Monday, July 12, 2010

Gentlemen ...

I think it is time to admit this.  I think that I must end these campaigns.

More and more the commitment on my part has been waning, particularly since my workload has been increasing steadily at my job, which I started five and a half months ago.  I have less time at work to play.  I'm finding that, when I am home, I have no interest in the campaign at all.  That, I must accept, is a sign.

I have been pressing myself to write the fiction I wish to write more regularly, with a thousand words a day; I started a novel on the 1st of April, which I've just finished.  I am 13,000 words into a second novel.  That's the dedication that I applying to that venture.  That is the reason I'm not running an online campaign at home.

In many ways, I'm running out of time.

So let me wrap up.

Symeon, I don't fault you; obviously something was keeping you from posting through the day, and I was having trouble finding a thread for you to follow.  I was going to give you a vision from drinking the water, that would show you finding a young boy, and sneaking him north along the coast to an uncertain place (that would turn out to be Chalcidice), while he protected a copper bowl (the womb) that was capable of restoring life to the dead.  In other words, I was reduced to giving you a quest, with no definite rule about whether you'd undertake it.  I suppose it wasn't the best of ideas.

Andrej and Avel, it turned out that the two of you were also on a quest, though I did hope it was voluntary.  Chgowiz was meant to join you again; he did roll up a character two weeks ago, but with the exception of explaining that he was delayed by life, he hasn't spoken to me.  I feel he would have joined, but even so I think we've all gotten a bit tired of trying to make this happen through the computer.

My plan was to show that Albert was, in fact, a cousin of Eberhardt Hornung; that on some level, he did have the right to ask for rent, and that there would be some difficulty in legality.  I hoped somehow to encourage him and the party to take on this enormous beast, which was going to wander around for weeks if necessary, tearing down trees, knocking over shacks, whatever was necessary to get the party involved.  I don't know exactly how you would have killed it, but that wasn't my problem.

But it's all over now.  I wish you all well, I know I'm leaving you in the lurch and so on.  I hope there was some enjoyment.  All in all, however, it is no substitute for a real campaign.  If I were to try this on line again, I would do it through some system where we could meet online on a given evening, and play real time.  I don't see that happening anytime soon.  I am, however, leaving it on a shelf, so you may not want to destroy your characters.

I will be continuing with the Tao of D&D, and I will be available as before for feedback.

So long, and be well.

4 comments:

James C. said...

Such is the fate of many campaigns, I suppose. I have to say that while lately things were a bit labored, there was a time when we could really get the game to sing in this format, so I wouldn't necessarily agree with all of your points Alexis. There were some advantages to this format, but I suppose those were not enough to overcome entropy. I'm game for anyhting you'd like to try in the future, and appreciate the time anc care you put into it. Best of luck with the novels, I'll see you around on the other blog.

- Andrej

Avel said...

No worries. I'd rather see you have fun with something than labor through a game that no longer interests you.

Symeon Kokolas said...

It seems neither of us were in a position to play as much as we would have liked. To be honest, I was a little surprised that it lasted this long. It had to be frustrating for you to only have a few posts a week to work with. Still, I think you did an excellent job. Choosing to end it now before the quality drops off is yet another sign that you know what you're doing. Thank you for the time and effort you put in, and the enjoyment I had because of it. I will of course continue my addiction to your most excellent blog and will try to chime in when I have something I think is helpful. Thanks again for your time.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to apologize for vanishing. I was called away to prison for 18 months, which tended to crimp my social life. Thank you for the campaign that I was totally engrossed in. When I can remember my email passwords, I will visit again.

John/Nasira