Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Evening of the 2nd Day, Neuwark

Tuesday, August 5, 1650

Evening.  Dinner has been eaten, and a baptism performed in the chapel.  There are 20 stones on the top of the lighthouse, hoisted by the unsupported crane.  The net for the supported crane has been laid out and concealed, with food upon it (I will need a % roll from Nine-toes for setting the trap).  The counterweight has been created using the other crane's net, and now sits, full of pieces of wood, on the top of the lighthouse as well, linked to the net on the ground.

Silvius and Nine-toes stand at the top, along with Zanfrancesco, Gerhard, Hans and Rupert.  Hans is tending the lighthouse, spreading the oil over the wood.  In order to lift the stones and drop them, Silvius is stripped of his armor, and neither is carrying a weapon (they are laying next to their feet, if needed).  The crossbow is 3/4 loaded, but will be difficult to use.

As the sun sets it only now occurs to people that the space immediately under the lighthouse will be the darkest area, and difficult to see.  This becomes more pronounced as Hans lights the wood, and the fire spreads and casts its glow on the island.

Before anything else happens, please correct errors or forgotten points.

UPDATE:

141 comments:

Silvius Volundr said...

So is Silvius. Baptise away!

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: sorry Alexis. That should have posted in the previous post.)

"Gerhard, when you hear Andrej shout, find yourself a burning brand to drop. We may need a little more light down there."

Alexis said...

(OOC: No problem Silvius. I'm a little jammed up today; my attention this morning is going to be distracted)

Consider both Silvius and Nine-toes baptised.

Nine-toes said...

Welcome, brother of the faith!

Here's my trap roll: I shit you not, 14.

Whoo hoo!!!!!!!!

Silvius Volundr said...

That ought to launch the crab over the lighthouse... Or up onto the platform with us. :/

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - Alexis, I offered my crossbow to Ahmet on the previous thread before I saw this one was started. He may use it for the battle..)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Also two more daggers, a throwing ax and a spear from Silvius.)

Ahmet thanks Silvius and Nine-toes for their weapons, gives the reinforced crane one more check, wishes them luck and joins Andrej inside the doorway at the base of the tower. He sets the crossbow and spear against the wall along with his shield, sticks the two daggers and ax through his belt, and takes his pick ax up in both hands, ready for the crab.

Andrej said...

Andrej will wait topside until the crab is in sight, actually, so that he may bless the faithful before taking up his position with his spiritually misguided comrade Ahmet.

OOC: Andrej may bless up to 12 individuals, so anybody of the faith that is present is welcome to receive a blessing. +1 to all hit rolls and morale is raised (don't know the specifics of the latter but assume Alexis does).

Realizing our oversight and hoping we have time before the crab shows up Andrej looks and asks about for anything wooden to burn below to provide us some light.

OOC: Andrej, being part orc, should not be impacted by the lack of light while below.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet will stay at the bottom... he'll be outside the doorway if necessary, for a better view.

Nine-toes said...

My thanks for the blessing, Father.

(OOC - how should Ninetoes address Andrej and the friar? 'Andrej' doesn't seem formal enough for the man, er, half-orc who inducted me into salvation.)

Andrej said...

Brother Andrej or Andrej is fine. We are boon companions.

Alexis said...

Andrej is right. For one thing, he's not technically a 'Father' yet.

Zanfrancesco is the other other catholic, and he will take advantage of the bless. The other three NPC's are Lutherans.

Alexis said...

As before, not long after the lighthouse is lit, the crab appears. It climbs up the dike near where Silvius and Nine-toes judge the pool to be (the others haven't seen it yet).

It is definitely moving slower tonight. Whereas yesterday it rushed the tower, it only walks forward tonight. Lacking a leg, it's gait is not as precise as the night before ... the shell rocks as it moves forward. Nor does it rush the lighthouse.

It does come in a straight line towards the lighthouse, picking up speed a bit as it moves forward. But not moving as fast, it reaches the shadow the lighthouse leaves on the ground and comes but a few steps in and then stops.

(dice rolling)

The crab moves to stop at a place close to where the net is ... but it is impossible to tell in the darkness if any of the crab's legs are actually over the net. Ahmet or Andrej have the best chance of telling - and (rolling) Ahmet the better chance. Could you both roll a d20 as a wisdom check, please, Andrej adding 4 to the die roll and Ahmet subtracting 4.

Andrej said...

Would not Andrej be able to see the crab clearly with his darkvision?

Ahmet said...

Joy... I rolled a 6, minus 4, makes 2.

Alexis said...

Neither the net nor the crab's feet have any heat emitting from them; what Andrej has is infravision, which detects heat. The crab's main body is hot, but that doesn't translate to being able to see if it actually is over the net or not.

By chance, Ahmet happens to be in a better place to see (strictly a random fifty/fifty roll).

Ahmet, you believe that two of the crab's feet are where the net is. The crab seems to be hesitating at the moment. It is not moving forward to eat the food on the net.

Andrej said...

Andrej rolled 8 + 4 for 12.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - be vewy vewy qwiet)

Andrej said...

Wait it out. Two legs gets us nothing. It is simply more cautious now.

Andrej said...

Alexis, did we happen to notice if the net was still attached as the crab made its way over the dike and toward the lighthouse?

OOC: Also, can I get some clarification on what "OOC" comments are? I was a little confused yesterday.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet peers through the darkness toward the crab, hands tight on his pick ax. He thinks the beast has two legs on the net... but can't be sure. And having seen the ineffectiveness of the net yesterday, he's not sure two legs are enough. He waits and watches.

Andrej said...

OOC: Specifically, what constitutes something being "In campaign" or "In character" vs. out. Thanks.

Alexis said...

That's a good question. No, the net is not now attached to the crab.

(OOC = Out Of Campaign; these would be any comments in reference to something that A) your characters are not asking or know about; B) references having nothing whatsoever to do with D&D; C) general inquiries about rules that do not have anything to do with what's going on now; and D) jokes, humour and offhand comments stated between players. Other similar things might also apply)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Catching up on the questions asked ... something which applies to the character or the present events do not have to be stipulated as OOC. As for format, if you could please put your OOC comments in brackets, like mine is right now, and not out of brackets, as Andrej's previous OOC comment does not include, it would be helpful when reading through ten or more comments when catching up on missed details)

Andrej said...

OOC: Thanks.

Andrej waits, both maces at the ready.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Sorry, brackets from now on.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: pokes Andrej)

The crab shifts, pulling one of its forelegs back.

Andrej said...

(OOC: shit!)

When Andrej rolled a 12 for his Wisdom check (making it), did we assume he perceived the same thing as Ahmet?

Alexis said...

Yes, we may assume that Andrej and Ahmet are both quite clear on the location of the net and the crab's relation to it. The people on top are too high to tell, and are pretty much dependent on a signal from the ground.

I'm presuming there is no burning log at the bottom at the moment, as the crab would not approach if there were.

Silvius, Nine-toes, you both judge that if you took a shot, you might be able to hit the crab with a stone; you guess the crab is somewhere over the net; but then again, either of you might be wrong.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes stays very still.

Andrej said...

Alexis, could you explain in greater detail Andrej and Ahmet's relative position in the tower doorway to the crab and which side of the net (tower-facing, east facing, north-facing, etc...) we presume the crab is nearest?

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Ah, so this is why they invented walkie-talkies...)

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes says a silent prayer, asking that He might urge the tasty crab to step further into the net if it be His will, Amen.

Alexis said...

I've added an image to the blog post to answer Andrej's question. I hope it helps.

The point near the crab is the location of the reinforced crane. I trust no one will attack my crab-drawing abilities.

Alexis said...

The crab continues to remain frozen in position. The little eyes on their stalks are moving about steadily, however.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes also remains frozen in position.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - what program do you use to draw images on your hexmaps?)

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius waits frozen too.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Lovely crab. Am I one of the little figures? If so, which one?)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Microsoft Publisher, importing an image I spot-drew on Paint)

Alexis said...

Ahmet, if you look carefully, your name is written upside down behind the green man.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: when you see the scale of crab to lighthouse, you are reminded of what a BFC that thing is.

I can't wait to hit it with a rock.)

Andrej said...

The net is between the tower and the crab in that drawing?

(OOC: We all agree this is about where we intended our characters to be? I thought Ahmet and I were closer and both nearer to the lighthouse door, but won't quibble if everybody else is OK)

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius is good where he is at.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I am waiting on an action or description of lack of action from both Ahmet and Andrej, before moving along)

The net is a general circle underneath the end point on the tower crane.

If you want me to move your characters, you are free to tell me and I shall repost the image; i am not married to having your characters where they are, and because we did not do this with a map from the beginning, I could not be sure.

Andrej said...

Andrej will continue to wait, maces ready.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I was to be by the door, but then said I would move into another location to get a better view, so if that's where I moved to... that's OK. I'll try to keep the tower between me and the crab if it comes to that.)

Ahmet glowers at the crab, but waits.

(OOC: I'm thinking of rushing out, keeping the net between me and the crab, hoping it will rush at me -- and then up he goes. But I don't know if those of you up top will be able to react fast enough to pull him up before he's past the net. We should have set up some kind of prearranged signal so you would know to hoist. C'est la guerre, now we know for next time.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: I think shouting "Lift it, damn you!" would suffice but its still a risk)

Alexis said...

(GCI - general campaign information: Ahmet has plenty of room to run behind the woodpile or the tower; but the crab moves pretty fast in either case, and if it rushed Andrej and Andrej failed his initiative roll, it wouldn't matter if Andrej were standing behind the door or not)

The crab takes a cautious step forward, apparenly unaware of either Andrej or Ahmet, as all three of you are clothed in darkness; the crab is more obvious as it forms a considerable silhouette against the night horizon and the gentle light from the lighthouse.

Actions?

Nine-toes said...

Can I see the crab move forward?

Alexis said...

(GCI: it's hard to tell how long it would take to push the counterweight off the roof. Nine-toes has tried to balance it so it will go off in one push with three persons, in the space of one round ... but that is necessarily iffy)

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, yes, you can see the crab move forward ... but you are uncertain of its exact relationship to the net.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius takes a deep breath and whispers to the others atop the tower, "hold...."

Andrej said...

Andrej will continue to hold until he believes that the crab is more or less fully in the trap, attacks or retreats.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - Can Andrej or Ahmet see where the crab is in relation to the net?)

Alexis said...

Nine-toes could not possibly know the answer to that question.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'll wait a little while longer for Ahmet)

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes gestures for everyone to get ready to push and moves towards the counterbalance weight.

Andrej said...

Can Andrej see where the crab is in relation to the net?

Alexis said...

At this moment, Andrej would guess the crab has two legs on top of the net; the two front right legs, not the claw.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius will carefully and quietly pick up a boulder,lifting with his legs to prevent any OSHA-related injuries...

Alexis said...

Silvius has it in hand.

Silvius Volundr said...

The moment that Ninetoes and Company shove the counterweight, Silvius will hurl his boulder at the crab.

Nine-toes said...

Another silent prayer from Ninetoes:

"I give thee thanks, Lord, that the crab did indeed move forward. If I may dare ask another boon on the day which baptism and salvation was given me, if it pleases the Lord may He give us a sign when to drop the counterweight. Forgive your presumptious and long-winded servant Ninetoes. Amen."

Andrej said...

Can Andrej tell if the crab is consuming any of the food we used as bait?

Alexis said...

The crab is not doing anything except standing and shifting a little; giving Ahmet ten more minutes to give an action and then moving forward.

Ahmet said...

I will continue to glower and wait.

Alexis said...

The crab in its turn moves sideways a good ten feet forward and to the left, putting it about fifteen feet (three hexes from Andrej), facing the lighthouse wall. It is now nowhere near the net.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - bugger, bugger, bugger all)

Andrej said...

Andrej stands stock, perfectly still.

Alexis said...

(OOC: not to be annoyingly picky, Nine-toes, but your character swearing is actually very much in the campaign, nyet?)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - Ninetoes the character's tongue is probably currently bleeding from biting it in an attempt not to swear out loud lest the bugger-all crab decides to daintily traipse back into the net.)

Nine-toes said...

(in campaign, if he has to make some sort of save not to swear out loud, I would understand perfectly.)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Here goes nothing.)

Ahmet mouths a curse to himself, then just to be sure, mouths a prayer to Allah as well. Then he attempts to sneak forward, keeping the net between the crab and himself. The pick ax is gripped tightly in both hands.

His plan is to go unnoticed by the crab until he is in position.

(OOC: Essentially I want to move three or perhaps four hexes in a straight line forward, so the net is between me and the crab, but I am not close enough to the net that I will be caught in the net, or struck by the crab while it is in the net.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: But Ahmet's got the biggest balls of them all)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - great, not only do we not have the crab but now I have ACDC going through my head. ;) )

Ahmet said...

(OOC: First rule of D&D... protect the guy with a Cure Light Wounds spell. Besides, if he attacks you, it just puts him farther away from the net!)

Andrej said...

(OOC: see, in my view not having the crabs and humming AC/DC are only good things)

Alexis said...

It takes Ahmet one round to move to the place he wants to be; the crab takes no immediate notice.

Andrej, while Ahmet moves to your left, you can see him out of the corner of your eye while you watch the crab.

The crab only stands still and its eyes twitch.

Ahmet and Andrej, or anyone else, can take another action.

(OOC: regarding OOC, and I'm going to leave it alone after this - if you are describing what your character is doing, or how it is doing that, or what you want the final position or action of your character to be, that is IN the campaign, since you are describing your character's actions and motivations. In short, if it applies to your character, it is in the campaign. If it is an emotion your character has, it is in the campaign.

If you do not express yourself in quotes, or you do not express words meant to convey information to others, I will always assume that what you say in text is what you are thinking, not what you are saying. Thus, Nine-toes could say CRAP .. and it would still be a thought. It wouldn't be a sound unless he wrote either "CRAP!" or I make sure Silvius knows I'm really pissed off.

Hope that helps)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - thanks Alexis)

Ninetoes watches, takes no action.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Questions it's better to ask before you move, #1.

(I realize Ahmet will have to make a guess here, but... If I take a dagger and throw it at him, and it turns and bolts toward me, is it fast enough that it will be entirely past the net before my companions up top can act?

(I will assume the crab wasn't going "full speed" when we saw it earlier today, but that it probably can't go as fast as it did when it was 100% yesterday. So let's say judging from a speed that is somewhere between today's walk and yesterday's run. In Ahmet's opinion, will it clear the net faster than they can act?)

Andrej said...

Andrej holds still, ready to respond to Ahmet's lead.

Alexis said...

Ahmet has no certain idea. Too many x-factors: how fast will the crab choose to move; will it slow to attack you if you're there; how fast they can drop the counterweight; how fast the counterweight's falling will snap up the net; how much of the net will actually be under the crab's body if it rushes towards you ... Ahmet just can't know.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet takes his right hand off the pick ax, so he is holding it only with his left hand... slowly draws a dagger from his belt with his right hand... slowly brings up his right hand poised to throw...

Crabby doing anything?

Silvius Volundr said...

Alexis, can i see my party below. Silvius is going to attack if he can clearly tell that he won't kill his own men.

Alexis said...

Silvius is not 100% of the location of either Ahmet or Andrej; they're too small from 100 feet up, and it is too dark. Remember you're standing on the top of a ten story building.

Alexis said...

Nope. Crab isn't doing a thing.

Andrej said...

Andrej still waiting.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes will wait for any signal from below to raise the net.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Come on, Ahmet!)

Ahmet said...

Very well. It is time to hurl.

Ahmet throws his dagger at the crab, resisting the urge to shout anything just in case he misses.

The foul crustacean shall have no warning of danger 'til he enters the boiling waters of Crab Hell!

D20:

16

D4: (it is D4, right?)

3, +1 for Ahmet using a thrown weapon

(OOC: Not sure about the thrown weapon rules as it's been awhile since I've thrown anything. Any STR or DEX bonuses or it is what it is?)

If Ahmet hits, he hollers out an Allah Akbar! and readies his pick ax. If he misses... he hollers out one of the colorful western swear words he has learned from Nine-toes, and readies his pick ax.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: COME ON AHMET!)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Man has a knack for torture ;) )

Andrej said...

(OOC: Shit guys, I gotta go for a bit and I'm not sure when I'll next be on)

Andrej's next action would be to call up to those above "Spring the trap!" Should the crab turn and approach Ahmet.

Alexis said...

Ahmet hits!

Ahmet has a four movement, so he can throw the dagger (2 moves) and shout (1 move), but hefting his weapon is not quite doable; he gets his hand on the handle of the weapon and gets it free of his belt; but no matter, he won't use it this round anyway.

The crab is not stunned. It responds immediately, swinging around, covering the distance towards Ahmet. I roll to see if it it bulldozes over him, and find that no, it does not. It stops, swings with the first claw and catches Ahmet's shoulder, causing 6 damage. The second claw misses him completely.

From Silvius' perspective, the crab appears to be directly over the net. Everyone hears Ahmet's shout, and Silvius guesses that he can judge where Ahmet is from the swings the crab is making.

Gerhard and Rupert presume that the shout Ahmet makes is the signal, and start pushing on the wooden counterweight.

Before Ahmet can go again, I'll need actions from Andrej, Silvius and Nine-toes.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes pushes the counterweight to spring the trap.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: As I have 17 HP, I believe I am stunned?)

Alexis said...

(OOC: huh. I'm off too for an hour or so. Ahmet, you burned a lot of daylight; no matter)

That only leaves Silvius and Nine-toes.

Alexis said...

Yes, Ahmet is definitely stunned; thrown about five feet from the crab.

Alexis said...

Nine-toes, make a strength check.

Both Gerhard and Rupert make theirs.

Nine-toes said...

d20 = 6

I'm never, ever going to hit anything, but man can I make ability checks.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius drops his boulder over the edge of the tower, listening to its gentle whistle as it streaks toward the crab...

D20= 11

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I likely won't be able to get back on for about three hours, but luckily, I'm stunned anyway.)

Alexis said...

Silvius is +1 for dexterity, +1 for the bless and +3 for attempting to bomb a large target from above. However, he still misses.

Here is what happens.

Nine-toes and the others succeed in pushing the counterweight off the top of the lighthouse. It takes about a second and a quarter to reach the full length of free rope attached, about fifty feet, and at that point the velocity driven mass of the counterweight is probably greater than the mass of the giant crab.

Over the next second the the net snaps around the crab's body exactly as one would desire, hoisting it up above the ground ... whereupon the counterweight encounters resistance. Still, the crab will find itself moving vertically about 28 feet about one second. The counterweight will drop to within 22 feet of the ground.

From this point, it will take about three seconds for momentum to shift, and for the crab to fall from the height that it has been hoisted to. Ultimately, however, it will still fall at 32 feet per second per second once it gets going, so it is going to hit the ground hard.

This whole event happens in the space of one round. Damage is caused. The crab is wrapped in the net, and most definitely stunned.

Silvius Volundr said...

"Mine God...it worked!"

Silvius hastily grabs another boulder and drops it, aiming for the netted crab.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Yay!)

(OOC: Also, a bit of bookkeeping. I lost 2 HP yesterday; was last night's sleep considered "rest" or is rest only if you do nothing for 24 hours?)

Andrej said...

Andrej leaps toward the stunned crab, shouting out "I'm going in!".

Swinging once with each mace:

H: 20/ D: 3
H: 12/ D: 2

Alexis said...

Silvius, you can drop a rock next round.

Ahmet, healing naturally can only be done if you take no physical action for a 24-hour period.

Andrej, on a natural 20, re-roll the 20-sided die; tell me what that roll is, and if it is a 20, roll it again. One 20 means double-damage; two 20s means triple damage; three 20s means quadruple damage.

I had a player once roll four 20s in a row for quintuple damage ... and 1:160,000 chance.

So for the moment, the damage on that one roll is 6; I'll wait to see if you roll another 20.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Gotcha. I am at 9 HP at the moment. I'll lay here and bleed until I'm unstunned, and then it is clobbering time!)

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: Crack some shells, Ninetoes!)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - very sorry. Pet emergency. Cat's in the veterinary hospital tonight. His back legs just stopped working and we're not sure why yet.)

Ninetoes will try to get a boulder ready for dropping if he can.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: sorry to hear about your cat...that is rough.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Best wishes Ninetoes. Our family is right now prepping for the pending loss of our 2nd dog in almost as many years)

Alexis, I regret to say that the 20 was not natural. That was with my strength bonus to hit. The natural roll was a 19.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Let us know how things come out with your pet, Nine-toes)

Andrej succeeds in causing 3 damage to the crab; however, it is not completely bound, and it's body swings around, causing Andrej 2 damage in return.

But this is really all the crab can do; it cannot use its arms to fight, though is it straining with them inside the net.

Andrej, I see your current hit points are now 12, so you were not stunned - you can swing again.

Ahmet, you are able to grasp your pick, step forward and attack also.

Silvius, you have brought the rock in hand to the edge of the lighthouse catwalk. You have time to drop it now.

Nine-toes, you have gathered a rock up in your arms, and will be able to drop it over the side next round.

Silvius Volundr said...

d20: 17(unmodified)

Ahmet said...

Ahmet gets to his feet and marches forward, ready to splinter this thing's shell once and for all.

D20: 9

Sigh... must still be a little groggy.

+1 for Pick, +1 for Strength = 11

and a D6+1...

5+1, +3 for Strength... 9.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: And good thoughts all around for Nine-toes's cat and Andrej's dog)

Andrej said...

Andrej swings both maces again:

H: 10/ D: 4
H: 3/ D: 5

ouch.

Alexis said...

(OOC: my posting today is going to be sporadic and thin, at least for the next two hours. I'll do what I can)

Andrej and Ahmet both miss. But a stone falls out of the sky, scaring the living shit out of both of them, as they realize suddenly that they are in the bombing zone ... this particular rock, however, hits the crab.

Silvius, please roll damage: 3d10.

Silvius Volundr said...

3d10: 18.

Oblivious to the peril of the men at the base of the tower, Silvius hastens to collect and drop another boulder. He looks for one with sharp edges and an overall wicked look to it.

Alexis said...

I could try to play out the scenario where Andrej and Ahmet flee outwards, and shout up at the others, while Silvius and Nine-toes cheerfully go on throwing rocks until the word sinks in, but its all very predictable and time-wasting.

I certainly would have had that last stone hit Andrej or Ahmet if the dice had gone that way, but it didn't. The stone KILLS the crab. Andrej and Ahmet see that at once, for the crab stops moving, and they get out of the way in time before Nine-toes' stone falls. Eventually the word gets up to the other members of the party that the battle is over.

It is certainly one dead crab.

Experience;

Ahmet (did and took damage): 220

Andrej (did and took less damage): 121

Nine-toes (did a whack of damage by setting the trap): 180

Silvius (only finished off the last few hit points the creature had): 90

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: I almost feel bad for the crab.)

"Better get your salt, Gerhard; the bugger's dead."

Alexis said...

(OOC: if you do, Silvius, than I'm doing my job right. It had a personality and was not just a cardboard target. Aces)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Yeah, when he cam shuffling over the dike hang-dog fashion I almost mustered some pity for him. Then I thought of crab cakes. And money, hearltess cur that I am.)

Great job boys. Andrej shouts up, "We're finished. Bring a torch down with you if you want to see!"

I wonder if giant shore crabs have proper lairs...

Nine-toes said...

Whoo hoo!!

Sorry I've been out. I'm not at work today. I'll be in sporadically. Should be back tomorrow.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: Better him than us!)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - We had to put the cat down. He already needed surgery for his sinuses, he was having trouble with his heart and breathing, and the vet wasn't at all sure why his hind legs had stopped working. It could have been lymphoma. I think it was time. Thanks for the well wishes. I appreciate it.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: my deepest condolences on the loss of your family member; these are never easy times)

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: your cat obviously had done something positive to have had a good place in your family. I hope that your family goes through its grieving process as easily as is possible.)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - thank you all. It means a lot. Glad I'm playing with people who understand. He was a really great kitty. Got him from the pound nine years ago (I think he was 5 then - they weren't sure). He wasn't in pain. I'm very thankful for the time we had with him.)

Silvius Volundr said...

"Carry on, boys," Silvius bows mockingly to the lighthousemen and shakes his head. "No harm done to your ropes and what not."

He helps Ninetoes lower the crab to the ground where the others can remove it from the net.

Alexis said...

The crab is already on the ground, its the counterweight that is not. The rope will need to be cut to the counterweight to make the net around the crab go slack and bring the counterweight to the ground.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius reclaims his armor and broadsword, using the latter to cut the counterweight free. He hails his comrades below to warn them of the coming load and then joins them.

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I think the counterweight is on the opposite side of the tower, so we should be OK, though there will probably be a lot of splintered wood when that thing hits the ground!)

Ahmet attempts to retrieve his dagger (or maybe it was one of Silvius's) from the crab's hindquarters.

Alexis said...

If you attempt to cut free the counterweight from anywhere except the net immediately above the crab (which would keep the length of rope in one piece), Hans or Rupert will attempt firmly to dissuade you.

You can all sort out your weapons as you wish. I can't remember right now who gave what to who, and I don't need to go look for the reference.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius gathers his small arsenal of hurling weapons and asks Gerhard if he would like to use his dagger to free the crab from the net.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet will retrieve his shield, return the spear, two daggers and throwing ax to Silvius, and the crossbow to Nine-toes.

Then at some point he does his best to stop himself from bleeding.

Alexis said...

Silvius, Gerhard will happily leave that chore for the party; he's getting on in age, and doesn't feel all that nimble ...

Ahmet, you are NOT bleeding (ha ha). At no time did I do more than 11 damage in a single hit to you, so at worst you've got a bad bruise.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius sighs in resignation and climbs on top of the crab. He reaches up, wondering now if the crab is really and truly dead, then saws through the rope where it is tied at the net. He is looking forward to hearing the great crash of timber when the counterweight crashes down

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes will ask Silvius to wait to cut the crab down to see if they can devise a way to release the counterbalance without destroying the rope.

(OOC - I'm back today.)

Alexis said...

Too late, Nine-toes. It comes crashing down with a loud rumble.

Since there's very little else to do for the present, I will pick this up with a new post that starts in the morning. Feel free to consider your equipment gathered together, yourselves patched up and so on. Andrej won't be able to use his cure light wounds spell until he rests and prays anyway.

(GCI: I made one error yesterday, and that is that both Silvius and Nine-toes, being recently baptised, were entitled to a bonus +1 modifier, one time only, that they could apply to any given roll ... but the stipulation is that they must state this bonus before making the roll. I forgot to remind people. Consider yourself informed).