Thursday, September 15, 2011

Age & Hit Points

This game has served as an inspiration to do more to finish my character generation table.  I built the part that determines character ages last night, and wow ... is that excellent.  I will never have to generate these numbers manually again.  I love that.

Age affects stats, and since you're all human and mature, you're all affected the same way.  Nine-toes is 24 years old; Sean's as yet unnamed fighter is 25 years old; and Ahmet-oglu Ahmet is 26.  Nine-toes was born on February 14, 1626.  Sean's fighter was born on March 11, 1625.  Ahmet was born on March 24, 1624.  Which, having just generated the numbers, strikes me as a close pattern.

For all three characters, add a point of strength and a point of constitution.  This gives Nine-toes a strength of 16 and a constitution of 13.  This gives Sean a strength of 13 and a constitution of 17.  And because Ahmet's strength is a percentage, it goes up 10%, so that makes his strength 18/31 and his constitution 17.

The players may not be familiar with my hit points system.  Your actual hit points are now a combination of the die needed for your class, your constitution and your mass.  The latter can be read about here and here.  I know that Butch has read them, but perhaps not for awhile.  I'll answer any questions that need asking on the subject.

Basically, it means that Sean, say, starts with the d10 for a fighter; gets +3 hit points with his brand new 17 constitution; and then gets a d8 to determine the number of hit points for his mass.  If he were a smaller creature, the mass would be rolled on a smaller die.  Because all my player characters start the first level at maximum hit points for level, Sean gets 10+3 for the first two ... but he does not get maximum hit points for his mass.  I roll that, getting a 6 - which gives Sean 19 hit points to start.

Using the same numbers, Ahmet starts with 17 hit points.  Nine-toes, a monk, starts with 2d6 for hit points, and has no constitution bonus for his 13 constitution.  Rolling his mass, I see that Ninetoes starts with 17 hit points as well.

So you guys can take a bit of a beating.  Good on ya.

Well, it's my birthday today, making me all of 47.  I don't know how much time I'm going to have once the morning goes by.  Apart from the equipment list, and you fellows choosing your weapon proficiencies, what else is there to do?

33 comments:

James C. said...

Happy birthday, Alexis.

Silvius Volundr said...

This is Sean. Unless you see a problem, Alex, this is my character'a name.

When I have played in this sort of format before, it was on a closed website. If I "subscribe to email" on this blog, does it alert me to updates? Any other suggestions?

Have a great birthday, Alex. Go do something fun today.

Alexis said...

The name is fine. I'll let others answer the question about subscribing or following, as they probably have more experience with it than I.

James C. said...

Sean, In the past I would simply check the blog in the morning to see if there was a new post up and the subscribe to that. The problem, though, is that in a single day the threads could get quite long and you'd end up with a lot of e-mail alerts in your in-box. After that I'd just check in quickly when I had time to actually play.

Jeremiah said...

Happy birthday, Alexis.

Jeremiah said...

Alexis -

I have a question about monks in your campaign: Are they restricted in the amount of wealth/magic items they may carry as written in the PH? If they are, I would like to have Nine-toes donate whatever share of the wealth he gets that he can't carry to an existing monastery or school for the martial arts (if any exists close enough for him to donate to them).

Of course, if this stricture doesn't apply for monks in your game, Nine-toes will gladly keep whatever wealth he manages to obtain. :)

Silvius Volundr said...

Coincidentally, Silvius will be opening an "existing monastery or school for the martial arts" whose goal is the conversion of debt to equity...

...it is all very complicated.

Alexis said...

I don't have any restrictions on the acquisition of wealth that correspond to ridiculous rules in the player's handbook. On the other hand, if you are given a donation by someone for a church or facility, while you can lift it, people will tend to see that as embezzlement ...

Can NPC's get a low interest rate if they have trouble getting their kick ass skills out of escrow?

Ahmet said...

I am following this blog using Google Reader, which quickly updates when there is a new post. Two caveats however -- you have to check Google Reader yourself for updates (you don't get an email), and it doesn't allow you to view comments.

I've also used Sage and other RSS readers, but the same caveats apply.

However, if you comment on a new post, you can check off the box to be notified of new comments. That you do get via email.

I have used "subscribe to this blog" on other blogspot blogs, but I find you don't get a notification for several hours after the new post goes up.

Ahmet said...

And oh yeah... Happy birthday, Alexis!

Silvius Volundr said...

After reading that To Train a Cleric post, I would say that NPC's like Emannuel would be subjected to brutal lending rates that bordered on criminal behavior.

Silvius Volundr said...

Thanks Ahmet. One more thing, HTF do I get my avatar to display in my posts? I am using Google reader and it shows in my profile...

Ahmet said...

I tried to add one... let's see if this works...

Ahmet said...

No it didn't.

Ahmet said...

Hey, I figured it out!

Click on your own name in the comments thread above. If you are signed in, you should have a blue "Edit Profile" button on the left-hand side.

Click on that and it should be obvious from there.

Silvius Volundr said...

Let's see if this works...

Silvius Volundr said...

You rule, Butch. Thanks for the help.

Alexis said...

Are we going to be stuck with Bruce Willis for Ahmet? Not that I don't love Bruno ... he just ain't 1650.

Silvius Volundr said...

Works!

Nine-toes said...

Guess I'll go with an image from the era.

Alexis said...

Want me to shave off the lettering at the bottom?

Butch said...

Wow, I commented one that thread way back in 2008! I was such a good-looking kid then.

Ahmet said...

How's this?

Alexis said...

Much better.

Andrej said...

Also just a test.... finally figured out how to access the Andrej account.

Nine-toes said...

Alexis - if that was directed at me, yes please.

Nine-toes said...

Scraping off the lettering, I mean.

Alexis said...

Sure. Send me the url and I'll post in on the blog post-haste.

Nine-toes said...

I saved it on the home computer, now I can't relocate it on the web. I'll go with this fellow, who looks to be tonsured (or balding in that fashion) and the wart may suit my charisma of 11.

Nine-toes said...

For weapon proficiencies, I choose crossbow and staff.

Silvius Volundr said...

Suffice to say, Silvius will have a hammer or six.

Alexis, I am assuming that we can choose our proficirncies once we see your equipment list?

Alexis said...

Yes, if you want to wait until then. I won't need your proficiencies in stone until we actually start to play.

Ahmet said...

As Silvius said... I'll wait. But certainly I'll be taking pick and... pick, throwing. ;)