Wednesday, October 12, 2011

En Route to Scharhorn

Tuesday, August 12, 1650
Weather: cool, clear

Gerhard gives you instructions where to meet Terrell and the boat, which is ready to go when you arrive.  Terrell is a fairly impatient boy, with lots of questions about where you are going and why you're going there, and what you expect to find, and whether or not there's treasure, and have you done this many times before and if so where and how much did you find when you did it that time and so on and so forth until one of you has to threaten him.

The skiff is seaworthy but not in the greatest condition; it needs a paint job, the sails are patched and there's a certain amount of leakage.  Terrell is certain of its doing the job.

At 6 a.m. you catch the lowest tide - it's a full moon, and the tide begins to rise noticeably after 10 a.m. (this passage edited), and by then you'll want to be well out of the flats between the western point and Neuwark.  Terrell guesses it should take about two and a half hours to get to Scharhorn.

110 comments:

Andrej said...

Andrej will assist Emmanuel in loading the boat with our supplies. To recap: all "carried items" from my character sheet plus 2 spades, 1 military pick, 1 worker's pick, sack of potatoes, sack of beans, cooking pot burlap sack marked "cooking supplies" and cowhide sack marked "personal items 2.

Andrej and Emmanuel also carry in and do not wear their armor, setting these and their packs and weapons alongside our gear. Andrej stands about in his chausses and hauberk, not really sure where to stand or what to do. Terrell's questions sail past him. "To Scharhorn we go and that is all all. Sail this thing, boy."

Alexis said...

Presuming the others do the same; I'm not certain if there's anything to do at this point - I just want to give one last opportunity for people to update their intentions, alter their plans, adjust for the circumstances and so on; if everyone is good, we'll consider the party to have reached Scharhorn by the time stated.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius is excited to be underway, nearly forgetting to remove his mail before entering the rickety boat.

He brings all of his carries items, less 2# of Bacon, which he leaves behind.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet brings all his possessions, like Andrej wearing his chausses and hauberk and carrying his armor.

He eagerly volunteers to be the one to threaten Terrell.

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes brings all his possessions, but will ask Andrej if Emmanuel could watch his sack when they disembark.

In the meantime, anyone up for a game of chess during the voyage?

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - email at my office has been sketchy, I may not get updates today.)

Silvius Volundr said...

"Seems easy enough to play the game. I will give you a go, if the pot us right."

Nine-toes said...

Crap, I really need to be more specific with what I say.

Ninetoes adds that asking Emmanuel to "watch his sack" was meant in no way as an innuendo.

"Would 5 sp entice you, Silvius?"

Nine-toes said...

"Ah, there I go again. I meant, would 5 sp entice you to play chess, not to watch my sack. I am now tempted to throw this sack into the sea, but it contains my chess set, wouldn't you know it."

Ahmet said...

Ahmet turns his attention to Brother Andrej.

"What do you propose we do when we get to this island -- start digging?"

Nine-toes said...

"If I may hazard a guess on behalf of our brother, we'll use our eyes and wits before the spades. I have a talent, too, one not often used but perhaps useful here - I can sometimes sense the presence of a curse. If any of the ground's been tainted here, perchance I may sense it when we pass."

Silvius Volundr said...

"Five silvers sounds just fine. Now I should warn you that me brother, Thomas, is the best chess player in Hamburg and he only vever beat me because I let him win."

(OOC: hilarious, Ninetoes)

Alexis said...

Emmanuel watches Nine-toes' belongings.

Terrell is accurate, and after swinging around Neuwark Island (oddly viewed, considering, plus that you're seeing it from water and not across a mud flat), Scharhorn soon swings into view. Terrell brings the vessel past, swings around the west and then the south of the island, explaining the wind makes that the best way to approach.

The island is a moderate hump, about forty feet above the water, with a fairly rising west shore and a flat east shore. The wind and current are steadily driving the island east and northward.

Evidence shows quickly that no one could live there. Aside from grass, there are no berries, no trees, no ground that isn't sand overgrown with grass. The island is about 750 yards long and about 550 yards wide. The highest point would be to the west of where Terrell lands the boat.

Alexis said...

He would land the boat about midway along the south shore of the island, between where the hill starts to rise and where the grass gets boggy and the soil spongy and wet.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - are you on facebook? They have a chess there and it's free to play/join if you want to determine the outcome of the game that way (speed game, 10 minutes per side?). Otherwise, we could figure some other means to determine the winner.)

Andrej said...

"Emmanuel will be coming with us this time. My plan, should you all accept it, would be to sail a close circuit of the island if that's possible (andrej will make this request plain to Terrell). In this manner we may get a better look before we land. Upon coming ashore, Emmanuel and perhaps Terrell can set up camp and mind whichever of Ninetoes's sacks need minding while we four give the island a closer look on foot. Perhaps some feature of the island will strike us as noteworthy during our circuit and therefore guide and inform our search. If not, we go about it systematically."

Andrej pauses

"It is said that pirates use the coasts and islands near to shore in these parts, so I say we don our armor and keep our arms near to hand upon safely landing."

Nine-toes said...

"Sharp thinking as always, Brother. I concur."

Silvius Volundr said...

"Agreed, Andrej. Pirates n' druids? Now that's a fell lot, I daresay."

Silvius armors up and with spear and shield, joins the cleric.

(OOC: can't do FB chess today, 9toes...work blocks it. Use another means?)

Andrej said...

Alexis, it sounds as if we made almost a full circuit of the island based on your description. If so, and nothing jumped out at us (figuratively speaking) then upon coming ashore Andrej will assist Emmanuel in unloading the skiff and if necessary pulling it up onto shore upon Terrell's direction.

Once gear and boat are secure, Emmanuel wil assist Andrej in the donning of his armor while the latter keeps a close eye out on our surroundings.

"If nothing struck you as odd or of interest, my brothers, perhaps we should merely walk the island, spread out as if planting seed, and work our way form the outward to inward portions, arriving somewhere in the middle upon completion."

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - tell you what, do you have a real life rating? Mine's 1360. If yours is higher than that, the 5 sp are yours.)

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes first loads his crossbow to 3/4 and then moves off and begins searching part of the island. He will tap the ground ahead of him with his staff in a wide arc, moving slowly.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet nods his consent. "A wise plan."

He assists in securing the boat and gear, then dons his armor, weapons and backpack. He'll leave his sacks containing food and coins at the camp.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius mimics Ninetoes searching method, using the butt of his spear.

(OOC: Ninetoes, no FB rating. Just rolled a d100~..66)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC: 27, 5 sp are yours.)

Andrej said...

Once we're set, Andrej will direct Emmanuel to set camp... preferably someplace where we may get some protection from the wind. The gear should all be nearby camp and hopefully he and Terrel can at least find some driftwood to make a fire. Ahmet and Andrej will go about searching systematically, staying walking the shore and working our way inward. If Ninetoes and Silvius haven't gotten too far along, they may search with us. On the first circuit or two Andrej will be paying close attention to the shore and nearby waters, looking for any wreckage or boat traffic.

Alexis said...

We can presume that Terrell made one full circuit of the island before coming to land where he did.

He'll remain on the boat; he was told to by his uncle, upon pain of death. Otherwise, he'd probably drown in a bit of quicksand or something.

Could you please indicate if you are moving generally north, east, west, upslope, onto the wet flatland, etc. Every direction you go you see grass, quite a lot of sandflies (which jump up ahead of you as you walk) and sand. Now and then you're bit by a mosquito.

Nine-toes said...

Crossbow 3/4 cocked, I'll tie the rope to my waist and let 15' trail behind me (in case of quicksand, maybe somebody can pull me up).

I will prod the ground ahead of me in a 3' arc with my staff, heading generally east while praying to avoid malaria.

"Could someone remember to me whose idea this was?"

Ahmet said...

Ahmet walks with Andrej, occasionally slapping at a mosquito or cursing the sandflies.

(OOC: I believe we are trying to cover the entire island -- unless that's not feasible.)

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius moves generally upslope and on a northerly direction, looking for the hidden door in the ground that leads to the Great Druids'a treasure.

He avoids boggy looking ground.

Andrej said...

Ahmet and I are going clockwise (upslope?) from our current position. I encourage us all to stick together and do this systematically rather than split up.

Andrej said...

Andrej likewise will be tapping his staff out before him and moving cautiously.

Nine-toes said...

I would like to stick together, but I posted before I read yours. If allowed, Ninetoes will regroup with Andrej.

Andrej said...

(OOC: No worries, Ninetoes. It's a small island, but I still don't want anybody ending up like a red shirt in Star Trek.

"Has anybody seen Petty Officer Ninetoes" Scream from stage left... )

Alexis said...

Reeling in your rope?

Unless the others say so, I'll presume they're heading off as they say. Andrej will lose sight of them while he rounds the somewhat precarious western shore, where at times he has to walk four or five feet (horrors) above the waterline, where the water is quite deep. He doesn't make it too far into the marshy end before encountering some quicksand, which he easily backs off from.

Most of the time you can see each other distantly. Silvius will make his way upslope, until he climbs to the top, whereupon he can tell me what he's doing. Ahmet will make it to the north edge of the island, and still be standing there with Andrej and Nine-toes pass him by.

Terrell will start to venture a little bit away from the boat, when he sees no one is telling him not to.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - Ha!)

If I see Terrell leaving the boat, I will yell at him and make my way carefully back. I'll watch him while the others search. That is, DM permitting I change my mind yet again, and if I have not tripped over my rope by this point, fallen into quicksand, or been eaten by cannibal pirate druids.

Andrej said...

"This sucks" Andrej waves his hand toward Silvius, atop the hill "Perhaps you should have followed our boisterous friend, Ahmet."

Andrej will seek drier ground, and a higher vantage from which to view the island, presumably with Ahmet in tow. If this puts us on a path to Silvius, so be it. If there is a rise or spur nearer to our current position, we'll move toward that.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius lights up a cigar, congratulating himself on not falling in quicksand. Sensing that he has found an ancient burial mound, he begins plying the ground with hia speartip while occasionally keeping watch on the others.

Alexis said...

When you see Terrell leave the boat, he is a good 400 yards away. But he hasn't hurt himself by the time you get back around.

Andrej, you don't see anything out in the water, not even Neuwark Island ... it is clearly too low and too far to be seen. On Neuwark, you recall Scharhorn looking greyish blue and without any features except its silhouette.


The best vantage point from which to view the island is the top, where Silvius is.

Andrej said...

Let us convene then on the top, save for Ninetoes, who is looking after Terrell and Emmanuel who is hopefully setting up a camp and finding driftwood for a fire.

Alexis said...

Sorry, yes about Emmanuel. The prevailing wind is northwest, fairly fresh, and he is setting camp on the lee of the hill towards the south shore, a good fifteen feet above the waterline. He's started to cook, too, so when people start to come in they can eat.

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius lights up a cigar, congratulating himself on not falling in quicksand. Sensing that he has found an ancient burial mound, he begins plying the ground with hia speartip while occasionally keeping watch on the others.

Nine-toes said...

I'll bring Terrell over to eat.

What do we owe Andrej for food, anyway?

"I believe I've though of a use for this island. Should we ever find ourselves with a dire enemy, I propose we get the person very drunk, tell them there's buried treasure on this island and then hope he falls into quicksand."

Andrej said...

Ninetoes, nothing. You all bought into the current stores, if I remember correctly, so won't owe anything until we need more stores.

I'll deduct a days' worth for 6 from my character sheet, Alexis)

Turning to Silvius as he smokes, "I admit it. I'm at a loss, and suddenly remembering quite fondly a certain inn in Eichstadt."

Andrej turns about and surveys all of the island, carefully looking for some sign of anything amiss or of interest.

"It appears as if the wind and current move the isle. What manner of place is this?"

Turning and looking about again, hoping for some visible clue, "We could dig as Ahmet once suggested. Sometimes to see what a thing is, you must go beneath what it is showing you."

Nine-toes said...

"I'll dig till I hit sea water, which I imagine will be shortly."

"I did have a thought - could low tide expose caves or the like by the shore?"

Andrej said...

What is the state of the tide and time of day currently, Alexis?

Silvius Volundr said...

"Good thinking, lads." Silvius takes a turn with the shovel, digging into the high ground.

"Must be some reason that druids were here instead of on Neuwark."

Andrej said...

Alexis, one other thing. Andrej's field of study is Legends and Folklore, his specialty Artifcats and Beasts. Is it possible this island is in truth some legendary artifact or beast (roll?)

Alexis said...

Caves would require limestone, Nine-toes. This seems to be a heaped up pile of sand, steadily built by millions of years of steady sea currents.

The time of the day is now noon, which would put the tides at their highest.

The view from the top is quite wide-ranging. You can see for a good four miles and then some, picking out the thin sliver of Neuwark about three miles off.

Keeping with Andrej's earlier suggestion that he was keeping an eye out at the water, and not being a stickler about this, he spies something about two miles SSE of the island...a sandbar with something black on top of it. Andrej would estimate it as being very much larger than a house.

Andrej said...

I'll await a response to my latest question before taking action.

Alexis said...

Roll a percentile die, Andrej.

Andrej said...

90%. Not very good at all.

Silvius Volundr said...

"Is that a ship?" asks Silvius, his cigar momentarily forgotten.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet peers toward the sand bar, trying to make out what the black thing is. Some nautical leviathan, perhaps.

He looks at Emmanuel. "What lies yonder?"

(OOC: This being the highest of high tides, whatever it is must be usually visible during low tide, no?)

Nine-toes said...

"I'm in favor of investigating if we can reach it enough before dark."

Andrej said...

Ahmet, it could be that whatever it is is quite big and we could walk from here to there at low tide.

Assuming that my 90% was a miss, can we discern anything else about the black object from upon the hill? If not, or upon discovering what we can Andrej suggests to his companions we make for the camp being set by Emmanuel and call both Terrell and Ninetoes there to confer.

Andrej said...

Also, I'm a little confused about the tides... did they drop precipitously at 8AM as explained in the original post above and then rise again?

Alexis said...

I'm getting my tides mixed up; I knew I would.

It's the full moon, so high tide should be at midnight and at noon. That means 6 a.m. this morning was the lowest possible tide, not the highest. Still, Cuxhaven itself is accessible in every tide; when you would have come around the island, it would have been between the tides, and the water out there was deep and so you couldn't walk out to whatever it is. This is the high tide right now, so whatever it is has to be exposed no matter what the tide is.

90% indicates that Andrej has no knowledge whatsoever of this island or anything surrounding it.

The black object is not upon a hill, as I said, but upon a sand bar.

Ahmet, Emmanuel is not upon the top of the hill, and it can only be seen from the top of the hill. Neither Emmanuel, Nine-toes or Terrell know anything about it as yet.

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - of course, now that we may have actually found something, I will be out the rest of the evening. Ninetoes would like a closer look at whatever Andrej spotted. Have fun storming the sandbar!)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Perhaps good timing anyway, we can plan an approach and embark upon it tomorrow real-world time, Alexis willing).

Assuming we convene about the camp let us discuss our options as we await an early supper from Emmannuel. I instructed him to not cook the bacon today, Ahmet.

1) I think Ahmet's question may have been actually intended for Terrell, or if not Andrej will ask the boy if he knows anything about the black object upon the sand bar once we are together at camp.

2) Further, Andrej will ask Terrell if there is more of the island exposed at low tide, to his knowledge, which should be at its nadir in 6 hours (close to nightfall).

3) Once we sup and get more information, I suppose we decide how best to investigate: by boat immediately or wait and see what the tide will show us.

Andrej said...

(OOC: No worries about the tides, Alexis)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: I was asking Emmanuel, but Terrell makes more sense. But we might as well ask both of them.

I'm all for pausing until tomorrow; I'll likely be unavailable for next few hours.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: oh heck. I make mistakes)

First of all, let me say that from the ground below the summit (40 feet above the water is not much of a summit, but there you are), the black object is not visible.

Terrell knows of no 'island' out there. There's seven bars he knows of out there, none of them above water at high tide and certainly none of them with a large black object on it. He's seen every one of those bars out there, sailed around them to know the size, but he says, "I've never seen what you think you saw. You never saw it, that's what I think."

Silvius Volundr said...

How far away would we eatimate the bar to be, Alexis?

Alexis said...

two miles.

Andrej said...

"Then we shall see what we shall see, I suppose. Who is up for immediately sailing out to the black object and the sand bar that isn't there?"

Nine-toes said...

"I'm for investigating the sand bar. This island has little to recommend it."

Silvius Volundr said...

"Suppose its related to the druidic rituals? No matter, let us go see what that is.'

Ahmet said...

"Aye, let's take a look."

Alexis said...

So ... action?

Nine-toes said...

I am loathe to do this, since everytime I state an action it seems I'm contradicting it two seconds later, but since no once else has spoken yet...

Ninetoes asks Terrell to take them to the sandbar Andrej saw.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet casts his eye around the island. "Should we leave Emmanuel here on this godforsaken island to watch the camp, or should we pack up everything and leave?"

Silvius Volundr said...

Silvius removes his armor once more and boards the skiff, awaiting the others.

Alexis said...

Emmanuel looks at the work he's done ruefully to set up the camp, and asks if he could simply be left to be here.

"You and your friends could then find rest here at once, Master, rather than returning all the way to Cuxhaven."

Alexis said...

Terrell is doubtful, but since his boat is at your disposal, he'll agree to take you out. Barring the possibility that Andrej overrides Emmanuel, and you pack your things, I'll presume you've climbed aboard and started on your way over. It is a trip of only half an hour, as Terrell must tack into the wind ... and it becomes clear that there is nothing out here.

"'tis as I said," says Terrell. "There's no bar above the waterline at high tide. It's what makes it dangerous." And with that he'll take for two or three minutes, to where the party soon finds the boat in only a foot of water, with the sand and its ripples clearly visible beneath.

"This is Hook's bar," says Terrell, "The largest. It's thirty acres big at low tide ... but its the only bar south south east of Scharhorn."

Silvius Volundr said...

"But it was here...something was here..."

Silvius begins to poke and prod the sandbar with his spear. If we are not close enough to do so, Silvius will instruct Terrell to get us close.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet looks over the side at the sandbar for a few moments, then stands back, folds his arms and looks at the others.

"I tire of this," he gropes for the word, "wild ghost chase. We are wasting our time. Let's be on the road to Hamburg."

Nine-toes said...

"Something's afoot here. Andrej, is this where you saw somthing? Could the tide have buried it in as much time as it took to reach here?"

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes has another thought:

"We did hear tell of druids in the area. What if this is a magical entrance that only appears at a certain time of day? Could such a thing be unheard of? Andrej, what time exactly did you see what you saw?"

Alexis said...

Andrej did not have a watch.

Also, Ahmet and Silvius saw it also. It was plain as day.

Nine-toes said...

Could we estimate the time and be back at this spot tomorrow at the approximate time of the occurence? Just asking if it's possible, no guarantee anyone else is invested in this idea.

Alexis said...

Terrell will ask Silvius, "Close to what?" He turns the boat back around into the wind, taking it off the sandbar, explaining he doesn't wish to run aground. "I can't find something without knowing where it is ... or what it is. What did it look like with a glass?"

Ahmet said...

"We had no glass, but it was black and bigger than a house. Perhaps it was another ship, or the great fish that swallowed Jonah."

Ahmet tries to remember. Was it round, square, rectangular?

Alexis said...

Terrell will laugh at Ahmet, enjoying that he has a bit of superiority. "There's a glass right there in the box under your ass," he says. "You should have asked."

Alexis said...

It was sometime about noon, Nine-toes.

Nine-toes said...

"I am in favor of surveying this on the morrow at the same time. Did we slay the crab in a day? Yet that was a profitable venture, was it not? An object appears and disappears - this is worth another day's venture to me. If the rest are against me, I'll not complain, though."

Andrej said...

(OOC: Was tied up folks)

Andrej does not override the decision to leave Emmanuel behind.

"Queer things afoot, Ninetoes. We three saw it plain as day. It was the noon hour and high tide, or thereabouts."

Assuming Terrell is pointing us back to the island, once there Andrej will ask to borrow the glass and climb the hill once more, welcoming any to join him.

Silvius Volundr said...

"Agreed Ninetoes. It may just be a trick of the sun...or perhaps it is truly something more. Terrell, take us back to Scharnhorn."

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes will again babysit Terrell while the others so any investigating.

"Terrell, are you able to stay with us another day, or will you be expected back on the morrow?"

Ahmet said...

Ahmet glowers at Terrell for a moment. But curiosity finally gets the better of him and he stands in order to retrieve the spy glass.

He peers through it toward Scharhorn to see if he can spot Emmanuel and the camp. If he can't see him, or if he does and all appears well, he sweeps the horizon to see anything of note.

He doesn't take the glass away from his eye but listens as the others discuss remaining for another day. He doesn't utter any words, but his scowl says it all.

Alexis said...

Terrell will grin at Nine-toes.
"I'm expected back to-morrow, but perhaps there's been trouble with the boat ... Friar, I will climb the hill with you. And I'll take my sextant."

Ahmet, the telescope is 10 inches long and collapsible. As Terrell brings you back to the island, within a half mile you can make out some bit of detail on the side of the hill, which in time proves to be Emmanuel and the camp. You get a pretty good view of Emmanuel himself at about 250 yards, though he but appears tiny.

The sun is still high in the sky when you land again at the island ...about one and a half bells. It takes only a bit to climb the hill again, and once you mount the top - and not until you mount the top - you can see the black object again.

Andrej said...

Do we discern any more detail using the glass? I make sure Terrell gets a good look and uses his sextant to ascertain position.

"Perhaps whatever it is left or disappeared when we approached... or maybe one can only see it from this spot due to some magic."

Alexis said...

Presuming it was obtained from Ahmet (some DMs are sticklers, make you go down the hill again, ask for it from Ahmet, etc.), the glass reveals that it is a ship...and quite a big one. It appears to have been ripped asunder through the middle, with little upper deck remaining, and the back portion buried beneath the sand.

Terrell can see it too, now, and begins to take a sighting on it. He's astounded to find that adults have not lied to him, or played a joke on him, and excited now to find where it is.

Andrej said...

"Terrell, can you sail us to that ship now?"

Are there any other distinguishing characteristics of the ship? A figurehead? Sails marked with a symbol or flag? Signs of fire or battle?

Alexis said...

"I can sail to the spot," says Terrell, "...but I'm pretty sure we've passed by there in just the last hour. Upon the ground, there's nothing to see - except -" and here he pauses; "Could be that it's a permanent phantasm; my master's told me of them. They create a screen of illusion that encircles a space." He raises his hand above his head, "but they only go so high. Could be we're above that height, and that's why we can see it."

Alexis said...

He mumbles shyly, and then mentions how he's due in a month to travel to Hamburg to study the arts of illusion. "I know something about it," he adds sheepishly.

Alexis said...

Even with the glass it is hard to make out any more detail. It does not look like a battle, nor a fire. A storm typically leaves the hull in a single piece, though split, and usually with the deck still evident. This looks more like a god took it in two hands and broke it open like bread.

Silvius Volundr said...

"So we must sail to it and then not trust our very eyes. Perhaps Emmanuel can stay here on the hill to guide us with tge glass."

Silvius eyes the boy, Terrell with some newfound respect.

Nine-toes said...

"Does an abandoned ship protected by an illusion peak your interest, my swarthy friend?" says Ninetoes to Ahmet.

"No one casts an illusion about a wreck but that there is something worth hiding within. Can you see anyway into the ship from the outside? I've a new grappling hook to try out, if we're all for going over the side and having a look."

"And you, son, have done us a great service." (hands Terrell a silver piece, if he'll have it)

Andrej said...

Andrej, picking up Ninetoes line of reasoning "Or the illusion is cast not upon the wreck, but what has been wrecked upon. In any event, a thing of interest."

Andrej also nods to Terrell and gives the boy a pat on the back.

Andrej will make ready to launch inthe boat again, assuming Terrell is still willing. This time, though, he wears his arms and armor.

Nine-toes said...

Back in the boat, hoping the others are willing to join.

Silvius Volundr said...

(OOC: I will be busy for the next 2-3 hours)

Silvius will not don his armor. He will leaving it I'm the boat. He will arm himself fully though and wanta to enter/board/explore the phantom ship.

Ahmet said...

Ahmet shrugs. "If this phantasm bears real treasure, I'll not complain as we carry it off."

He dons his arms and armor and joins the others aboard the skiff.

Alexis said...

"Aye," says Terrell, "We do not trust our eyes. We trust this." he point at the low end of Scharhorn, and at the wrecked ship, and raises the sextant. "We find our way there like Drake."

Terrell won't be bought, and merely turns away from the silver. "The wreck out there is a danger to navigation; there's a hundred gold in bounty for finding it and making it known."

And do others take their arms and armor?

Nine-toes said...

Ninetoes is armed. Crossbow is 3/4 cocked once we approach where we think the wreck is.

Andrej said...

(OOC: I'll be tied up in about 2 minutes for the next couple of hours as well, but will pop back in when I am able).

Alexis said...

(OOC: I don't want to move too far forward with half the party gone at this crucial juncture, but I'll propose going this far - and this has been Corrected)

Terrell again takes the boat out, and after a great deal of manuevering, bringing you to the middle of the afternoon, he announces that you're at the place where you ought to be at. All around you there is only ocean, with Scharhorn two miles off. Terrell says he might be out of place by a hundred yards or so, but it is certainly in the immediate vicinity.

At this point, NINE-TOES expresses that he can feel something cursed that is very close - no more than 60 feet away. He points in a direction; Terrell maneuvers the boat, and the boat's prow hits sand ... although there is no sand evident, for the boat looks on every side to be in deep water.

Terrell announces he cannot move the boat; NINE-TOES moves to the prow and stands upon it, still feeling the curse, and at that moment ...


(Continued on next post)

(my apologies Nine-toes)

Nine-toes said...

(OOC - hey, I've got to make myself as useful as I can! Sorry to quibble.)

Nine-toes said...

(also OOC - This is getting good! My favorite part so far.)

Ahmet said...

(OOC: This is gonna be good)

Alexis said...

(OOC: not at all a quibble. I am quite sincerely sorry. I don't know you all as well as I ought to)