hear the rottweiler ... but can't see the dog.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: What does the brown vertical line represent -- the curtain?)

Ahmet spends the rest of the round clearing away glass, then attempts his hoist-tumble-stand maneuver.

Silvius Volundr said...

Ah. And jumping into crossbow fire sounds unappealing.

"Ninetoes found a pit. Doesnt look good, Andrej! He arent alone!"

Silvius will duck aside, out of harm's way, wishing he had the rope in his pack.

Andrej said...

"Lift him up or jump in to help, but don't just stand there, man!"

Silvius Volundr said...

Alexis, does it appear that I could grab the edge of the pit and lower myself down, perhaps swinging a bit to vault past the spikes? Or is that too far-fetched?

Nine-toes said...

5

Alexis said...

The figure is a cut away version of the house looking in the direction of Ahmet. The brown line is the 6 x 6 shield in front of Silvius. The curtain would therefore in a U-shape around the shield, on each side and behind it, making a space (with the shield) of about six by six feet.

From Ahmet's point of view, he can't see the shield, so the curtain appears to be a circle.

Does that help?

Tempo at the moment: Silvius has an action; Nine-toes needs to roll a die 6; then there's a reaction to Silvius' action; then Ahmet hoists himself on the window and Andrej moves forward to see all this (and has about 10 seconds to do other things); while that is going on either the dog or Nine-toes will strike first, and Silvius will get his next action.

Andrej said...

(OOC: With only partial regret I must sign off now, gents. Partial, because while I'm digging the game very much I leave you to join my lovely wife for a weekend away... If you want to press on, feel free to run Andrej. He was intending on next checking the room beyond the window (particularly the floor) for any more traps then making his way into the house. Once there, he would see what was behind the curtain or react to what was going on. If all are in agreement, Butch can run Andrej for the remainder of today... I'd hate to see you all stop now on my account.)

Alexis said...

As Silvius ducks to one side, a crossbow bolt will flash out of the doorway, missing him completely.

Ahmet hoists himself up.

Andrej does not move forward, but shouts his line at Silvius.

Silvius shouts back. (I know, I know, but that's the order)

Nine-toes wins the initiative ... the dog moves to spring, leaps ... Nine-toes rolls a d20 to attack/stop the dog from attacking.

Nine-toes said...

Rolled a 13.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Have fun, Andrej!

I'll run him if you want, Alexis, or we can break until Monday. I'm going to be busy for the next couple hours, but will be back.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I won't run any of this without the whole party.)

Nine-toes can finish his action, Ahmet can finish climbing through the window, and Silvius can pick what he wants to do.

Andrej can poke his head through and check the floor. It seems hollow, but firm.

Alexis said...

Don't forget to roll damage in case you hit, Nine-toes. In this case you did.

Nine-toes said...

d3 for unarmed

3

Alexis said...

Sorry ... is Nine-toes using a weapon or his open hand?

Alexis said...

Nine-toes succeeds in hitting the door and stopping it from hitting him for one round. The dog is 'stunned,' but is still grappling with Nine-toes, who is underneath the dog but is so far unharmed.

Silvius?

Silvius Volundr said...

While this bastard is reloading, Silvius is going after him. Jump the pit and rush head on at the shield.

Alexis said...

At the shield directly, or to the left or right?

If there is a hole immediately in beyond the door, then that hole has to be at least as tall as the door and then possibly a bit more. The way I've drawn it, the distance is taller than the door. Call it 9 feet.

On the other hand, if the hole comes up to the wall on either side, then there's a three-foot leap to be made across the corner of the hole either to the left or right.

Silvius can make the leap to the shield, but he'll need a running start.

So when you say, 'jump the pit,' you mean?

Silvius Volundr said...

If i understand the situation correctly, jumping to the angle, left or right, may be a shorter jump.

I don't want to give this guy time to reload.

So I will jump tp the right, then take the most direct path to lump him up.

Alexis said...

Silvius easily makes that jump.

And the floor gives way.

Ahmet climbs through the window and tumbles onto the floor below it.

And the floor gives way.

Silvius, as it happens, lands on a solid beam, and it is only the floor beyond it that crashes. He can, therefore, due to his deterity, try to grab the beam, or fall with the floor - his choice. Silvius will take no damage if he succeeds in grabbing the beam, which he will do if he makes his dexterity check.

Ahmet will take 2 damage from the fall and four damage from landing on a piece of the floor when he hits. This will cause him to be stunned.

Nine-toes suffers 3 damage from the floor above falling down, a large piece of it landing on his leg. Because he has 13 hit points at the moment, however, he is NOT stunned.

Alexis said...

Oh, that will leave Nine-toes with 10 hit points, however.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I'm back! And stunned.)

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius opts to grab the beam and watches his hand axe (and shield?) fall to the basement below.

d20 = 6

He immediately looks for a safe place to drop.

Alexis said...

Silvius makes it. He catches himself, the axe and the shield both fall to the ground. There's a 1 in 20 chance the axe will break. Please roll that.

(GCI: I am considering giving Silvius a bonus for damage he did not take, but I'm worried about the precedent this will set. The dex check roll is a lot easier to make than a to-hit roll, so I am thinking about 5 x.p. times 7 damage ... really, it sounds like a good idea, I'm just not sure it is one. I'd like a vote, please, and arguments one way or the other if you have them)

At this point, we're done for the day; we need to pick this up where Andrej tells us what he's doing. Then it's the turn of whomever is in inside the curtain - the floor of which did NOT collapse, leaving a six-by-six foot 'island' in the middle of the house. One presumes a step of some kind leads to the second floor.

Nine-toes will then take an action, Silvius will take an action, and Ahmet will lay still and groan.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I would vote against giving out x.p. for not taking damage, only for bookkeeping/sanity purposes. And it could be extended ad infinitum -- what about the fighter who doesn't take damage because he's got such a low armor class? Or the cleric who doesn't take damage because he makes his saving throw? etc.)

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes will punch the dog.

(OOC I would vote for xp for not taking damage, since xp has been hard to come by so far, particularly if you're not very accurate. I'm fine either way, though.)

D20 roll: 4

I don't imagine that hit's anything, but

D3: 2 + 1 (alternate hit)

Silvius Volundr said...

d20 = 5

(OOC: I am in the middle on the XP award. I could have taken the hit for XP alone, yet decided to preserve myself to "accomplish the mission". That can create a conflict of interest and should likely be rewarded either way.

On the other hand, Ahmet is right; where does it stop? If you decide to adapt this rule, there needs to be boundaries and conditions. Certainly, avoiding damage due to low AC would not qualify.)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - I can definitely see Ahmet's point)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Nine-toes, don't worry about the roll, as it doesn't count. We're still in the round where Andrej has to give his action, and nothing else is real until he does.

As far as a limitation, I'd propose a situation where a specific roll is made which is NOT a combat roll, where failing that roll determines a definite amount of damage to occur right at that moment, and not possible damage resulting from some other circumstance or some other roll ultimately accomplished by some other force).

Such as, failing to win initiative gives someone the chance to be hit with a weapon? = no x.p.

Rolling a die that causes your character to wake up and not be hit with a sword? = no x.p. (because the sword hit isn't certain damage and relies on another roll)

Rolling a die that causes your character to take an action that failing would result in damage done by something that doesn't require a further die roll? = 5 x.p. per hit point.

That's where my head is, anyway)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I certainly don't feel so passionate about this that if we decide to do it I would fall on my sword -- and miss, taking no damage, earning x.p.!

In fact my argument is more from the DM's point of view. As a player, any chance to win x.p. is a good thing. I just see it as being a pain in the butt to keep track of, and a possible pandora's box of "why didn't I get x.p. for not..." type digressions.

But as I said, I could be swayed either way.)

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: From Ahmet's perspective, and a DM's, I also dont believe that there needs to be a hard and fast rule. Just a judgement call by the DM. Some base guidelines should be in place, but those guidelines should include the word "award".

An award is not necessarily to be expected. It is granted. Sometimes a kid does a great job in clss and is given an award by the teacher. Someimes his efforts are not noticed. I would be okay with such a ruling and would not need a detailed explanation as to why I got an award one day but not another.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Ahmet makes some good arguments, but I promise if he falls on his sword, he isn't going to miss!

I already discount a lot of damage received for X.P. because I presuppose that if it is from doing something dumb, ie intentionally, it doesn't get experience. If Sylvius had chosen to fall without attempting to grab the beam, he would have gotten no experience; if he had tried to grab the beam and missed, he would have gotten experience. That's why I think making a positive attempt and succeeding should be in some way as useful as making a positive attempt and failing.

However, since his dexterity will never improve, what exactly does more experience reward? If his level improves, his hit points will also and falling on the ground will have less % effect on him ... therefore it makes sense in terms of what is improved by the experience.

One thing, Sylvius ... you may be comfortable with a ruling system, but many of my players in my other campaigns definitely would not be. Believe it, what happens here on line is read by my other players and if I make the rule here, I had better damn well make the rule elsewhere. You all have influence over my other campaigns, and my other players have influence over this campaign. A precedent is set and must be carried everywhere - this has always been my policy)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Had to break this in half for length.

What I'm saying is that my players in general like to have things set in stone for what is and is not a rule granting; and I like it that way too. I don't have a problem with rules lawyering; judges must accept the fact of lawyers because that's what makes the system fair. If I propose a rule, it must follow set guidelines so everyone knows when it does and does not apply.

My experience with teachers, by the way, is that the favored certain people in the class, and that continued right on through to university very unfairly. This is not a guideline I want to follow.

I am still undecided. I will run it around the other parties at the offline running I have tomorrow. For the moment I haven't thought of or seen that crystal argument that cuts it one way or the other. I'm not really sure where I stand on this)

Alexis said...

(OOC: oh, I meant to say. It had never occurred to me before as an option until Sylvius was grabbing for the beam. So this idea is totally new to me.)

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: that is all understandable. I have no objections however this decision goes.)

Ahmet said...

Good morning!

I believe what we need to proceed is:

1) Andrej's action
2) The man behind the curtain's action
3) Then Nine-toes and Silvius give their actions while Ahmet lies stunned.

Right?

Alexis said...

That is correct, Ahmet

Andrej said...

(OOC: Hey guys, back from my weekend and felt great until I got to work. I'd say at least I have the game as a distraction, but today I'll only be able to participate for about an hour from now and tomorrow possibly not at all. I hat to do this, particularly where we are at, but have little choice in the matter. Sorry in advance.)

Andrej is shifting tactics. He attempts to climb up to the 2nd story of the house using the empty window frame and whatever else is at hand to aid in his climbing. He is an experienced mountaineer and will take 3 less damage from any fall.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Sometimes the bear gets you. No need to apologize.

We knew this was going to happen again and again. I will take advantage of the lull by directing my attentions to other things for the day, and we hope that Andrej's schedule will clear for tomorrow. I'd rather wait than push the issue. I certainly have work of my own to do.

Take another day, fellas. We'll see how tomorrow goes)

Alexis said...

The piece that stuck out from the window will afford purchase for getting Andrej's hands upon the edge of the roof above him; but since it will overhang slightly, Andrej cannot simply power his way up onto his elbows, and then onto the roof. He will need something - a climbing pick or a grapple for example. It will also take a strength check; shouldn't be too difficult given Andrej's strength, but perhaps it has been too many rich meals at the Inn.

Finally, if you have the means, it will take three rounds to climb onto the roof, and this round will be taken up getting a tool ready, while Andrej is still on the ground.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: we are waiting for Andrej?)

Alexis said...

(OOC: yes, I'm afraid we are. I know its inconvenient as all hell, but life is like that. If it were possible for him to just climb the wall, if he were a thief for example, I'd move the combat ahead four rounds, but at the moment I am stuck with him asking to do something I can't be sure he can do. He has mountaineering experience, but that requires a tool and I don't know if he has one. Even if its on his equipment list, did he bring it with him?

In the meantime, I took the opportunity to write a really long post. And if I don't hear back from Andrej today, I'll make a ruling and we'll certainly move this tomorrow.

Part of the issue of being online, I'm afraid, and all of us doing thing while being responsible to other people)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - I have no issue with the occasional lulls. The quality of this campaign is worth it in my opinion, as are my fellow players.)

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: no worries! I know how it is. I will go read your really long post in the meantime.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: I'm back and will do my best to be around today)

Alexis, could Andrej climb through the window, onto the sill, and leap far enough to reach the curtian/ shield/ floor beneath these two?

Alexis said...

The distance is about 9 feet, so probably not; in any event the window is only 18 inches in diameter.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes will try to climb out of the basement to where the attacker with the crossbow is.

Nine-toes said...

Sorry, Ninetoes climbs out to where the crossbowman is.

Alexis said...

Don't you think Nine-toes ought to fight the dog first?

Nine-toes said...

Since your last description of him was 'Stunned' (quotes yours) I was hoping I could avoid him, but if not I'll try to smack the dog, so to speak.

Alexis said...

The dog is only stunned for 12 seconds. That might be enough time for you to perhaps climb up the outside wall (dogs can leap), but the inside "platform" that is left behind after the collapse appears to be suspended from the ceiling.

In any case, Nine-toes has already stated his action; roll to hit, please.

Nine-toes said...

Sure, that's the one.

9 (continuing my grand tradition of not hitting things)

damage 2.

Alexis said...

Yes, that's a miss.

The old man is cackling and laughing and calling you all "Fools!"

Calling Andrej's move void for the moment as he studies the problems here, I need a move from Silvius.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: sorry guys...never got an alert. Also, the old mam is prolly right... We are fools.)

Silvius drops into the basement to aid Ninetoes against the dog. He attempts to avoud the spikes asbhe does so and pulls a hammer from his belt.

Alexis said...

Silvius clambers over the boards and debris from the ceiling to reach the dog. Ahmet shakes off the stun.

The old man makes a tear in the curtain and sticks a crossbow into the space. He fires at Nine-toes, missing completely. You hear the old man scream in fury.

The rottweiler is a flurry of snapping teeth and growls, but fails to land any attacks on Nine-toes, who adeptly stays out of reach.

Ahmet can take an action; Nine-toes is more or less trapped in melee, though he is fast and could probably skip away for a round without being attacked ... though of course the dog can run as fast as he. Silvius is in a position to attack the dog.

Obviously, he is not required to do so.

Alexis said...

Andrej, you are outside; you hear the dog, you hear the old man, you hear shouting and Silvius probably crying out "I'm coming, I'm coming!" or something to that effect. Probably also some sort of phraseology from Nine-toes conveying frustration.

Your action?

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes attacks the dog when it's his turn.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Just confirming: I'm in the basement with Ninetoes, Silvius, and Snoopy. Can I see them, or is it too dark, or somehow segmented? Can I see the central platform that did not collapse into the floor, and can I see a ladder or stairs?)

Alexis said...

That's now, Nine-toes.

Andrej said...

Andrej will hang-drop from the window into the basement.

Nine-toes said...

19 to hit

rolled a 3 + 1 (alternate hit) damage.

Ninetoes praises the Trinity that he actually hit something!

Alexis said...

It is day, the door is wide open and Ahmet can see perfectly except for the hanging dust in the air. The cellar is now one large space, the floor covered in broken timber. There is no ladder or stairs out of the 'pit,' which the cellar has become. The walls are lined with wood, and the doorway is about 9 feet above the wood debris.

The central hanging platform with the old man is about two feet from the back wall, opposite the door, about six feet in diameter, and also about nine feet off the floor.

Alexis said...

Nine-toes does do damage! Waiting for Silvius' action to describe the full effects.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius attacks the dog with his hammer, while shouting, "ware the crossbowman behind the shield!"

D20=3+1=4
D2-5=2

Ahmet said...

(OOC: How far away are Silvius, Ninetoes, and the dog, and how far away is the hanging platform? Can I see the old man, or does the curtain hang down so low I can't see him?)

Alexis said...

It's understandable your needing to get up to speed, Ahmet.

You can't see the old man. Silvius and Nine-toes are about 5 feet away, fighting in the corner between the window you came in and the front door. The hanging platform, as I said, is 9 feet above you, and about 6 feet ahead of you.

Silvius,

You miss awfully.

However, Nine-toes did stun the dog. It reverts back into the corner, crying out and growling. You'll both have to move in on it to kill it (there won't be enough room for a third attacker).

Alexis said...

Nine-toes and Silvius, don't roll yet. I still need an answer from Ahmet and Andrej as to what they're doing.

Alexis said...

Oops, missed Andrej's comment.

Andrej, just to see how well you do that, being a cleric, please make a dexterity check. The floor is covered in loose boards and probably nails.

Alexis said...

Deleting that roll from Nine-toes, just to keep appearances simple.

Silvius Volundr said...

Alexis, with the dog backed up, does it appear to be less hostile? I mean, in our estimation, do we need to press the attack or can it be driven off based on what we can observe?

(OOC: need an action?)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Alas, Silvius, Ahmet isn't quite as sentimental.)

Ahmet throws his dagger at the cowering dog.

D20: 16... I don't think my 14 DEX gives me a to-hit bonus with thrown

D4: 3, +1 for a thrown weapon = 4 (+3 for Strength, or is that for only handheld weapons?)

Alexis said...

No, Silvius, the dog appears to be much MORE hostile.

Alexis said...

The dagger does do 4 damage; a thrown weapon doesn't get a strength bonus.

Ahmet, could you please put your character's background on a different page of your character blog, or otherwise, so I can check special abilities you have?

Alexis said...

(OOC: Andrej appears to be really hooped this week; I wasn't so good myself, yesterday - wouldn't have been able to play anyway)


I'm going to rule that Andrej makes his dex check, just for simplicity.

The old man shouts and cackles and urges his dog "Messer" on ... you hear things moving about up there. But he takes no action.

The dog is growling, but takes no action either.

Nine-toes or Silvius approaching the dog can swing at it; Ahmet has no weapon in his hand at the moment, so I have to rule that Silvius and Nine-toes dexterities give them first crack if they want it.

Silvius Volundr said...

On that case, Silvius advances and brings his hammer down hard on the dog's head.

D20= 19+1=20
D4+1=4

Alexis said...

Well hit!

Nine-toes?

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes swings.

20 (next roll was an 8)
2 + 1 dmg

Alexis said...

The 2+1 damage is 3; the natural 20 makes this multiplied by 2, so the total damage is 6.

(GCI: A number of carnivorous mammals with a 3 intelligence, such as dogs, tigers, boars, bears and so on, can continue to fight below zero hit points. In fact, this 'last gasp' is so strong that the creature will berserk, which in this case does not mean that the creature attacks twice, but rather that the creature attacks even if it has been stunned. Said creature doesn't actually 'die' until -6 hit points, just as a demi-human in my world doesn't 'die' until -10 hit points. In this case, Silvius had reduced the dog to minus 3 hit points, so it might have attacked ... but Nine-toes certainly killed it)

I will give Andrej and Ahmet a little while to say what they're doing this round.

Nine-toes said...

Cool!

Andrej said...

Dex check (d20): 9

Alexis said...

thank you Andrej, that's comforting. You still have time for 12 seconds of action.

Andrej said...

(OOC: again, sorry for the continued absences, it has been a busy week... yesterday working offsite with no internet access)

Andrej will retrieve his maces from his pack, and if he has time enough approach and aatack the dog. For efficiency's sake I'll do attack and damage... if attacking is not possible this round, discard them:

1st attck: 17 to hit/ 4 dmg
2nd attk: 4 to hit/ 6 dmg

Andrej said...

sorry, again, missed that the dog was dead.

Andrej to party, "Who goes up first?" Andrej leans over and makes as if to boost somebody up to the platform with his hands.

"Somebody needs to provide cover fire."

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes climbs up to the crossbowman when it's his turn.

"Glad you made it Elder Brother! You wouldn't happen to have any recipes for pit bull, would you?"

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius leaves the monk and cleric to their climb. He seeks the stairs leading from the basement and sprints for them.

Andrej said...

"I generally eat them raw."

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Alexis, my special abilities are already on my blog post, but you have to click on "Read more" at the bottom.)

Ahmet will yank his dagger out of the dog's corpse, then -- since we have to see what's behind it anyway -- will pick up the dead dog and attempt to hurl it through the curtain.

Alexis said...

Thank you Ahmet.

One action at a time, please.

Back up, please. Silvius and Nine-toes have just killed the dog; Andrej has pulled his maces out and reacted in surprise at the dog's death. Ahmet, your dagger was not in the dog's corpse ... it merely hit and bounced away. I will rule that you recover it.

Obviously, since the dog only died about four seconds ago, there isn't time to pick it up.

In the meantime, you'll hear the old man scream the name of his dog, and again fire a crossbow - at Silvius this time. The old man is visible to both Ahmet and Andrej for just a moment between the curtain and the wooden 'shield.'

The old man rolls and hits AC 4 ... but since Silvius' back is to him, he gets +2 for attacking from behind (I can't remember, isn't Silvius not wearing his armor? In any event, the shield isn't counted). Silvius is hit for 7 damage.

NOW everyone can take another action ... except Silvius of course, who is quite obviously stunned.

Nine-toes said...

I climb up to the mad crossbowman.

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 390   Newer› Newest»